Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

McKenzie's job so far, is he doing the right thing?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 35, 36, 37  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
big_palooka

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reggiesucks wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Name a team that spent big in FA and had it pay off?

I have to laugh at the Packers comments. When Flynn tore up Detroit/NE it was because of the talent around him. But without Rodgers, the Pack are a bottom feeder? Please explain that to me.

This is a QB league. You have a great one, you are a consistent winner. But that does not take away from the talent on the team.

The Pack draft well, pay their star players and build in the draft. They find bargain FAs. The Giants and Ravens operate in the same manor. Seems to be working there as well.

Buying FA's never works. 1 impact player can help a team. But Miami this season, won't win a Superbowl with all that talent they bought and their GM will be fired this offseason.

Washington, Oakland and Philly have all tried to 'reload' and cap strap their teams. Did nothing for their franchises.

Matt Flynn had 2 good games. That's what it was, nothing more nothing less. I don't know how much is attributed to the talent around him and how much was him. I guess we will see this season. I supspect it was some of both plus the fact that Det and NE play terrible D.

Bottom feeders were your words. Middle of the pack was the words used by me and the guy I agreed with. The Packs D is terrible and has been for a while. The also have zero running game. They also have the best QB in the league which mask their flaws.

There is no 1 was to get players. Ozzie Newsome has stated this many times. Draft, FA, Trade, Waiver Wire, However... Get them however you can at your price. It's not magic.

My mistake. Had I noticed your username, I would have simply ignored you babble. Carry on.

Ozzie Newsome said 'at your price'. That's Thompson's philosophy too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you have to peep who you are talking to sometimes before you respond. LOL!!! Laughing

Raider X hooked me with the sig
Reggiesucks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Reggiesucks wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

I have to laugh at the Packers comments. When Flynn tore up Detroit/NE it was because of the talent around him. But without Rodgers, the Pack are a bottom feeder? Please explain that to me.

This is a QB league. You have a great one, you are a consistent winner. But that does not take away from the talent on the team.

The Pack draft well, pay their star players and build in the draft. They find bargain FAs. The Giants and Ravens operate in the same manor. Seems to be working there as well.

Buying FA's never works. 1 impact player can help a team. But Miami this season, won't win a Superbowl with all that talent they bought and their GM will be fired this offseason.

Washington, Oakland and Philly have all tried to 'reload' and cap strap their teams. Did nothing for their franchises.

Matt Flynn had 2 good games. That's what it was, nothing more nothing less. I don't know how much is attributed to the talent around him and how much was him. I guess we will see this season. I supspect it was some of both plus the fact that Det and NE play terrible D.

Bottom feeders were your words. Middle of the pack was the words used by me and the guy I agreed with. The Packs D is terrible and has been for a while. The also have zero running game. They also have the best QB in the league which mask their flaws.

There is no 1 was to get players. Ozzie Newsome has stated this many times. Draft, FA, Trade, Waiver Wire, However... Get them however you can at your price. It's not magic.

My mistake. Had I noticed your username, I would have simply ignored you babble. Carry on.

Your wife and kids babble, I'm a grown man with a wife and kids. I'm stating my opinion as are you. My screen name is just that "Mine", and if you didn't have enough common sense to notice that before you so thoughtfully took the time to respond then your obviously not too smart!

Maybe you geniuses think RM is doing a "great job" slashing payroll but so far I'm not impressed. GM's don't get paid to slash payroll, they get paid to field good teams and win games. So far he's made several horrible decisions and made a 8-8 team into a 4-12 team. So I'm going to keep the screen name until I see some actual decent football being played. Excuse me if I don't get excited about slashing payroll!

As for Green Bay, you obviously think their roster is "Great", I think it's average. We have a difference of opinion, end of story! I can name 10 teams that have better talent top to bottom IMO.

SF, BAL, SEA, NE, HOU, ATL, DEN, NYG, CHI, PIT, CIN (11)
Raiiiiidersssss

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reggiesucks wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Reggiesucks wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

Your wife and kids babble, I'm a grown man with a wife and kids. I'm stating my opinion as are you. My screen name is just that "Mine", and if you didn't have enough common sense to notice that before you so thoughtfully took the time to respond then your obviously not too smart!

Maybe you geniuses think RM is doing a "great job" slashing payroll but so far I'm not impressed. GM's don't get paid to slash payroll, they get paid to field good teams and win games. So far he's made several horrible decisions and made a 8-8 team into a 4-12 team. So I'm going to keep the screen name until I see some actual decent football being played. Excuse me if I don't get excited about slashing payroll!

As for Green Bay, you obviously think their roster is "Great", I think it's average. We have a difference of opinion, end of story! I can name 10 teams that have better talent top to bottom IMO.

You understand how dead money works?
nbaker1933

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reggiesucks wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Reggiesucks wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

12 would still be above average.

I find it incredibly impressive that flynn was able to do what he did with a team that you deem average.

Kudos to him.

are you familiar with how an NFL salary works? You understand that what Reggie Inherited was a hot mess. Sey/TKO/Huff/DHB were all getting paid way too much. He took us from a team that was going to fail, and have no way to improve to a team that is still not great talent wise, but we are going to have breathing room for the future.
nickdawg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reggiesucks wrote:

Let me ask you:

What would YOU have done differently?

(keeping in mind the fact we were over the cap and were out a handful of draft picks)
Reggiesucks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickdawg wrote:
Reggiesucks wrote:

Let me ask you:

(keeping in mind the fact we were over the cap and were out a handful of draft picks)

I understand the CAP situation and I don't have a problem with most of the cuts. I would have tried to restructure Huff and DHB but it is what it is.

My biggest issues so far:

Head Coach - In a league that's now more about scoring it wasn't smart to get rid of a coach that has turned the offense around and put in a Defensive Coach with "NO" HC experience. That being said, I will reserve judgement on DA for now. The initial showing hasn't been good but it's early.

OC - Worst move since the "Bed & Breakfast" OC. I knew the season was screwed when he was hired.

DC - We hire a guy from college with no NFL experience. That being said, how does the Defense get worse when the Head Coaches specialty is supposed to be "DEFENSE"??? I can understand giving your HC some freedom but he has "NO" HC experience so RM should have stepped in a helped him make better choices.

Talent Evaluation - He brings in 2 corners and both were gigantic flops! Breisel was one of his biggest FA aquisitions and he's already been forced to restructure and will probably be out the door after this season. Wheeler (FA) was solid and Burress (Draft) was solid. So far the results are trending on the below average side. I'm hoping he hits a homerun with this years draft.

RM says it's a 2 year deal, well year 2 is here so let's see what he does. I personally wasn't impressed with year 1 but I'm still optimistic. If things get better after this season I will retire the screen name. LOL I just want to see the team play good football and look well coached. That wasn't the case last year. They looked unprepared schematically and from a game management perspective. Going from 8-8 to 4-12 is definitely no reason for me to get excited. Cap Room and Picks don't translate to wins. It's what you do with them.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickdawg wrote:
Reggiesucks wrote:

Let me ask you:

I would also like to hear this answer.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both corners brought in on vet. minimum were gigantic flops? For a vet. minimum player to be a gigantic flop he has to drunken crash his car onto the practise field and injure your starting QB.

Allen said he would play the hot hand, in what world is McFadden's hand hot?

He touched Dennis Allen's seat before the game.
Darbsk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reggiesucks wrote:

I understand the CAP situation and I don't have a problem with most of the cuts. I would have tried to restructure Huff and DHB but it is what it is.

My biggest issues so far:

Head Coach - In a league that's now more about scoring it wasn't smart to get rid of a coach that has turned the offense around and put in a Defensive Coach with "NO" HC experience. That being said, I will reserve judgement on DA for now. The initial showing hasn't been good but it's early.

I don't think we were in an attractive enough position to bring in a 'name' coach and it seems like McKenzie thought he couldn't work with Hue Jackson, to be frank I'm not sold on Jackson but time will tell of course whether he will get another shot at HC. I can totally understand people who question DA and they have a right to, he is inexperienced and has made some big mistakes but I'm prepared top give him 3 years unless something horrible happens this year!

Reggiesucks wrote:
OC - Worst move since the "Bed & Breakfast" OC. I knew the season was screwed when he was hired.

Totally agree on this point, even if Knapp was entirely DA's choice McKenzie must have ratified the signing due to his inexperience. I think that the cupboard was pretty bare by the time we got around to OC but there must have been someone better out there or Al Saunders (though he may not have wanted the job).

Reggiesucks wrote:
DC - We hire a guy from college with no NFL experience. That being said, how does the Defense get worse when the Head Coaches specialty is supposed to be "DEFENSE"??? I can understand giving your HC some freedom but he has "NO" HC experience so RM should have stepped in a helped him make better choices.

Disagree here, I think Tarver is exactly the type of fresh, enthusiastic mind we need after using the same tired old system for so long. We had a really bad patch on D around the Miami, Baltimore (i think it was) games but towards the end of the year i thought our discipline, organisation and aggresive attitude was better. Really excited to see what Tarver can do if we get a pass rusher and a MLB who has authority.

Reggiesucks wrote:
Talent Evaluation - He brings in 2 corners and both were gigantic flops! Breisel was one of his biggest FA aquisitions and he's already been forced to restructure and will probably be out the door after this season. Wheeler (FA) was solid and Burress (Draft) was solid. So far the results are trending on the below average side. I'm hoping he hits a homerun with this years draft.

Disagree here too. I don't think talent was the problem with our CBs, we took a chance on 2 injured guys and they didn't come off. I though Spencer looked like he could be a solid CB if he could have stayed healthy. Briesel I am prepared to give another year, I don't think he was that bad though Bergstrom and Crawford are a big?.

Wheeler, Burris, Bilukidi, Streater and Joselio Hansen were all good signings IMO and Criner, Adams, Ross, Nix all have big potential (though have proved nothing as yet). I also feel Vance Walker and Tracy Porter are capable of being very influential players and will prove to be good signings.

Reggiesucks wrote:
RM says it's a 2 year deal, well year 2 is here so let's see what he does. I personally wasn't impressed with year 1 but I'm still optimistic. If things get better after this season I will retire the screen name. LOL I just want to see the team play good football and look well coached. That wasn't the case last year. They looked unprepared schematically and from a game management perspective. Going from 8-8 to 4-12 is definitely no reason for me to get excited. Cap Room and Picks don't translate to wins. It's what you do with them.

I think it's optimistic of RM saying 2 years. Maybe if we had kept the PBS and not employed Knapp i would agree but I cannot see us doing anything in the playoffs for at least 3 or 4 more years. We should be competetive in 2014 though at least. I guess it's how you read into what is said, If RM means the tear down will take 2 years i guess he's right but could have been done better no doubt, we are in a position where from now on thing will (hopefully) only get better. The real judgment for McKenzie will be how quickly it gets better and by how much. I think we may see a change of HC after next year but that may be all par for the course.

I think overall Reggie is doing a pretty good job, I can understand your reasoning and of course things could have been done better in hindsight. The biggest FAIL so far has obviously been Knapp, I'm not happy with that decision whoever made it (I don't think there was anyone on here that was positive with that signing either!) other than that I wouldn't say there are any gut wrentching decisions but plenty of positives to take forward.
Keleth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reggiesucks wrote:

Head Coach - In a league that's now more about scoring it wasn't smart to get rid of a coach that has turned the offense around and put in a Defensive Coach with "NO" HC experience.

So you would have kept Hue here despite the fact he appeared to be a rampant egomaniac when given responsibility ?
The same coach who gave up what could have been 2 1sts for Palmer ?
big_palooka

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keleth wrote:
Reggiesucks wrote:

Head Coach - In a league that's now more about scoring it wasn't smart to get rid of a coach that has turned the offense around and put in a Defensive Coach with "NO" HC experience.

So you would have kept Hue here despite the fact he appeared to be a rampant egomaniac when given responsibility ?
The same coach who gave up what could have been 2 1sts for Palmer ?

And the players in the locker room started to turn against as he threatened their jobs each week.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too Funny..the arguments dont change just the posters.

RM has done absolutely nothing of note.

Every single player he has cut or released should have been addressed two if not three years ago.Some of us understood that, others where in here as well as the other chat rooms calling DHB,Huff,Mclain,Routt,CJ,seymour, beasts or someother such foolish ,uninformed superlative.In a couple of seasons when he has to cut an equally as bad Tyvone Branch most of you who have been hyping him will forget that RM gave him a HUGE contract so we can watch him bite to the inside and watch reggie bush go untouched into the endzone.

He struck out in the draft and in fa last year,save the 'poor rm' no picks no cap excuse...thats the job....2014s 70 million in cap space is just as spendable to day as it will be in January,..why did we have to throw two years away before he wanted to "get started"?The point is maybe we should wait until the raiders...IDK maybe...win a game?, before we start talking about what a "good job" someone is doing...Opitmism is great, but how about a little selfcontrol,or perspective?
raidr4life

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

socallbraider wrote:
Too Funny..the arguments dont change just the posters.

RM has done absolutely nothing of note.

Every single player he has cut or released should have been addressed two if not three years ago.Some of us understood that, others where in here as well as the other chat rooms calling DHB,Huff,Mclain,Routt,CJ,seymour, beasts or someother such foolish ,uninformed superlative.In a couple of seasons when he has to cut an equally as bad Tyvone Branch most of you who have been hyping him will forget that RM gave him a HUGE contract so we can watch him bite to the inside and watch reggie bush go untouched into the endzone.

He struck out in the draft and in fa last year,save the 'poor rm' no picks no cap excuse...thats the job....2014s 70 million in cap space is just as spendable to day as it will be in January,..why did we have to throw two years away before he wanted to "get started"?The point is maybe we should wait until the raiders...IDK maybe...win a game?, before we start talking about what a "good job" someone is doing...Opitmism is great, but how about a little selfcontrol,or perspective?
Go away!
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We totes should fire Reggie. I mean, we would have been Super Bowl bound if we hired literally anyone else for GM.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 29 of 37

Jump to: