Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NT Isaac Sopoaga signs with Eagles
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oland11

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
JayAp07 wrote:
Saw this quote earlier on PFF before we signed him. Couldn't find it again until now when CSN put out an article.

Quote:
“Sopoaga is one of these guys who has benefited from the talent around him. Massively,” PFF wrote on Wednesday. “Hidden amongst all the gems of the 49ers’ defensive line has been his inability to make much of an impact. He doesn’t eat up blocks, get off them, or get up field. He’s just a body, and personally we wouldn’t spend $4 million per year on a guy who is always going to be replaceable. He was our fourth-lowest ranked defensive tackle last year.”

What do you guys make of this? I haven't really seen him play much but I was always under the impression that he was at very least a solid player. This is the only negative thing I have heard about him and it honestly is kind of baffling because PFF is really, really down on him.

I'll trust Tom Gamble before PFF.

And even if he ends up sucking it up, We at least got a stop gap at NT and a true NT as opposed to having Antonio Dixon play it...
EagleBlueDon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oland11 wrote:
Phire wrote:
JayAp07 wrote:
Saw this quote earlier on PFF before we signed him. Couldn't find it again until now when CSN put out an article.

Quote:
“Sopoaga is one of these guys who has benefited from the talent around him. Massively,” PFF wrote on Wednesday. “Hidden amongst all the gems of the 49ers’ defensive line has been his inability to make much of an impact. He doesn’t eat up blocks, get off them, or get up field. He’s just a body, and personally we wouldn’t spend $4 million per year on a guy who is always going to be replaceable. He was our fourth-lowest ranked defensive tackle last year.”

What do you guys make of this? I haven't really seen him play much but I was always under the impression that he was at very least a solid player. This is the only negative thing I have heard about him and it honestly is kind of baffling because PFF is really, really down on him.

I'll trust Tom Gamble before PFF.

And even if he ends up sucking it up, We at least got a stop gap at NT and a true NT as opposed to having Antonio Dixon play it...
Virtually no way he sucks as much as PFF is saying he does. I'm gonna check out some P-WILL and Bowman highlights and see just how bad he does suck..like that guy up there said, I'll take Gamble's word over some dude at PFF.
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PFF's rating is determined on stats. Soap didn't put any, but Greg Cosell says and gives example of him taking and shedding a double block

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
Meco

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainbowCarebear wrote:
PFF's rating is determined on stats. Soap didn't put any, but Greg Cosell says and gives example of him taking and shedding a double block

That's not true. PFF's grades aren't based on stats at all.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meco wrote:
RainbowCarebear wrote:

That's not true. PFF's grades aren't based on stats at all.

Right, they "evaluate every play, every snap."

I have no idea how they came to that conclusion though. I did a little more research and everything I found has the direct opposite opinion about Soap. He is praised by all of his coaches and teammates. Sounds like we got a really good player, leader, and mentor.

2013 Philadelphia Eagles NFC East Champs
Phire

Location: #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #Merica #TrollyRangers #Danes #BirdGang
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PFF has been very, very wrong before.
They're just making things up to cover their ranking system.

They wouldn't have him ranked so low and admit that their ranking system is flat out wrong.

theuntouchable wrote:
Think about this phire. I am the real chow.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.

Danish proverb 3:69
Blahman88

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:

They wouldn't have him ranked so low and admit that their ranking system is flat out wrong.

Evan Mathis No.1 Guard

birdman0069

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So he's not as bad as they make him out to be.
Just remember. If he was a good as people around here made him out to be, the 49'ers wouldn't have let him go for 4 million a year.
Just sayin........

Props to Eagles _808 on the sig.
PE, the new poster child for birth control.

Birdman, slowest to 10K
JayAp07

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blahman88 wrote:
Phire wrote:

Evan Mathis No.1 Guard

Case in point. They have a huge stiffy for Evan. I forgot about that until now.

BIRDMAN - Maybe they want to make a push to get younger on the DL? Soap isn't exactly on the upswing of his career. This is the perfect draft for them to do it too. They have a ton of picks.

birdman0069

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayAp07 wrote:
Blahman88 wrote:
Phire wrote:

Evan Mathis No.1 Guard

BIRDMAN - Maybe they want to make a push to get younger on the DL? Soap isn't exactly on the upswing of his career. This is the perfect draft for them to do it too. They have a ton of picks.

And a ton of money for a team that just went to the Super Bowl. They most certainly could of brought him back and drafted someone then have stiffer competition during camp. If they thought he was a strength on their team, they wouldn't of let him go for such a modest amount money. That's all I'm sayin.

Birdman, slowest to 10K
JayAp07

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

birdman0069 wrote:
JayAp07 wrote:
Blahman88 wrote:
Phire wrote:

Evan Mathis No.1 Guard

And a ton of money for a team that just went to the Super Bowl. They most certainly could of brought him back and drafted someone then have stiffer competition during camp. If they thought he was a strength on their team, they wouldn't of let him go for such a modest amount money. That's all I'm sayin.

Do you know what their cap situation looks like after they got Boldin and Dorsey? I can't really find anything definitive but from what I saw they have around 7m in space now. You make a good point, it's weird that they have pretty much let all of their FA's walk this year. They certainly could have kept at least one of Soap, RJF, Walker, or Goldson if not all of them.

Meco

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go watch "Spooky" play against the Rams and then come tell me how good this guy is.

Location: #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #Merica #TrollyRangers #Danes #BirdGang
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

birdman0069 wrote:
So he's not as bad as they make him out to be.
Just remember. If he was a good as people around here made him out to be, the 49'ers wouldn't have let him go for 4 million a year.
Just sayin........

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
If he couldn't play Tom Gamble would have made sure he never signed.

theuntouchable wrote:
Think about this phire. I am the real chow.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.

Danish proverb 3:69
Kempes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking the glass half full stance on Sopoaga is just pointless, ''oh SF don't want him so why would we want him.... scrapheap signing'' etc...

SF have had many good years out of him, there has to come a time when they want to move on. Is Ed Reed a bad player because it looks like the Ravens are moving on from him? SF are in a great position now. They have endless amounts of draft picks to build for the future. Sopoaga was there for 8 years. Every cycle ends and that's what they're doing now. They'll find their new guy who will come in and play for another 8 years while they have a golden opportunity to do so.

Departing with Sopoaga isn't going to turn their D to crud, he's expendable, but that doesn't mean he's a bad player. I'm sure they could have got at least another 2 years out of him but moving on from him at this stage is the logical thing to do to ensure they keep their franchise moving.
birdman0069

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kempes wrote:
Taking the glass half full stance on Sopoaga is just pointless, ''oh SF don't want him so why would we want him.... scrapheap signing'' etc...

SF have had many good years out of him, there has to come a time when they want to move on. Is Ed Reed a bad player because it looks like the Ravens are moving on from him? SF are in a great position now. They have endless amounts of draft picks to build for the future. Sopoaga was there for 8 years. Every cycle ends and that's what they're doing now. They'll find their new guy who will come in and play for another 8 years while they have a golden opportunity to do so.

Departing with Sopoaga isn't going to turn their D to crud, he's expendable, but that doesn't mean he's a bad player. I'm sure they could have got at least another 2 years out of him but moving on from him at this stage is the logical thing to do to ensure they keep their franchise moving.

Go back a few pages. I said this was good signing.
I love the question, " is Ed Reed a bad player"? Of course not. But he isn't a great player anymore. If you think he hasn't lost a step you you would sadly mistaking.
Sopoaga is a nice transitional player, but that's it. Some people around here make this sound like the acquisition of the decade are are takin back by a report that he was the 4th best DT on the 49'ers last season. The reality is, the 49'ers won't miss a beat without him because he is a mediocre NT at best.
The difference is even being mediocre, he is better then anything else we currently have on this roster.
This is a nice signing. It will get us pointed in the right direction, but, he won't be here in 2 years time and this isn't a great signing of a great player.

Birdman, slowest to 10K

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: