Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Some thoughts on Barkevious Mingo
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skrILL

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Some thoughts on Barkevious Mingo Reply with quote

My evaluation of this kid has changed so many times. He is one of the most polarizing prospects in this draft. First I loved him, then I hated him. It really irks me how he is so one-dimensional. However, after watching his tape a little bit more, it's become apparent that he is very good at that one dimension of football that he plays.

I don't think the NFL currently has a player of his length with the speed and acceleration he has. Mingo's first step is cheetah-quick, I've seen him hit the running back as he's receiving the ball numerous times. He's the type of player that you can move around the formation and shoot him through any gap. He also has a pretty nice spin move and a phenomenal speed rush.

Now as I said, he is a one dimensional player. He is not good at stopping the run. He lets defenders get inside of him and has trouble shedding blocks. Hopefully that can be coached out of him because his physical skill is undeniable.

Think about this: Rex Ryan runs a blitz-heavy scheme and the essence of his defense is that you don't know who's gonna attack you from what gap. What do you think he can do with a player like Mingo, who can get in the backfield before the QB can even finish his drop back? I see a match made in heaven here. I'm almost willing to look past his shortcomings in the run game because he just fits our system so well. He can also be used to cover tight ends and running backs out of the backfield, which has always killed us in the past.

Check out his bowl game against Clemson, he came to play. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDqkUsRgw6s

N E W Y O R K J E T S
sharpy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like his speed. His strength is questionable. This can be fixed. Impressive! Confused
ekill08x

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Ziggy Ansah so much more. More athletic, strong, helps in run support and only getting better, and has a huge ceiling. I would take him at 9 over Mingo.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
barnaby8787

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He screams bust to me personally. Prefer Ansah, Jordan, or Jarvis
RollTide99

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id gladly take Mingo at 9 if Ziggy and Jordan are gone

JMG on the sig
JIMiney_GREEKet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think he is one dimensional but his pass rush is undeniable. Wouldnt take him at 9 though. I dont see him as a top ten. Does anyone know how old ansah is? I heard someone say hell be 26 when the season starts. Cant find his dob anywhere
jetskid007

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Some thoughts on Barkevious Mingo Reply with quote

skrILL wrote:
My evaluation of this kid has changed so many times. He is one of the most polarizing prospects in this draft.

This is all I needed to read, he's a perfect fit for us! Laughing

On a more serious note, I agree with mostly everything you said.

Mingo is somewhat of a one-dimensional player, but so is Bruce Irvin. For those of you who don't know/remember, the Jets had planned to draft him in the first round last year. They had a deal in place to trade down with the Steelers, but after Irvin was taken, they selected Coples in order to secure the pick. He and Irvin were clearly the highest rated players on their board, and they didn't want to risk losing Coples after the Seahawks surprisingly selected Bruce Irvin. Two completely different players, but the desire of drafting an explosive speed rusher was there.

Jets "cursed out" (jokingly) Seahawks for drafting Bruce Irvin

Jason La Canfora wrote:
Interesting note on Bruce Irvin, the 1st 1st rounder to sign. Jets and Steelers had a draft-deal essentially done for NY to drop back ... Jets were gonna take Irvin or Coples in the mid-20s, and Steelers would take DeCastro at 16. Once Seattle took Irvin at 15, Jets pulled out

The Jets and Rex knew Bruce's limitations --- he was lean and wasn't a great run defender --- but that wasn't going to stop him from taking him.

Now lets bring Barkevious Mingo into this discussion. His traits and playing style almost mimic those of Bruce Irvin. Similar height, build, and length. Similar playing style. Similar athleticism (measured by combine drills). Irvin had slightly better 20-yd shuttle and 3-cone drills, with Mingo producing better numbers in the vertical and broad jumps. Regardless how you look at it, both these guys are explosive, and I believe that's what attracted the Jets to Irvin so much. Mingo is just as explosive, and essentially is the 2013 version of Irvin.

As much as I would like to add skill to the offense, if the Jets trade Revis they must take one of these top pass rushers. I think the Jets will be most enamored with Mingo and Jordan for many of the reasons you spoke of, and probably most importantly because featuring a front-7 that includes Coples, Wilkerson, and one of these guys is going to take immense amount of pressure off the secondary. It would also be another huge step towards making this group more athletic, as they drafted Demario Davis last year and will likely try and sign a young LB in free agency in the coming weeks.
Jetsman82

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably prefer Jordan and Ansah over Mingo.

Can't say I'd be upset with Mingo, but I'd prefer the other two.

We just need help so badly at that position, I just want an attempt to fix it.
teamorange

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want Mingo, Jordan, Jarvis or Geno. One of those is bound to fall to 9

Care to offer some sort of insight instead of just being obnoxious? Rolling Eyes
I don't.

xenajets

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mingo is my favourite pass rusher but if either he, Ansah, Jones or Jordan are there at 9 then we go get our pass rusher finally!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
I like Ziggy Ansah so much more. More athletic, strong, helps in run support and only getting better, and has a huge ceiling. I would take him at 9 over Mingo.

More athletic? In what way?

Both guys are athletic freaks, have a huge ceiling and are only getting better. Ansah is stronger and plays the run better; Mingo has better hips and more pass rushing skill.

I'm not sold Ansah can convert to 3-4 OLB. But then again, guys like Woodley can't cover and I'd be fine with him.

Having said that, if the Jets believe he can, then so be it.

I have guys I like more than other guys, but I really couldn't care less who they select as long as they get one of them at #9 and that person can get to the QB.

- Cliff Burton
MP

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarvis Jones for me, then Mingo. He has rare speed, elite size and athleticism. He is good at getting his hands up, can play all over the field. He's already added weight/muscle to that frame since the season ended. I do like Mingo, but I don't want to take such a risky prospect at nine. I wouldn't mind if we traded back up for him or traded back down, but I rather play it safe if we stand pat at nine.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching this tape makes me want to draft Ellington and Hopkins.

Mack on the Sig
skrILL

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NY_Jets87 wrote:
Watching this tape makes me want to draft Ellington and Hopkins.

I thought the same thing.

N E W Y O R K J E T S
D.Revis24

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JIMiney_GREEKet wrote:
I also think he is one dimensional but his pass rush is undeniable. Wouldnt take him at 9 though. I dont see him as a top ten. Does anyone know how old ansah is? I heard someone say hell be 26 when the season starts. Cant find his dob anywhere

That is false, he is 22 right now.

Props to El Ramster on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: