Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Vote for Barry and Stafford for the Madden 25 Cover!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davisblack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Vote for Barry and Stafford for the Madden 25 Cover! Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/feature/madden25cover

Barry is going up against Ron Rivera which should be an easy win for him. Stafford is up against Doug Martin. He should win that, but if he does he will have to go up against RGIII(most likely) so he will need our help.

Personally I think Barry has a great shot and I would love to see him on the cover of Madden.

Go Vote!
#6 P Sam Martin
#45 FB Jed Collins
EhJae

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Vote for Barry and Stafford for the Madden 25 Cover! Reply with quote

davisblack wrote:
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/feature/madden25cover

Barry is going up against Ron Rivera which should be an easy win for him. Stafford is up against Doug Martin. He should win that, but if he does he will have to go up against RGIII(most likely) so he will need our help.

Personally I think Barry has a great shot and I would love to see him on the cover of Madden.

Go Vote!

With the season Martin had last year, I think he will beat Stafford. If Matt wins, then he will most likely lose to RG3.

I think Barry will go far in his bracket but I just don't see an "old school" player winning the cover vote.

I think it would have been cool to pair the "new school" with the "old school" and have a dual cover, like the Fitzgerald and Polumalu year. I think that would have made things interesting.
#71 Riley Reiff
ahoda

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RG3 will win this contest in a run away.
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahoda wrote:
RG3 will win this contest in a run away.

RG3 won't be running for a few months, at least.

(bahahaha I'm sorry, I had to)

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
wilson2k3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saying... Megatron on the cover > 4-12 season

He didn't get a major injury, but we sure didn't have a good season. Are Lions fans the only ones who forget about the Madden curse?

Do Lions fans get why Rodgers in Green Bay didn't win? Its cause all of Green Bay voted for Megatron to win, along with all the Vikings, and Bears fans.

Eddie George of the Tennessee Titans (injured following season)
Daunte Culpepper of the Minnesota Vikings (season ending injury)
Marshall Faulk of the St.Louis Rams (ankle injury)
Michael Vick of the Atlanta Falcons (broke his fibula)
Ray Lewis of the Baltimore Ravens (broken wrist & no ints all season)
Donovan McNabb of the Philadelphia Eagles (sports hernia)
Shaun Alexander of the Seattle Seahawks (fractured his foot)
Vince Young of the Tennessee Titans (injured his quad & suicide watch)
Brett Favre of the Green Bay Packers (traded & injured bicep)
Troy Polamalu of the Pittsburgh Steelers (knee injuries & no playoffs) and Larry Fitzgerald of the Arizona Cardinals (rib injury with playoff games missed)
Drew Brees of the New Orleans Saints (great season...beat by an average wildcard team in playoffs)
Peyton Hillis of the Cleveland Browns (injured his hamstring)
Calvin Johnson of the Detroit Lions (broken fingers & sets record & Lions only win 4 games)

Call it what you want. Johnson might have set a new record, but the Lions only won 4 games, IMO I call that part of the course. Yet more ignorant Lions fans want to vote Stafford on the cover. There is a reason why the most popular teams in the league didn't vote for their players.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilson2k3 wrote:

Just . . . no. I think the Madden Curse is ridiculous to begin with, but the curse is supposed to be about the player on the cover getting injured or regressing personally. Calvin followed up his cover appearance with another outstanding season and broke the receiving record. The rest of the team collapsing is not "Madden Curse" material unless you're reaching for the sake of satisfying your superstition.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Maverick12

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilson2k3 wrote:

He didn't get a major injury, but we sure didn't have a good season. Are Lions fans the only ones who forget about the Madden curse?

Do Lions fans get why Rodgers in Green Bay didn't win? Its cause all of Green Bay voted for Megatron to win, along with all the Vikings, and Bears fans.

Troy Polamalu of the Pittsburgh Steelers (knee injuries & no playoffs) and Larry Fitzgerald of the Arizona Cardinals (rib injury with playoff games missed)
Drew Brees of the New Orleans Saints (great season...beat by an average wildcard team in playoffs)
Calvin Johnson of the Detroit Lions (broken fingers & sets record & Lions only win 4 games)

Call it what you want. Johnson might have set a new record, but the Lions only won 4 games, IMO I call that part of the course. Yet more ignorant Lions fans want to vote Stafford on the cover. There is a reason why the most popular teams in the league didn't vote for their players.

The curse was Mayhew not addressing the secondary. Laughing

Sig credit: Smack

Team Stylish
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Curse ins't real. Rolling Eyes

I'll be voting for Barry and Stafford all the way.
thenoilif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would actually like to see a AD/Barry dual cover. The two greatest pure runners the game has ever seen but Barry was already on a dual cover with RG3 last year for NCAA Football 2013 so I doubt EA goes with the same formula/player.
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thenoilif wrote:
I would actually like to see a AD/Barry dual cover. The two greatest pure runners the game has ever seen but Barry was already on a dual cover with RG3 last year for NCAA Football 2013 so I doubt EA goes with the same formula/player.

I wouldn't consider Barry Sanders a "pure runner" because he's one of the more unconventional backs in history (usually skipped the first hole looking for a home run, danced behind the line a lot, often tackled for a loss). He is no doubt one of the best of all time, but there aren't a whole lot of coaches that would teach their players to try to emulate his running style.

As for AD, he's presently an elite RB no doubt, and likely on his way to the Hall of Fame, but I think it's way too early to call him "the best pure runner the game has ever seen" when you have guys like Jim Brown and Walter Payton out there.

MrDrew wrote:

DetroitSpirit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The curse was Calvin being allergic to the endzone.
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DetroitSpirit wrote:
The curse was Calvin being allergic to the endzone.

Or getting tackled on the one yard line six times.

MrDrew wrote:

davisblack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First round voting ends tomorrow so go vote if you haven't already.
#6 P Sam Martin
#45 FB Jed Collins
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilson2k3 wrote:

This is so ironic.

If Peyton Manning would have been on the cover 2 years ago, him sitting out the next season due to his neck would have been blamed on the Madden Curse. Peyton Hillis was a one year wonder. Not good his whole career and finally a break out season and people expect him to duplicate? Him not doing it is because of the Madden Curse?

Stafford never was on the cover, but if he was after his rookie year, would him missing almost all of his second year have been due to the Madden Curse?

Truth is, almost nobody duplicates prior seasons success. And chances are, the guy on the Madden Curse will be subject to that as well.

Stafford and Barry FTW!
thenoilif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
thenoilif wrote:

I wouldn't consider Barry Sanders a "pure runner" because he's one of the more unconventional backs in history (usually skipped the first hole looking for a home run, danced behind the line a lot, often tackled for a loss). He is no doubt one of the best of all time, but there aren't a whole lot of coaches that would teach their players to try to emulate his running style.

As for AD, he's presently an elite RB no doubt, and likely on his way to the Hall of Fame, but I think it's way too early to call him "the best pure runner the game has ever seen" when you have guys like Jim Brown and Walter Payton out there.

I think we have different definitions of "pure runner". For me it means that they are the type of player that can just go out there and play. They don't rely on a scheme (Terell Davis) or a dominant OL (Emmitt) in order to produce. Barry's skillset as far as acceleration, agility, vision and field awareness are to this day unmatched by a RB and these are some of the most valuable traits that a RB needs. In fact the gap between he and next great back that was similar in style (Gale Sayers) in those three catergories is fairly wide. Barry showed that he could succeed in various schemes (run-n-shoot, pro-set) and be surrounded by minimal talent. He made so many of the great defensive players of his time look so foolish trying to tackle him I don't see how you can't say that he isn't the greatest pure runner of all time.

You can argue that the talent around him was more than minimal but I watched every Lions game from the day Barry first walked out onto the Silverdome carpet until the day he retired and the offensive talent outside of a few very good receivers was average at best.

I don't know how many times a defender was in the backfield with his arms around Barry as soon as he received the handoff. How can you call this missing the first hole? If you watch Barry's college and rookie season game tape you will see that he started out hitting the holes and being a more north/south runner but as his career progressed, his OL talent diminished, and more and more pressure was put on him to be the offense, he started having more negative plays because he took it upon himself to try and score on every play. To this day, I don't think I've seen a defense gameplan specifically to stop one player more than they did to stop Barry. Whenever Millen or Madden did a Lions game, there were several instances where they would pull up game film of a previous play and circle all of the defenders in the box "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8" Madden would count. It's no wonder the likes of Scott Mitchell, Erik Kramer, and Rodney Peete had some decent season in Detroit especially when they went to the Run n' Shoot.

Peterson on the other hand may not have any one skillset that is above every other back that has played the game but he is top 5 in basically every catergory (speed, power, agility, acceleration, vision, awerness) and like Barry when he's on the field he just plays. There has never been a RB with his overall ability.

I also had the opportunity to watch Walter Payton during his peak years up until he retired and I will agree that was a great runner but he and Peterson are very similar in their style so I have to give it to Peterson given that he is just as productive if not moreso and has much better intangibles.

Jim Brown is a difficult guy to rate these days. He was the Wilt Chamberlain of football. He was just so much bigger, and athletically gifted than every other player during his time that he dominated the same way Wilt did. Put Brown in today's NFL and I wouldn't be surprised if his legacy would be the same, Peterson and he are similar in size but Peterson still has him beat in most of the skillsets listed above.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: