Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Some thoughts on Barkevious Mingo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jetskid007

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingOfTheHill84 wrote:
If our front seven is

Wilkerson-Ellis-Coples
Barnes-Harris-Davis-Mingo

I'm going to be 1 happy camper, all that speed

What's crazy about that is, pound for pound, Harris would probably be the least "athletic" in the group. If Ellis takes a step in the right direction, that's gonna be a helluva defensive line.
mikejets22

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ansah, Ansah, and more Ansah. He was the focus of all offenses playing BYU and still had a huge impact. Drew double teams, lined up all along the line, batted balls down, chased down RBs he did it all.

Imagine him being able to be our 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB because he is big enough AND athletic enough. Literally the perfect player for a defense that has so many different looks. The fact that he has played such a small amount of football just means he has that much more room to grow. If he is there at 9, he needs to be a NYJ.

I have so much confidence in this kid, that I would be willing to trade up for him if the Jets weren't needy at so many positions. No way we trade up this year, but if he sneaks past Oak, detroit, cleveland then I think we have a great shot.
green24

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetskid007 wrote:
KingOfTheHill84 wrote:
If our front seven is

Wilkerson-Ellis-Coples
Barnes-Harris-Davis-Mingo

I'm going to be 1 happy camper, all that speed

What's crazy about that is, pound for pound, Harris would probably be the least "athletic" in the group. If Ellis takes a step in the right direction, that's gonna be a helluva defensive line.

If Ellis at least holds his own, we will have the best 3-4 defensive line in the NFL.
Joe Willie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want him at 9 if that's our only pick. I wouldn't mind taking him at 13 if we got the Bucs pick. I'm willing to take a shot at a high risk/reward player if we get more of a sure thing at 9.
KingOfTheHill84

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Willie wrote:
I don't want him at 9 if that's our only pick. I wouldn't mind taking him at 13 if we got the Bucs pick. I'm willing to take a shot at a high risk/reward player if we get more of a sure thing at 9.

makes no sense

[quote="Ring Worm Sherm"]Revis hasn't done jack since 09[/quote]Fly-A-Jet 2013 Jeremy Kerley
Rec:5 Yards:70 TDs:0 PR Average:7 ypa
Rockice_8

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikejets22 wrote:
Ansah, Ansah, and more Ansah. He was the focus of all offenses playing BYU and still had a huge impact. Drew double teams, lined up all along the line, batted balls down, chased down RBs he did it all.

Imagine him being able to be our 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB because he is big enough AND athletic enough. Literally the perfect player for a defense that has so many different looks. The fact that he has played such a small amount of football just means he has that much more room to grow. If he is there at 9, he needs to be a NYJ.

I have so much confidence in this kid, that I would be willing to trade up for him if the Jets weren't needy at so many positions. No way we trade up this year, but if he sneaks past Oak, detroit, cleveland then I think we have a great shot.

I'm with you on this one. I want Ziggy to drop. Yeah he's raw but I love his size and skill set at the OLB spot. I like the bigger OLB's that can set the edge as well as rush the passer. I don't hate Mingo but I just see flashes of Maybin trying to run wide and the draw play just opening up huge holes.

Ziggy at 270 has the size to bull rush and set the edge. As much as we need a pass rusher I rather take a shot on a guy who could be a complete player over a guy with just as many question marks in his game and will be a one trick pony.

I don't think Ziggy makes it to 9 unfortunately but if he does I'm taking him 10 times out of 10 over Mingo.

Props to Mack on the sig
JetFanSince85

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rex loves versatile defenders.

I think we have added a much needed speed element to the D with Davis and Barnes.

I donít want Mingo, I would sacrifice that speed for a Guy like Ziggy. Here is why, in this fast moving NFL and a Pass Happy league your sub packages are going the way of the Dinosaur.

If we have a Base D of the following

Coples, Ellis, Wilkerson

Barnes, Harris, Davis Ziggy.

To me that is a big athletic front with 3 guys who could demand a double team, on both passing and running downs

Now, Add Mike Huff/Landry to the secondary and we should be a top 5 D again.

That front 7 to me is pretty stout. Average age would be 26 years old.

Plus is you had Revis, Cro in the secondary. This team will be competitive.
jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ansah is not what this defense needs. Rolling Eyes

He's not an OLB and he's RAW. We need someone who can contribute getting after the QB right away.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetsfan4life51 wrote:

He's not an OLB and he's RAW. We need someone who can contribute getting after the QB right away.

On a true passing down 3rd 7-15. You would have this.

Ziggy DE
Coples DT
Ellis DT
Wilkerson DE.

Yeah I get wha your saying, but if you have a guy like Mingo ad DE/OLB in a 3rd 7 they will run at and over him.

I dont want a one trick Pony......
jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JetFanSince85 wrote:
jetsfan4life51 wrote:

Ziggy DE
Coples DT
Ellis DT
Wilkerson DE.

Yeah I get wha your saying, but if you have a guy like Mingo ad DE/OLB in a 3rd 7 they will run at and over him.

On 3rd and 7 we have Wilkerson, Coples, Harris, Davis plugging the run. I'm not trying to be an a-hole but that's such a dumb argument. You don't not draft a guy because of scenarios like that. We need a guy who will get after the QB from the OLB spot.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetsfan4life51 wrote:
JetFanSince85 wrote:
jetsfan4life51 wrote:

Ziggy DE
Coples DT
Ellis DT
Wilkerson DE.

On 3rd and 7 we have Wilkerson, Coples, Harris, Davis plugging the run. I'm not trying to be an a-hole but that's such a dumb argument. You don't not draft a guy because of scenarios like that. We need a guy who will get after the QB from the OLB spot.

Ansah can be that guy. The guy is 270 lbs and ran a 4.63. That is absolutely terrifying. Mingo is 30-35 lbs less and ran a 4.58. Ansah is a physical freak who has showed instincts in what has been a short, short playing career. I like Mingo, but I love Ansah. Ansah has size, speed and strength that will correlate well to the NFL. He can beat a guy inside, outside, using speed or strength. I believe he will be a truly special player. I could be wrong, I've been wrong before, but I don't think I am. If I am I will bake 10 humble pies and eat each one.
jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's more like Coples, we don't need a down lineman.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disagree, think he is much more capable at standing up in a 3-4 at OLB. Much more fluid. I was with you on Ansah before I really sat down and watched the kid. He has unlimited potential as a 4-3 DE/3-4 OLB. So versatile.
Rockice_8

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetsfan4life51 wrote:

No way he's not like Coples. Coples has like 20-25 lbs on him. Ziggy most certainly can handle the OLB spot.

Ansah probably won't be there at 9 and that's cause he's gonna be a beast and other teams will realize that and draft him.

Props to Mack on the sig
mikejets22

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockice_8 wrote:
jetsfan4life51 wrote:

No way he's not like Coples. Coples has like 20-25 lbs on him. Ziggy most certainly can handle the OLB spot.

Ansah probably won't be there at 9 and that's cause he's gonna be a beast and other teams will realize that and draft him.

Exactly, the comparisons to Coples come from BYU using him in the 0 and 1 techniques so often. Not a good spot for him (although he was effective there, based on sheer athleticism). But them having him inside gives the impression that he is purely a dlineman. Wrong.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: