Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens telling WR Anquan Boldin to take pay-cut; Refuses
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Ravens telling WR Anquan Boldin to take pay-cut; Refuses Reply with quote

Quote:
#Ravens WR Anquan Boldin is being asked to take a pay cut or he will be released.

http://twitter.com/alexmarvez/statuses/310383229939109888

Boldin said that he will either play for the Ravens in 2013 or retire from the NFL during the off-season, so the Ravens figured they can play hardball with him.

Boldin was amazing during the Ravens playoff run last season, recording 22 catches for 380 yards and 4 TDs including one in the Superbowl.

He finished the 2012 regular season with 65 catches for 921 yards and 4 TDs.

***Update***
Quote:
One source on Boldin: 'Unless something dramatic happens, it's an absolute done deal that Anquan will be released.' We'll see. Still time

https://twitter.com/RavensInsider/status/310393604243877888

***Update***
Wow.

Quote:
Anquan Boldin was close to being released Friday, so close that a statement was being prepared by him thanking the fans for his time here

http://twitter.com/RavensInsider/statuses/310389864862453760

***Update***

Quote:
Boldin has rejected a Ravens proposal to reduce his salary, and is preparing to become an unrestricted free agent if released, according to a person person with knowledge of the negotiations.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/ravens/2013/03/09/anquan-boldin-rejects-ravens-offer-free-agency/1975345/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

***Update***
Quote:
Ravens wanted Anquan Boldin to take a $2 million paycut and he declined, according to a league source.

https://twitter.com/RavensInsider/status/310775526275035136
Tom Brady Tribute

Last edited by Billy Spikes on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:54 am; edited 4 times in total
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope he takes it. He was one player I always wanted to see in a Ravens uniform before he came here and it was awesome watching him do what he did this postseason.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
patman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Hope he takes it. He was one player I always wanted to see in a Ravens uniform before he came here and it was awesome watching him do what he did this postseason.

I am sure he will as long as it is not a 50% cut or anything like that. You don't want to insult the guy either by asking him to play for 1/2 of what Hartline is making next year.

I thought the Ravens were under the cap? I don't understand the reason for doing it now and not asking him later, unless they want him to have the opportunity to catch on somewhere else.
santiagomn8

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe there is someone in free agency they like and they are trying to make some cap to go after that individual
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
Quote:
One source on Boldin: 'Unless something dramatic happens, it's an absolute done deal that Anquan will be released.' We'll see. Still time

https://twitter.com/RavensInsider/status/310393604243877888
Tom Brady Tribute
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

santiagomn8 wrote:
maybe there is someone in free agency they like and they are trying to make some cap to go after that individual

We won't be adding any other teams free agents, other than bargain signing at the end.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

santiagomn8 wrote:

Yeah, we do have guys like that -- Dannell Ellerbe and Ed Reed.

But, as I said in the News forum, I'm surprised by this report. I'd have thought that maybe we'd extend him to to smooth that cap hit out a bit instead of releasing him. I think he's an essential piece to our offensive puzzle for the next 1-2 years. I don't see why we'd want to move on from him rather than extending him.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh this isn't good. WTF are we gonna do with a few extra million that is more valuable than what Q brings to the table?

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
santiagomn8

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
santiagomn8 wrote:

We won't be adding any other teams free agents, other than bargain signing at the end.

thats kinda what i meant lol maybe there is a player they think they can sign thats on the cheap side but they are high on and want to get early before they are gone. but i dont agree with this move i like Boldin a lot he is a great possession receiver and it seems that Calwell knows how to utilize him unlike Cam. i hope we keep him around i think he has at least another 2 good years in him
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
Wow.

Quote:
Anquan Boldin was close to being released Friday, so close that a statement was being prepared by him thanking the fans for his time here

http://twitter.com/RavensInsider/statuses/310389864862453760
Tom Brady Tribute
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is ridiculous.

Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."
coordinator0

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand it but at the same time I don't. Doing something with Boldin's contract looks like one of the best ways to open up some cap space. The biggest question I have about that is for what are they going to do with it? Hopefully it doesn't come down to overpaying Ellerbe and/or Reed.

If it comes down to cutting Boldin that leaves the team with Smith, Jones, Doss, Streeter, Williams, and Thompson as the WRs. Jones isn't exactly starting material at that position and everybody else is an unknown quantity. They might be high on the receivers in this draft but it's still a gamble to replace a veteran like Boldin with a rookie. Drafting a guy like Allen or Hopkins if this situations plays out would be nice though.

In the end I think Boldin will remain with Baltimore even if he gets cut. I still see him getting an extension (or a new deal if he's a free agent).
draftguru1234

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It goes without saying, but the Ravens can't afford to lose Boldin.

Especially if its for over-paying Ellerbe.
dcarey20

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I dont know about this one. I'll trust the front office's judgement but I'd almost rather lose Ellerbe than Boldin. I think Ellerbe is more of a priority than we even imagined. Hopefully he takes a cut and is back with us.

If he is indeed cut, our need for WR in the draft suddenly goes way up. Would be interesting to see where they plan on going at that position.
patman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe the ravens still believe he would retire rather than seek employment elsewhere. To me that sounded like a guy that was still on an emotional high from the great win. It is not like he made huge money in his career, it was very similar to Welker in NE, I think he has made less than 25-30 mill in his entire career.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: