Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens sign WR/Returner David Reed to a 2-year deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
SnA ExclusiVe


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 18827
Location: Spokane, WA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
^^^ Only one of them is 32, on the decline, and needs consistently accurate QB play to look good since he can't gain any kind of separation on routes... while the other player is just entering his prime as a franchise QB and has been helping to get this team to AFCCGs since before Boldin was even on this squad.

Also while I didn't want Flacco to get paid anything more than $18.5m before his deal... and I'm on record of saying he wouldn't be worth it... the Ravens have really trolled the league and the media. Flacco is worth AT LEAST $16m, but any intelligent human being will see that Flacco didn't sign for $20m over 6 years.

They will instead see that Flacco just signed a 3 year, $36.15m contract. Sure he has $51m guaranteed, but come year 4 of the deal, once the new salary cap is set from the TV contract, we'll revist Flacco's deal and a) add years onto the deal and depending on the new cap, we'll likely lower Flacco's cap hit to around that $20-22m area... which under the new cap should be similar to being paid $16-17m/year I'd imagine.

So in the long run, Flacco's ACTUAL deal will probably only truly average the $17-18m that we thought he'd be worth... and not the $20m that his current contract says he's being paid.

But understanding this concept isn't something too many fans will bring to the table. Instead most will simply clamor on about how Flacco is getting paid and its forcing the team to make moves to accomodate his contract. No, they're not. This team is shedding players that they feel aren't worth their salary.

These moves aren't being done for Flacco, they're being done so that we can upgrade the talent of our roster with value additions.


I stopped reading here because you have absolutely no idea how wrong you are.


Is he? I've heard you claim that he bailed flacco out numerous times throughout the playoffs but am yet to see or read any evidence of the sort.


Well for starters there's a difference between getting separation via speed and getting separation via physicality and getting separation via route running. Boldin employs the later two of those.

A couple of examples come to mind. The TD against the Redskins, the TD against the Colts, and the TD against the Patriots.

As for him bailing Flacco out, a classic example, I think this was in the Colts game, was when Flacco scrambled to his right and threw up a pass and Boldin somehow came down with it (maybe it was against SF, I can't remember the team). Another example was the TD against Indy where Flacco threw it up and just let Boldin out-muscle the other guy, which he did.

Make no mistake about it, Boldin still gets separation when he's placed in the slot and can work the entire field and not just the sidelines.
_________________

SteelKing728 wrote:
I got Andrew Luck winning MVP this year

Official stalker victim of Harper41.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spiritoftruth


Joined: 22 Nov 2006
Posts: 2161
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're completely right about Boldin SnA. He's gonna kill it with SF next year.
_________________

NextBigThing wrote:
I am a Patriots fan, I know all about excellence.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SnA ExclusiVe


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 18827
Location: Spokane, WA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiritoftruth wrote:
You're completely right about Boldin SnA. He's gonna kill it with SF next year.


Idk, I have a feeling he's not going to do really anything in that scheme there.
_________________

SteelKing728 wrote:
I got Andrew Luck winning MVP this year

Official stalker victim of Harper41.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12769
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
^^^ Only one of them is 32, on the decline, and needs consistently accurate QB play to look good since he can't gain any kind of separation on routes... while the other player is just entering his prime as a franchise QB and has been helping to get this team to AFCCGs since before Boldin was even on this squad.

Also while I didn't want Flacco to get paid anything more than $18.5m before his deal... and I'm on record of saying he wouldn't be worth it... the Ravens have really trolled the league and the media. Flacco is worth AT LEAST $16m, but any intelligent human being will see that Flacco didn't sign for $20m over 6 years.

They will instead see that Flacco just signed a 3 year, $36.15m contract. Sure he has $51m guaranteed, but come year 4 of the deal, once the new salary cap is set from the TV contract, we'll revist Flacco's deal and a) add years onto the deal and depending on the new cap, we'll likely lower Flacco's cap hit to around that $20-22m area... which under the new cap should be similar to being paid $16-17m/year I'd imagine.

So in the long run, Flacco's ACTUAL deal will probably only truly average the $17-18m that we thought he'd be worth... and not the $20m that his current contract says he's being paid.

But understanding this concept isn't something too many fans will bring to the table. Instead most will simply clamor on about how Flacco is getting paid and its forcing the team to make moves to accomodate his contract. No, they're not. This team is shedding players that they feel aren't worth their salary.

These moves aren't being done for Flacco, they're being done so that we can upgrade the talent of our roster with value additions.


I stopped reading here because you have absolutely no idea how wrong you are.

Outmuscling a guy for a pass or pushing off to create minimal room ISN'T separation. Separation is a WR creating an open window of space that a QB can safely throw the ball into, a good area of about 12-16 yards of cushion (meaning about 4+ yards of open space all around him).

Creating space is the Rocky Mountain Rainbow where Jacoby Jones burns his corner so bad, Flacco can throw a duck for a deep ball and he still gave Flacco enough room to for a big play. Or the Jacoby Jones play vs. San Fran he separates, gets up, and jukes out like three guys. Derrick Mason used to create a window of space using route running and quickness, but many times he would also have to make contested catches lster in his career too due to his losing quickness with age.

Through the entire playoffs for Boldin didn't get separation against man coverage there is a player in Boldin's hip pocket the whole time, he just has a skillset to make him adept at fighting for contested balls. The only time Boldin is getting space on that highlight clip is when he was playing against San Fran and they went zone coverage. All the other balls he had to make "amazing grabs" on...
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SnA ExclusiVe


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 18827
Location: Spokane, WA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
^^^ Only one of them is 32, on the decline, and needs consistently accurate QB play to look good since he can't gain any kind of separation on routes... while the other player is just entering his prime as a franchise QB and has been helping to get this team to AFCCGs since before Boldin was even on this squad.

Also while I didn't want Flacco to get paid anything more than $18.5m before his deal... and I'm on record of saying he wouldn't be worth it... the Ravens have really trolled the league and the media. Flacco is worth AT LEAST $16m, but any intelligent human being will see that Flacco didn't sign for $20m over 6 years.

They will instead see that Flacco just signed a 3 year, $36.15m contract. Sure he has $51m guaranteed, but come year 4 of the deal, once the new salary cap is set from the TV contract, we'll revist Flacco's deal and a) add years onto the deal and depending on the new cap, we'll likely lower Flacco's cap hit to around that $20-22m area... which under the new cap should be similar to being paid $16-17m/year I'd imagine.

So in the long run, Flacco's ACTUAL deal will probably only truly average the $17-18m that we thought he'd be worth... and not the $20m that his current contract says he's being paid.

But understanding this concept isn't something too many fans will bring to the table. Instead most will simply clamor on about how Flacco is getting paid and its forcing the team to make moves to accomodate his contract. No, they're not. This team is shedding players that they feel aren't worth their salary.

These moves aren't being done for Flacco, they're being done so that we can upgrade the talent of our roster with value additions.


I stopped reading here because you have absolutely no idea how wrong you are.

Outmuscling a guy for a pass or pushing off to create minimal room ISN'T separation. Separation is a WR creating an open window of space that a QB can safely throw the ball into, a good area of about 12-16 yards of cushion (meaning about 4+ yards of open space all around him).

Creating space is the Rocky Mountain Rainbow where Jacoby Jones burns his corner so bad, Flacco can throw a duck for a deep ball and he still gave Flacco enough room to for a big play. Or the Jacoby Jones play vs. San Fran he separates, gets up, and jukes out like three guys. Derrick Mason used to create a window of space using route running and quickness, but many times he would also have to make contested catches lster in his career too due to his losing quickness with age.

Through the entire playoffs for Boldin didn't get separation against man coverage there is a player in Boldin's hip pocket the whole time, he just has a skillset to make him adept at fighting for contested balls. The only time Boldin is getting space on that highlight clip is when he was playing against San Fran and they went zone coverage. All the other balls he had to make "amazing grabs" on...


Ah, there's the problem, your definition of "getting separation" is completely flawed and unrealistic. 12 yards of separation? Give me a break. In the NFL, being "open" means you have 2-3 steps on a guy.
_________________

SteelKing728 wrote:
I got Andrew Luck winning MVP this year

Official stalker victim of Harper41.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12769
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:

Outmuscling a guy for a pass or pushing off to create minimal room ISN'T separation. Separation is a WR creating an open window of space that a QB can safely throw the ball into, a good area of about 12-16 yards of cushion (meaning about 4+ yards of open space all around him).

Creating space is the Rocky Mountain Rainbow where Jacoby Jones burns his corner so bad, Flacco can throw a duck for a deep ball and he still gave Flacco enough room to for a big play. Or the Jacoby Jones play vs. San Fran he separates, gets up, and jukes out like three guys. Derrick Mason used to create a window of space using route running and quickness, but many times he would also have to make contested catches lster in his career too due to his losing quickness with age.

Through the entire playoffs for Boldin didn't get separation against man coverage there is a player in Boldin's hip pocket the whole time, he just has a skillset to make him adept at fighting for contested balls. The only time Boldin is getting space on that highlight clip is when he was playing against San Fran and they went zone coverage. All the other balls he had to make "amazing grabs" on...


Ah, there's the problem, your definition of "getting separation" is completely flawed and unrealistic. 12 yards of separation? Give me a break. In the NFL, being "open" means you have 2-3 steps on a guy.

Laughing
Wow... and that's your problem, you simply aren't very good at reading... or math or both... My friend, what exactly is the AREA of a circle mean? Hmm?? Maybe pictures will help you better understand...

So now, let's break this down:
Step One wrote:
Area = 12-16 yds of space (my definition of separation)

12 yds = ∏ x d.. or (∏ x r)
12 yds/∏ = d or (r)
3.82 = d or r

Convert yardage to feet:
3.82 yds x 3 = 11.46 feet

OR
16 yds = ∏ x d.. or (∏ x r)
16 yds/∏ = d or (r)
5.09 = d or r

Convert yardage to feet:
5.09 yds x 3 = 15.29 feet


Step Two wrote:
Run stride = approximately the length of the body- give or take- and Boldin is 6'1". Also a "step" is the same thing as a "stride length". Now using the normal definition of separation as being 2-3 steps, here is what we have...

Boldin height = 6.08 ft
Stride = 6.08 ft
2-3 steps = 12.16 ft - 18.24 ft

Convert back to yards
12.16 ft = 4.05 yds
18.24 ft = 6.08 yds

So... last I checked my definition of separation certainly fits within the normal definition of separation alloted at the professional level.

Now, please explain to me how, if Boldin has a man on his hip pocket as Flacco is throwing him the ball... he has 2-3 steps on his defender??

I'll wait...
I'll wait some more...
I'll wait just a little bit longer...

Oh, that's right, you can't... because your logic is flawed.

Your logic = Weighed, Measured... and you have been found wanting.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RavensfanRD


Joined: 07 Mar 2007
Posts: 1640
Location: Baltimore, MD (Land of the Greatness)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:

Outmuscling a guy for a pass or pushing off to create minimal room ISN'T separation. Separation is a WR creating an open window of space that a QB can safely throw the ball into, a good area of about 12-16 yards of cushion (meaning about 4+ yards of open space all around him).

Creating space is the Rocky Mountain Rainbow where Jacoby Jones burns his corner so bad, Flacco can throw a duck for a deep ball and he still gave Flacco enough room to for a big play. Or the Jacoby Jones play vs. San Fran he separates, gets up, and jukes out like three guys. Derrick Mason used to create a window of space using route running and quickness, but many times he would also have to make contested catches lster in his career too due to his losing quickness with age.

Through the entire playoffs for Boldin didn't get separation against man coverage there is a player in Boldin's hip pocket the whole time, he just has a skillset to make him adept at fighting for contested balls. The only time Boldin is getting space on that highlight clip is when he was playing against San Fran and they went zone coverage. All the other balls he had to make "amazing grabs" on...


Ah, there's the problem, your definition of "getting separation" is completely flawed and unrealistic. 12 yards of separation? Give me a break. In the NFL, being "open" means you have 2-3 steps on a guy.

Laughing
Wow... and that's your problem, you simply aren't very good at reading... or math or both... My friend, what exactly is the AREA of a circle mean? Hmm?? Maybe pictures will help you better understand...

So now, let's break this down:
Step One wrote:
Area = 12-16 yds of space (my definition of separation)

12 yds = ∏ x d.. or (∏ x r)
12 yds/∏ = d or (r)
3.82 = d or r

Convert yardage to feet:
3.82 yds x 3 = 11.46 feet

OR
16 yds = ∏ x d.. or (∏ x r)
16 yds/∏ = d or (r)
5.09 = d or r

Convert yardage to feet:
5.09 yds x 3 = 15.29 feet


Step Two wrote:
Run stride = approximately the length of the body- give or take- and Boldin is 6'1". Also a "step" is the same thing as a "stride length". Now using the normal definition of separation as being 2-3 steps, here is what we have...

Boldin height = 6.08 ft
Stride = 6.08 ft
2-3 steps = 12.16 ft - 18.24 ft

Convert back to yards
12.16 ft = 4.05 yds
18.24 ft = 6.08 yds

So... last I checked my definition of separation certainly fits within the normal definition of separation alloted at the professional level.

Now, please explain to me how, if Boldin has a man on his hip pocket as Flacco is throwing him the ball... he has 2-3 steps on his defender??

I'll wait...
I'll wait some more...
I'll wait just a little bit longer...

Oh, that's right, you can't... because your logic is flawed.

Your logic = Weighed, Measured... and you have been found wanting.


Shocked

Toasties! Laughing
_________________

Ray Lewis wrote:
This it! This it, man! This is it! We goin' for a ring man!

Wise Old Man wrote:
Joe Flacco doesn't believe in miracles; miracles believe in Joe Flacco
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Integrity


Joined: 09 Mar 2006
Posts: 4178
Location: Columbia
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

Make no mistake about it, Boldin still gets separation when he's placed in the slot and can work the entire field and not just the sidelines.


Correction, Boldin gets separation in the slot because he's lined up against the opposing team's third best corner. I would have loved to have kept him on the team and used him there, but you can't pay a guy #1 receiver money when he's only effective as a #3.

diamondbull424 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:

Outmuscling a guy for a pass or pushing off to create minimal room ISN'T separation. Separation is a WR creating an open window of space that a QB can safely throw the ball into, a good area of about 12-16 yards of cushion (meaning about 4+ yards of open space all around him).

Creating space is the Rocky Mountain Rainbow where Jacoby Jones burns his corner so bad, Flacco can throw a duck for a deep ball and he still gave Flacco enough room to for a big play. Or the Jacoby Jones play vs. San Fran he separates, gets up, and jukes out like three guys. Derrick Mason used to create a window of space using route running and quickness, but many times he would also have to make contested catches lster in his career too due to his losing quickness with age.

Through the entire playoffs for Boldin didn't get separation against man coverage there is a player in Boldin's hip pocket the whole time, he just has a skillset to make him adept at fighting for contested balls. The only time Boldin is getting space on that highlight clip is when he was playing against San Fran and they went zone coverage. All the other balls he had to make "amazing grabs" on...


Ah, there's the problem, your definition of "getting separation" is completely flawed and unrealistic. 12 yards of separation? Give me a break. In the NFL, being "open" means you have 2-3 steps on a guy.

Laughing
Wow... and that's your problem, you simply aren't very good at reading... or math or both... My friend, what exactly is the AREA of a circle mean? Hmm?? Maybe pictures will help you better understand...

So now, let's break this down:
Step One wrote:
Area = 12-16 yds of space (my definition of separation)

12 yds = ∏ x d.. or (∏ x r)
12 yds/∏ = d or (r)
3.82 = d or r

Convert yardage to feet:
3.82 yds x 3 = 11.46 feet

OR
16 yds = ∏ x d.. or (∏ x r)
16 yds/∏ = d or (r)
5.09 = d or r

Convert yardage to feet:
5.09 yds x 3 = 15.29 feet


Step Two wrote:
Run stride = approximately the length of the body- give or take- and Boldin is 6'1". Also a "step" is the same thing as a "stride length". Now using the normal definition of separation as being 2-3 steps, here is what we have...

Boldin height = 6.08 ft
Stride = 6.08 ft
2-3 steps = 12.16 ft - 18.24 ft

Convert back to yards
12.16 ft = 4.05 yds
18.24 ft = 6.08 yds

So... last I checked my definition of separation certainly fits within the normal definition of separation alloted at the professional level.

Now, please explain to me how, if Boldin has a man on his hip pocket as Flacco is throwing him the ball... he has 2-3 steps on his defender??

I'll wait...
I'll wait some more...
I'll wait just a little bit longer...

Oh, that's right, you can't... because your logic is flawed.

Your logic = Weighed, Measured... and you have been found wanting.


And boom goes the dynamite.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Go_Ravens2


Joined: 30 Dec 2007
Posts: 1973
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:

Outmuscling a guy for a pass or pushing off to create minimal room ISN'T separation. Separation is a WR creating an open window of space that a QB can safely throw the ball into, a good area of about 12-16 yards of cushion (meaning about 4+ yards of open space all around him).

Creating space is the Rocky Mountain Rainbow where Jacoby Jones burns his corner so bad, Flacco can throw a duck for a deep ball and he still gave Flacco enough room to for a big play. Or the Jacoby Jones play vs. San Fran he separates, gets up, and jukes out like three guys. Derrick Mason used to create a window of space using route running and quickness, but many times he would also have to make contested catches lster in his career too due to his losing quickness with age.

Through the entire playoffs for Boldin didn't get separation against man coverage there is a player in Boldin's hip pocket the whole time, he just has a skillset to make him adept at fighting for contested balls. The only time Boldin is getting space on that highlight clip is when he was playing against San Fran and they went zone coverage. All the other balls he had to make "amazing grabs" on...


Ah, there's the problem, your definition of "getting separation" is completely flawed and unrealistic. 12 yards of separation? Give me a break. In the NFL, being "open" means you have 2-3 steps on a guy.

Laughing
Wow... and that's your problem, you simply aren't very good at reading... or math or both... My friend, what exactly is the AREA of a circle mean? Hmm?? Maybe pictures will help you better understand...

So now, let's break this down:
Step One wrote:
Area = 12-16 yds of space (my definition of separation)

12 yds = ∏ x d.. or (∏ x r)
12 yds/∏ = d or (r)
3.82 = d or r

Convert yardage to feet:
3.82 yds x 3 = 11.46 feet

OR
16 yds = ∏ x d.. or (∏ x r)
16 yds/∏ = d or (r)
5.09 = d or r

Convert yardage to feet:
5.09 yds x 3 = 15.29 feet


Step Two wrote:
Run stride = approximately the length of the body- give or take- and Boldin is 6'1". Also a "step" is the same thing as a "stride length". Now using the normal definition of separation as being 2-3 steps, here is what we have...

Boldin height = 6.08 ft
Stride = 6.08 ft
2-3 steps = 12.16 ft - 18.24 ft

Convert back to yards
12.16 ft = 4.05 yds
18.24 ft = 6.08 yds

So... last I checked my definition of separation certainly fits within the normal definition of separation alloted at the professional level.

Now, please explain to me how, if Boldin has a man on his hip pocket as Flacco is throwing him the ball... he has 2-3 steps on his defender??

I'll wait...
I'll wait some more...
I'll wait just a little bit longer...

Oh, that's right, you can't... because your logic is flawed.

Your logic = Weighed, Measured... and you have been found wanting.


Just wanted to point out your math is off. Laughing Your point is very well taken however.

You wrote the area of a circle is equal to pi*D. That is actually the circumference of a circle. The area of a circle is given by (pi*D^2)/4 which is equivalent to pi*r^2. When you do this, you determine the Diameter to be 3.909 yeards, which is basically the same thing you said, so your point still holds true. Just thought it was kinda funny.
_________________

GO RAVENS!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12769
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go_Ravens2 wrote:

Just wanted to point out your math is off. Laughing Your point is very well taken however.

You wrote the area of a circle is equal to pi*D. That is actually the circumference of a circle. The area of a circle is given by (pi*D^2)/4 which is equivalent to pi*r^2. When you do this, you determine the Diameter to be 3.909 yeards, which is basically the same thing you said, so your point still holds true. Just thought it was kinda funny.

So d isn't equal to r?

I know the formula for the area of a circle is indeed
area= ∏ x r

But I thought the diameter was equal to r?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just checked and it's equal to 2r...

But that said, the math shouldn't be off, the numbers may be off because I didn't use a graphic calculator to calculate pie, just used the computer calculater and use 3.14... which will produce a slight variation either way.

What should be off, if anything, is the formula for area derived using the diameter, the r totals should be as accurate as 3.14 will get you without a pie button. So it's the language that's off. r should be the same. But indeed the diameter would need to be changed. I would've needed to find the square root of r and then multiply by 2 to get the diameter that you found...

Or simply used the formula for the area of a circle derived by diameter that you provided above, but it's been awhile since HS... I didn't remember that formula. Laughing
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BaltimoreTerp


Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

Joined: 13 Feb 2005
Posts: 27607
Location: Washington, DC
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boldin doesn't really generate separation. He doesn't have the speed or elusiveness to do so anymore. His cuts can often be sloppy and often times he gets into the grey area of offensive pass interference in order to get a step on a corner. The only play I remember him consistently getting open for was that post route from the slot that he scored touchdowns against New England and San Francisco on, but that was a play designed to beat the zone defense and had more to do with timing and scheme and Flacco/Boldin connecting in the hole of the zone.

You can say many things about what Boldin is good at, but you're really stretching when you talk about him as gaining separation. What made him affective was that even though he could not get open, he still made difficult catches in traffic because of how physical and strong he is. If you're actually a good route runner and can generate separation, then it really doesn't matter whether it's Cam Cameron or not calling the plays. When you talk about Cam being the reason that he couldn't be affective and 'not using him properly,' you're sort of ceding the point without realizing it. Cam wasn't using him properly because he wasn't scheming to get Boldin easier looks. He counted on Boldin to beat his man more often and he wasn't able to do that. Derrick Mason didn't need a better scheme to get open. Anquan Boldin does.

You're being extremely generous to Boldin and unfair to Flacco when you say that Boldin 'bailed him out' on some of those throws, like the plays in the Colts games. Boldin was blanketed in most of these situations and Flacco still trusted him to make a play, and the two had good enough chemistry that Flacco can put that ball in a place where only Boldin can make the play. That's ball placement in tight coverage, and in every other situation it's a good throw, but apparently for Flacco it's 'him getting bailed out.' If Flacco doesn't attempt those kinds of throws with Boldin, ane he doesn't put them in the right place for Boldin to go up and get them, then he'd never make a play with Boldin, or even ever try to throw to Boldin. Because he would never be open.

It's sort of hilariously ironic to here that trotted out so often, because when the Rocky Mountain Rainbow happened, there were all those people who said that it wasn't impressive because Jacoby had a step on Rahim Moore. Yet, many of those same people also shrug at Flacco's throws to Boldin because it was Boldin supposedly making the play. So what, pray I ask, does Joe Flacco have to do to make a good play? If when he puts the ball in a position where his covered receiver to catch the ball, it's all the receiver's credit, and when he takes advantage of coverage breaking down to throw to an open receiver, it's the receiver's credit and just the defense making a bad play, how the hell does a quarterback ever make a good throw?

What I worry about in losing Boldin is that Flacco doesn't currently have that sort of chemistry and relationship with any other receiver where he throws confidently into tight coverage, though he seemed to be developing that more with Torrey towards the end of the year. Flacco trusts his arm but he doesn't always trust his receivers. That back-shoulder fade is a throw that he loves, and someone on this roster or who will be added to the roster, be it Torrey, a rookie, a FA, or even Doss if need be, is going to have to work with Flacco to keep that in our arsenal.

Boldin's route running is also why I'm skeptical about his impact in San Francisco. Kaepernick, from what I've seen so far, is a quarterback who can punish you when you blow a coverage, but he doesn't really like throwing into tighter windows yet. He's not going to throw Boldin's way at all if he expects Boldin to get as open as Vernon Davis or Michael Crabtree get.
_________________
"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12769
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Agreed. I think that's the biggest loss we'll see as well. Trust to throw into tight coverage. But with an OC whose shown he's willing to use the strengths of his players and scheme them open... guys like Tandon Doss and David Reed might be effective slot options... if we don't address the WR position in the draft. And we can't forget that we have a big guy like Tommy Streeter that could be worth mentioning.

I'm not 100% positive about losing Boldin, obviously, but we still have plenty of options at our disposal and plenty of time for young guys to develop some trust with Flacco. I'd still like us to draft a big physical bodied guy with hands in the draft if we can- like DeAndre Hopkins or Da'Rick Rogers... but if our receiver position is the same heading into the season, I don't think it'something that we can't necessarily overcome. Which is why I'm not panicked by Boldin not being back.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SnA ExclusiVe


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 18827
Location: Spokane, WA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB: Haha, that's cute, you know how to post pictures and miscalculate PI. I remember when I was in middle school.

Bottom line is that you still don't know what you're talking about in regards to Boldin. He can and does generate separation, even without speed, and somehow that's too hard for most people to comprehend for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJETviUYRWc&NR=1&feature=endscreen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUJqM9oZ2P8

How does he do that without speed? The answer is physicality and making good cuts and running good routes. There's more to getting open than just being fast.
_________________

SteelKing728 wrote:
I got Andrew Luck winning MVP this year

Official stalker victim of Harper41.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12769
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
DB: Haha, that's cute, you know how to post pictures and miscalculate PI. I remember when I was in middle school.

Bottom line is that you still don't know what you're talking about in regards to Boldin. He can and does generate separation, even without speed, and somehow that's too hard for most people to comprehend for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJETviUYRWc&NR=1&feature=endscreen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUJqM9oZ2P8

How does he do that without speed? The answer is physicality and making good cuts and running good routes. There's more to getting open than just being fast.

Cool story bro... so you still didn't answer the question, where is the separation in the clips you just posted? He's working against a dud of an UDFA in Cassius Vaughn, yet still couldn't get separation against him. Vaughn is in Boldin's hip pocket when Flacco releases the ball for both of those throws. Heck on one he even trips, recovers and still is in position to make a play... just because Boldin abuses a player that is overmatched and has an outlier of a game because of it, doesn't mean he's separating. He did nothing more than make contested grabs over an incompetent defender.

So again, try again buddy... your logic is flawed. I mean, it's quite clear, you're the only one living in this fairytale existence where Boldin has two-three steps on a man whose running right next to him stride for stride (outside of when he trips and still has time to recover and reattach himself into Boldin's hip pocket).
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flaccomania


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 20289
Location: Parkville, MD
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
DB: Haha, that's cute, you know how to post pictures and miscalculate PI. I remember when I was in middle school.


Uhhh.. just wanted to point this out...

First, he had to explain it because you had trouble understanding his point in the first place.

And then secondly you call him out for a mathematical error, but say he "miscalculated pi", which he absolutely didn't do -- he miscalculated the area of a circle by switching 2r with r^2. He actually used pi correctly. If you're going to call him out and try to insult him, at least correctly point out what he did wrong.
_________________


^ I don't quite get why simon made this my losing sig about the Chiefs. I don't think I've made a single post in this forum.

XBL GT: kanxalanx
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group