Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Danell Ellerbe agrees with Dolphins
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
SnA ExclusiVe


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 18795
Location: Spokane, WA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boodgyman5220 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Yes I was, that was the same year that Sizzle signed his huge contract, right? I can't really remember but I do remember the year Lewis his F/A, but I wasn't a big fan back then and didn't really pay attention to anything other than the games on Sunday's, so I have no idea how that whole thing went down.

I'm not talking about signing people, I'm talking about just letting your best players walk out the door or trading them for nothing. That's the thing that irks me because now if they don't absolutely NAIL the draft, they are screwed.


Yep. Jason Brown was a free agent that year too. I really wanted the Ravens to keep him but they made the right decision in the end by putting money towards Suggs and Lewis.


Yeah, so I guess I'm just gonna have to get used to the fact that unless you're Joe Flacco or top-3 at your position, you're not getting paid by the Ravens.


How many times do we pay our best players through their prime, get their best years, and then watch them get overpaid for their last few years and decline while doing it. We don't make huge mistakes that handicap us. We build through the draft and reasonable free agent signings. When a player leaves we replace them with the draft. How hard is that to see? We do it all the time. Remember when we cut mason, heap, gregg, and mcgahee? Everyone thought we were going downhill but we ended up one catch away from a superbowl appearance. Why? because we build through the draft.


I actually understood all of those releases though. I don't understand the Boldin trade, I don't understand letting Ellerbe walk, and I don't understand as of right now why we brought back some of the guys we brought back.

We don't make mistakes that handicap us, and we don't sign players who have one big year, yet we just made Joe Flacco the highest paid player in NFL history...I understand the QB position is different from everything else but highest paid ever? Damn.
_________________


Official stalker victim of Harper41.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BaltimoreTerp


Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

Joined: 13 Feb 2005
Posts: 27596
Location: Washington, DC
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Yeah, so I guess I'm just gonna have to get used to the fact that unless you're Joe Flacco or top-3 at your position, you're not getting paid by the Ravens.


Wait, is this supposed to be a complaint? Because what you just stated is a big part of why the Ravens are as consistently good as they are. The Ravens don't pay you unless you're worth it. Webb may not have been a consensus top 3 corner, but he was worth it. Yanda may not be a top 3 guard, but he's close to it and he was worth it. Torrey Smith will probably not be a top 3 wide receiver, but he'll be worth the investment.

What the Ravens don't do is pay players who want to be paid like they're elite when they're not. Inferior teams go and pay the Ellerbe's big money. The good teams know they can find the next Ellerbe for cheap.

But by all means, please try rooting for the consistently crappy teams that pay the Dannell Ellerbe's and Paul Kruger's of the world $7-8 million a year. You might finally find a place where your incessant complaining is warranted.
_________________
"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bmorecareful


Joined: 09 Feb 2007
Posts: 547
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ellerbe and Kruger got 76 million combined. That's crazy to me, Wow. They got Ray Rice money lol. Ozzie never would have given them that and I honestly can't blame him. Wish em the best when they not playing us though. We are losing alot of players this year but we got some money to spend so hopefully we bring back Ed. From there we'll see what happens. Its not like we had a top Defense it was our worst D since 07 at least and that's debatable.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SnA ExclusiVe


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 18795
Location: Spokane, WA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Yeah, so I guess I'm just gonna have to get used to the fact that unless you're Joe Flacco or top-3 at your position, you're not getting paid by the Ravens.


Wait, is this supposed to be a complaint? Because what you just stated is a big part of why the Ravens are as consistently good as they are. The Ravens don't pay you unless you're worth it. Webb may not have been a consensus top 3 corner, but he was worth it. Yanda may not be a top 3 guard, but he's close to it and he was worth it. Torrey Smith will probably not be a top 3 wide receiver, but he'll be worth the investment.

What the Ravens don't do is pay players who want to be paid like they're elite when they're not.

But by all means, please try rooting for the consistently crappy teams that pay the Dannell Ellerbe's and Paul Kruger's of the world $7-8 million a year. You might finally find a place where your incessant complaining is warranted.


It actually wasn't complaining lol

Webb is a top 3 corner, Yanda is a top 2 guard, Torrey Smith will be resigned because he's the only WR we've ever drafted who's been worth a damn (much like Flacco at the QB position).

I'm having a hard time finding the difference between Ellerbe having an extremely good season, then wanting to be paid and the Ravens not paying him, but Flacco has a decent season and wants to get paid and the Ravens make him the highest paid player in the NFL - other than the fact that Flacco is a QB and Ellerbe is an ILB.
_________________


Official stalker victim of Harper41.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BaltimoreTerp


Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

Joined: 13 Feb 2005
Posts: 27596
Location: Washington, DC
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
but Flacco has a decent season and wants to get paid and the Ravens make him the highest paid player in the NFL - other than the fact that Flacco is a QB and Ellerbe is an ILB.


Except that Flacco wasn't utter crap for everything aside from his rookie and contract year, like Ellerbe was.

Also, the fact that QB and ILB happen to be VERY different positions needs to be treated accordingly.

This team would be so significantly worse off if we had kept Ellerbe and let Flacco walk. Would you agree?

Quarterback is a position where there's an extremely high demand curve and an extremely low supply curve. Inside linebacker is an easily replaceable position where you can find someone to plug in on a yearly basis without having to worry about jeopardizing your entire season. I mean, do you remember how we replaced our last big contract ILB to leave, Bart Scott? With the UDFA combo of Dannell Ellerbe and Jameel McClain.

We keep the players that we can't replace; we keep the players that we need to keep. We keep the players that we need to keep in order to keep winning. That's all that we've ever done, that's why we keep winning, and that's really all there is to it.
_________________
"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.


Last edited by BaltimoreTerp on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:17 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SnA ExclusiVe


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 18795
Location: Spokane, WA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
but Flacco has a decent season and wants to get paid and the Ravens make him the highest paid player in the NFL - other than the fact that Flacco is a QB and Ellerbe is an ILB.


Except that Flacco wasn't utter crap for everything aside from his rookie and contract year, like Ellerbe was.

Also, the fact that QB and ILB happen to be VERY different positions needs to be treated accordingly.

This team would be so significantly worse off if we had kept Ellerbe and let Flacco walk. Would you agree?

Quarterback is a position where there's an extremely high demand curve and an extremely low supply curve. Inside linebacker is an easily replaceable position where you can find someone to plug in on a yearly basis without having to worry about jeopardizing your entire season. I mean, do you remember how we replaced our last big contract ILB to leave, Bart Scott? With the UDFA combo of Dannell Ellerbe and Jameel McClain.

We keep the players that we can't replace; we keep the players that we need to keep. We keep the players that we need to keep in order to keep winning. That's all that we've ever done, that's why we keep winning, and that's really all there is to it.


Yeah, I guess that's true. Good points, and yes I definitely agree, especially with the part about plugging in and playing with ILB's year in and year out.

Alright, you win Very Happy
_________________


Official stalker victim of Harper41.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RavensfanRD


Joined: 07 Mar 2007
Posts: 1640
Location: Baltimore, MD (Land of the Greatness)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
The only thing I've learned this offseason is that it's only okay to terribly overpay a QB, but nobody else.


Not to thread hijack, but how is Flacco overpaid? Just had a 2-hour argument with my cousin over this hot garbage.

1) 3 AFC Championships
2) 5 consecutive playoff appearances
- And if it was so easy because of our World-Beating defense all these years, Kyle Boller would be in the HOF with 4 championships setting up the dynasty
3) Most wins by any QB of ALL-TIME in their first 5 years
4) Most TD's in a post-season without INT's
5) SUPERBOWL MVP

I DON'T GET IT! GOD I DON'T UNDERSTAND! HELP ME UNDERSTAND! PLEASE!

Oh, and no longer handcuffed by Cam Cameron Laughing
_________________

Ray Lewis wrote:
This it! This it, man! This is it! We goin' for a ring man!

Wise Old Man wrote:
Joe Flacco doesn't believe in miracles; miracles believe in Joe Flacco
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SnA ExclusiVe


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 18795
Location: Spokane, WA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensfanRD wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
The only thing I've learned this offseason is that it's only okay to terribly overpay a QB, but nobody else.


Not to thread hijack, but how is Flacco overpaid? Just had a 2-hour argument with my cousin over this hot garbage.

1) 3 AFC Championships
2) 5 consecutive playoff appearances
- And if it was so easy because of our World-Beating defense all these years, Kyle Boller would be in the HOF with 4 championships setting up the dynasty
3) Most wins by any QB of ALL-TIME in their first 5 years
4) Most TD's in a post-season without INT's
5) SUPERBOWL MVP

I DON'T GET IT! GOD I DON'T UNDERSTAND! HELP ME UNDERSTAND! PLEASE!

Oh, and no longer handcuffed by Cam Cameron Laughing


The whole accomplishments thing is really just overplayed, to me. He's on a team with a great defense (until this year) that's always really carried him and his mediocre numbers.

I really wish Flacco had ONE more year on his resume so we could see how he does with a full season under Caldwell's offense before making the final decision, because I am really a firm believer that Cam held him back but I just don't see Flacco being worth the amount we paid, aka higher than Brady/Manning/Brees etc.
_________________


Official stalker victim of Harper41.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RavensfanRD


Joined: 07 Mar 2007
Posts: 1640
Location: Baltimore, MD (Land of the Greatness)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
RavensfanRD wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
The only thing I've learned this offseason is that it's only okay to terribly overpay a QB, but nobody else.


Not to thread hijack, but how is Flacco overpaid? Just had a 2-hour argument with my cousin over this hot garbage.

1) 3 AFC Championships
2) 5 consecutive playoff appearances
- And if it was so easy because of our World-Beating defense all these years, Kyle Boller would be in the HOF with 4 championships setting up the dynasty
3) Most wins by any QB of ALL-TIME in their first 5 years
4) Most TD's in a post-season without INT's
5) SUPERBOWL MVP

I DON'T GET IT! GOD I DON'T UNDERSTAND! HELP ME UNDERSTAND! PLEASE!

Oh, and no longer handcuffed by Cam Cameron Laughing


The whole accomplishments thing is really just overplayed, to me. He's on a team with a great defense (until this year) that's always really carried him and his mediocre numbers.

I really wish Flacco had ONE more year on his resume so we could see how he does with a full season under Caldwell's offense before making the final decision, because I am really a firm believer that Cam held him back but I just don't see Flacco being worth the amount we paid, aka higher than Brady/Manning/Brees etc.


See what I have bold? Again, if it was so grand Kyle Boller would be a great player, too. And he had Heap, JO and Jamal in their primes. So I still don't get it. Flacco consistently gave you 20 TD's to 10-12 INT's a year with 3,000 yards in a handicapped offense.

But meh, ESPN and Fantasy Football shell out what an Elite QB and awesome QB is considered now a day, so I get it. I just hope he continues at whatever helps us win and repeat. Laughing
_________________

Ray Lewis wrote:
This it! This it, man! This is it! We goin' for a ring man!

Wise Old Man wrote:
Joe Flacco doesn't believe in miracles; miracles believe in Joe Flacco
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SnA ExclusiVe


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 18795
Location: Spokane, WA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flacco's also going to give you multiple games a year where it looks like he doesn't know what he's doing.

As of right now I don't think he's "highest paid player ever" material, but if he continues to play at a very high level under Jim Caldwell and becomes MORE consistent and his numbers increase, then yeah, sure I'll change my mind and accept that we did that. Until then, I'm going to remain skeptical.

But that's for another thread - as for Ellerbe, I've accepted he's gone and so is Ray and that we have no ILB's that can play at a decent level right now and we have zero speed in our LB core outside of Suggs, so we NEED to upgrade there.
_________________


Official stalker victim of Harper41.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RavensfanRD


Joined: 07 Mar 2007
Posts: 1640
Location: Baltimore, MD (Land of the Greatness)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Flacco's also going to give you multiple games a year where it looks like he doesn't know what he's doing.

As of right now I don't think he's "highest paid player ever" material, but if he continues to play at a very high level under Jim Caldwell and becomes MORE consistent and his numbers increase, then yeah, sure I'll change my mind and accept that we did that. Until then, I'm going to remain skeptical.

But that's for another thread - as for Ellerbe, I've accepted he's gone and so is Ray and that we have no ILB's that can play at a decent level right now and we have zero speed in our LB core outside of Suggs, so we NEED to upgrade there.


Minter and Brown will be Ravens.
_________________

Ray Lewis wrote:
This it! This it, man! This is it! We goin' for a ring man!

Wise Old Man wrote:
Joe Flacco doesn't believe in miracles; miracles believe in Joe Flacco
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcdni


Joined: 12 Nov 2004
Posts: 622
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from the Broncos game, the post Cam Flacco was elite compared to the pre Caldwell Flacco. Granted it was a small sample size but if Flacco replicates his playoff stats over a 16 game season he has the following:

44 TDs to 0 INTs. Okay I know the 0 INTs is unrealistic and likely the 44 TDs as well. But if you throw in the usual couple of Clinkers Flacco has he still should be able to get 30+TDs for the season compared with about 10INTs.

His season total yards would be 4,560 for 16 games so 4,000+ shouldn't be unreasonable.

The only question will be can the Ravens find a LT to keep the O-Line looking as good as it did in the playoffs and can they find a WR to replace Boldin.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flaccomania


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 20264
Location: Parkville, MD
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I just posted on facebook that basically sums up my feelings:

Fun fact: The teams winning in March arent the teams winning in Jan/Feb. Ozzie knows what hes doing. The off season just started. He does his best work later (Leach, Pollard, Jacoby, Graham) and in the draft. Trust his process.
_________________


^ I don't quite get why simon made this my losing sig about the Chiefs. I don't think I've made a single post in this forum.

XBL GT: kanxalanx
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group