Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Fix Secondary or Improve Front Seven?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iknowcool

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Fix Secondary or Improve Front Seven? Reply with quote

This is actually sparked because of what happened in the "Released Chris Gamble" thread in NFL News, where it was pointed out how shoddy our secondary is but how good our front seven is, though our defensive tackles do blow. Which got me thinking. What strategy do you think it'd be best for us to take?

A) Fix the secondary that is completely void of any talent

or

B) Continue to improve an already good front seven, adding more interior pass rushers and basically going the Giants route?

Of course we could always do both... target DTs in free agency and then use our first round pick on a corner or safety. But just in general, which strategy do you think would be better? Our secondary is so horrible but yet we saw last season how a good to great front seven can sometimes mask that. And while they may have been unclutch (VERY unclutch), they were actually pretty darn good after Week 4 or so because of the front seven.

cpanthers178990 wrote:
Panthers coming back from 13 down is like a normal team coming back from 35 down.
TROJANPANTHER

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't we go to the Super Bowl with two undrafted corners starting? With that said, however, I think we need at least two starting caliber safties on the roster, which we do not.

I still think making the front 7 even better is the best option, but we couldn't simply ignore our secondary, as it has become pretty abismal at this point.

Carolina Kitten - Sig God.

NFL - Panthers
College - USC, UNM
panattack86

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fix the secondary, Please god fix the secondary. We need to make a move on a decent CB or S in FA and draft CB and S in the first 2 rounds like Vaccaro or Elam in the first and Trufant (fingers crossed) or Slay at CB in the second
boondock

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's improve what we are already strong at and that's our front 7. If we can get some capable DTs, we can be a very good defense.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TROJANPANTHER wrote:
Didn't we go to the Super Bowl with two undrafted corners starting? With that said, however, I think we need at least two starting caliber safties on the roster, which we do not.

I still think making the front 7 even better is the best option, but we couldn't simply ignore our secondary, as it has become pretty abismal at this point.

I disagree I believe Godfrey is easily a starting safety for us.

I think we should improve our front seven through FA and then draft a secondary to start them out young so they can grow into talented yet groomed DBs.
TROJANPANTHER

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toughguy77 wrote:
TROJANPANTHER wrote:

I disagree I believe Godfrey is easily a starting safety for us.

I think we should improve our front seven through FA and then draft a secondary to start them out young so they can grow into talented yet groomed DBs.

Well I think he is too. I said we need two starting caliber safties on the roster, we only have one. Wink

Carolina Kitten - Sig God.

NFL - Panthers
College - USC, UNM
Zithers

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we need a DT. i don't care who. he's better than sione fua, frank kearse, and nate chandler.

should be #1 priority.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would say dt then s. IMO our cbs will grow and improve this year and if we get pressure on the qb that'll force them into errors and ints. and we need a safety to make people think twice about challenging us deep or over the middle.

CarolinaKitten on the sig
CAROLINA DID NOT DRAFT ARMANTI EDWARDS TO PLAY QB...or at all. Man he sucks
faccda01

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good pass rush is a secondary's best friend. The less time a QB has to throw, the easier it is to cover receivers. We need help in both areas, but DL is the priority in my opinion.

With that being said, we can't have Nakamura starting. I can't believe he is in the NFL still.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only player people are mocking to us now is Sheldon Richardson. Do we really want to risk a 1st on a DT? Always seems risky to me.

The HORNETS are back. Yes We Cam. Giancarlo <3.
boondock

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panthers11 wrote:
The only player people are mocking to us now is Sheldon Richardson. Do we really want to risk a 1st on a DT? Always seems risky to me.

I'm not a fan of Richardson. If we take him, we take him and that's that. Just don't believe he has enough tape to warrant the selection. He's this year's Michael Brockers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: