Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Texans release WR Kevin Walter
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Texans release WR Kevin Walter Reply with quote

Quote:
Texans released WR Kevin Walter, per league source.

http://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/statuses/311530759896838146

The veteran receiver never emerged as a sure number 2 wideout for the Texans, he is more of a of a back-up receiver with good blocking skills but his cap number was too big to keep in 2013.

Walter recorded 41 catches for 518 yards and 2 TDs.
Tom Brady Tribute
CAS22

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally starting to free up some space. This might be the most unpredictable offseason yet, I have no idea what to expect.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked Walter as he was always willing to do the dirty work, but it's a move that needed to happen. I'm hoping this move was done to free up cap space to sign Quin, Barwin, or both. If not, it's a risky move without his replacement in place. Best of luck to him wherever he ends up.

TEXANS NATION LONGTIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
FFGL 1 Champ = Team Lork
Marco79

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was great for us, but it was time to move on. Wish himt he best and I am glad it happened. I wouldn't be opposed to getting him back for the vet minimum to be a 4th WR tho.
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES!

Now finally we can get a "REAL" number 2 WR. I personally thought he was overrated and we should have addressed the WR position 3 years ago and I got bashed. We save cap by waiving him too. He'll latch on to another team, but definitely not as a number 2.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised to be honest. Fans have been asking for his release from since he signed his last contract. I thought Kubiak's loyalty would keep protecting him forever.

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm certain we re-sign him right before TC to compete for the #4 WR spot. I don't think he'd generate much interest on the open market, so he should be available if we need him...

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsorc wrote:
Surprised to be honest. Fans have been asking for his release from since he signed his last contract. I thought Kubiak's loyalty would keep protecting him forever.

It's going to be weird seeing you with a new sig. Very Happy Wink

Quote:
I'm certain we re-sign him right before TC to compete for the #4 WR spot. I don't think he'd generate much interest on the open market, so he should be available if we need him...

If Brice McCain and Tim Dobbins can generate interest for teams, I have no reason to believe Walter will.

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
Quote:

If Brice McCain and Tim Dobbins can generate interest for teams, I have no reason to believe Walter will.

Brice and Dobbins are younger, and both have experience on ST. Not saying that make them some super-valued pieces, but moreso than Walter. Even then, I'm willing to bet this "interest" from other teams is generated by their agents trying to drive up their asking price...

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
dsorc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
dsorc wrote:

I don't even know if I want to change it since I've had it for so long. I think I won it by predicting the score of one of our games long ago.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
Quote:

Brice and Dobbins are younger, and both have experience on ST. Not saying that make them some super-valued pieces, but moreso than Walter. Even then, I'm willing to bet this "interest" from other teams is generated by their agents trying to drive up their asking price...

Good point. Interest is a very loose term in general. For all we know, a team called up the agent and asked how McCain was doing.

FFGL 1 Champ = Team Lork
LORK 88

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsorc wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
dsorc wrote:

I don't even know if I want to change it since I've had it for so long. I think I won it by predicting the score of one of our games long ago.

If you want a new one, just PM me.

FFGL 1 Champ = Team Lork
PAtexansFAN99

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice.. Now all I want to see is Glover Quin resigned.

I'm hoping we've got the replacements for Barwin and Casey on the roster in Braman and Clutts. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Texans to pursue an ILB and CB in FA now.

LORK88
kenney

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just going to say it; I hope we don't re-sign Quin. I think he's being wildly overrated and this is the best safety draft since I started paying attention to draft stuff almost 10 years ago. We could easily land a starter in the 3rd round. Quin's going to get more money than he deserves.

I want Barwin back, but since that's not happening, I want us to make a splash and nab Ellerbe.
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
I'm just going to say it; I hope we don't re-sign Quin. I think he's being wildly overrated and this is the best safety draft since I started paying attention to draft stuff almost 10 years ago. We could easily land a starter in the 3rd round. Quin's going to get more money than he deserves.

I want Barwin back, but since that's not happening, I want us to make a splash and nab Ellerbe.

If we were in rebuild mode I would agree with you, we would have to overpay to keep his services, but since we are in win now mode we HAVE to resign him. He is solid in everything and with our obvious need at WR, aside from Vaccaro, Elam and Reid, I am not a huge fan of the safeties in this draft.

IDC about Barwin because I know he isnt going to take a short change offer from us plus Mercilus might end up being better than Barwin. Finding an OLB later in the draft to rotate with Mercilus and Reed is easier than finding a safety in the draft to start for us.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: