Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens trade Anquan Boldin to 49ers for 6th rounder
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensfanRD wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
RavensfanRD wrote:
We'll be fine. Tough loss? Sure, but we'll survive. Tandon Doss will pick up the slack and we'll draft a beast.

#Respecttheprocess

#DidYouWatchTandonDossLastYear?
#HaveYouSeenOzziesTrackRecordForDraftingWRs?

Dud you watch our "Number 1 WR" before his breakout post-season this year? Let's not act all of a sudden that Boldin was the sure-fire go to guy because he's dropped plenty of balls and TD's during his tenure here. If the offensive scheme and OL continues as it has, we can get someone younger and faster to produce what Boldin did for us and perhaps even better.

...He got better because he was actually utitlized to his strengths, not his weaknesses...doesn't take a genius to know that lol
GaTechRavens

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
RavensfanRD wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
RavensfanRD wrote:
We'll be fine. Tough loss? Sure, but we'll survive. Tandon Doss will pick up the slack and we'll draft a beast.

#Respecttheprocess

Dud you watch our "Number 1 WR" before his breakout post-season this year? Let's not act all of a sudden that Boldin was the sure-fire go to guy because he's dropped plenty of balls and TD's during his tenure here. If the offensive scheme and OL continues as it has, we can get someone younger and faster to produce what Boldin did for us and perhaps even better.

...He got better because he was actually utitlized to his strengths, not his weaknesses...doesn't take a genius to know that lol

Will Caldwell not know how to use Boldin's replacement? Outside of Rice, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who didn't improve after Cam's firing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
RavensfanRD wrote:

#Respecttheprocess

Honestly I think if the FO had as little confidence in the other WRs as you have they wouldn't have let Boldin go. As RavensfanRD said Boldin didn't really do anything to warrant such confidence in him until we changed coordinator. I see no reason why Doss shouldn't be able to do something similar. Ofc he doesn't have the amount of physicality that Boldin has but I think he's way faster at this point in his career. I feel like we have some young guys on the roster who can contribute.

I feel like mostly people are just whining because he is an icon and they refuse to acknowledge that the guy is not what we talk him up to be or because they don't have confidence in what we've already got. I remember people whining like this when Mason was let go and when Heap was let go.

^Et billede siger mere end tusind ord!
RavensfanRD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
RavensfanRD wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
RavensfanRD wrote:

#Respecttheprocess

That's my whole point. Now we'll get someone who might be younger and can develop into a better version of Boldin. So I don't see what the big deal is. We have the most important piece in Joe Flacco aboard for this ride. We bout the go '07 Patriots and light up the scoreboard with fast dudes!

Ray Lewis wrote:
This it! This it, man! This is it! We goin' for a ring man!

Wise Old Man wrote:
Joe Flacco doesn't believe in miracles; miracles believe in Joe Flacco
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensfanRD wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
RavensfanRD wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
RavensfanRD wrote:

#Respecttheprocess

That's my whole point. Now we'll get someone who might be younger and can develop into a better version of Boldin. So I don't see what the big deal is. We have the most important piece in Joe Flacco aboard for this ride. We bout the go '07 Patriots and light up the scoreboard with fast dudes!

That's what Al Davis said, too. You're always looking for the next best thing, but there isn't another WR in the NFL that can do what Boldin does OUTSIDE of those top-10 elite guys.
GaTechRavens

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
That's what Al Davis said, too. You're always looking for the next best thing, but there isn't another WR in the NFL that can do what Boldin does OUTSIDE of those top-10 elite guys.

Who says we need a receiver to do exactly what Boldin does? Just find a guy who can get some separation and make plays over the middle and we're golden.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt be surpised to see Q disappear next year with the niners. Its a shame he was one of my favorites for a while but like its been said before we will move on. Not the end of the world by any means.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if Q sticks to his word and once he hears that he's been traded - decides to retire?!

Does Ozzie Newsome go down as the greatest troll/GM ever right away or does he have to wait? Laughing
dcfields

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not happy about the Boldin trade because I feel as if we finally found somebody (Jim Caldwell) that actually uses him the right way. Flacco was finally building a good rapport with Q. And regardless of his age, speed, etc., I find it hard to believe that no one would have given up a 5th for Boldin.

I trust in Ozzie. He has traded picks for veteran players several times in the past with mixed results (Kevin Johnson, Willis McGahee). I get the feeling that Ozzie will try to do this again. The Ravens will probably receive compensatory picks in the 4th (Grubbs), 5th (J.J.), 6th (Redding) and maybe another 6th or 7th (Zbikowski/Nakamura). Compensation picks can't be traded but other draft picks can so the Ravens have options.

First things first. I get the feeling that Ellerbe will sign with the Ravens before 4pm tomorrow. Reed and McKinnie become the priorities thereafter.

Assuming Ellerbe, Reed and McKinnie get signed, the Ravens need to address the NT in the draft and there should be good value at the position at the bottom of the 1st round. I like Kawann Short (Purdue), Johnathan Hankins (Ohio St.) and Jesse Williams (Alabama) a lot. I'd be pleased if the Ravens take any of the 3.

However; if McKinnie goes elsewhere, LT becomes the #1 priority and no OT is worth taking at the bottom of the 1st. If Reed goes elsewhere, FS has to be addressed. But history has shown that quality safeties can be found in the middle rounds. To be honest, replacing Ellerbe could be done with a middle round pick as well. None of the replacement picks would be as good as the players mentioned above but they could be replaced. Unfortunately, it seems as if McKinnie would be the hardest to replace.

Which brings us to a new team need -- Wide Receiver. There could be plenty of quality WRs available in the 2nd round when the Ravens select at 62. Terrence Williams (Baylor), Quinton Patton (La. Tech), Markus Wheaton (Oregon St.), Justin Hunter (Tennessee), Aaron Dobson (Marshall).

As far OT in the 2nd round: Kyle Long (Oregon), Menelik Watson (Florida St.), Dallas Thomas (Tennessee).

The worst part of losing Boldin is the fact that it creates a need.
BareYourTeeth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
What if Q sticks to his word and once he hears that he's been traded - decides to retire?!

Does Ozzie Newsome go down as the greatest troll/GM ever right away or does he have to wait? Laughing

Jim talking to John and Ozzie "Hey Anquan wasn't really serious about retiring if you guys got rid of him was he?"

John: " No not at all"

*Turns to Ozzie*

2000WORLD CHAMPIONS2012
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really buy that Ozzie just 'can't draft WR's.' That was the same sort of reasoning that had people seriously doubting whether we should draft Flacco or anyone else in 2008 because they just assumed that Ozzie couldn't draft a quarterback. I still don't know what they wanted to do instead to find a QB. The only really high picks we ever used on wide receivers were Travis Taylor, Mark Clayton, and Torrey Smith. Taylor was 10 years ago and he sucked. Clayton was a sort of half-bust who probably could have had a good career with us if the quarterback position hadn't been so terrible during most of his time here. He was great in the only year McNair was good for us, and then when Flacco was here he made a decent amount of plays taking on a role that he wasn't suited for (the deep threat). He was the exact same sort of receiver as Mason was, who was older and perfect in that role and Flacco's favorite target, so he never really got a chance to play his game with us. And he was tearing it up in St. Louis with Bradford for a very short span before he shredded his knees.

And then, obviously, we all love Torrey. With a real quarterback and passing game in tow now, I have confidence that we can fill the gaps in the depth chart.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

Who says we need a receiver to do exactly what Boldin does? Just find a guy who can get some separation and make plays over the middle and we're golden.

You mean like Dennis Pitta? I think his development last year helped make the decision to move on a little easie for Ozzie and company. He can run most of the routes that Boldin ran out of the slot.

We might also see some 2 headed backfields with Pierce and Rice too, which would allow Ray more room to roam in the middle of the field.

But it honestly wouldn't surprise me if we fell in love with one of the stud TEs in this draft and might be looking to emulate that aspect of the Patriots offense by pairing Ertz/Eifert with Pitta/Smith/Jones in the passing game.

The point is, its too early to overreact here folks. We don't know how adding extra draft picks will be used to move around in the draft tp get quality rather than quantity, because we are not going to use 11 picks in this draft.

And, like I've said before, its better to move on from a player a year too soon than a year too late. Q might have a year or two of good football left in him, but the sky isn't falling because we didn't retain the services of a 32 year old WR with obvious limitations cropping up in his game. Taking a half step back next year to move 2 steps forward in the years to follow is a net win for the franchise, and demonstrates that the FO has both short and long term goals in mind with every personnel move it makes.
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys... it's Tandon Doss Time.

Remember all those clutch catches in the playoffs that he almost made.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:

...Remember that clutch catch in the playoffs that Lee Evans almost made?
ConvenientTruth

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:

...Remember that clutch catch in the playoffs that Lee Evans almost made?
too soon

Last edited by ConvenientTruth on Fri December 21, 2012 10:37 am; edited 2 times in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: