Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NYG Free Agency Rumblings/Thoughts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Save The Hero

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fracdaddy14 wrote:
Ok, here is what I'm hoping for the rest of the offseason by position. Will have to do a mock offseason.

QB- Extend Eli-te and resign a backup (David Carr, I guess?)

RB- Get a 3rd RB, a Wind to Wilson's Fire and Brown's Earth. There isn't much on the FA market so maybe a 4th-6th Round Pick. With a draft that isn't top heavy at RB but deep, a quality backup should fall.

WR- Other than resigning Cruz, get some backups. If DHB is too expensive (we are very limited cap wise), maybe resign Hixon, go after a Kevin Walter type. Draft or sign a UDFA to handle KR.

TE- Sign a cheaper vet. Ben Watson would be a great fit for us.

OL- Resign Boothe and maybe draft an early and late round OL. Look at Geoff Schwartz, Will Svitek, or the two Jets OG on the cheap. Maybe bring back Locklear and put him on the PUP as a mid-season injury replacement.

DL- Draft a UT type and use a very early pick on a DE to fill out our DL that will at least include Joseph, Jenkins, JPP, Tuck and Kiwi. Vance Walker as a FA?

LB- Sign a FA like Dansby, Nick Barnett, Brad Jones, and/or Durant as cheap as possible. Bring back Chase for depth and ST. Draft a mid-rnd LB like Gerald Hodges.

S- Draft a mid-rnd S and/or pick up another for depth. Gerald Sensbaugh from the Cowboys could come cheap and is decent. As might Michael Huff.

CB- Draft one around Rnd 2-3 that fits our scheme. Look at a vet for cheap that may want a chance at a ring. Antoine Winfield would be perfect, but Chris Owens and Captain Munnerlyn bring versatility, ST experience, and quality depth as well. Mike Jenkins, even on a prove-it contract might be out of our price range.

Even though we have restructured Webster, guys like him and Diehl still carry the same cap penalty number, so they can technically be cut just as easily then or now. Maybe after June 1?

Thoughts?

I'm hoping as prices start to come down, JR can get some bargains.

Don't know about Diehl, but Webster got guaranteed some more money for his restructure so he would cost more to cut. He's staying.

I agree if we can extend Eli. Anyone as a backup would do. Agree with you on bringing in another back. Torian might win that spot.

With WR I think we need a vet. I would love Dom back here.

I don't think we need a vet TE this year. Wouldn't mind one, but it is said that Mike Pope has a underrated tight end target in mind in this draft, so I think we might go with what we got and him.

Not a bad plan on oline. Would be okay with those moves. Maybe we can bring in another swing tackle also.

I think for Dline we need to go DE much more than inside. We have to give Kuhn, Austin and Jenkins a chance at UT. Linval is playing NT, so no need to invest too much more there.

Like the LB plan (if they are cheap enough). I think we can go LB earlier if the BPA is there.

Don't think we're going to be doing much at S and corner in free agent market. I think we may hit a CB in the draft though.

^Stone85 on the sig^
Acgott

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jennings to Vikings... So very strong chance we keep Cruz now
Gmen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people had the Titans taking Warmack at 10, but they gave Levitre a nice contract in free agency. Would love to see him fall.

Also, the Bills and Cardinals announced to the world that they will be taking a QB in round one by releasing Fitzpatrick and Kolb respectively. Geno Smith isn't getting past the Raiders at 3 or Eagles at 4 IMO, so I'm thinking they reach for Barkley and Nassib. That increases the likelihood that a good lineman falls to us at 19.

Guys that I would like at 19 :

OT : Joeckel, Fisher, Johnson
OG : Warmack, Cooper
DE : Jordan, Ansah, Carradine
DT : Floyd, Lotuluei, Richardson

That's 11 players. If 3 QBs go before 19, I like our odds of landing one of those guys.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
minutemancl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like a Giants scout said, Lane Johnson is my tackle.

Let me give you my personal opinion, on what I think has happened.
It all started with the release of the coke machine in Brandon Jacobs.
Vulcan_Prime

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:
Some people had the Titans taking Warmack at 10, but they gave Levitre a nice contract in free agency. Would love to see him fall.

Also, the Bills and Cardinals announced to the world that they will be taking a QB in round one by releasing Fitzpatrick and Kolb respectively. Geno Smith isn't getting past the Raiders at 3 or Eagles at 4 IMO, so I'm thinking they reach for Barkley and Nassib. That increases the likelihood that a good lineman falls to us at 19.

Guys that I would like at 19 :

OT : Joeckel, Fisher, Johnson
OG : Warmack, Cooper
DE : Jordan, Ansah, Carradine
DT : Floyd, Lotuluei, Richardson

That's 11 players. If 3 QBs go before 19, I like our odds of landing one of those guys.

That is a great point, lots of great talent will slide due to teams reaching for quarterbacks in the first round. Great spot for JR to be in at 19, just waiting for the next Prince to slide .. Laughing
bucsEST96

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
@giantsbuzztap: The Blue Screen >> Giants to visit with free-agent TE Brandon Myers http://t.co/hjRq7lHDr0
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had some real mixed feelings in regards to how the Giants have handled free agency thus far. I like their concept, signing vets to one year deals who don't cost a fortune. I also like the positions they chose to address. What I don't like, is the actual players they are signing. Here me out on this...

Now, let me preface this by signing that I absolutely love the signings of Cullen Jenkins and Josh Brown. Great players on small deals. I also have changed my views on the Aaron Ross pickup, and I now think it was a smart move. He comes in knowing the system, hungry, and only as depth. He could fill in as a starter for a game or two because of injury and not miss a beat. All three were solid signings at positions of need.

But it's the Ryan Mundy, Louis Murphy, Dan Connor pickups that have me scratching my head. Why jump on these guys in the first few days of free agency? If you think these guys are gonna go for vet minimum, then why sign them so fast? There is tons of talent out there at each of these three positions that could possibly go for the vet minimum after testing the market.

At safety, there are quality players out there like Rhodes, Mikell, Woodson, Reed, Zbikowski, Pollard, Landry, and Sensabaugh who could possibly end up taking close to the vet minimum. They rushed to sign Mundy, who has been compared to CC Brown on these forums by Steelers fans. Patience would have been nice.

At wide receiver, they got Louis Murphy, who can't catch a pass, when there is someone like Heyward-Bey out there who Reese really liked in the draft. There's nothing that Murphy does that Heyward-Bey can't, plus he'd be a solid returner.

And at linebacker, I really don't hate the Connor pickup, I just am worried about him in coverage and being an injury liability. With solid vets like Dansby, DJ Williams, Daryl Smith, Burnett, Brad Jones, etc. out there, be patient and take your chances of getting someone better for just as cheap.

Giants are one of the top-of-the-line franchises that can influence a veteran to come play for a smaller contract if they get an opportunity to win a championship. They need to take more advantage of that. Now overall, I'm still happy so far with free agency (although losing KP to the Eagles really hurt), but with the buyer's market out there, I think they could have gotten some better players if they were just more patient.
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and as for Brandon Myers, here's something that caught my eye on PFF. Of all free agent TEs, Myers has the worst rating at -14.6. He must have been doing something seriously wrong when blocking to register that score after producing a 79 catch, 800 yard season. I know Pope is a fantastic coach, but Myers might not be fixable. I'd still bring him in because the Giants need someone at TE who can keep the defense honest, but that really worries me. Losing Bennett and Bradshaw as blockers might be potentially disastrous for this offense.
mattbags2313

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HakeemTheDream wrote:
Oh, and as for Brandon Myers, here's something that caught my eye on PFF. Of all free agent TEs, Myers has the worst rating at -14.6. He must have been doing something seriously wrong when blocking to register that score after producing a 79 catch, 800 yard season. I know Pope is a fantastic coach, but Myers might not be fixable. I'd still bring him in because the Giants need someone at TE who can keep the defense honest, but that really worries me. Losing Bennett and Bradshaw as blockers might be potentially disastrous for this offense.

I'd love meyers. Pascoe is a fine blocker, and he would be our TE thats actually a threat to catch the ball. He had a good year as a weapon with Palmer at the helm. Now its Eli's turn.
minutemancl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Giants MO this free agency period has been the same as every other- fill the roster with the best players the cap allows. Don't know why some of you are surprised about how we've spent and who we have acquired.

We got rid of dead weight, guys that weren't going to help us win again or had younger, better replacements. Boley, Canty, Bradshaw. We took care of our own by resigning Beatty and tendering nearly everyone we could. Then, it was just a matter of filling the roster the best we could. The Giants don't shell out to get a big name at one position. We got solid guys or guys with a lot of potential to fill the holes in our roster.

The reason for that? We are one of the best teams at drafting. When we go into the draft with no holes, we can draft BPA, which is what the Giants love to do.

ESKY008

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

minutemancl wrote:
The Giants MO this free agency period has been the same as every other- fill the roster with the best players the cap allows. Don't know why some of you are surprised about how we've spent and who we have acquired.

We got rid of dead weight, guys that weren't going to help us win again or had younger, better replacements. Boley, Canty, Bradshaw. We took care of our own by resigning Beatty and tendering nearly everyone we could. Then, it was just a matter of filling the roster the best we could. The Giants don't shell out to get a big name at one position. We got solid guys or guys with a lot of potential to fill the holes in our roster.

The reason for that? We are one of the best teams at drafting. When we go into the draft with no holes, we can draft BPA, which is what the Giants love to do.

Amen brother. Except LG only depth is really needed
GmenSeattle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESKY008 wrote:
minutemancl wrote:

Yea I've been saying for awhile that our first pick is going to be in trenches unless someone falls to us (Millner, but that's not happening) Razz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GmenSeattle wrote:
ESKY008 wrote:
minutemancl wrote:

Yea I've been saying for awhile that our first pick is going to be in trenches unless someone falls to us (Millner, but that's not happening) Razz

I'm gonna say it... best free agency yet. We filled all holes besides a weak guard position (but can get an above average guard in the third round.)

I like what we did. A lot of one year prove it deals. Gives us the option to resign wjen cap goes up next year

^^^ Huge props Rase on the Sig!
minutemancl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be pretty happy taking Cooper or Warmack in the first. Other than them though, I wouldn't reach for anyone else. I'd be ok taking Barrett Jones, Warford in round 2 or Bakhtieri, Brian Winters in round 3. We have a lot of options for guard. I'm not worried.

As for the first round, we can afford to go BPA now. If Trufant falls, I think he is going to be the pick. He dominated Senior Bowl week and has a swagger that pretty much no one on our team has.

Rase

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevie Brown is back with the Giants Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: