Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

High Risk High Reward Mock Draft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GEE MEN

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: High Risk High Reward Mock Draft Reply with quote

Our season started with so much promise as defending Super Bowl champs and finished with us looking at an aged (injured) slow team. This is the year to catch up to what appears to be a Madden-speed type of offense sweeping our division and the league. It's simple: speed kills. Unless we address it this offseason, we will be at the bottom of the division. So this mock draft/FA signing mock is a big picture look of how I think that the Giants should address the glaring problems and it starts with defense; with a focus on stopping the run. The strength of any defense is up the middle. Mara will pull out the check book this offseason as he did when signing Boley, Canty, Rocky (and CC Brown - yuck) spending close to 90MM that offseason.

Don't be fooled by the "cap" situation. The Giants supposedly had cap issues a couple of years ago and still spent on Boley, Canty and Rocky because they are creative and thus far are under the cap. Cruz will get done. AND the Giants will be very active in FA. I think the 3 big names that we cut will be replaced by 3 names + 1. And the first of 3 +1 and prize of FA that Giants bag is (gees I hope these picture show):

Dannelle Ellerbe. 5 years 33MM with (17MM guaranteed). The Ravens will make him a priority with Lewis retiring but I think that the Giants will swoop in and make the hard push and Reese bags him. Ellerbe is perfect. very Good tackler, sheds blocks, good in coverage, has speed and is a smart LB and is a fiery guy. The last time that the Giants "invested" in the LB position was AP who did very well for us until age caught up to him. Ellerbe would be the anchor of the defense and could take over the leadership role with Tuck going MIA when is depression and injuries set in.

The second FA:

Alan Branch. Now Branch isn't going to get the 6 year 42MM (17.25MM guaranteed) deal that Canty got but he comes close 5 year 38MM ( 18MM guaranteed). A Mountain of a man. Good 3 technique that can both stop the run and collapse the pocket on the interior. The future of the Giants defense up the middle will be bright.

The third FA:

Desmond Bryant. 4 years 22MM (11MM guaranteed) Ok, so maybe not the most flattering picture but the young DT/DE is the typical Giant-type athlete. Long, nimble, strong and versatile and can ultimately take over for Tuck after he is let go after this season. He can play that Tuck role well both on the inside and outside. Harvard educated (although the pic may say otherwise) and would be the future along with JPP, Linval, Branch, and Bryant. Bryant may not mind not "starting" if he knows how heavy a rotation the Giants use to keep players fresh and knowing this is likely Tuck's last year.

The "CC Brown" "Martellus Bennett" under the radar signing in FA (not talent-wise) of this year would be:Eric Winston, RT 2 year 5.5MM contract (4MM guaranteed). Winston reminds me of Shaun O'Hara when the Giants signed him in FA years ago. Winston is a blue collar guy who puts team first. He's 29 and with the glut of linemen in the draft and in FA Winston could come cheap and address a serious need. He's durable and has blocked for 3 1,000 yard RBs.

With these signings, along with Canty and Boley, say goodbye to Rocky, Austin, Herzy and maybe Tyler Sash. Hopefully Cordle gets cut too. Dude must have single-handidly lost us the Redskins game with like 25 penalties on special teams!!!!. Kuhn, Ojomo and Tracey survive.

The FA dollars would be in line with the total contracts that the Giants spent in their last active offseason. With the middle solidified in FA, the Giants could be a bit riskier on upside in the draft.

We all know that the Giants are a very conservative organization (distinguishes us from the Jets) and usually stay away from the "character" guys but Reese has taken some chances (Bradshaw, Manningham, Holsey) and thus far has not been burned (no one wants to draft the next Lawrence Phillips) so I figured this year I will play Jerry Reese and think outside the box on the mock draft.

With the first pick, the NY Football Giants select:
1) Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia. But Gee Men, you just signed Ellerbe to a huge contract. Why Ogletree? Simple, DKEBONES sold me on Ogletree lol. No but seriously, Ogletree will be our starting SAM who will replace Kiwi which will allow Kiwi to replace Osi and end the Kiwi LB experiment. With 'Tree, we get more speed on the field, a good tackler and cover guy. And together with Ellerbe, and J'Quan starting at the WILL that's a nice, young, athletic, speedy LB corp that can both chase down the speedy QBs that run the gimmicky offense but also three dudes that can cover the talented TEs and slot receivers so no mismatches. With this selection, the front 7 would be solid. A few mocks have this kid slipping even out of the first round. kid Looks like the truth...

2) With the second pick, the Giants select:
Tank Carradine. Some may think this pick is too high for an injured player. But there is no denying the kid's talent. With Tuck likely to move on, Kiwi getting long in the tooth the Giants can "red shirt" this kid and he can continue in the stable of incredible DEs. The Cowboys did the same thing with Bruce Carter (I really wanted the Giants to draft him) and so I think it would be perfect to let the Tank recover a year and learn from the best DEs in the game (with Strahan coming in to mentor)

3) With the third pick, the Giants select:
Tyrann Mathieu. Honey Badger slips for obvious reasons "off the field" issues, undersized, and only managed 4 reps on the bench at the combine. Many teams have this kid off of their board. Others have him drafted much later. But for the Giants he would be both a special teams demon and be the slot corner which will allow T2 (if he stays healthy) to move to Safety especially with the advent of the spread offense this playmaker would be a perfect slot corner. It also would free up Rolle from having to play the slot. High risk but could be worth the reward. Vontaze Burfict was a troubled athlete but made it through the season and played very well. With Coughlin discipline and vets on the team, it would be a good gamble. Webster may not be around long especially if he has another down year.

4) with the fourth pick, the Giants select:
Marquess Wilson, WR, Eastern Washington State (he quit after new coach "abused" him). Arguably a first round talent, from a physical standpoint, Marquess is exactly what the Giants look for in receivers. He is 6'3 193 lbs. Catches about everything and is quicker than fast with the ability to kick it to another gear. Why WR you ask? Barden will be gone and outside of one game was a bust. Jernigan is likely the new Sinorice Moss and with Nicks constantly hurt the Giants need firepower withonly Randle and Cruz (hopefully resigning). We are a Nicks injury away from having an inept offense. I am not sure we truly appreciate how thin we are at WR. This kid can stretch the field. An honestly, he reminds me of Jerry Rice. I do remember Rice from his early years-- very similar.

5) With the fifth pick, the Giants select:
Jawann Jamison, RB, Rutgers. "The next Ray Rice" graces us in Giants Blue and stays home. The kid is still young but he is a versatile back who can run between the tackles and gains yardage after contact, can run outside and can catch out of the backfield. He could contribute on special teams and could be in the mix with Da'rell Scott for the last RB position.

6) With the sixth pick, the Giants select: David Baas, DE Missouri Western. Baas dominated Division II. We know how the Giants love overachievers and this kid has enough raw talent to be groomed. He reminds people of Aldon Smith. Good value in the 6th.

7) With the seventh pick, the Giants select:
Manase Foketi, OG/OT, West Texas A&M. Physical and athletic who thrives in the running game. Has long arms and engages Dlinemen as "rag dolls" using their leverage and his strength to push them around. An intimidator with a mean streak. Has played LT for his collegiate career but doesn't possess the quickest feet so projects as a guard. With Snee falling off (injured) it's time to groom someone to help the running game. Versatile enough to kick outside with molding.

A bit unorthodox perhaps and even un-Giants like with many risky picks but I think that that revamped D would have some speed and playmakers. For a team with such playmakers on offense, wouldn't it be nice to have the same on D? ... have at it gents.

Looks like all the pics didn't make it on Mad Such a technological dinosaur Embarassed

Desperado82 wrote:
I will never defend Romo again. I'm done. We may only have a shot at the playoffs or what have you because of him, but he will NEVER put us over the hump.
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the draft. Very good job there. Quality players throughout. I would be thrilled if they could grab Tank in the 2nd, but I'm almost positive someone is going to take a gamble on him in the 1st. He was the best pass rusher of all these guys eligible before the ACL injury. He is supposedly a month ahead of schedule and will be able to do private workouts for teams in April. This guy is a freak. I would take him 19 if I was 100% sure he was recovered. I like Mathieu, just not in the third. Anywhere after I would be okay with. I only say this because Mathieu will probably be limited to the nickel role and may translate to safety in the NFL. Love the Wilson pick. I thought he shined catching the ball at the combine. He will probably go later than the 4th though. It would be quite interesting to have another David Baas on the team too...

But I have some serious problems with your signings. First of all, there is no way the Giants can afford those guys. I know they can move numbers around in order to make it work this year, but it would seriously hinder this team in the future. Signing those guys would basically kill any possibilities of signing Nicks next offseason and JPP the one after. Who is more important? Ellerbe/Branch/Bryant or Cruz/Nicks/JPP? That's a rhetorical question, we all know the answer to that. I liked your creativity and the positions you went after, but no thanks on dishing out that kind of money for solid but non-impactful players at positions that aren't a premium on this team.
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW to make the pictures work: On the first bad link, just delete everything in the URL after the .jpg ... that usually does the trick 9/10 times. As for the second link, you linked the actual google search, not the image itself. Just clicking on one of those images and copying the permanent link should do the trick.
GEE MEN

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HakeemTheDream wrote:
I like the draft. Very good job there. Quality players throughout. I would be thrilled if they could grab Tank in the 2nd, but I'm almost positive someone is going to take a gamble on him in the 1st. He was the best pass rusher of all these guys eligible before the ACL injury. He is supposedly a month ahead of schedule and will be able to do private workouts for teams in April. This guy is a freak. I would take him 19 if I was 100% sure he was recovered. I like Mathieu, just not in the third. Anywhere after I would be okay with. I only say this because Mathieu will probably be limited to the nickel role and may translate to safety in the NFL. Love the Wilson pick. I thought he shined catching the ball at the combine. He will probably go later than the 4th though. It would be quite interesting to have another David Baas on the team too...

But I have some serious problems with your signings. First of all, there is no way the Giants can afford those guys. I know they can move numbers around in order to make it work this year, but it would seriously hinder this team in the future. Signing those guys would basically kill any possibilities of signing Nicks next offseason and JPP the one after. Who is more important? Ellerbe/Branch/Bryant or Cruz/Nicks/JPP? That's a rhetorical question, we all know the answer to that. I liked your creativity and the positions you went after, but no thanks on dishing out that kind of money for solid but non-impactful players at positions that aren't a premium on this team.

Thanks. appreciate the feedback. In terms of the FA signings, none are superstars and with the cap I think there still is huge opportunity to move money around. Eli, Snee, Rolle, Tuck and Diehl count significantly in 2013 and I suspect that the team isn't done with restructuing/cuts. Plus, NFL contracts are funny money anyways. It's really all about the singing bonus, guaranteed money and backloading the contract in later years to either cut or restructure. After such a disappointing end I have a gut feeling Mara will pull out the checkbook. The Giants were soft up the middle and I think that the will address it in FA.

Desperado82 wrote:
I will never defend Romo again. I'm done. We may only have a shot at the playoffs or what have you because of him, but he will NEVER put us over the hump.
NYGiantsman10

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This offseason would make our team absolutely stacked. Id like to see a corner within the first two picks but thats nitpicking. Not big on character guys are ya GEE MEN? Wink
GEE MEN

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYGiantsman10 wrote:
This offseason would make our team absolutely stacked. Id like to see a corner within the first two picks but thats nitpicking. Not big on character guys are ya GEE MEN? Wink

I am not big on character guys much either. I feel that this is a very important draft for the team to try to literally catch up to the Skins and even the Eagles speed and playmaking ability. Unfortunately, or fortunately, the playmakers in this draft all seem to be character guys so each of the should be available when the Giants pick. It is unlikely that the Giants take such enormous risk at each of these positions. Remember, we also drafted LT and he was known to have "character" (drug/alcohol) issues when in college he used to go to bars and destroy the places. And we took him second overall Surprised Fortunately for him there was no internet.

Desperado82 wrote:
mattbags2313

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOVEEEEEEEEEE. especially Alan Branch, I've watched games where he literally dominates an Oline hes awesome.
dkebones

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: High Risk High Reward Mock Draft Reply with quote

GEE MEN wrote:

1) Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia. But Gee Men, you just signed Ellerbe to a huge contract. Why Ogletree? Simple, DKEBONES sold me on Ogletree lol. No but seriously, Ogletree will be our starting SAM who will replace Kiwi which will allow Kiwi to replace Osi and end the Kiwi LB experiment. With 'Tree, we get more speed on the field, a good tackler and cover guy. And together with Ellerbe, and J'Quan starting at the WILL that's a nice, young, athletic, speedy LB corp that can both chase down the speedy QBs that run the gimmicky offense but also three dudes that can cover the talented TEs and slot receivers so no mismatches. With this selection, the front 7 would be solid. A few mocks have this kid slipping even out of the first round. kid Looks like the truth...

whoa.... me influence one of the most revered and respected posters in this forum? #humbled Cool
GmenSeattle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: High Risk High Reward Mock Draft Reply with quote

GEE MEN wrote:
Looks like all the pics didn't make it on Mad Such a technological dinosaur Embarassed

FIFY

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: High Risk High Reward Mock Draft Reply with quote

GmenSeattle wrote:
GEE MEN wrote:

FIFY

Thanks M.O.D., I needed a save.

Desperado82 wrote:
GEE MEN

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: High Risk High Reward Mock Draft Reply with quote

dkebones wrote:
GEE MEN wrote:

whoa.... me influence one of the most revered and respected posters in this forum? #humbled Cool

I can only be as good as the dudes around me. Our forum is not the biggest but the best on FF.

Desperado82 wrote:
GiantAl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That picture of Bryant is hilarious Laughing
bballbkd1001

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GiantAl wrote:
That picture of Bryant is hilarious Laughing

I love it!

^^^ Huge props Rase on the Sig!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: