Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Osemele at LT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Go_Ravens2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
^^^ I disagree. KO would be a worse LT option than Oher.

And this draft class has LT talent that should be there. I'm telling you guys Barrett Jones can be our solution at LT, I think his skills in that area are being undersold. At worse he'd be a better LT option than anything we have on the roster. He's just as tall as Oher, has longer arms, and is similarly athletic... only he's incredibly intelligent and just an overall football natural. No way I see him being anything worse than above average at LT... and his ceiling could be as a one or two time probowler on that side IMO.

And I also disagree, I'd much rather have a dominant component to an OL than a below average LT and a bunch of average talents. Insert KO into LG and with Yanda on the right side, you've got an elite interior just as long as Gino doesn't stank up the joint. Now you have Reid and Oher battle it out for the OT spots- worst case scenario and provide help to whoever plays LT.

I don't know if you were talking to me on the first point or not because I agree Oher at LT > KO at LT. I never said I'd prefer KO to Oher. When I was saying some scrub at LT I was saying if we kept KO at LG and Oher at RT because then IMO we have a scrub playing LT. If they really wanted to keep Oher at RT, which seems like the case if they're discussing moving KO over to LT, then we'd choose between a scrub LT and KO at LG, or KO at LT and an average LG. IMO I'd prefer the second one because I do not want to have a scrub LT because that would just lead to our 120 million dollar man getting killed. I could certainly see the argument the other way because having an elite player on the line is great and we could have the best guard duo in the league, but at what cost? For me, as I said before, best case is we fix LT in the draft, and keep KO at guard and Oher at RT.

GO RAVENS!!
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me like Ozzie's just blowing smoke up everyone's arses. I guess I don't doubt that we would consider Osemele at LT if we have to, but the fact that he's saying this during interviews that are draft-oriented says more to me that he doesn't want to tip his hand in any direction in regards to the draft, so he's giving answers that make it seem as much like we're happy at as many positions possible. I mean, I'm pretty sure during this same press conference when he was asked about what defensive positions he was interested in, he more or less said interior linemen, linebackers, safeties, except he also said wouldn't pass up a good corner or pass rusher... so essentially, his answer was that he would take any position. Everyone and their mom knows we're scouting tackles pretty heavily, but at least publicly I think he's just trying to pour as much water as possible on the idea that we're committed to taking a tackle in the draft. Hence, he raised the possibility of McKinnie coming back and also mentioned Osemele as non-Michael Oher potential solutions at LT, as if to say that he does not feel boxed in by his tackle situation.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would NOT want KO to play LT, especially over Oher.

IMO the order would go:

McKinnie
FA
Draft Pick
Oher
Jah Reid
KO

RIP Dennis Pitta's hip. You will be missed on 3rd downs Sad
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Osemele has the potential to be a pro bowl LG, and a physical monster who just mauls defensive linemen. That's where I want him to stay, because if Gradkowski works out like we hope at Center, then that O-line looks dominant everywhere except LT.

LT will continue to be a problem, unless the Ravens address it in the draft with someone who can start fairly soon, but I'd rather just have that one problem than move Osemele and weaken LG as well.

I know other names have been mentioned. Jah Reid, David Mims, Ramon Harewood. I don't really see any of these guys being the answer, but nor do I see that with Osemele.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
I think Osemele has the potential to be a pro bowl LG, and a physical monster who just mauls defensive linemen. That's where I want him to stay, because if Gradkowski works out like we hope at Center, then that O-line looks dominant everywhere except LT.

LT will continue to be a problem, unless the Ravens address it in the draft with someone who can start fairly soon, but I'd rather just have that one problem than move Osemele and weaken LG as well.

I know other names have been mentioned. Jah Reid, David Mims, Ramon Harewood. I don't really see any of these guys being the answer, but nor do I see that with Osemele.

And this is exactly how I fell as well.

diamondbull424

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Mancunian Raven wrote:

And this is exactly how I fell as well.

Yeah, me too. Sometimes when I think too hard, I just lose balance and bam... Razz Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

IMO the order would go:

McKinnie
FA
Draft Pick
Oher
Jah Reid
KO

Take a look at the remaining free agents who play LT. You might want to move that option down a bit. Laughing
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see what the problem is. He is athletic and has great length. Experience at the position. Reid looked pretty good at LG. I would have loved to have him dominate at guard forever but this isn't any less desirable than Oher at LT.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

IMO the order would go:

McKinnie
FA
Draft Pick
Oher
Jah Reid
KO

Take a look at the remaining free agents who play LT. You might want to move that option down a bit. Laughing

Right now. But it's still a fluid situation. One thing I've been keeping an eye on is in Philly where there is a very good chance they take a LT next week and then you have Jason Peters coming off a missed season with a huge base salary and barely any dead money if they release him.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Baltimore Pride

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

IMO the order would go:

McKinnie
FA
Draft Pick
Oher
Jah Reid
KO

Right now. But it's still a fluid situation. One thing I've been keeping an eye on is in Philly where there is a very good chance they take a LT next week and then you have Jason Peters coming off a missed season with a huge base salary and barely any dead money if they release him.
This is what I was thinking, not only the Jason Peters situation but post-draft cuts. Players often get cut due to their team finding a replacement in the draft or if they fail to report to TC on time or in shape (much like Bryant McKinnie was cut in 2011 over).

If we fail to draft a potential starter in the draft I don't think our options in FA are completely shot. Though if we fail to land someone in the draft I would much rather just sign McKinnie for another season.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But still, I think the point is that the draft should be a higher solution for our LT problems then a potential FA addition on a list.

Even with Jason Peters, the guy is coming off TWO ruptured Achilles (IIRC), that's not something that's just going to be a cake walk to come back from and come back at a high level.

McKinnie, we know what we're going to get. We're going to get a guy who will come into camp at best, decently out of shape. Then he's going to win the job, play well early in the season, then start to suck after 5 or so games because he can't keep himself properly motivated.

The draft, I think is our best bet for fixing the LT spot.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the options in the draft though?

Armstead who played at a small school and I'd imagine isn't close to being ready to start at LT in the NFL. Reach at 32. Off the board by 62

Faulk who was pretty nice but who knows how his knee is coming along and if he will be ready to go.

Watson a raw RT. Reach at 32. Off the board by 62.

Aboushi, Quessenberry, and Pugh who I think would all get absolutely wrecked.

Barrett Jones I could possibly see being viable.

I just don't see any immediate answers coming out of this draft.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
What are the options in the draft though?

Armstead who played at a small school and I'd imagine isn't close to being ready to start at LT in the NFL. Reach at 32. Off the board by 62

Faulk who was pretty nice but who knows how his knee is coming along and if he will be ready to go.

Watson a raw RT. Reach at 32. Off the board by 62.

Aboushi, Quessenberry, and Pugh who I think would all get absolutely wrecked.

Barrett Jones I could possibly see being viable.

I just don't see any immediate answers coming out of this draft.

Jones is my favorite option. And we have multiple picks, we don't have to reach at 32... we can trade up from 62 to get an Armstead or Watson... if we wanted to go that route.

And even then, those possibilities are still vastly better than targeting a potential cut from another team that is coming off two ruptured Achilles.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
I don't see what the problem is. He is athletic and has great length. Experience at the position. Reid looked pretty good at LG. I would have loved to have him dominate at guard forever but this isn't any less desirable than Oher at LT.

The problem is that you're creating more problems than you're solving by moving him to LT....THAT is how this whole Michael Oher thing started, and it needs to stop.

He's dominant at LG. Leave him at LG and find a LT, it's THAT simple, but people want to overthink things and try to create solutions out of nothing and it just ends up creating more problems.

dcarey20

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, I just cannot get on board with Barrett Jones at LT and frankly I just continue to be blown away that a number of you guys keep mentioning him as a possible option there.

I don't think you'll find one GM in the NFL that would draft him with the intention of putting him there. If somehow he ends up there I'll eat my words but that guy is a guard or a center and that's it. I don't care that he's got a tad bit of experience at LT, I just don't see that position at the next level given his skill set.

I also don't understand how you guys can like Jones and then hate on Justin Pugh. Both have similar attributes, with Pugh being a far better athlete and having a far higher ceiling.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: