Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

LB James Harrison a future Saint?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
sammymvpknight


Joined: 22 Feb 2005
Posts: 3399
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the Saints signed Galette...I don't think that Harrison will be in the plans unless he comes cheap (which he likely would not). I think that the primary focus will come in finding a starting LT (likely Bushrod), starting FS (hopefully Reed), and starting SOLB...and then filling the roster out with depth.

Considering that I don't think that there will be a starter quality guy at LT and FS at #15...I think those two position absolutely have to be addressed in free agency. SOLB can be had at #15...but so can bringing in a DE (and allowing Hicks to alternate between NT and DE). But if that was to occur...a SOLB would have to be address in free agency or later in the draft.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
krewebrees


Joined: 10 Feb 2013
Posts: 359
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammymvpknight wrote:
There is a reason why Harper was given the money in the first place. He was actually a really good in the box SS under GW. I am pretty neutral on Harper...I think that I am pretty objective. I think that he could have some worth under Ryan. I think that everyone knew that Harper was going to struggle in Spags scheme because he would be playing off the line and back in deep coverage. Ryan is very similar to GW in that he plays with what he's got. Ryan will probably play quit a bit of his dad's 4-6 defense to maximize production from the players we have.

But to run a 4-6 the Saints would need to have two necessary additions:
1) It is essential to have a FS capable of playing center field. Jenkins is clearly not that guy. I expect the Saints to go after a legit FS in the offseason. Because the SS will primarily be playing underneath zones, a FS has to be able to cover the entire back half of the secondary. I honestly don't think that there is a single guy in the draft capable of playing center field...this position will be address in free agency, unless the Saints have lots of faith in IAQ (which I don't at this time).

2) The NT typically play 0-Tech in a 4-6. That allows both DEs to have one-gap responsbilities (B Gaps). Then OLBs fill the C gaps. I think that Hicks in the only guy on the Saints defense capable of playing 0-Tech...but I think that he would be a better fit in a 1-gap role. But if the Saints are confident that Hicks can man 0-tech...then they need to find themselves a LDE. There are tons of guys in the draft capable of starting at 3-tech. It gets much more difficult to find a 0-gap NT. I think that Star and Jesse Williams can play the position...but outside of that, I think that most of the other DTs are better fit at 1-tech/3-tech.

I have no interest in bringing Smith and Vilma back unless it is at veteran minimums. Smith would be a decent back up for Cam Jordan at RDE. I think that Hawthorne and Wilson would be better fits at WILB than Vilma. I just don't see where Vilma is going to fit.


I completely agree on the first paragraph. On the last three you lost me.

The FS in the 46 you've got right. Jenkins doesn't fit it. But I can't think of a better person to play it than IAQ. I've been saying he needs to play how Sharper did, center field sit back make his reads and use his speed. He's faster than Sharper was, or as you mentioned Reed, and his reads are now right there with them. The only thing he needs to work on his hands. If he can fix that, he is the perfect 46 FS.

As for the NT you're front is a little off. The NT does play 0-tech, but in a true 46 as his dad ran, the DTs play 2-techs. There is no gap asignments all three guys go straight into the OL right in front of them and blow them up. The only technical DE plays 5-tech on the left. Which interior lineman plays where is almost irrelevant because they all do the same thing. I would put the largest guy over the center though, and that is Hicks. That leaves Bunk, Johnson, who is underrated, and possibly Jordan. For 5-tech there's Jordan, I think he is a better fit here, and Galette, yes back to DE one on one with the OT he'll go ham. There is only 3 LBs in the 46 Lofton, Wilson and (pick one) if Galette isn't on the line he should be here, Cassillas if we resign him, Hawthorne, or Vilma if he isn't cut. I think we are solid in the 46.

Smith's only role in the 46 would be 5-tech DE. We have Cam and Galette. If Cam isn't DE I would rather put Galette there and have any of those previously mentioned LBs on the field. The LBs play all over. Vilma can find a spot similar to what he played in the 4-3. I'm not saying that Vilma should start or even be on the team, but I would much rather have him than Smith.
_________________

Adopt a Saint 2014
Jimmy Graham:
Glenn Foster:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
QB Connoisseur


Joined: 20 Nov 2010
Posts: 3432
Location: Tiger Stadium
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can barely afford the players we have, and Harrison just got cut for cap issues... He's said that he'd be happy playing for about 8 teams already; it's just someething you say when you're a free agent.

Not buying this at all.
_________________
Adopt-A-Saint 2013: Akiem Hicks | Khiry Robinson
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spartica4Real


Joined: 26 Jan 2013
Posts: 3511
Location: Louisiana
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QB Connoisseur wrote:
We can barely afford the players we have, and Harrison just got cut for cap issues... He's said that he'd be happy playing for about 8 teams already; it's just someething you say when you're a free agent.

Not buying this at all.


Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis.
_________________


PSN: The_SlayerSaint (PS4)

Adopt a Saint 2014:
Cam Jordan:
Joseph Morgan:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Harper41


Joined: 29 Aug 2009
Posts: 21284
Location: Roll Tide Country
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll have about 15M in cap space if we cut Smith, Vilma and Harper. We definitely have enough money to make a few splashes.
_________________

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
krewebrees


Joined: 10 Feb 2013
Posts: 359
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
We'll have about 15M in cap space if we cut Smith, Vilma and Harper. We definitely have enough money to make a few splashes.


Not really. We're 6 million over the cap. Current players cap hits 3.7 million under. Ivory's and DeLa's tenders count towards the cap 2 million a piece. Dead weight is about 3.7 million. And then there's Galette. His contract hasn't been signed yet and can't, but we did tender him at 2 million that counts. I'm expecting him to sign 10 million 3 years, but Loomis will probably make the cap hit close to 2 million. That puts us 6 million over.

Smith and Vilma would save us 13.4 million. It not looking like Harper will get cut. That only gives us 7.4 million. That's about what you want for the draft. There isn't even room in there to resign Bushrod or Cassillas, who I think is more valuable than Bushrod. I'm expecting Loomis to make another cut, Strief and/or Thomas, just to resign our guys. I'm not expecting any big name signings.

If Harper is cut that would save us 5.25 million that's Bushrod alone. We either have to let Cassillas walk cut Thomas or Strief. Even if we do all three we only have 4 million to through at one guy. But that means we cut five guys and only resign Bushrod. Not likely.
_________________

Adopt a Saint 2014
Jimmy Graham:
Glenn Foster:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Harper41


Joined: 29 Aug 2009
Posts: 21284
Location: Roll Tide Country
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? As of right now, we are $2.9M over the cap according to ESPN. We'd save $9M from cutting Will Smith, $4.8M from cutting Jonathan Vilma and $5.25M from cutting Roman Harper. That doesn't include the fact that Drew Brees said he'd be willing to restructure to give the Saints cap flexibility.
_________________

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
krewebrees


Joined: 10 Feb 2013
Posts: 359
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
What? As of right now, we are $2.9M over the cap according to ESPN. We'd save $9M from cutting Will Smith, $4.8M from cutting Jonathan Vilma and $5.25M from cutting Roman Harper. That doesn't include the fact that Drew Brees said he'd be willing to restructure to give the Saints cap flexibility.
.

Weird. espn.go.com says we're 6.6 million over they aren't factoring in the .9 million bonus, not sure what it is exactly but we only have to be under 123.9. If I don't include that I have us 6.9 million over. OK so I rounded a couple times.

Not sure why it's off unless something just happened.
_________________

Adopt a Saint 2014
Jimmy Graham:
Glenn Foster:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Harper41


Joined: 29 Aug 2009
Posts: 21284
Location: Roll Tide Country
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krewebrees wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
What? As of right now, we are $2.9M over the cap according to ESPN. We'd save $9M from cutting Will Smith, $4.8M from cutting Jonathan Vilma and $5.25M from cutting Roman Harper. That doesn't include the fact that Drew Brees said he'd be willing to restructure to give the Saints cap flexibility.
.

Weird. espn.go.com says we're 6.6 million over they aren't factoring in the .9 million bonus, not sure what it is exactly but we only have to be under 123.9. If I don't include that I have us 6.9 million over. OK so I rounded a couple times.

Not sure why it's off unless something just happened.
I was going off this, updated on March 4th. http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/45621/updated-nfc-south-cap-space
_________________

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Porter22


Joined: 13 Feb 2010
Posts: 2497
Location: Weyhe, Germany
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw a Tweet that we're one of three Teams in play for Paul Kruger!
There are so many different cap numbers out there, but right now i believe it's just a small amount we're over the cap! Nearly $7 million is to much, just look at all the restructures and cuts! We saved $13 million by restructuring all those players and the Cuts of Thomas and Patrick saved another 2 million. After the Season we were over the cap by around $17 million so we should be fine. The tenders for DLP, Ivory and Galette weren't signed yet, so they don't count against the cap.
Oh and we won't be a team seriously interested in kruger, if we don't have any cap room!
_________________
Adopt a Saint 2014:

QB Drew Brees -

DB Patrick Robinson -
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sammymvpknight


Joined: 22 Feb 2005
Posts: 3399
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porter22 wrote:
Just saw a Tweet that we're one of three Teams in play for Paul Kruger!
There are so many different cap numbers out there, but right now i believe it's just a small amount we're over the cap! Nearly $7 million is to much, just look at all the restructures and cuts! We saved $13 million by restructuring all those players and the Cuts of Thomas and Patrick saved another 2 million. After the Season we were over the cap by around $17 million so we should be fine. The tenders for DLP, Ivory and Galette weren't signed yet, so they don't count against the cap.
Oh and we won't be a team seriously interested in kruger, if we don't have any cap room!


I like Kruger...don't get me wrong...but with as tight as we are...I think that Ed Reed would be a more valuable investment. There is lots of SOLB help in the draft. There is not a FS capable of being a great centerfielder in the draft.

I am all for signing a guy like Franklin or Hampton as a 1 to 2 year stop gap at NT. Then bring in a low cost guy like Victor Butler to compete at OLB. Resign Bushrod. Sign Ed Reed. Then fill out the roster with low cost guys who fit the scheme. Sign draft picks. And then if there is any money left on the cap...resign Jimmy Graham. His value will never be lower in my opinion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group