Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official Free Agency Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dashing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
Right, because 2 2nd year players and a rookie is a recipe for success. Laughing

Yeah, if last year's team didn't have Rex Grossman they probably would have finished 4-12. Rolling Eyes The only reason Rex Grossman is in the league is because he's a "good teammate." As a player he's garbage, always has been, always will be. He's dead weight and a waste of money.

Pretty disappointed that the Redskins let Lorenzo Alexander go yet they're going to re-sign garbage like Rex Grossman and Kedric Golston. They better have one heck of a draft. If they put the same team on the field next year they can't expect to repeat what they did last year.

I agree how ever we are very lucky that FA has deemed down and we can easily improve our secondary "IF" we choose too. I like the idea of getting Winfield which seems likely and draft a CB would be a wonderful idea.

I think we can get a FS in FA cheap im hopinh Barber or Rhodes.
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian23 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
The only QB we should be worried about is Rex.

As a 3, you're not gonna get anyone better.
too expensive imo. We should go with a rookie but probably won't because of Rg3's injury

Right, because 2 2nd year players and a rookie is a recipe for success. Laughing
it was last year. How many snaps did Grossman take? He was a 1.3 million dollar inactive player all year. Great use of resources there! Laughing Rolling Eyes it was like re-signing Renaldo Wynn in 09 to have him inactive all year and make more than some guys who played in the games. It's called Bad use of your cap. Rex isn't going to be signed by anyone but the redskins, if we need him during the year, I'm sure he'll be available.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
Brian23 wrote:

Yeah, if last year's team didn't have Rex Grossman they probably would have finished 4-12. Rolling Eyes The only reason Rex Grossman is in the league is because he's a "good teammate." As a player he's garbage, always has been, always will be. He's dead weight and a waste of money.

Pretty disappointed that the Redskins let Lorenzo Alexander go yet they're going to re-sign garbage like Rex Grossman and Kedric Golston. They better have one heck of a draft. If they put the same team on the field next year they can't expect to repeat what they did last year.
that wasn't the entire reason they couldn't sign Alexander. While I wanted Zo back, I don't think he's worth the contract he is getting in Arizona at the age of 30. We have field a team, not just give our reserves big contracts. Again, I love Zo, but he wasn't going to start here, he may start in Arizona and we need to add players to other positions.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Brian23

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
Brian23 wrote:

He's not there to do the work, he's there to help work them through the offense and explain little nuances one can only acquire through experience in the league.

He was with the QB's after every series, and was constantly talking to them on the sidelines. Regardless, you -always- have a Vet QB on the Roster in case the unthinkable happens. If we draft a QB and Robert starts on the pup list, you really want Cousins and a Rookie as our only options? That's ridiculous.
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian23 wrote:
AntiSuperstar wrote:
Brian23 wrote:

He's not there to do the work, he's there to help work them through the offense and explain little nuances one can only acquire through experience in the league.

He was with the QB's after every series, and was constantly talking to them on the sidelines. Regardless, you -always- have a Vet QB on the Roster in case the unthinkable happens. If we draft a QB and Robert starts on the pup list, you really want Cousins and a Rookie as our only options? That's ridiculous.
last year we had Grossman around just like you said at 1.3 million. I thinks the coaches can do what he did, we don't have the money to spend on Grossman.

Last year every week except when Rg3 missed a game Grossman wasn't even active. So basically last year we went with 2 rookies all year and now you're concerned about going with two 2nd year players, and a cheaper FA or a rookie?

I understand Grossman's your man. You've made it clear your man crush on him since 2010, but its time for Grossman to hit the road, we need to get younger and cheaper at #3 qb position.

I think Grossman will probably be on the team because Kyle might be the guy who actually likes Grossman more than you, but I wish we'd go in a different direction.

mike23md

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
AntiSuperstar wrote:
Brian23 wrote:

last year we had Grossman around just like you said at 1.3 million. I thinks the coaches can do what he did, we don't have the money to spend on Grossman.

Last year every week except when Rg3 missed a game Grossman wasn't even active. So basically last year we went with 2 rookies all year and now you're concerned about going with two 2nd year players, and a cheaper FA or a rookie?

I understand Grossman's your man. You've made it clear your man crush on him since 2010, but its time for Grossman to hit the road, we need to get younger and cheaper at #3 qb position.

I think Grossman will probably be on the team because Kyle might be the guy who actually likes Grossman more than you, but I wish we'd go in a different direction.

I dont think that we are in a position to have a developmental QB on the roster. Cause we already have one, Kirk Cousins. Cousins is going to need Grossman to continue to learn the offense.

The coaches cannot teach the reads that a QB makes or when to adjust to a hot route or call an audible. Rex's knowledge of the offense and what to do in those situations is what makes him valuable. And therefore, that is why I would keep him around.

2015 REDSKINS DRAFT HOPEFUL
2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/29/report-deal-done-romo-gets-more-guaranteed-money-than-flacco/

Good news for Redskins fans. Dallas just re-signed Romo!

Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
daboyle250

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/29/report-deal-done-romo-gets-more-guaranteed-money-than-flacco/

Just when I thought they didn't have any cap space!

Tracker: 46 catches, 498 yards, 3 TD
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daboyle250 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:

I read , this actually GAVE them cap space .. He's less this year than he was before the new deal..Cap Wise
mike23md

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
daboyle250 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:

I read , this actually GAVE them cap space .. He's less this year than he was before the new deal..Cap Wise

The back loaded the contract in order to give them room for this season, but his contract, will be stacked next season. He could earn somewhere around 3M this season (as an example) and then next season earn 15M.

Honestly this was a stupid move for the Cowboys. Romo is 32, has won 1 playoff game and is not well liked in Dallas as their starting QB. Romo was under contract till the end of 2013 season. The Cowboys could have drafted his potential successor this season or next but instead are on the hook for 55M dollars.

Not a good move IMO at all for the Cowboys.

2015 REDSKINS DRAFT HOPEFUL
2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
21 ALL THE WAY

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad move for the Cowboys but it could turn into a Great move on our end especially if RG3 can return healthy and that dosent have to be this up coming season. As long as Romo is thier QB they will go nowhere far IMO. He's good statictally but when it matters the most he is not the guy I want leading my team.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so happy the Cowboys did this.

Personally, I think this was the year for the cowboys to move him. (Trade him)

His value is high enough with the QB needy teams out there? (and his awesome statistics...lol)
I'm betting the cowboys could have netted a 1st rd pick or more for Romo.

Hell, if Carson Palmer can net a 1st & 2nd, then the cowboys could easily get that.
Alex smith cost the chiefs two 2nd rounders.

What the cowboys should have done was trade Romo (keep Orton)

And either trade for a guy like Ryan Mallet to compete in camp?
or simply draft their guy and have that rookie compete with Orton and basically start over at the QB position.

But me...I'll be happy seeing RG3 consoling Romo for the next 5 or 6 years after games.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Ha! Bad move for the cowboys. I can't believe they are going to make him the player with the most guarenteed $ in the NFL.

Oh well, not our problem. It's our blessing. Very Happy

Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I sat down with the numbers from Romo's contract.

One word: Woof!

2014 salary = $13.5M (FULLY GUARANTEED)
2014 signing bonus portion = $5.0M
2014 other bonuses = $3.273M
2014 cap value = $21.773M

2015 salary = $17.0M (if on roster on the 3rd league day of 2014, $7.5M becomes guaranteed)
2015 signing bonus portion = $5.0M
2015 other bonuses = $3.273M
2015 cap value = $25.273M

2016 salary = $8.5M (if on roster on the 3rd league day of 2015, $7.5M becomes guaranteed)
2016 signing bonus portion = $5.0M
2016 other bonuses = $1.635M
2016 cap value = $15.135M

So, let's look at this for a moment. If the Cowboys cut/traded Romo after this coming season, they would have somewhere between $33.5M and $41.681M in dead cap space (low end only focuses on guaranteed 2014 salary and signing bonus portion; high end adds in other bonuses (I don't know if those are residual signing bonus monies or roster bonuses)).

Given that, it's almost impossible for me to see how he's not on the roster of the third day of the 2014 league year. That in turn means that the $7.5M of his 2015 salary is almost surely guaranteed. In turn, that means if they were to cut him after 2014, he would cost them between $22.5M and $27.408M in dead cap space.

Now, if they were to treat him as a "June cut" (I think those are still in the new CBA (cutting a player in March but treating him like he was cut after June for accounting purposes)), they might be able to recover between $9.5m and $12.773m in cap space, but take some pretty severe dead cap numbers in 2016 and 2017 ($5M/$6.635M in 2015 (depending on bonuses) and $5M in 2016).

Of course, given that he'll have a $21.773M cap value in 2014, you have to think they'll restructure that money and make it even harder to cut in 2015. Likewise, they might do it again in 2015.

It's not entirely outside the realm of possibility that Tony Romo could be on the Cowboys' roster until 2017 or 2018 (when he would be 37 and 38, respectively).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23
Page 23 of 23

Jump to: