Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Free Agency
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neutral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mgoblue44 wrote:
Glad we cut Gathier, better to cut our losses while we can. Was not a fan of the long term extension in the first place.

Agreed. Getting rid of him now seems like the best case scenario. The cap hit for cutting him versus keeping him is almost the same. At least this way he's off the books completely for 2014. The worst case would have been hoodwinking the team into giving him a second chance just long enough to be a post-June 1st cut, hanging around on the cap like a turd that won't flush.
Neutral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/27/team-by-team-cap-space-as-of-march-26/

Quote:
Chargers: $7.0 million.

Assuming that Florio's source is accurate, I think that guarantees that Clary gets cut. I'm assuming the draft picks don't count in that figure. The higher picks will cost some money, but each late round pick or UDFA that makes the roster pushes a higher-paid veteran off the top 51 figure, right? So let's say that $2M is needed to sign all of the rookies and another $1M is used as a cushion. That leaves $4M to fill a few more holes and extend someone (Butler?). I don't see how Clary can stay on the roster at his salary. I think that if they really wanted him back that they would have asked him to take a pay cut to remain with the team. Cutting him frees up $2.3M in space that can be used to sign a different OT.

Winston is still a possibility, but I'm not sure that the Chargers can land him. The Eagles and Dolphins are also interested, and have way more cap space than the Chargers. If they got into a bidding war, they could frontload a deal so that we can't match it. Who else do you think Telesco could target? Ryan Harris seems like a possibility. He fits the youth criteria, and has experience starting in a type of zone blocking system.

Also worth noting...

johnydtarheel wrote:
Quote:
Steve Reed ‏@SteveReedAP 2m Details on OT Jordan Gross' new deal. He will make $5.5 million this year and the contract automatically voids out after this season.

Steve Reed ‏@SteveReedAP 2m Gross was set to have a salary cap hit of $11.7 million this year, so this is a fairly significant pay cut. He'll become free agent in '14.

Carolina picks 14th, and could easily leapfrog us in the first round for an OT. They also pick one spot ahead of us in the second, and could draft an OT there instead. LT and RT are both needs for them.
kramxel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

game3525 wrote:
Yeah, that is really pathetic. Your new boss is trying to turn the page and maybe give you another chance and you can't even bother to show up. Rolling Eyes

Exactly!

Nice cut!
lakeroy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neutral wrote:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/27/team-by-team-cap-space-as-of-march-26/

Quote:
Chargers: $7.0 million.

Assuming that Florio's source is accurate, I think that guarantees that Clary gets cut. I'm assuming the draft picks don't count in that figure. The higher picks will cost some money, but each late round pick or UDFA that makes the roster pushes a higher-paid veteran off the top 51 figure, right? So let's say that $2M is needed to sign all of the rookies and another $1M is used as a cushion. That leaves $4M to fill a few more holes and extend someone (Butler?). I don't see how Clary can stay on the roster at his salary. I think that if they really wanted him back that they would have asked him to take a pay cut to remain with the team. Cutting him frees up $2.3M in space that can be used to sign a different OT.

Winston is still a possibility, but I'm not sure that the Chargers can land him. The Eagles and Dolphins are also interested, and have way more cap space than the Chargers. If they got into a bidding war, they could frontload a deal so that we can't match it. Who else do you think Telesco could target? Ryan Harris seems like a possibility. He fits the youth criteria, and has experience starting in a type of zone blocking system.

Also worth noting...

johnydtarheel wrote:
Quote:
Steve Reed ‏@SteveReedAP 2m Details on OT Jordan Gross' new deal. He will make $5.5 million this year and the contract automatically voids out after this season.

Steve Reed ‏@SteveReedAP 2m Gross was set to have a salary cap hit of $11.7 million this year, so this is a fairly significant pay cut. He'll become free agent in '14.

Carolina picks 14th, and could easily leapfrog us in the first round for an OT. They also pick one spot ahead of us in the second, and could draft an OT there instead. LT and RT are both needs for them.
We designated Gaither as a June 1 cut, spreading out the cap hit for the next 2 years. It will save about 4.5 mil for this year, basically covering the amount it will take to sign our draft picks. I like the move.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tell you the Chargers.com forum is hilarious.

Posters are getting so worried because Telesco isn't bringing back bad/declining players who were apart of a 7-9 team.

Draft day is going to be hoot for the "holes and needs" section of the fanbase.
Neutral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lakeroy wrote:
We designated Gaither as a June 1 cut, spreading out the cap hit for the next 2 years. It will save about 4.5 mil for this year, basically covering the amount it will take to sign our draft picks. I like the move.

Eh... if it helps the team extend Butler (and maybe whoever among Alexander, Thomas, and Rinehart impress this season) now instead of waiting until next year, I'm all for it. I'm just not a fan of borrowing against next year to better fill out the roster this year. Also, it won't take 4.5 mil to sign all of the draft picks. You're thinking of the rookie pool, which is a different figure than the salary cap.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: