Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Revis Officially Traded to Tampa!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 33, 34, 35  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
green24

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
RaidersAreOne wrote:
I would rather have two high picks rather than Revis. Maybe its due to the fact that Oakland had the best CB at that time, Nnamdi, and we still SUCKED. CB's arent that vital to a teams overall record. Much rather invest in the trenches than on a CB.
How do we know they'll both be high picks?

Would you rather have Jarod Mayo and Michael Crabtree or Revis? Those are back to back tenth overall picks. Ones that hit fairly well too.

With Revis, the Bucs are probably a playoff team. I'm not a fan of Freeman at all, but I do see a little 2010 Jets in them.

No. I would not take Mayo and Crabtree over Revis.
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:
green24 wrote:
bucsfan333 wrote:
green24 wrote:
tml_gogo wrote:
Too much for him.

He is one of the few players in the NFL worth this and more.

Not in my mind. I'd rather have a chance to draft two great players and move on.

When we traded up for Revis in 2007, we traded a 1st and 2nd round pick for him. Even though the team we traded with (Carolina Panthers) got Pro Bowlers with both of those picks (Jon Beason and Ryan Kalil), I still consider the Jets to be the clear winners. Revis might retire as the greatest cornerback in the history of the NFL. Beason and Kalil are great, but they are not Hall of Famers. Even combined, they do not have the impact on the Panthers that Darrelle Revis does on the Jets.

Plus, you can't expect to hit on both picks like the Panthers did. You would be lucky if one of those picks ended up being a Pro Bowl caliber player.

I'm not really sure how you can suggest the Jets clearly won the trade if you trade him away. You spent 2 picks, didnt win anything of note while he was on the roster, and traded him away 5 years later, no better or worse than you were before you drafted him.

I mean, regardless if he retires as the greatest CB of all time, it wont be on your team. Right? I'm just saying. I dont see how the Jest were the clear winner if this happens.

We made 2 AFC Championship Games with him. I doubt we make the playoffs in either of those years without him.

Because you couldnt have gotten impct players with those 2 picks???

Two AFCCGs you lost. 2 picks for a handful of playoff games? And now you are about to trade him away.

How can you claim that means you clearly won the trade???

CK on the sig
D.Revis24

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaidersAreOne wrote:
I would rather have two high picks rather than Revis. Maybe its due to the fact that Oakland had the best CB at that time, Nnamdi, and we still SUCKED. CB's arent that vital to a teams overall record. Much rather invest in the trenches than on a CB.

The Raiders didn't use Nnamdi like Revis has been used... Revis eliminates a teams #1 receiver, that is a big advantage to his team.

Props to El Ramster on the sig
DirtyDez

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 1st & 2nd would be great for the Jets. A top 5 pick and another in the late teens probably... 1 year rebuild is the way to go.

The Rebuild Has Begun...
Jetsman82

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual it seems people are overrating the value and impact a first round player can have.

Yea, sure, it's easy to say, "oh, why not just draft two impact players instead of trade for one?"

It's a little more complicated than that. First round picks have about a 50% success rate. So, even if you do everything right, you can still be wrong. Saying you're going to hit twice brings that down to 25%.

Would you wager on that 25% chance you're going to hit twice? Or would you wager on the 100% chance Revis is going to be a top-5 player on defense. Health could be an issue, but I don't think a trade would happen regardless unless the Bucs felt good about him. If Revis is healthy, he's the best CB. And since I doubt a trade would happen if he weren't healthy, I'm going to assume he is for this.
eggybucsfan31

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsman82 wrote:
As usual it seems people are overrating the value and impact a first round player can have.

Yea, sure, it's easy to say, "oh, why not just draft two impact players instead of trade for one?"

It's a little more complicated than that. First round picks have about a 50% success rate. So, even if you do everything right, you can still be wrong. Saying you're going to hit twice brings that down to 25%.

Would you wager on that 25% chance you're going to hit twice? Or would you wager on the 100% chance Revis is going to be a top-5 player on defense. Health could be an issue, but I don't think a trade would happen regardless unless the Bucs felt good about him. If Revis is healthy, he's the best CB. And since I doubt a trade would happen if he weren't healthy, I'm going to assume he is for this.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
Abe56 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
green24 wrote:

When we traded up for Revis in 2007, we traded a 1st and 2nd round pick for him. Even though the team we traded with (Carolina Panthers) got Pro Bowlers with both of those picks (Jon Beason and Ryan Kalil), I still consider the Jets to be the clear winners. Revis might retire as the greatest cornerback in the history of the NFL. Beason and Kalil are great, but they are not Hall of Famers. Even combined, they do not have the impact on the Panthers that Darrelle Revis does on the Jets.

Plus, you can't expect to hit on both picks like the Panthers did. You would be lucky if one of those picks ended up being a Pro Bowl caliber player.

Don't know what's funny. He has shut down every great WR the NFL has had to offer in what some would consider the golden age of WR's in an era where DB's are handcuffed in how they can play. If Revis got to play in the 70's, 80's, 90's where you could really handle a WR, he would probably allow 5 catches a season.

Even his peers consider him the best defensive player in the NFL.

I would just repeat the gif but I don't want to earn the ire of Webby.

He has shut down every great WR? Hogwash.

He's handcuffed? Revis gets away with murder in comparison to other CBs. He's not in Rod Woodson's or Deion's class yet. He's still young but already trying to push the GOAT talk is as funny as Calvin fans trying that same thing.

Just curious what great WR didn't he shutdown? Cause I can remember T.O. (when he was still good), Chad Johnson (when he was still good), Brandon Marshall, Anquan Boldin, Andre Johnson, Reggie Wayne, Dwayne Bowe, Vincent Jackson, Dez Bryant, Hakeem Nicks, Calvin Johnson, Greg Jennings, Roddy White, Steve Smith, Marques Colston, Randy Moss.

Nobody said he was the #1 of all time right now, just he could be and that's not farfetched.

64 Tackles, 10.5 Sacks, 6 STF, 2 FF, 1 INT, 3 PD

2nd Team All Pro

Jets, Knicks, Athletics, Buckeyes
DirtyDez

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsman82 wrote:

What if he walks next year?

The Rebuild Has Begun...
iPwn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsman82 wrote:

If your front office doesn't think they can hit on their picks, they should be fired. Plain and simple.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
Matts4313

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abe56 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
Abe56 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
green24 wrote:

Don't know what's funny. He has shut down every great WR the NFL has had to offer in what some would consider the golden age of WR's in an era where DB's are handcuffed in how they can play. If Revis got to play in the 70's, 80's, 90's where you could really handle a WR, he would probably allow 5 catches a season.

He's handcuffed? Revis gets away with murder in comparison to other CBs. He's not in Rod Woodson's or Deion's class yet. He's still young but already trying to push the GOAT talk is as funny as Calvin fans trying that same thing.

Just curious what great WR didn't he shutdown? Cause I can remember T.O. (when he was still good), Chad Johnson (when he was still good), Brandon Marshall, Anquan Boldin, Andre Johnson, Reggie Wayne, Dwayne Bowe, Vincent Jackson, Dez Bryant, Hakeem Nicks, Calvin Johnson, Greg Jennings, Roddy White, Steve Smith, Marques Colston, Randy Moss.

Nobody said he was the #1 of all time right now, just he could be and that's not farfetched.

Just so we are clear, Dez was destroying him prior to tearing a muscle.
green24

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Abe56 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
Abe56 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
green24 wrote:

Just so we are clear, Dez was destroying him prior to tearing a muscle.

No. First half, Dez destroyed Cromartie (possibly his worst game as a Jet) and Wilson while Revis shut down Miles Austin.

Second half, they switched assignments. From that point on, Revis caught as many passes from Romo as Dez did.

Not sure if the switch was exactly at halftime, but it was somewhere around then.
jrry32

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abe56 wrote:

How did he do against Wes Welker?

As for Moss, there's a bit of a mixed bag there. Revis got him more times than Moss got Revis though.

As I recall, Steve Johnson has given Revis some issues as well and I think Percy Harvin did well against him too last time they played.

What I'm saying is that announcing that he could retire the GOAT at this point in his career is more than a bit premature.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Tooki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
RaidersAreOne wrote:

Would you rather have Jarod Mayo and Michael Crabtree or Revis? Those are back to back tenth overall picks. Ones that hit fairly well too.

If you made it the 11th overall pick you would have Leodis McKelvin and Aaron Maybin. If you made it the 9th overall pick you would have Keith Rivers and BJ Raji.

I gotta say, I would take Revis in those situations. The Bucs would go a long way with Revis, especially with those pass rushers.
jrry32

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tooki wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:
RaidersAreOne wrote:

If you made it the 11th overall pick you would have Leodis McKelvin and Aaron Maybin. If you made it the 9th overall pick you would have Keith Rivers and BJ Raji.

I gotta say, I would take Revis in those situations. The Bucs would go a long way with Revis, especially with those pass rushers.

Ok but the opportunity cost goes both ways. Two 1sts(or a 1st and a 2nd) could be two busts or they could end up being 2 All Pros.

Let me ask you this, would you give up say Percy Harvin and Brandon Flowers?

That's obviously a very good scenario. But if you believe your FO can draft, you gotta consider they might be giving up something like that. Is the #1 CB in the NFL worth two Pro Bowl talents? My belief would be no.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
detroitroar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont get this at all for the Bucs.

They have indicated they arent sold on Freeman, yet move next years top 2 picks in what should be a much better QB class.

If you do this trade, and Freeman and the team have a disappointing season, what do you do?

This would be great for the Jets though. Their own pick will be near the top, with the Bucs pick maybe somewhere in the middle.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 11 of 35

Jump to: