Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Texans release WR Kevin Walter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
I'm just going to say it; I hope we don't re-sign Quin. I think he's being wildly overrated and this is the best safety draft since I started paying attention to draft stuff almost 10 years ago. We could easily land a starter in the 3rd round. Quin's going to get more money than he deserves.

I want Barwin back, but since that's not happening, I want us to make a splash and nab Ellerbe.

Not surprising the Dolphins just signed him. Laughing Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
I'm just going to say it; I hope we don't re-sign Quin. I think he's being wildly overrated and this is the best safety draft since I started paying attention to draft stuff almost 10 years ago. We could easily land a starter in the 3rd round. Quin's going to get more money than he deserves.

I want Barwin back, but since that's not happening, I want us to make a splash and nab Ellerbe.

Price dictates all IMO. If Quin is going to command $8+ million a year, I don't think he's even close to worth it and I'm all for letting him walk. I put the max offer for him at $6 million and then say move on. At that point, we could sign a decent veteran and pair him with a mid-round rookie and be fine. I would like Barwin back as well, but I think we've all though Quin would be the cheaper of the two which is why more people are vocal about bringing Quin back. If Barwin is willing to come back for $4 million or less, I'm all for it.

TEXANS NATION LONGTIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
FFGL 1 Champ = Team Lork
amazingandre

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am hoping we don't sign Barwin and spend the money on someone else to rotate in the position.
Marco79

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we spend anything more than 3 mil a year (and thats pushing it) To keep Barwin I will be pissed and we will be stupid. The guy was HORRENDOUS all year.
kenney

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco79 wrote:
If we spend anything more than 3 mil a year (and thats pushing it) To keep Barwin I will be pissed and we will be stupid. The guy was HORRENDOUS all year.

I disagree. He was much stouter against the run, had as many pressures, hurries, and knockdowns as he did the previous year, and is much less of a liability than Mercilus. We can't just assume Mercilus is going to "get it," and I'm going to buy what I watched over PFF's metrics.

Barwin's best bet is to lose about 10 pounds and for Phillips to stop pretending that his LBs are interchangeable.

Kenney>Everyone else on here
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
Marco79 wrote:

I disagree. He was much stouter against the run, had as many pressures, hurries, and knockdowns as he did the previous year, and is much less of a liability than Mercilus. We can't just assume Mercilus is going to "get it," and I'm going to buy what I watched over PFF's metrics.

Barwin's best bet is to lose about 10 pounds and for Phillips to stop pretending that his LBs are interchangeable.

Mercilus has a knack for forcing turnovers and getting sacks. Barwin just gets sacks. Losing Barwin isn't going to hurt. Some team is going to overpay for him and regret it in a few years.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
kenney wrote:
Marco79 wrote:

Mercilus has a knack for forcing turnovers and getting sacks. Barwin just gets sacks. Losing Barwin isn't going to hurt. Some team is going to overpay for him and regret it in a few years.

... Mercilus can't play the run or cover, though. Barwin can.

PAtexansFAN99

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
Marco79 wrote:

Phillips' LBs ARE interchangeable.. Mario Williams worked like a charm, Barwin's transition was smooth, Reed's been excellent, and Mercilus set the Texans rookie sack record last year. I would even venture to say Braman should be ready for a #3 rotational role in his 3rd year. I expect Mercilus to eclipse 10 sacks this season as he's probably the most talented athlete we've had playing outside in Phillips' defense since Mario, who racked up 5 sacks in his only 5 appearances in the 3-4.

LORK88
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
kenney wrote:
Marco79 wrote:

He is still learning though. Remember when we first drafted Barwin? He couldn't play the run as a DE.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAtexansFAN99 wrote:
kenney wrote:
Marco79 wrote:

Phillips' LBs ARE interchangeable.. Mario Williams worked like a charm, Barwin's transition was smooth, Reed's been excellent, and Mercilus set the Texans rookie sack record last year. I would even venture to say Braman should be ready for a #3 rotational role in his 3rd year. I expect Mercilus to eclipse 10 sacks this season as he's probably the most talented athlete we've had playing outside in Phillips' defense since Mario, who racked up 5 sacks in his only 5 appearances in the 3-4.

Based on what? Player improvement rarely moves along a steady linear progression and Mercilus was pretty rough last year. At least two of his sacks came when he wasn't blocked and at this point he hasn't shown he can set the edge against the run.

And my point is that Phillips can try to make his LBs interchangeable all he wants, but Barwin should be the Will and Reed the Sam always, because the actual linebackers on his depth chart cannot play interchangeably.

EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
kenney wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
kenney wrote:
Marco79 wrote:

He is still learning though. Remember when we first drafted Barwin? He couldn't play the run as a DE.

Then again, he wasn't ASKED to play the run either. He was a spot player for Mario and Antonio, was only subbed in on passing downs. Mario was asked to do everything, Antonio was strictly a run stopper, and Barwin was only sent in with the one assignment of getting to the QB.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
kenney wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
kenney wrote:
Marco79 wrote:

This. Barwin did one thing in college, rush the passer (when he wasn't playing tight end). He did one thing as a rookie, rush the passer on 3rd downs. He evolved in years 3 and 4 into being a decent run stopper and less of a liability in coverage, but he plays a premium position in this defense and became basically the Kevin Walter to Watt's AJ. Remember, Mercilus will be occupying the Mario Williams WLB spot which has virtually no coverage responsibilities, so this causes me little stress and I expect Merci to quickly make people forget Mario around here next year. The defense needs another PLAYMAKER and every down Barwin is out there playing his fundamentally sound yet unspectacular game are downs that Mercilus could be in there contributing sacks and forced fumbles or sack/fumbles like he did on Russell Wilson in college. Mercilus is a bigger, faster, stronger athlete than Barwin is and I have much more confidence in Mercilus putting up 10+ sacks than Barwin replicating his one productive season that practically deserves an asterisk since his monster 4 sack / 10 tackle game against the Jags is such an outlier amongst his 47 other largely ordinary games. He's a nice player to have if you need someone to tackle a bit more than the typical OLB and contribute 3-5 sacks per season, but that's not a guy you break the bank for especially when you have Brooks Reed.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Grasspike

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
kenney wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
kenney wrote:
Marco79 wrote:

This. Barwin did one thing in college, rush the passer (when he wasn't playing tight end). He did one thing as a rookie, rush the passer on 3rd downs. He evolved in years 3 and 4 into being a decent run stopper and less of a liability in coverage, but he plays a premium position in this defense and became basically the Kevin Walter to Watt's AJ. Remember, Mercilus will be occupying the Mario Williams WLB spot which has virtually no coverage responsibilities, so this causes me little stress and I expect Merci to quickly make people forget Mario around here next year. The defense needs another PLAYMAKER and every down Barwin is out there playing his fundamentally sound yet unspectacular game are downs that Mercilus could be in there contributing sacks and forced fumbles or sack/fumbles like he did on Russell Wilson in college. Mercilus is a bigger, faster, stronger athlete than Barwin is and I have much more confidence in Mercilus putting up 10+ sacks than Barwin replicating his one productive season that practically deserves an asterisk since his monster 4 sack / 10 tackle game against the Jags is such an outlier amongst his 47 other largely ordinary games. He's a nice player to have if you need someone to tackle a bit more than the typical OLB and contribute 3-5 sacks per season, but that's not a guy you break the bank for especially when you have Brooks Reed.

Actually, Barwin is bigger, faster, and most likely stronger, seeing that Barwin has been in an NFL strength training program significantly longer. Barwin outperformed Mercilus pretty significantly in every event except the bench press and 40 at the combine, then promptly ran a 40 in the high 4.4's at his Pro Day. Not that it means a ton, just throwing it out there.

Sig by matthouston91
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
kenney wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
kenney wrote:
Marco79 wrote:

Then again, he wasn't ASKED to play the run either. He was a spot player for Mario and Antonio, was only subbed in on passing downs. Mario was asked to do everything, Antonio was strictly a run stopper, and Barwin was only sent in with the one assignment of getting to the QB.

Wasn't that the same thing Mercilus was asked to do this past season?

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
kenney wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
kenney wrote:
Marco79 wrote:

Wasn't that the same thing Mercilus was asked to do this past season?

Given that he was in the starting lineup following the Brooks Reed injury, no. He was asked to set the edge, he was asked to play coverage. He didn't do it well, and while there is room for improvement, I'd much rather wager on sticking with Barwin, who we know can do that and get Whitney back to here he should be - which is rushing the passer.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: