Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens trade Anquan Boldin to 49ers for 6th rounder
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GaTechRavens

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:
Guys... it's Tandon Doss Time.

Remember all those clutch catches in the playoffs that he almost made.

...Remember that clutch catch in the playoffs that Lee Evans almost made?

I really shouldn't do this...but what the heck!

Remember that clutch catch in the playoffs than Anquan Bolin almost made? It was right before the clutch catch TJ Houshmandzadeh almost made, and some time after the clutch catch Todd Heap did not almost make.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:

...Remember that clutch catch in the playoffs that Lee Evans almost made?

I think you forgot the drops Q had in Pittsburgh a few years back, including a sure TD after the holding call on Webb's PR TD and at least one on the last drive to tie the game.

This is why you look at the body of work and include what you project future production to be when making roster decisions. We didn't part ways with Q in 2010, and he showed up big in the playoffs in '11 and '12, but the FO obviously doesn't believe that he can play that well over a 16 game season going forward, or at least not at his current salary, hence the move.

Its also why we shouldn't throw in the towel on next season over trading one player, no matter what he did last season in the playoffs.
ravens5520

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to pour salt in our wound... TEBOW was traded for a 4th and we let Boldin go for a 6th Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Tebow >>> Boldin?!?!? Rolling Eyes
ravens5520

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are we in such a cap frenzy if Flacco was supposed to only account for 6.8mill?? That's 13 less than we were planning on paying.

What does Boldin's 2 mill really accomplish? He was a leader and if anyone follows Torrey Smith, he's pissed about this move... Confused
spiritoftruth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravens5520 wrote:
Why are we in such a cap frenzy if Flacco was supposed to only account for 6.8mill?? That's 13 less than we were planning on paying.

What does Boldin's 2 mill really accomplish? He was a leader and if anyone follows Torrey Smith, he's pissed about this move... Confused

I wouldn't be so mad about it if this money is going to keep Ellerbe and Reed here. But I'd absolutely hate to see it go towards some other team's FA like a Denario Alexander or someone like that.

NextBigThing wrote:
I am a Patriots fan, I know all about excellence.
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiritoftruth wrote:
ravens5520 wrote:

I wouldn't be so mad about it if this money is going to keep Ellerbe and Reed here. But I'd absolutely hate to see it go towards some other team's FA like a Denario Alexander or someone like that.

I wouldn't hate going after Alexander if our front office liked him enough to do so, but I doubt that's the case. Plus the Chargers can still match any offer, so it'd be stupid to plan such drastic offseason changes around such a risky maneuver. Plus, considering the Chargers set themselves up to receive no compensation if he leaves, I'm sure they'll match. Thirdly, I don't think we could afford him on a big deal past this next year.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexander's injury concerns are too big to invest any significant amount of money in him.
BareYourTeeth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually wouldn't mind going after Danario Alexander. Should be pretty cheap too. Go for it, IMO.

2000WORLD CHAMPIONS2012
gooselovechild

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexander for $3-4M total per year for 2-3 years would be ok. Anything more, move on and get a receiver in the draft.

His knees are bad, and I don't expect him to ever fulfill a contract longer than 3 years.
RavensfanRD

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:

Remember Q grabbing that one game-winning TD in Pittsburgh back in 2010? Or the time our number 1 receiver broke a 1,000 yards and scored about 6 or 7 TD's?

And Tandon Doss will be a beast! A BEAST I TELL YOU!

Ray Lewis wrote:
This it! This it, man! This is it! We goin' for a ring man!

Wise Old Man wrote:
Joe Flacco doesn't believe in miracles; miracles believe in Joe Flacco
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConvenientTruth wrote:
As an economist: "a 6th round pick is better than the nothing Baltimore would have received"

As a fan: "fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuu"

Wait, you should be happy! Unless you have become more of a Ravens fan than a Niners fan Laughing .

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I don't get the pandemonium of some of you regarding Anquan Boldin being traded. He had one HUGE game against Indy in the playoffs followed up by games a "#1 WR" working against nickel corners should have. He played well, made some key plays, but he wasn't anything special IMO. He couldn't get separation so it made his catches look all the more impressive when he caught them.

Losing Boldin doesn't really change the dynamic of what we need from a WR IMO. With Boldin, we still needed a very good outside threat, a guy with enough speed to be used deep, but more of an intermediate threat.. preferably with a strong redzone ability to him. Da'Rick Rogers while a potential character concern fits the bill for the prototype of what we need.

Without Boldin, the need is still the same because we already have plenty of depth to work in the slot: Jacoby Jones, Tandon Doss, David Reed... all three are guys I think can be productive options working in the slot. And in the case of the latter two players, they are value options.

Trading Boldin hurts because I respected him as a player, but I think this is pretty much best case scenario for both parties under the circumstances. We get to open up an extra $6m in cap room by trading Boldin, we also get a 6th rounder... when we would've have gotten nothing once we cut him; Boldin gets to still get paid his $6m... and he's still playing on a playoff contending team.

Is it an adjustment for everyone? Sure. But no one really got screwed here. Would I have liked more than a 6th for Boldin, sure. But he's old, only has one year on his deal, and is getting paid $6m. I'll certainly take a 6th.

I do wonder which 6th rounder we got though... I hope we were somehow able to get the Miami pick from the 49ers and not the 49ers pick.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravens5520 wrote:

Cap frenzy because we still have other guys to sign. If we didn't have guys that we needed to sign, it wouldn't have been a big deal.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravens5520 wrote:
Just to pour salt in our wound... TEBOW was traded for a 4th and we let Boldin go for a 6th Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Tebow >>> Boldin?!?!? Rolling Eyes

Tebow is a former 1st round pick at QB with a winning record in the NFL and a winning pedigree as a football player. He's still young and he has a niche skillset as a physical runner of the ball that sets him apart from many QBs.

Sure he's not adept as a pocket passer, but this is a QB driven league and Tebow was coming off just having upset the Steelers in the playoffs... heck, he was coming off leading the Broncos to the playoffs. Sure his defense did a lot to keep that offense in the games, but the fact remains that Tebow was able to produce in the clutch and win you games.

Tebow also had yearS left on his deal while Boldin has only one year left. It all factors in.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sucks to see Boldin go, for sure. He's a great target for Flacco, and will definitely be missed. But if the FO wants the team to get younger, wants to build long term and do it within the cap, then I can see why they made this move.

For Boldin, I don't see it being a great move. While the 49ers are going to be amongst the favourites to get to the Super Bowl, I'm not sure how much action he'll see. The 49ers have Crabtree and Davis as intermediate targets, and will be looking for a deep threat too. Not sure where Boldin fits.

I think that the Ravens should have shopped around a bit more, though. There are other teams who badly need receivers with reliable hands, and I think they'd have offered more than one 6th, even for a 32 year old on the last year of his contract.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: