Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tommy Kelly expects release from Raiders
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dessie wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
Dessie wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
His cap hit was 2.4M. The franchise tag was 6.2M. We're rolling over 4.5M from 2012. So, barely but yes. We would have probably passed on a few of the FA signings we made last year too.

So in reality we couldn't afford to put Branch on the franchise tag. We needed to create cap space to make the moves we made and in case we needed or wanted to make moves during the season.

True. True.

Branch had the Raiders over a barrel at the time. McKenzie had to sign Branch long-term however, I expect that these type of contract year breakouts will be getting resigned less and less.

I like a lot of the things McKenzie has done considering he's fighting an orangutan in a telephone booth trying to keep the Raiders cap compliant. The only question/hope is that once all the bad paper has passed can he change course. Despite the Super Bowl I'm not big on GBs roster either, as many aren't. I'll pass on a Thompson clone (if that is the case).

They just need a new defensive coordinator. You'd be crazy to say you wouldn't want Green Bays roster, so I don't believe you really mean that.

Many argue that had GB not lucked into Rodgers they'd be awful. I don't like their OL or their defense. My vision is just more long-term. Would I want a crap team with Rodgers or Brees? It'd be an interesting question. Maybe I'd rather have the Ravens or Steelers who are scrappy every year even when they are down. Idk.

Yeah obviously you don't know if you think the Steelers have a better roster than the Packers.

I'm not comparing rosters I'm comparing how the organization is run. Good day . . . .
oakdb36

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dessie wrote:

This. We probably wouldn't have resigned Reece.

He was an ERFA. He had no leverage.
Dessie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
Dessie wrote:

Ah ok. Could we have afforded to cut Boss, Routt?
#clueless
oakdb36

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dessie wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
Dessie wrote:

The difference between his actual 2012 cap hit and the franchise tag was 3.8M. We ended up 4.5M uder the cap. So obviously, yes.
Dessie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
Dessie wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
Dessie wrote:

The difference between his actual 2012 cap hit and the franchise tag was 3.8M. We ended up 4.5M uder the cap. So obviously, yes.

Brain freeze, off to bed!
#clueless
RaisinBran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
justwinbaby81 wrote:

Hi, welcome to the Oakland Raiders, home of the personal foul and worst run defense. Starring Tommy Kelly.

The scheme had a lot more to do with that than Tommy Kelly.

I kind of agree, although Kelly doesn't usually play the run well. Always shoots through the line after the QB, leaving a gaping hole in our D-Line.

(NFL)=Raiders, (MLB)=A's, (NBA)= Warriors
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was a 5 technique miscast as a nose, like most of our DT's over the last few years.

Maybe this offseason we will get it right and sctually draft some true DT's.

Raider X hooked me with the sig
Dat Raider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When on earth are we going to make our releases? I'm hoping we do it before the start of Free Agency. We need as much cap space as possible, just so we can go for one of the RTs or CBs.
Dreadymatt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

our lack of cap space is going to leave us struggling to sign anybody for much above league minimum (wonder who we get for that except recently out-of-league players, we need to see a list of decent CFL/UFL players, anyone seen one?), personally think we'll probably loose our best FA's too
TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreadymatt wrote:
our lack of cap space is going to leave us struggling to sign anybody for much above league minimum (wonder who we get for that except recently out-of-league players, we need to see a list of decent CFL/UFL players, anyone seen one?), personally think we'll probably loose our best FA's too

What are you talking about? We were in way worse shape last season.

And we while all of them didnt work out we signed the following and still had space left over.

Brisel
Wheeler
Spencer
Bartell
Hanson
Carter

Not to mention the guys we resigned.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dat Raider wrote:
When on earth are we going to make our releases? I'm hoping we do it before the start of Free Agency. We need as much cap space as possible, just so we can go for one of the RTs or CBs.

And so it begins.

The Raiders don't need to cut anyone. They have cap room currently. There is no rush to cut players they have. Let the market play and see if they find some trade value, etc. before outright releasing them.

If any of you are expecting the Raiders to be involved in FA early w/ outside signings you're going to be disappointed. They are not going to be active in the spending spree and I wouldn't expect any 'big name' signings to happen.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiberiusRising wrote:
Dreadymatt wrote:

And we while all of them didnt work out we signed the following and still had space left over.

Brisel
Wheeler
Spencer
Bartell
Hanson
Carter

I thought that the impending Rolando cut was going to wipe out our cap space, i probably got this wrong though (struggle with cap understanding)
big_palooka

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiberiusRising wrote:
Dreadymatt wrote:

Brisel
Wheeler
Spencer
Bartell
Hanson
Carter

This. The Raiders are 8 million under. The best they've been in years. Regardless, they are not going to overpay players early.

They have enough cap room to make moves w/out having to worry about cuts currently.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
TiberiusRising wrote:
Dreadymatt wrote:

Brisel
Wheeler
Spencer
Bartell
Hanson
Carter

This. The Raiders are 8 million under. The best they've been in years. Regardless, they are not going to overpay players early.

They have enough cap room to make moves w/out having to worry about cuts currently.

and that number 8 is without doing anything with Kelly and Romac at this point?

so if that is the case, we should be 13 under after those release...

no ?
Dat Raider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Dat Raider wrote:

And so it begins.

The Raiders don't need to cut anyone. They have cap room currently. There is no rush to cut players they have. Let the market play and see if they find some trade value, etc. before outright releasing them.

If any of you are expecting the Raiders to be involved in FA early w/ outside signings you're going to be disappointed. They are not going to be active in the spending spree and I wouldn't expect any 'big name' signings to happen.

I'm aware of our cap situation, we're about $8m under the cap, which is ok. However, with players like Kelly, we have no more use for him, so why keep him when we can get rid of him asap and create even more cap room. Are you seriously content with our cap room? $8 is whack. Expecting a 'big name' free agent is certainly not what I am expecting from McKenzie as that is not his MO. However, getting one of the better RTs or CBs in free agency will not be a surprise seeing as we would have a lot more cap room than we did last year. Now i'm not talking about Al Davis type contracts, but we are in a much better position to get a player of a higher calibre without the "out of whack" contract.

There is NO trade value that Kelly holds, either. I don't know what you're thinking. That was maybe a couple of years ago, but in this day there is no chance. His salary for 2013 is $6.5m and his salary for 2014 is $7m. He's 32 years old and has a history of an abundance of penalties. Trade value, yeah? Ok mate, if that makes you sleep at night.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: