Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Intro/Random Thread [Playoff Letdown/Who Coaches Nugs? Ed.]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
broncos67

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe_is_the_best wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
Joe_is_the_best wrote:
I like baseball, but what I don't like is players taking forever between pitches. Fine adjust your gloves, just don't meander around for 20 seconds thinking about the meaning of life.

All part of the mental aspect of the game my friend.
I just think they could speed things up a bit. You don't think they take too long?

Oh sometimes I think games take far too long. Any game between the Sox/Yanks usually lasts far too long. Some pitchers choose to pitch fast, others pitch atrociously slow, but I guess that's all part of it.

I used to pitch, for example, and I liked to go fast. I didn't waste time when I got the ball back unless I needed to

Thanks, Tzimisce
jonnyj20

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Raiders traded a 1st and 2nd to get Carson Palmer and got back a bag of Lays chips. Laughing

@AdamSchefter
Cardinals trade for Carson Palmer now official. Raiders get back a conditional 7th-rd pick in 2014 if Palmer starts 13 games.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
In all reality, baseball is a game that you won't like unless you grew up playing it. It's not a game filled with action, but it's a very technical game, and involves quite a bit of skill. It's a thinking mans game in my book.

^^^^
This.

Baseball is Americas past time, whether you choose to believe it or not. It is. The sport is for the purists of the world and for those that consider life to be more than just high-emotion and tons of action. As BD said, its a thinking sport. You have to be really clued in to the nuances of the game.

This youtube video is a perfect example of the thinking and action between pitches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpbU8vlGlzk

I agree with you guys whole-heartedly. If you don't understand the nuances and strategy of the game, and more importantly have a genuine appreciation of how terribly hard it is to play baseball at a major league level, you won't enjoy the sport.

I think that of all the major sports baseball is probably the hardest to play at a professional level. It's the only sport where you will see a player totally lose his ability to play, almost overnight, even if he's still in his athletic prime and doesn't have any injuries. It is so incredibly difficult to hit major league pitching day-in, day-out at a level good enough to remain in the professional ranks long-term. I've heard athletes from all sports say that the single hardest thing to do in any sport is consistently hit major league pitching. The mental grind, because of the long season where you play nearly every day and where even the best fail 7 out of 10 times, also makes baseball more difficult mentally than any other sport.

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
In all reality, baseball is a game that you won't like unless you grew up playing it. It's not a game filled with action, but it's a very technical game, and involves quite a bit of skill. It's a thinking mans game in my book.

^^^^
This.

Baseball is Americas past time, whether you choose to believe it or not. It is. The sport is for the purists of the world and for those that consider life to be more than just high-emotion and tons of action. As BD said, its a thinking sport. You have to be really clued in to the nuances of the game.

This youtube video is a perfect example of the thinking and action between pitches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpbU8vlGlzk

I agree with you guys whole-heartedly. If you don't understand the nuances and strategy of the game, and more importantly have a genuine appreciation of how terribly hard it is to play baseball at a major league level, you won't enjoy the sport.

I think that of all the major sports baseball is probably the hardest to play at a professional level. It's the only sport where you will see a player totally lose his ability to play, almost overnight, even if he's still in his athletic prime and doesn't have any injuries. It is so incredibly difficult to hit major league pitching day-in, day-out at a level good enough to remain in the professional ranks long-term. I've heard athletes from all sports say that the single hardest thing to do in any sport is consistently hit major league pitching. The mental grind, because of the long season where you play nearly every day and where even the best fail 7 out of 10 times, also makes baseball more difficult mentally than any other sport.

Add to that... Theres only 32 teams, with 25-man rosters. Thats a total of 800 players who compete at the professional level. If you think about each team having roughly 6 minor-league affiliates (with 25-man rosters as well), thats a total of 4800 players to pool from. So roughly 14% of players that play in the minors eventually play in the majors.

Baseball is the hardest sport to play professional, in terms of the mental aspect of the game and the political aspect of the game.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baseball is the most difficult sport to play professionally, I have always thought that. I'm athletic and can't hit a wiffle ball worth a dam.

But the fact that they fail 70% of the time and when they succeed it's super lame and boring just makes me hate it. Not to mention the hours between pitches etc etc. But yeah I didn't play it and no I don't get off on statistics and the strategy so I get why that would make me dislike it.

As far as soccer goes, it is the most creative game in the world. More unique plays happen in soccer every game than anywhere else. They are the most fit athletes in all of team sports. And speaking of difficulty, to score you have to get the ball by a dude that can use his hands while you can't. But it's not surprising that a country who's national pastime is baseball can't appreciate the beautiful game.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

champ+jay+al=SB wrote:
Baseball is the most difficult sport to play professionally, I have always thought that. I'm athletic and can't hit a wiffle ball worth a dam.

But the fact that they fail 70% of the time and when they succeed it's super lame and boring just makes me hate it. Not to mention the hours between pitches etc etc. But yeah I didn't play it and no I don't get off on statistics and the strategy so I get why that would make me dislike it.

As far as soccer goes, it is the most creative game in the world. More unique plays happen in soccer every game than anywhere else. They are the most fit athletes in all of team sports. And speaking of difficulty, to score you have to get the ball by a dude that can use his hands while you can't. But it's not surprising that a country who's national pastime is baseball can't appreciate the beautiful game.

Agreed with you on soccer. I think a lot of people dislike it because it's not high scoring. My advice is this: go out and try and kick a soccer ball or play soccer with people who even halfway know what they're doing and you'll have quite the appreciation for how difficult it is. I personally love soccer as a fan.

Thanks, Tzimisce
elliot878

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
champ+jay+al=SB wrote:

Agreed with you on soccer. I think a lot of people dislike it because it's not high scoring. My advice is this: go out and try and kick a soccer ball or play soccer with people who even halfway know what they're doing and you'll have quite the appreciation for how difficult it is. I personally love soccer as a fan.

The hardest sport to play is hockey. One you have to learn how to walk and run pretty much all over again. I was a good skater from the second i first stepped on the ice, but then put a stick in my hands, ask me to do stuff like even kid hockey players do, i can't. I'd rank making the NHL just behind making the NBA in difficulty to make a major professional roster.

NBA is easy to play, almost impossible to make the highest pro rank in. Huge amounts of people play in a ton of countries. The rosters are the smallest of any sport. By the numbers its just extremely unlikely for someone to make the NBA.

The second most difficult sport to play, behind hockey, is soccer. It is the hardest to play MAJOR professional of any sport, by far. Just by the numbers again, rosters aren't massive like football, number of teams that play at this level isnt either, and then theres the fact that every country on earth plays the game in huge masses.

NFL is easily the easiest to go pro in of the major sports. I'd say baseball is by far the easiest to get drafted in. Of the major sports its probably the second easiest to make it pro in behind football, just by the numbers. Baseballs basically only played at a decent level in venezuela, japan, DR, and the US. Its a 50 round draft, but i can't homestly say that making the MLB is harder than making the NBA or NHL, where both sports are played in higher numbers worldwide. I would rank baseball as the third most difficult sport to play of the major team sports behind hockey and soccer.

Rankings

Difficulty of Making it to the highest league:
1. Soccer
2. Basketball
3. Hockey
4. Baseball
5. Football

Difficulty to Play:
1. Hockey
2. Soccer
3. Baseball
4. Tie between basketball and football

Fitness Level:
1. Soccer
2. Hockey
3. Basketball
4. Football

5. Baseball

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^where is Lacrosse in these rankings?
broncosfan07

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsthomp2007 wrote:
^^where is Lacrosse in these rankings?
Itd be below hockey since you don't have to skate but it does require great hand-eye coordination and conditioning.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel bad for Darvish... he was 1 batter away. Bummer!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliot878 wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
champ+jay+al=SB wrote:

The hardest sport to play is hockey. One you have to learn how to walk and run pretty much all over again. I was a good skater from the second i first stepped on the ice, but then put a stick in my hands, ask me to do stuff like even kid hockey players do, i can't. I'd rank making the NHL just behind making the NBA in difficulty to make a major professional roster.

NBA is easy to play, almost impossible to make the highest pro rank in. Huge amounts of people play in a ton of countries. The rosters are the smallest of any sport. By the numbers its just extremely unlikely for someone to make the NBA.

The second most difficult sport to play, behind hockey, is soccer. It is the hardest to play MAJOR professional of any sport, by far. Just by the numbers again, rosters aren't massive like football, number of teams that play at this level isnt either, and then theres the fact that every country on earth plays the game in huge masses.

NFL is easily the easiest to go pro in of the major sports. I'd say baseball is by far the easiest to get drafted in. Of the major sports its probably the second easiest to make it pro in behind football, just by the numbers. Baseballs basically only played at a decent level in venezuela, japan, DR, and the US. Its a 50 round draft, but i can't homestly say that making the MLB is harder than making the NBA or NHL, where both sports are played in higher numbers worldwide. I would rank baseball as the third most difficult sport to play of the major team sports behind hockey and soccer.

Rankings

1. Soccer
2. Basketball
3. Hockey
4. Baseball
5. Football

Difficulty to Play:
1. Hockey
2. Soccer
3. Baseball

Fitness Level:
1. Soccer
2. Hockey
3. Basketball
4. Football

5. Baseball

....Um what?

I think a man who runs a sub 4.4 40 is far more fit then a guy who can run around like a fairy for 90 minutes. And that's ignoring muscle strength which obviously football trumps every other sport.
broncos67

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackAtBroncos07 wrote:
elliot878 wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
champ+jay+al=SB wrote:

Rankings

1. Soccer
2. Basketball
3. Hockey
4. Baseball
5. Football

Difficulty to Play:
1. Hockey
2. Soccer
3. Baseball

Fitness Level:
1. Soccer
2. Hockey
3. Basketball
4. Football

5. Baseball

....Um what?

I think a man who runs a sub 4.4 40 is far more fit then a guy who can run around like a fairy for 90 minutes. And that's ignoring muscle strength which obviously football trumps every other sport.

Lol "runs around like a fairy." What does that even mean? Just because you don't like soccer doesn't mean you should demean it. Just because a football player can run a 4.4 40 doesn't make him a better athlete than a soccer player, especially in a sport that require frequent acceleration and where athletes can run ~10 miles a game. Soccer players are by far the most fit athletes. You also cherry picked one type of football player, but what about OL/DL players.

Thanks, Tzimisce
PackAtBroncos07

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
PackAtBroncos07 wrote:
elliot878 wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
champ+jay+al=SB wrote:

Rankings

1. Soccer
2. Basketball
3. Hockey
4. Baseball
5. Football

Difficulty to Play:
1. Hockey
2. Soccer
3. Baseball

Fitness Level:
1. Soccer
2. Hockey
3. Basketball
4. Football

5. Baseball

....Um what?

Lol "runs around like a fairy." What does that even mean? Just because you don't like soccer doesn't mean you should demean it. Just because a football player can run a 4.4 40 doesn't make him a better athlete than a soccer player, especially in a sport that require frequent acceleration and where athletes can run ~10 miles a game. Soccer players are by far the most fit athletes. You also cherry picked one type of football player, but what about OL/DL players.

Admittedly I don't watch a lot of soccer. I've probably seen less then 5 full games in my life and played Fifa no more than a couple times more than that, but I don't think every player on the field is sprinting the entire time. Usually 1 guy with the ball and a couple guys around him are running all out and for how long? You can't really sprint the length of a soccer field with the ball without losing the ball or having to pass it. They may run 10 miles a game but again.. I'll call the guys who run 4.4 forties, and can maintain that speed for 100 yards at least, and those that can't can lift like 500 lbs on average, more physically fit.
AKRNA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as far as physical skills, Hockey requires the most. Thats from personal experience. Stamina, it's got to be right up there.

Went to a few Hockey Camps when I was a kid and when you weren't on the ice you were playing soccer or ping pong. Soccer for the foot/eye and ping pong for the hand/eye.

Personally I think Hockey requires the highest level of fitness. When you're on the ice it's 100% blow and go, unlike soccer where there's a lot of jogging, holding position, etc.

Could be wrong, but I played HS Football and college Hockey with intramural BB and Soccer tossed in so I do have a bit of an informed opinion.

Ya gotta love 'em all though! Very Happy
champ+jay+al=SB

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackAtBroncos07 wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
PackAtBroncos07 wrote:
elliot878 wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
champ+jay+al=SB wrote:

Rankings

1. Soccer
2. Basketball
3. Hockey
4. Baseball
5. Football

Difficulty to Play:
1. Hockey
2. Soccer
3. Baseball

Fitness Level:
1. Soccer
2. Hockey
3. Basketball
4. Football

5. Baseball

....Um what?

Admittedly I don't watch a lot of soccer. I've probably seen less then 5 full games in my life and played Fifa no more than a couple times more than that, but I don't think every player on the field is sprinting the entire time. Usually 1 guy with the ball and a couple guys around him are running all out and for how long? You can't really sprint the length of a soccer field with the ball without losing the ball or having to pass it. They may run 10 miles a game but again.. I'll call the guys who run 4.4 forties, and can maintain that speed for 100 yards at least, and those that can't can lift like 500 lbs on average, more physically fit.

There are plenty of soccer players that can run 4.4 first of all. And they don't get a 30 second break for every 10 seconds of action. So lol at this.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 13 of 100

Jump to: