Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tommy Kelly expects release from Raiders
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dessie wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
Dessie wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
His cap hit was 2.4M. The franchise tag was 6.2M. We're rolling over 4.5M from 2012. So, barely but yes. We would have probably passed on a few of the FA signings we made last year too.

So in reality we couldn't afford to put Branch on the franchise tag. We needed to create cap space to make the moves we made and in case we needed or wanted to make moves during the season.

In reality, the priority should have been avoiding a risky committment to a player who wasn't worth the contract he was looking for even if that would have come at the expense of signing the likes of Dave Tollefson, Pat Lee, etc...
McKenzie came into a terrible financial situation. I thought he would have stayed away from creating some potentially similar issues.

Branch was highly regarded and we paid him accordingly. It was a good move resigning him rather than franchising him meaning we had some salary cap space. I am pretty sure if we had franchised him last year like you suggested you would be saying that was a bad move now.

Branch is a low salary cap hit in the first 2 years of Reggies tenure when we have little to no salary cap space. If we don't think he is playing to his contract next year we will have more than enough room to cut him. This year we need the space again. Most would accept that this is going to be a long process to fix the franchise.

This is how I see the Brisiel situation, like they feel that they will be able to take the cap hit in th enext couple years rather than this year, due to the limited space. But each year should get better and better, giving them more room to take some of these hits. People don't like it, but with such limited space this year, we need all the room we can get.
Dessie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
Dessie wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
His cap hit was 2.4M. The franchise tag was 6.2M. We're rolling over 4.5M from 2012. So, barely but yes. We would have probably passed on a few of the FA signings we made last year too.

So in reality we couldn't afford to put Branch on the franchise tag. We needed to create cap space to make the moves we made and in case we needed or wanted to make moves during the season.

True. True.

Branch had the Raiders over a barrel at the time. McKenzie had to sign Branch long-term however, I expect that these type of contract year breakouts will be getting resigned less and less.

I like a lot of the things McKenzie has done considering he's fighting an orangutan in a telephone booth trying to keep the Raiders cap compliant. The only question/hope is that once all the bad paper has passed can he change course. Despite the Super Bowl I'm not big on GBs roster either, as many aren't. I'll pass on a Thompson clone (if that is the case).

Yeah right we don't want a roster that wins a Superbowl then the next year goes 15-1 and then the year after that are in the playoffs again Rolling Eyes
#clueless
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
Dessie wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:

True. True.

Branch had the Raiders over a barrel at the time. McKenzie had to sign Branch long-term however, I expect that these type of contract year breakouts will be getting resigned less and less.

I like a lot of the things McKenzie has done considering he's fighting an orangutan in a telephone booth trying to keep the Raiders cap compliant. The only question/hope is that once all the bad paper has passed can he change course. Despite the Super Bowl I'm not big on GBs roster either, as many aren't. I'll pass on a Thompson clone (if that is the case).

They just need a new defensive coordinator. You'd be crazy to say you wouldn't want Green Bays roster, so I don't believe you really mean that.

Last edited by OakRaiders3828 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
oakdb36

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OakRaiders3828 wrote:

The guaranteed money has the most impact right? In that case, I can now see how he was overpaid as it is right there with the best safeties in the game (which he is not), however the per year is a fair contract, especially at the time.

The per year is over 6M. It's elite money for a safety. William Moore just signed for 6M/year.
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:

The guaranteed money has the most impact right? In that case, I can now see how he was overpaid as it is right there with the best safeties in the game (which he is not), however the per year is a fair contract, especially at the time.

The per year is over 6M. It's elite money for a safety. William Moore just signed for 6M/year.

What was the going rate last year though? Didn't Michael Griffin sign for $7+ million per year recently? Eric Berry gets $10 million, Weddle got $19 mil guaranteed and 8 per year, Bob Sanders got 7.5 per year not to long ago. So Sure, it's up there but not elite status IMO. Role gets 7.4 per year, Polamalu with 9.1 and Huff with 8. I'm sure there are others who make more.

Last edited by OakRaiders3828 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dessie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OakRaiders3828 wrote:
Dessie wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
Dessie wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:

In reality, the priority should have been avoiding a risky committment to a player who wasn't worth the contract he was looking for even if that would have come at the expense of signing the likes of Dave Tollefson, Pat Lee, etc...
McKenzie came into a terrible financial situation. I thought he would have stayed away from creating some potentially similar issues.

Branch was highly regarded and we paid him accordingly. It was a good move resigning him rather than franchising him meaning we had some salary cap space. I am pretty sure if we had franchised him last year like you suggested you would be saying that was a bad move now.

Branch is a low salary cap hit in the first 2 years of Reggies tenure when we have little to no salary cap space. If we don't think he is playing to his contract next year we will have more than enough room to cut him. This year we need the space again. Most would accept that this is going to be a long process to fix the franchise.

This is how I see the Brisiel situation, like they feel that they will be able to take the cap hit in th enext couple years rather than this year, due to the limited space. But each year should get better and better, giving them more room to take some of these hits. People don't like it, but with such limited space this year, we need all the room we can get.

Agreed. Seems to me like a good strategy tbh.
#clueless
oakdb36

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dessie wrote:

There's no way i would say that because he'd be signing a much cheaper contract coming off a disappointing season now. And that's if we still wanted to keep him. We'd be free to do whatever we want with him right now.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OakRaiders3828 wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:

What was the going rate last year though? Didn't Michael Griffin sign for $7+ million per year recently?

Yeah Griffin signed a stupid contract too. Decoud didn't. I'll look for other safeties who signed last year if you want to.
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:

What was the going rate last year though? Didn't Michael Griffin sign for $7+ million per year recently?

Yeah Griffin signed a stupid contract too. Decoud didn't. I'll look for other safeties who signed last year if you want to.

I edited my post and found a few, Not all last year, but if you can find ones that signed last year that would be cool, I'm actually interested.
Dessie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OakRaiders3828 wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:

What was the going rate last year though? Didn't Michael Griffin sign for $7+ million per year recently? Eric Berry gets $10 million, Weddle got $19 mil guaranteed and 8 per year, Bob Sanders got 7.5 per year not to long ago. So Sure, it's up there but not elite status IMO. Role gets 7.4 per year, Polamalu with 9.1 and Huff with 8. I'm sure there are others who make more.

Rhodes, Harper, Bethea?
#clueless
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
Dessie wrote:

There's no way i would say that because he'd be signing a much cheaper contract coming off a disappointing season now. And that's if we still wanted to keep him. We'd be free to do whatever we want with him right now.

But disregarding hindsight (Tollefson, Bartell Pat Lee sucking etc..) how would tagging him have affected us last year in terms of signing FA's/retaining our guys? What would the backlash of the fans be like if we tagged Branch, couldn't work out a deal and couldn't sign any other FA's because of it?

Last edited by OakRaiders3828 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OakRaiders3828 wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
Dessie wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:

True. True.

They just need a new defensive coordinator. You'd be crazy to say you wouldn't want Green Bays roster, so I don't believe you really mean that.

Many argue that had GB not lucked into Rodgers they'd be awful. I don't like their OL or their defense. My vision is just more long-term. Would I want a crap team with Rodgers or Brees? It'd be an interesting question. Maybe I'd rather have the Ravens or Steelers who are scrappy every year even when they are down. Idk.
Dessie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OakRaiders3828 wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
Dessie wrote:

But disregarding hindsight (Tollefson, Bartell Pat Lee sucking etc..) how would tagging him have affected us last year in terms of signing FA's? What would the backlash of the fans be like if we tagged Branch, couldn't work out a deal and couldn't sign any other FA's because of it?

This. We probably wouldn't have resigned Reece.
#clueless
Dessie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
Dessie wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:

True. True.

Many argue that had GB not lucked into Rodgers they'd be awful. I don't like their OL or their defense. My vision is just more long-term. Would I want a crap team with Rodgers or Brees? It'd be an interesting question. Maybe I'd rather have the Ravens or Steelers who are scrappy every year even when they are down. Idk.

Yeah obviously you don't know if you think the Steelers have a better roster than the Packers.
#clueless
oakdb36

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OakRaiders3828 wrote:

But disregarding hindsight (Tollefson, Bartell Pat Lee sucking etc..) how would tagging him have affected us last year in terms of signing FA's? What would the backlash of the fans be like if we tagged Branch, couldn't work out a deal and couldn't sign any other FA's because of it?

It's not about those signings sucking, it's about them being very minor in the grand scheme of things. Those are signings you can easily live without.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: