Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tommy Kelly expects release from Raiders
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dawsonleery

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Tommy Kelly expects release from Raiders Reply with quote

San Fransisco chronicle is reporting Kelly expects Raiders to release him and even says its time for the young guys Houston and Bryant to take over.

"The young guys are ready," Kelly said. "I did my part in helping bring Lamarr and Des along."

Kelly was reminded that Bryant, the fifth-year defensive tackle, is set to be a free agent.

"Yeah, I know that, but they would be crazy to let him go," Kelly said. "He can play anywhere on the line and he is only going to get better, especially if he is starting and playing more."

Tommy Kelly has been with the Oakland Raiders for 9 seasons as an undrafted player. He racked up 420 tackles, 34.5 sacks and 1int.
early43

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to admit that I'm somewhat surprised by his graciousness from those quotes.
Nodisrespect

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TK was here for a long time, originally made the team as a UDFA out of Mississippi state, had a pretty good career, he was pretty good from 2007-2011.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nodisrespect wrote:
TK was here for a long time, originally made the team as a UDFA out of Mississippi state, had a pretty good career, he was pretty good from 2007-2011.

Agreed. Kelly has been one of the most underappreciated player amongst Raider fans the last few years. Not quite sure why, honestly.

Compare those:
http://www.nfl.com/player/darnelldockett/2506115/profile
http://www.nfl.com/player/tommykelly/2505830/profile

This isn't necessarily to say they were on the same level but with the amount of hate Kelly has been getting, you'd thought he wouldn't come close to comparing to a 3 time pro bowler.
dawsonleery

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big changes coming on defense this off-season, its been long over due. With so many holes up front we'll see what kind of defense Reggie and Allen want. I'm very curious to see how they build this thing from the ground up.
agarcia34

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's time to part ways. Kelly said it best its time for the young guys to take over. After the release of Kelly then Oakland should have 10 million in cap space.
JTagg7754

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
Agreed. Kelly has been one of the most underappreciated player amongst Raider fans the last few years. Not quite sure why, honestly.

B/c he wasn't living up to his ridiculous contract he got. I know, not his fault but that would be my guess.

I never had a problem w/ Kelly but I never was his biggest supporter either.

PM sig requests.
ZoomWaffle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
Nodisrespect wrote:

Compare those:

This isn't necessarily to say they were on the same level but with the amount of hate Kelly has been getting, you'd thought he wouldn't come close to comparing to a 3 time pro bowler.

+1

Aside from stupid penalties and his giant contract (which was Al's fault), I really have nothing to complain about with him. Got some really good production from a guy that didnt even get drafted.

Silver&Black88 on the sig

La_Vader wrote:
I wouldn't trade Pryor for any prospect in this years draft. Quote me on that
Ro4DPoY

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoomWaffle wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
Nodisrespect wrote:

Compare those:

+1

Aside from stupid penalties and his giant contract (which was Al's fault), I really have nothing to complain about with him. Got some really good production from a guy that didnt even get drafted.

the penalties is what killed it, but I appreciated his production, as bad as our run d has always been he definitely was a part in keeping our sack production up there these last 3-4 years.

Been wanting to do this for a while now. Let's see what happens.
justwinbaby81

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys really don't know why people don't "appreciate" Tommy Kelly? You guys must be new.

Hi, welcome to the Oakland Raiders, home of the personal foul and worst run defense. Starring Tommy Kelly.

Yea, he had his moments years ago. He was a great UDFA find by Al Davis and a good pass rusher. Overall decent starter. But his bonehead plays cost us time and time again. You really don't remember that?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justwinbaby81 wrote:
You guys really don't know why people don't "appreciate" Tommy Kelly? You guys must be new.

Hi, welcome to the Oakland Raiders, home of the personal foul and worst run defense. Starring Tommy Kelly.

Yea, he had his moments years ago. He was a great UDFA find by Al Davis and a good pass rusher. Overall decent starter. But his bonehead plays cost us time and time again. You really don't remember that?
" It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday"
oakdb36

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justwinbaby81 wrote:

The scheme had a lot more to do with that than Tommy Kelly.
holyghost

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
justwinbaby81 wrote:

Yeesh. Scheme, scheme, scheme.... I hear alot of that around here. And to some degree it's true. SOME DEGREE. But to another large sum of a degree it's undisciplined physical specimens whose football skills are lacking in any scheme. Like Kelly, whose production plummeted in his worst year - you guessed it - in a modern scheme. He became a worse player in a better scheme. So I could say in opposition to this, that most or all of the players we have had, just lack the ability to execute a better scheme. And the bare bones scheme we ran was the most they were capable of on a football field. Or in other words, the past scheme hurt the team badly but helped these players look BETTER than they would have in a better scheme.

So it's not just scheme, nor is it more scheme than players. It's both.

Do we really know how many times the guy left his responsibility, play by play? We know what we saw, but we don't know how that compares with what he was SUPPOSED to do, play by play. But my guess is more often than not the guy dumped his gap in order to get up field. And it showed in the results...
oakdb36

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holyghost wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
justwinbaby81 wrote:

Yeesh. Scheme, scheme, scheme.... I hear alot of that around here. And to some degree it's true. SOME DEGREE. But to another large sum of a degree it's undisciplined physical specimens whose football skills are lacking in any scheme. Like Kelly, whose production plummeted in his worst year - you guessed it - in a modern scheme. He became a worse player in a better scheme. So I could say in opposition to this, that most or all of the players we have had, just lack the ability to execute a better scheme. And the bare bones scheme we ran was the most they were capable of on a football field. Or in other words, the past scheme hurt the team badly but helped these players look BETTER than they would have in a better scheme.

So it's not just scheme, nor is it more scheme than players. It's both.

Do we really know how many times the guy left his responsibility, play by play? We know what we saw, but we don't know how that compares with what he was SUPPOSED to do, play by play. But my guess is more often than not the guy dumped his gap in order to get up field. And it showed in the results...

You've probably heard Warren Sapp say 100 times, gap responsibility wasn't assigned in the Raiders D.
We've been lining up 2 UTs next to each other for most of the last decade.

Tommy Kelly didn't became a worse player in a better scheme. He didn't put up the sexy stats anymore because he was asked to stay home and keep his assignment. The Raiders run D was the best it had been in years with the same Tommy Kelly starting at NT.
101Raider

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
justwinbaby81 wrote:

I disagree, the scheme had nothing to do with Tommy Kelly making absolutely ridiculous decisions on the field. The worst part of it was he seemed to have a knack for personal fouls/encroachment penalties right after we had a 3rd down stop.

I see the scheme thing being quoted alot for Kelly's lack of production in the run game. However, bottom line is that Kelly is a reckless, undisciplined, penetrating defensive tackle.

On a side note our "scheme" changed right around 2004-2005 when Sapp and Kelly became our duo. If you look at our rosters in 2002 we had Parrella, Sam Adams and Rod Coleman. In 2003 we had Parrella, Coleman, Sean Gilbert and Stubblefield. We used to be a pretty heavy, run stuffing d-line before switching to the "double penetrating UT" game plan under Rob Ryan. Consequently, our defense has been pretty terrible stopping the run.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: