Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Free Agent Day

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Free Agent Day Reply with quote

Why not open it's own thread? The Saints will need to cut cap to just get under the salary cap, and that does not even include the necessary moves to fill out a roster.

So what needs to be done to first of all GET the cap space...and then who do the Saints sign?

I think that a cut/restructure of Jonathon Vilma/Will Smith is the obvious move. Because the Saints own $7 million to them regardless of whether or not they are on the team next year and they do provide leadership...why not try to restructure. You still need to fill out a roster, and both players would at the very least be able to provide depth to the ILB and DE positions. It all just comes down to compensation. The need to be playing at numbers close to vet minimums.

Roman Harper could be cut or restructures, but it ultimately depends on how the team views his role on the defense. I would imagine that if he was going to be cut, it would have been done already. Maybe Rob Ryan thinks that he can recreate the Gregg Williamseque Harper. Who knows?

I believe that there are two positions that WILL be addressed in free agency. Sean Payton has never backed himself into a corner by having significant needs going into the draft. Those two positions are unequivically LT and FS.

Unfortunately the O-line production came to a hault after Jahri Evans, Zach Strief, Carl Nicks, and Jermon Bushrod. LT will be addressed this offseason, whether it be Bushrod or someone equivalent. Don't count on the Saints waiting to snag a OT in the first round...too much risk. Decent chance that Joekel, Fisher, and Johnson will all be gone by #15.

Malcolm Jenkins will likely have a role on the team...but it will probably be at FS depth and nickel CB. Maybe the Saints feel comfortable enough with Isa Abdul-Quddus at FS. I honestly think that would be a mistake, especially if you have Harper in your starting lineup. If Harper is the SS, then you need a FS capable of playing Cover 1. I don't think that IAQ is good enough for that role. The draft does not have a FS that would be a certain upgrade to IAQ at FS. Unless they upgrade the position (or put someone at SS better at pass defense) I think that they upgrade FS in free agency.

There are other significant positions of need...DE vs NT, and SOLB...but I feel that they can be acquired on the cheap. There are lots of low priced options in free agency for these positions. Aubrayo Franklin or Casey Hampton would be an excellent one year stop gap at NT. I believe Richard Seymour and Mike Devito would provide nice depth at DE without breaking the bank. Other than Star Lotululei, I do not believe that there is a NT worthy of the #15 overall pick. I hope that the Saints consider that when projecting Akiem Hicks at either DE or NT. DEs are much easier to acquire, so if Hicks fits the bill at NT, that is where he should be. At SOLB you would have to imagine that Victor Butler may be in the Saints plans. Want a blast from the past? How about Scott Fujita in the mix at SOLB. Wouldn't be a great pass rusher, but can contain against the run and cover TEs.
FLOODx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with all the points you made. FS really worries me, and a LT is a must unless we believe in Charles Brown. Just posted in the offseason thread that Rickey Jean Francois will visit the Saints. Would be a great signing and can play all along the D line.

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
spanky3801

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer to FS question is real simple.

Draft Xavier Rhodes. Then trade Jenkins for a 3rd or 3th with a conditional 2014.
sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spanky3801 wrote:
The answer to FS question is real simple.

Draft Xavier Rhodes. Then trade Jenkins for a 3rd or 3th with a conditional 2014.

Didn't we learn from the Jenkins experience?
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not expecting any big news out of Saints camp for about 2-3 days. The restructuring of Vilma and Smith's contract sadly is likely the only news we will hear today.

I hope I'm wrong though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
spanky3801

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does the "Jenkins experience " have to do with Rhodes?
QB Connoisseur

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another quiet free agency.

Le sigh Sad
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spanky3801 wrote:
What does the "Jenkins experience " have to do with Rhodes?

Changing a CB to FS.

Saints
LSU
Pelicans

PSN: The_SlayerSaint (PS4)

Adopt a Saint 2014:
Cam Jordan:
Joseph Morgan
spanky3801

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing wrong with converting a CB to FS. There is something wrong with converting Jenkins to FS.

He sucks
Harper41

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the issue with Jenkins isn't that he played CB. Most of the FS in the league are converted CBs.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: