Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Goldson not expected to leave Tampa
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoeKG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pvsports9 wrote:
deuces22wild wrote:
deuces22wild wrote:
BucsCanesFan6 wrote:
deuces22wild wrote:
BucsCanesFan6 wrote:
Can you guys explain you love for Goldson? Just curious, I like him too, but he seems be very similar to Barron, run stopping safety that hits hard but is inconsistent in coverage.

deuces22wild wrote:
The guy has 9 ints in the last two seasons but because he can lay the wood he's a ss?

His 9 ints and 21 pd over the last two seasons match up well against a guy like Earl Thomas who stats are 5 ints and 15 pd over the same period. Heck even Eric Weddle has similar stats 10 ints and 19 pd.

Please explain how he is inconsistent in coverage?

I haven't watched him play too much, I'm just basing it off what some of my 49er friends have said about him.

I have been posting on and off in the 9ers thread for probably the last 2 months. Most if not all said the same thing. Leader of the defense, sets the tone, good against the pass but sometimes gambles too much.

The stats are there, the fans like him and wanted him to stay. In his prime now, only missed 2 games the last 4 seasons. Seems full proof to me!

3rd time I'm posting this!

9ers fans love him, he has the stats Pvs maybe dig little deeper next time before posting!

That's like saying Revis is a bad corner because he doesn't collect interceptions...it works both ways. IF you actually watch the 49'ers like I do since I live in the Bay area...its not like he's tracking these balls in the air like Ed Reed.

Also- more to the point of doing research...it's not too hard to have interception opportunities as a safety when quarterbacks have zero time to throw the ball accurately going against a fierce pass rush from the front seven

This seems like a fair judgement to me.

I think he's a good safety. Not an elite guy, not a bad player, but a good player on a good defense.
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His leadership traits are there as well. Instincts. Not everyone is Ed Reed back there or Troy Palomalu.
deuces22wild

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pvsports9 wrote:
deuces22wild wrote:
deuces22wild wrote:
BucsCanesFan6 wrote:
deuces22wild wrote:
BucsCanesFan6 wrote:
Can you guys explain you love for Goldson? Just curious, I like him too, but he seems be very similar to Barron, run stopping safety that hits hard but is inconsistent in coverage.

deuces22wild wrote:
The guy has 9 ints in the last two seasons but because he can lay the wood he's a ss?

His 9 ints and 21 pd over the last two seasons match up well against a guy like Earl Thomas who stats are 5 ints and 15 pd over the same period. Heck even Eric Weddle has similar stats 10 ints and 19 pd.

Please explain how he is inconsistent in coverage?

I haven't watched him play too much, I'm just basing it off what some of my 49er friends have said about him.

I have been posting on and off in the 9ers thread for probably the last 2 months. Most if not all said the same thing. Leader of the defense, sets the tone, good against the pass but sometimes gambles too much.

The stats are there, the fans like him and wanted him to stay. In his prime now, only missed 2 games the last 4 seasons. Seems full proof to me!

3rd time I'm posting this!

9ers fans love him, he has the stats Pvs maybe dig little deeper next time before posting!

That's like saying Revis is a bad corner because he doesn't collect interceptions...it works both ways. IF you actually watch the 49'ers like I do since I live in the Bay area...its not like he's tracking these balls in the air like Ed Reed.

Also- more to the point of doing research...it's not too hard to have interception opportunities as a safety when quarterbacks have zero time to throw the ball accurately going against a fierce pass rush from the front seven

Take a few hours tonight and go through the 2/3 thread about Goldson in the 9ers section. I guess a few people will always not like certain players. The fans in the 9ers thread had zero issue with him defending the pass. Set the time for the defense and most if not all didn't want/expect him to leave. Players are bound to get burned from time to time, especially when they gamble.

Mike Evans 46 - 794 - 7
ravishingone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a significant upgrade over Ronde at safety (I'm not a Ronde hater). Barron can now play closer to the line of scrimmage. Goldson has pass defended stats similiar to other above average safeties. I will thrilled when his name is signed on a contract.
leadkills

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravishingone wrote:
He's a significant upgrade over Ronde at safety (I'm not a Ronde hater). Barron can now play closer to the line of scrimmage. Goldson has pass defended stats similiar to other above average safeties. I will thrilled when his name is signed on a contract.

Ronde played pro bowl level last season Embarassed If Ronde does come back he should go back to his natural position nickel.
Freeman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leadkills wrote:
ravishingone wrote:

Ronde played pro bowl level last season Embarassed If Ronde does come back he should go back to his natural position nickel.

Ronde was a liability in coverage which for us to use Barron out of position at centerfield coverage instead of using him as what he is, a box safety. And I love Ronde.
Soul Glo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freeman wrote:
leadkills wrote:
ravishingone wrote:

Ronde was a liability in coverage which for us to use Barron out of position at centerfield coverage instead of using him as what he is, a box safety. And I love Ronde.

just while we're on this topic, I kinda agree with Ronde talk here. I want him back, but we need to use Barron better. Kid needs to be allowed to play near the box and do what he does best. Him and Ronde's playing style don't exactly mesh perfectly. Hopefully next year we put Ronde in a position (if he returns) to allow Barron to still do his thing.
bucsfan333

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barron wasn't completely horrible in coverage last year. He made a few plays. That should be expected for a rookie SS. It didn't help that he was the ONLY guy covering WRs deep 'cause our CBs were worse than abysmal.
deuces22wild

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4444/dashon-goldson

Quote:
The Tampa Bay Times reports the Bucs "appear close to a deal" with free agent FS Dashon Goldson.

Mike Evans 46 - 794 - 7
tml_gogo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deuces22wild wrote:

Quote:
The Tampa Bay Times reports the Bucs "appear close to a deal" with free agent FS Dashon Goldson.

We've been hearing this for several hours already..get it done Dom!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tml_gogo wrote:
deuces22wild wrote:

Quote:

We've been hearing this for several hours already..get it done Dom!

It's petty much done. He'll be a buc
Pvsports9

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I just see value in someone like Kenny Phillips (who is sometimes listed at ss) but at least can roam around in coverage a little more or maybe someone like michael huff. - both can be had at a significant discount and could definitely be productive for us.

I don't like the idea of trying to fill positions of need with big contracts on players not considered elite. If we were going to target byrd if he didn't get the tag...go for it. But 8 mil a year on someone like goldson is a little pricey for me
Lil' Shorty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pvsports9 wrote:
I guess I just see value in someone like Kenny Phillips (who is sometimes listed at ss) but at least can roam around in coverage a little more or maybe someone like michael huff. - both can be had at a significant discount and could definitely be productive for us.

I don't like the idea of trying to fill positions of need with big contracts on players not considered elite. If we were going to target byrd if he didn't get the tag...go for it. But 8 mil a year on someone like goldson is a little pricey for me

1. We don't know what the contract is. 2. We have been over this all day, but what about Goldson's on field production and passes defenses and ints and tackles say that he isn't worth the money. 3. He is arguable a top 5 S, FS and SS combined, in the NFL right now. 4. He has been voted to the pro bowl the last 2 seasons.

Smack ^
#FireLovie
deuces22wild

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooooooo.... you want a guy who has started 42 of a possible 80 career games and is coming off of a season were he started 6 games, who is more of a ss that Goldson (who you don't want because he is a ss) because we can get him at a discount?

Or the other option is Michael Huff who was just cut by the Raiders and has a whopping 11 ints in 7 years because we can get him at a discount?

Doesn't sound like the right way to go about fixing the league worst pass defense.

Mike Evans 46 - 794 - 7
tml_gogo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people get too concerned about money. Are you paying the man? No. Can he fit under the massive amount of cap space we have? Yes. Is he an upgrade to our team on the field? Yes. Seems easy.

The GM is far more knowledgeable about our cap situation than any of us fans..I'll trust them to make the decision if a player is worthy of his money. My job is a fan is to want the best possible players on the field, and Goldson is awesome.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: