Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

McKenzie's job so far, is he doing the right thing?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 35, 36, 37  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raiders006

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My definition is to find starters, like they did in Seattle, with mid round draft picks and certainly find starters in the 1st and 3rd round.

And trade down if possible.
Big Rob

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raiders006 wrote:
I understand its highly unlikely that Reggie is fired but some of you seem content with giving him a 3 year pass. IMO the pressure is on right now for him to nail this draft; seems like some people in here are content with not demanding greatness from the GM.

3 year pass at least, his first two years have been ruined by lack of picks and out of whack contracts, and he is still doing a he'll of a job...all I am asking for is a solid draft 2-3 starters through draft UDFA, not asking too much with our talent level...we could easily upgrade at DE, FS,TE
Raidin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raiders006 wrote:
My definition is to find starters, like they did in Seattle, with mid round draft picks and certainly find starters in the 1st and 3rd round.

Expecting a Seattle like situation is pretty stupid. Those kinds of drafts are very very rare. If you demand that kind of success every year from your GM then you are living in dreamland.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raiders006 wrote:

So you expect something rare happenstance? You don't think the 31 other teams wish they could hit on a draft like that?

Very rare and if that is your measure you are truly going to be disappointed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
raiders006 wrote:
I understand its highly unlikely that Reggie is fired but some of you seem content with giving him a 3 year pass. IMO the pressure is on right now for him to nail this draft; seems like some people in here are content with not demanding greatness from the GM.

So in your world he needs to nail this draft how? What's your defination of 'nail this draft?'

Mind you the Raiders have 1 pick in the first 65 picks so most of the talent will will be somewhat raw/developmental.

It takes minimum 3 years to gauge a draft class. So you'll excuse 'some people' for not having an unrealistic demand of greatness.

It takes a minimum 3 years to let a GM settle in, build the roster in his image and see what his draft picks yield. I'll give Reggie 5 years because the first 2 he wasn't playing with a full deck of cards.

Good Post BP!

I think most people (including myself) thought the 2010 draft was a great one for Oakland, in reality we drafted 0 Pro Bowlers and 2 relatively high profile busts (McClain and Campbell). Houston and Veldheer are good players and Ford has potential but immediately after the draft we were praised from virtually every angle, it has been underwhelming so far as such. Immediately after the draft we may have graded out as an A- or a B+ maybe?? With hindsight, we couldn't be more than a C+ with only 3 players still on the team after only 3 full seasons.

Obviously, we all want McKenzie to have a hugely successful draft but just picking well known, high profile, hyped up players is not necessarily the way. The real test of this draft will be in how many of the drafted players are worth resigning once their rookie contracts are up or even still on the roster.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, i read an article the other day about team's success in the draft. The Packers and Steelers were the most successful over the period they analyzed. The Raiders were somewhere near the bottom but the Lions were the worst. I'll try to find it and post it in here.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Steve Corkran ‏@CorkOnTheNFL 3m
Raiders QB Matt Flynn's reworked contract calls for base salaries of $3.25 million in 2013 and $5 million in 2014.

Cool.

Cool, cool, cool.

#FreeAgent
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000158881/article/nfl-draft-questions-is-reggie-mckenzies-job-safe

This guy doesn't seem to know much about the Raiders.

#FreeAgent
oakdb36

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000158881/article/nfl-draft-questions-is-reggie-mckenzies-job-safe

This guy doesn't seem to know much about the Raiders.

This guy doesn't seem to know much at all.

Quote:
Let's examine it another way: The Raiders signed a number of smart, low cost bargain pickups in free agency. On most teams, these are guys that compete to play. And there are only a few of them. On the Raiders, they probably need to start. There are nine of them on defense alone. That group, which includes Mike Jenkins, Kaluka Maiava, Nick Roach and Tracy Porter, very likely will comprise the majority of defensive starters this season.

Jason Hunter - Atop the LE Depth Chart in TC for the Broncos. Playoff team.
Vance Walker - 3rd DT in the rotation for the Falcons. Playoff team.
Pat Sims - 3rd DT in the rotation for the Bengals. Playoff team.
Kevin Burnett - Starter for the Dolphins.
Nick Roach - Starter for the Bears.
Kaluka Maiava - Starter for the Browns.
Tracy Porter - Opening day starter for the Broncos. Playoff team.
Mike Jenkins - Nickel CB for the Cowboys.
Usama Young - Starter for the Browns.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/paul-gutierrez/davis-mckenzie-hes-doing-what-he-was-hired-do

Quote:
"Everything is going as planned," Davis told CSNCalifornia.com in an exclusive phone interview Thursday. "He's doing what he was hired to do. I'm very happy with it."

JTagg7754

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/paul-gutierrez/davis-mckenzie-hes-doing-what-he-was-hired-do

Quote:
"Everything is going as planned," Davis told CSNCalifornia.com in an exclusive phone interview Thursday. "He's doing what he was hired to do. I'm very happy with it."

Good to know. Thanks for posting this. I didn't see how it'd be possible to get mad at the moves we've been making but if there were to be one person who would get mad, I figured it'd be Mark LOL.

Reggie's good for a while and I like it. Very encouraging!!

PM sig requests.
NCOUGHMAN

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
Quote:
Raiders QB Matt Flynn's reworked contract calls for base salaries of $3.25 million in 2013 and $5 million in 2014.

Cool.

Cool, cool, cool.

i like those #'s a hell of a lot Laughing

green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN > all of you

Raider X wrote:
This is football, not pussology 101
Darkness

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTagg7754 wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:

Quote:

Good to know. Thanks for posting this. I didn't see how it'd be possible to get mad at the moves we've been making but if there were to be one person who would get mad, I figured it'd be Mark LOL.

Reggie's good for a while and I like it. Very encouraging!!

From everything I've seen and heard from Mark, he seems completely rationale and understanding. Not sure why you think he wouldn't be on the same page as Reggie.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCOUGHMAN wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
Quote:

Cool.

Cool, cool, cool.

What does this mean? I don't understand
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raiiiiidersssss wrote:
NCOUGHMAN wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
Quote:

Cool.

Cool, cool, cool.

What does this mean? I don't understand

That Flynn doesn't cost a lot.

#FreeAgent

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 27 of 37

Jump to: