You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Post FFMD '13 Suggestions and Improvement Thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> GM Mock Drafts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CWood21

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Post FFMD '13 Suggestions and Improvement Thread Reply with quote

As FFMD '13 starts to wrap up, we want feedback about how you feel this FFMD was ran. We're looking for suggestions for improvement as well as what you liked in this game.

What is this thread for?
This thread is for suggestions for improvement, tell us what you liked or didn't like about this year's FFMD, and other feedback that helps best serve you guys. Remember, FFMD was created not only as a way to improve traffic here at Football's Future but also to bring together different fanbases in a unique and fun event. Please do not make snide comments or discuss what transpired amongst teams in the past FFMD but rather as productive comments to help better this mock offseason.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the FFMD staff, I appreciate each and every single poster who bared with us even during the few hiccups. You've made this a great experience for myself and others.

Thanks,
CWood21 and Staff

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have been pooping like a unicorn for two days and it is freaky.

bkobow05 wrote:
So this is what DCR feels like on Saturdays...
chisoxguy7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Bears poster, I was disappointed with the activity of our staff. I know there's nothing you can do about this, but maybe there's a better way of narrowing down interested GM candidates.
Save The Hero

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chisoxguy7 wrote:
As a Bears poster, I was disappointed with the activity of our staff. I know there's nothing you can do about this, but maybe there's a better way of narrowing down interested GM candidates.

I think part of the problem was not posting in the warroom and having their discussions via pm. Not sure if there would've been a considerable more participation otherwise, but probably would've gotten people checking in more.

^Stone85 on the sig^
chisoxguy7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save The Hero wrote:
chisoxguy7 wrote:

I think part of the problem was not posting in the warroom and having their discussions via pm. Not sure if there would've been a considerable more participation otherwise, but probably would've gotten people checking in more.

As there is no payout whatsoever for how well you do in FFMD, I don't know why there isn't mandatory transparency. It should be about how efficient you are at improving your roster and managing cap space, not about how secretive you are.
Save The Hero

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chisoxguy7 wrote:
As there is no payout whatsoever for how well you do in FFMD, I don't know why there isn't mandatory transparency. It should be about how efficient you are at improving your roster and managing cap space, not about how secretive you are.

I think there is a rule against just PMing. Not sure, but I agree its about getting everyone involved.

^Stone85 on the sig^
Save The Hero

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for suggestions, I liked the overall rules for this FFMD and the setup of it all, so I don't have much to pick on. If there is anything that I didn't like was adding some rules on the go. Its just hard to keep up with everything when its on the go (things are missed). It would be easier to just give all the rules in the beginning and saving any changes for future years (unless there is a major flaw).

^Stone85 on the sig^
chisoxguy7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save The Hero wrote:
As for suggestions, I liked the overall rules for this FFMD and the setup of it all, so I don't have much to pick on. If there is anything that I didn't like was adding some rules on the go. Its just hard to keep up with everything when its on the go (things are missed). It would be easier to just give all the rules in the beginning and saving any changes for future years (unless there is a major flaw).

To add to this, it would be great to get the rules in a PDF. You can only format so well with the forum software, and sometimes it can strain the eyes.
ColtsFan40

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to start off by thanking everyone who runs the FFMD. I know I put a lot of work in running my team this year so I can only imagine just how much time and effort went into running the whole thing. Thank you!

It seems that every year the Talent Agency is the hot topic. My suggestion is to lower the amount of tiers and increase the amount of players. For example run 2 tiers of 25 players. By doing this teams will be forced to place bids on the players they really want and stop putting offers in on everyone. The way it is currently setup you dont have to be as selective because you know if you miss out on the top player you most likely have 2 to 3 more chances at a really good player. By making teams focus on players they really want keeps the whole thing a little bit more realistic by making team focus the best player and value for their team. This should also cut down on the offers the agents have to sort through (they most likely will not be getting 20 offers on 1 player anymore).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No real feedback either way, but just a huge thank you to those who were so involved in running FFMD. I always fear that the ridiculous moaning and complaining on top of the extreme work load will eventually lead to the destruction of FFMD but every year you guys come through and pull it out at such a high level, that it's really not worth nitpicking over.

Thank you again

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add my thanks too.

My main concern is that the mods didn't follow the rules in a couple of cases. I realize there was a change of leadership during the mock but think the new team should have stayed with the rules. Quashing the RG3 trade late in negotiations was out of line when the rules explicitly say star QBs can be traded.

My suggestions would be:

1 Allow waiver claims. The weaker teams get players on the waiver wire in real life so it should be available in FFMD. Now that we have 90 man rosters it won't come up much but there's no reason to deny someone Titus Young.

2 Don't require teams to have cap space to cover all their bids, just the successful bids. Nobody is keeping track of all the team cap space in real time anyway and no penalties were assessed so let's scrap the rule. Do penalize abandoned bids, ie the Giants bids on 20 linebackers.

3 Eliminate re-signings. This year was better than last but too many players were taken off the market without being tagged.

4 Relatedly, the agent's job should be to get the most money for his client. The talent agency could be scrapped and no agent should ever refuse a contract for his client because it pays too much. That happened in this year's FFMD. With max prices on players Dwayne Bowe goes to New England in FFMD for the same money KC was willing to spend. In real life he of course re-signed with KC for more than they were allowed to offer in FFMD. Paying more is how the non-glamor teams get players.

5 Control restructurings. Since FFMD doesn't pick up each year where the prior one left off, teams tend toward short termism. So only allow restructures to get a team into cap compliance. Beyond that if a team wants space to sign free agents or rookies, let them make cuts. In real life teams that are well under the cap don't use restructures of the sort we allow in FFMD, it's only the teams with cap issues.
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparky151 wrote:
I'll add my thanks too.

My main concern is that the mods didn't follow the rules in a couple of cases. I realize there was a change of leadership during the mock but think the new team should have stayed with the rules. Quashing the RG3 trade late in negotiations was out of line when the rules explicitly say star QBs can be traded.

My suggestions would be:

1 Allow waiver claims. The weaker teams get players on the waiver wire in real life so it should be available in FFMD. Now that we have 90 man rosters it won't come up much but there's no reason to deny someone Titus Young.

2 Don't require teams to have cap space to cover all their bids, just the successful bids. Nobody is keeping track of all the team cap space in real time anyway and no penalties were assessed so let's scrap the rule. Do penalize abandoned bids, ie the Giants bids on 20 linebackers.

3 Eliminate re-signings. This year was better than last but too many players were taken off the market without being tagged.

4 Relatedly, the agent's job should be to get the most money for his client. The talent agency could be scrapped and no agent should ever refuse a contract for his client because it pays too much. That happened in this year's FFMD. With max prices on players Dwayne Bowe goes to New England in FFMD for the same money KC was willing to spend. In real life he of course re-signed with KC for more than they were allowed to offer in FFMD. Paying more is how the non-glamor teams get players.

5 Control restructurings. Since FFMD doesn't pick up each year where the prior one left off, teams tend toward short termism. So only allow restructures to get a team into cap compliance. Beyond that if a team wants space to sign free agents or rookies, let them make cuts. In real life teams that are well under the cap don't use restructures of the sort we allow in FFMD, it's only the teams with cap issues.

I don't see a reason for #5 since the restructuring process was good this year and, ultimately, relatively realistic.

I'll get a post up with suggestions later on.

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II
Runaway Jim

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
No real feedback either way, but just a huge thank you to those who were so involved in running FFMD. I always fear that the ridiculous moaning and complaining on top of the extreme work load will eventually lead to the destruction of FFMD but every year you guys come through and pull it out at such a high level, that it's really not worth nitpicking over.

Thank you again

I agree with this 100%. Great job this year and thanks for putting in the work to make this happen.
JBURGE25

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for making this a great FFMD.

CWood, if I had to give something, I would say more fireworks.

FF Big Brother III Winner Cool
[sig by El ramster]
blueswedeshoes wrote:
JBURGE25 wrote:
I don't hunt
So I gathered.
kcstomp63

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe there is something out there already, but FFMD is go, go, go......and then it abruptly ends. It would be nice if someone could write up a recap for each team and give some sort of grade (without requesting it).

Would take a lot of work, but when Madden comes out in the summer, someone uses the recap to set up the teams how they were assembled in FFMD. Simulate the season and see what happens. That would be exciting to see. Not sure it is a realistic request, but a guy can dream.

Thanks to LOTO for the sig
CWood21

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kcstomp63 wrote:
Maybe there is something out there already, but FFMD is go, go, go......and then it abruptly ends. It would be nice if someone could write up a recap for each team and give some sort of grade (without requesting it).

I've talked with some of the other guys, and I think the consensus was that we're going to go back to the way we used to handle writers.

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have been pooping like a unicorn for two days and it is freaky.

bkobow05 wrote:
So this is what DCR feels like on Saturdays...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> GM Mock Drafts All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: