Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Some thoughts on Barkevious Mingo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one who does not care one ounce about the run defense of the first round OLBs?

We are not drafting a guy to stop the run. We are drafting the guy to be a game changer and get the QB. We have Garrett McIntyre and can resign Calvin to seal the edge. We need a mother F'ing pass rusher at OLB in the worst way.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is literally my least favorite first round prospect in this entire draft. I keep going back to the tape and i clearly don't see what anyone else sees. Even his junior year when he had decent numbers it seemed like almost all of his sacks he was completely unblocked, anyone can be a free runner.

He didn't bench for a reason at the combine, it wasn't going to be that impressive. Once someone gets their hands on him he stays blocked. I have seen the comparison before but it seems so true to me, he is EXACTLY Maybin 2.0.

Ansah is raw and not my favorite guy in this draft either but i would greatly prefer him, they ran almost identical 10 yard splits and very similar 40's, only Ansah is way way bigger and stronger, and has 1 1/2 inch longer arms and has TONS more power.

I would be beyond disappointed if we drafted this kid.
jetskid007

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetsfan4life51 wrote:
Am I the only one who does not care one ounce about the run defense of the first round OLBs?

We are not drafting a guy to stop the run. We are drafting the guy to be a game changer and get the QB. We have Garrett McIntyre and can resign Calvin to seal the edge. We need a mother F'ing pass rusher at OLB in the worst way.

I used to care, but as the league has become more and more pass happy I've started not to. I'm not sure what Rex's longterm standing with the Jets is, but I feel like he's done an adequate job of developing some of our guys into stout run defenders over the years
skrILL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rampantjet wrote:
He is literally my least favorite first round prospect in this entire draft. I keep going back to the tape and i clearly don't see what anyone else sees. Even his junior year when he had decent numbers it seemed like almost all of his sacks he was completely unblocked, anyone can be a free runner.

He didn't bench for a reason at the combine, it wasn't going to be that impressive. Once someone gets their hands on him he stays blocked. I have seen the comparison before but it seems so true to me, he is EXACTLY Maybin 2.0.

Ansah is raw and not my favorite guy in this draft either but i would greatly prefer him, they ran almost identical 10 yard splits and very similar 40's, only Ansah is way way bigger and stronger, and has 1 1/2 inch longer arms and has TONS more power.

Sorry but if you don't see his speed and the explosiveness in his first step then I don't think we're watching the same player. It pops off the screen.

Maybin and him are completely different. Maybin was smaller than him, was way less fluid in the hips, and didn't have his speed. The only thing they have in common was being undersized.

N E W Y O R K J E T S
superbowlbound

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skrILL wrote:
rampantjet wrote:

Sorry but if you don't see his speed and the explosiveness in his first step then I don't think we're watching the same player. It pops off the screen.

Maybin and him are completely different. Maybin was smaller than him, was way less fluid in the hips, and didn't have his speed. The only thing they have in common was being undersized.

Im not a huge mingo fan but if ansah, Jones, and jordan are gone id b happy with mingo

big board:
1-ansah
2- Jordan
3- Jones
4- mingo
5- patterson
6- warmack
7- Cooper
8- Fisher
9- geno

I think if the top 6 are off the board when we pick we will do our damdest to trade down
rampantjet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can def see that he is fast, but thats not everything. And NFL OT is gonna get his hands on you, you gotta have something in your bag of tricks once that happens. If he doesn't absolutely fly by everyone he is dead in the water.

I know we are drafting a "pass rusher" but if we take a guy top 10 he better be able to stop the run a bit. We were horrible against the run last year, that is definately something we should care about. I just don't think Mingo can set the edge or even hold up when people run at him, he might make the tackle... 6-7 yards down field.
superbowlbound

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rampantjet wrote:
I can def see that he is fast, but thats not everything. And NFL OT is gonna get his hands on you, you gotta have something in your bag of tricks once that happens. If he doesn't absolutely fly by everyone he is dead in the water.

I know we are drafting a "pass rusher" but if we take a guy top 10 he better be able to stop the run a bit. We were horrible against the run last year, that is definately something we should care about. I just don't think Mingo can set the edge or even hold up when people run at him, he might make the tackle... 6-7 yards down field.

Our pass rush has to be the #1 concern... If mingo's the best passrusher there we have to take him. our run defense does need to be improved... But we arent in a position to pass up on mingo b/c he isnt "all-around" enough, we can address run defense other ways.

Again, I think mingo is our 4th choice (or mine) but I think he's worth the #9 pick easily
rampantjet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kid had 4.5 sacks at LSU last year, that doesn't make him such a dominant pass rusher that we can ignore his run D, it makes him a talented kid who has the potential to be a good player but who knows. There is something to be said for production.

I am also amazed by people comparing him to Bruce Irvin. Irvin is bigger, ran a faster 40, put up a very respectable (23) reps on the bench, and was far more productive in college, getting way more sacks in their junior and senior years respectively. With all that in mind everyone went nutty with suprise when Irvin was taken at 15 last year, many people had him pegged as a 2nd or 3rd rounder, yet this kid who is a lesser version of Irvin (in my opinion of course) is being talked about as a top 10 possibly top 5 guy. I just don't get it.

I am not saying the kid has 0 potential, he may very well turn out to be a very good pro, i just think there are safer picks who have just as high of ceilings.
superbowlbound

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rampantjet wrote:
The kid had 4.5 sacks at LSU last year, that doesn't make him such a dominant pass rusher that we can ignore his run D, it makes him a talented kid who has the potential to be a good player but who knows. There is something to be said for production.

I am also amazed by people comparing him to Bruce Irvin. Irvin is bigger, ran a faster 40, put up a very respectable (23) reps on the bench, and was far more productive in college, getting way more sacks in their junior and senior years respectively. With all that in mind everyone went nutty with suprise when Irvin was taken at 15 last year, many people had him pegged as a 2nd or 3rd rounder, yet this kid who is a lesser version of Irvin (in my opinion of course) is being talked about as a top 10 possibly top 5 guy. I just don't get it.

I am not saying the kid has 0 potential, he may very well turn out to be a very good pro, i just think there are safer picks who have just as high of ceilings.

He's my least favorite of the de/olb's (besides moore/werner) but I think jets have to go olb early... If they get another 1st from revis that'll change
rampantjet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it would be nice to get a stud OLB. But I don't think we are as bad a shape compared to last year as we think we are. If we can end up signing someone like Victor Butler to play on one side that will take some pressure off of us. We had possibly the slowest least impressive duo of starting OLBers in the league last year. It isn't like we went from a position of strength to losing great guys. We had some seriously washed up guys out there.

Like i said i would LOVE to get a Dion Jordan or a Jarvis Jones, but i really don't think we are desperate, if they aren't there we can pick up other needs in round 1 and go after a second round OLB, who will still be an improvement to what we had by virtue of having 2 working legs, and not being in need of a walker.
KingOfTheHill84

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Ring Worm Sherm"]Revis hasn't done jack since 09[/quote]Fly-A-Jet 2013 Jeremy Kerley
Rec:5 Yards:70 TDs:0 PR Average:7 ypa
jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plugging in Mingo or any 1st round OLB will probably have close to a 1% effect on the run defense.

It's all about Ellis, Harris, Davis.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
I like Ziggy Ansah so much more. More athletic, strong, helps in run support and only getting better, and has a huge ceiling. I would take him at 9 over Mingo.

Yeah if we are stuck at #9 and most likely Jordan will be gone then I want Ziggy too. I like the big OLB's that can set the edge. Ziggy is 270 and while that hurts him in space he'll be able to play the run and rush the passer.

If we do trade Revis (say 1st/3rd and a future pick or something along those lines) then I'd like to nab Sio Moore in the 3rd (a bit undersized but a big time athlete who can cover). That will give us balance in the LB core with big strong guys who can play the run in Ziggy and Harris and also guys that can run/cover in Moore/Davis.

We haven't had a core like that since Harris, Scott, Pace were all in their primes.

Edit: Don't know a ton about that Victor Butler guy but if he has some athletic ability then we could plug him in there if we don't go Sio Moore and go another direction. The less needs we can sure up prior to the draft the better. I just hope Ziggy is there at #9. That's who I want.

Props to Mack on the sig
jetskid007

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetsfan4life51 wrote:
Plugging in Mingo or any 1st round OLB will probably have close to a 1% effect on the run defense.

It's all about Ellis, Harris, Davis.

If Coples makes a second year leap like Wilkerson did, we should be fine. Ellis really needs to come along but it sounds like we'll have at least one of the two run-stuffers back (that is Pouha or DeVito)
KingOfTheHill84

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If our front seven is

Wilkerson-Ellis-Coples
Barnes-Harris-Davis-Mingo

I'm going to be 1 happy camper, all that speed

[quote="Ring Worm Sherm"]Revis hasn't done jack since 09[/quote]Fly-A-Jet 2013 Jeremy Kerley
Rec:5 Yards:70 TDs:0 PR Average:7 ypa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: