Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Osemele at LT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcfields

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Osemele at LT Reply with quote

In the event that the Ravens do not re-sign Bryant McKinnie (for whatever reason), do you think K.O. can play left tackle? I think it works. He played LT in college, he has REALLY long arms, he did an exceptional job at RT last year and I think he has the feet to handle speed rushers. McKinnie said on the NFL Network that he "gave them (the Ravens) a hometown discount last year". This could obviously present a problem. I say draft an offensive lineman in the middle rounds to compete with Jah Reid or Gradkowski (3 players to compete for 2 positions - LG & C), Yanda at RG and Oher at RT (which I think is his natural position). I think it works competitively and cap-wise.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. He was pretty inconsistent at RT last season. At times he shined and and others he was beaten soundly. I don't think he has the footwork to be consistent on the outside. On the other hand when Osemele moved inside to LG he was dominant. It was easily the biggest upgrade along the OL when the Ravens went with that alignment. If Gradkowski is going to take over at C I think it would be wise to put as much support around him as possible. Having what is legitimately one of the NFL's top guard pairings in Yanda and Osemele fits the bill.

Oher looked about the same at RT as he did LT so I'm not worried about one of the OT spots. At this point I think we know what he is - solid and nothing more. Obviously it would be nice to get a LT that we can be confident in but given what free agents are on the market this season and how meh the draft is after Joeckel and Fisher (Johnson will go before Baltimore's pick too but I'm not as high on him as others) I doubt they find that type of player this offseason.

If McKinnie chases the money Baltimore will need another LT but I think they'd be looking at a developmental prospect and maybe a cheaper veteran while moving Oher back to the left side. Reid would be the top candidate for RT in that situation.

I'm not as worried about the offensive line as others are. Well, at least if Osemele is kept at LG. Flacco needs strong interior play so he has a clean picket. Pressure from the interior of the defense is more disruptive than pressure from the edges and we've seen how good Flacco looks when he's not shuffling around all the time because the G (or C) is getting routinely abused.
gooselovechild

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Osemele has All Pro potential at G, Pro Bowl potential at RT, but he's just another guy as a LT.

When he came into the draft, he tended to lean too much instead of moving his feet, so he had trouble with speed. He also had difficulty staying on his feet, which may have been the scheme at ISU, but it put him out of position a lot. I've seen nothing in his performance that would indicate that those traits wouldn't continue if he was kicked outside to LT.

At RT, he would be facing the "B" pass rusher, and can use his size and arms to hold guys off more. He's also got a mean streak, which you look for in the RT, especially in the running game. But with the possibility of Oher staying there, it doesn't put the best 5 on the field together.

But at G, in enclosed spaces, he's just a beast who swallows up DL. When he doesn't have to move as much, he can use his size and reach to just envelop, latch, and move the guy he's blocking wherever he wants to take him. Its his best position, and minimizes his exposure to the limitations of his game.
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to keep him at guard. He was so dominant in the playoffs. Didn't even notice Wilfork was on the field in the AFCCG.

It isn't inconceivable though. He looks like he has the feet and a monster wingspan.

Free Ray Rice
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well seeing as we do this with Michael Oher every year after he obviously shows he's a RT, it wouldn't surprise me to take Osemele and put him at LT and let him fail after showing he's a pretty solid LG.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Well seeing as we do this with Michael Oher every year after he obviously shows he's a RT, it wouldn't surprise me to take Osemele and put him at LT and let him fail after showing he's a pretty solid LG.

Give me a break with this whining. Honestly.

We move Oher to LT not because it's fun, but because he's the best option. Is he better at RT than LT? Absolutely. Does playing him at RT and having hot garbage at LT makes us a better line? No. Does moving him to LT and having an average RT make us a better line? Yes. It's not rocket surgery. He's not the best, but he's the best we've got. Stop making it seem like the coaches have no idea what they're doing and simply think it's fun to flip flop him. They don't have much of a choice.

To the thread -- no, I don't see KO having that potential. I want to keep him at LG and watch him dominate.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want KO to stay at LG. But if McKinnie bolts out of town, are you gonna stick Jah Reid or (gulp) Ramon Harewood at LT? It's a hypothetical question because McKinnie leaving is a real possibility. If McKinnie leaves & KO stays at LG, Oher probably moves to LT. I then have no faith in anyone on the current roster playing the other tackle position.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcfields wrote:
I want KO to stay at LG. But if McKinnie bolts out of town, are you gonna stick Jah Reid or (gulp) Ramon Harewood at LT? It's a hypothetical question because McKinnie leaving is a real possibility. If McKinnie leaves & KO stays at LG, Oher probably moves to LT. I then have no faith in anyone on the current roster playing the other tackle position.

I could see Oher at LT and Reid at RT. Or always the possibility of a mid-round choice or an older veteran coming in.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO!!!

NO!!!

KO was UTTERLY dominant at LG. Honestly, at LG his potential is to be the best interior player in the NFL. Really, he was a rookie last year and when he was switched over to LG... he dominated so much that he made All Pro OG, Marshal Yanda look simply 'good' IMO. And the combination of those two in the interior gives us an elite interior.

In terms of the tackle situation, Oher should be moved back over to LT and Reid should man the RT position. We drafted Reid in the 3rd round and moved up to get him in a similar manner as what we did with Pierce. So obviously we were high on him. Reid also looked pretty good as a rookie when he saw time. Last year he dealt with an a calf issue for the vast majority of the season, then it was a toe issue. With an offseason to recover and build his strength back, I can see Reid playing RT at a level similar to what KO did there. He has better feet and more athleticism in comparison to KO. He's taller and while he doesn't possess the same freakish arm length that KO brings to the table, at 34 3/8", his arms are very long. Reid still has potential yet.

That said, if a nice value option is there at OT we should pounce on it. I think either way, we should be looking for OT help with Oher's contract up after this year. Luke Marquardt is a guy I'm high on, very nice measurables, athleticism, coached by HOF OL... all that he's lacking I'd say is level of competition.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K.O. Needs to say at guard, plain and simple. He's dominant there so don't touch him.

What we need to do is sign a viable LT, I've been texting Jermon Bushrod's sister (Ashley, grew up with her) for the last week explaining to her how Jermon would excel next to K.O., and Baltimore is close to his hometown King George, VA. She said Baltimore hasn't contacted him at all, but if he does sign here, you all can thank me! Lol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love jah. I think he could be a really solid to good RT. My dream would be to draft terron armstead and let him sit behind oher for a year. I really think this guy looks like hes going to be an elite pass protector. And sitting a year will allow him to get stronger and better at the run. I really want this guy. That way next year when oher wants big bucks because hes the blind side, we can let him walk and plug in terron

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Baltimore Ravens ‏@Ravens 1m
Ozzie says that Kelechi Osemele could get a chance at LT, and that he'd probably get that shot if the season started today.

No dammit. I guess that means they'd really rather not move Oher back to LT though. Still, keep Osemele at LG!
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't they just leave people at positions that they dominate at?!

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
Go_Ravens2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Why can't they just leave people at positions that they dominate at?!

Because LT is more important than LG. We do not have anyone on our roster that we like at LT, but someone has to play it. I'd rather not have some scrub playing the most important position on the line just so we can have an elite LG. Ozzie just said he'd get a shot at LT, just like everyone else will. To me, that means they want to keep Oher at RT (which is what you've been begging for since I can remember, so you should actually be happy) and they are evaluating the options for LT, which could include KO, a draft pick, etc.

Ideally we'd have:

Draft pick - KO - Gradkowski - Yanda - Oher

But based on the talent in the draft, I think we're more likely going to see:

Oher - KO - Gradkowski - Yanda - Reid/Draft Pick

or

KO - Reid/Draft pick - Gradkowski - Yanda - Oher

Edit: SnA, who do you want to play LT?? You always complain when people discuss Oher or KO at LT, but I don't see any better options on the roster. I'm just curious if you actually have a plan or you just love complaining.

GO RAVENS!!
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ I disagree. KO would be a worse LT option than Oher.

And this draft class has LT talent that should be there. I'm telling you guys Barrett Jones can be our solution at LT, I think his skills in that area are being undersold. At worse he'd be a better LT option than anything we have on the roster. He's just as tall as Oher, has longer arms, and is similarly athletic... only he's incredibly intelligent and just an overall football natural. No way I see him being anything worse than above average at LT... and his ceiling could be as a one or two time probowler on that side IMO.

And I also disagree, I'd much rather have a dominant component to an OL than a below average LT and a bunch of average talents. Insert KO into LG and with Yanda on the right side, you've got an elite interior just as long as Gino doesn't stank up the joint. Now you have Reid and Oher battle it out for the OT spots- worst case scenario and provide help to whoever plays LT.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: