Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NYG Free Agency Rumblings/Thoughts
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:14 am    Post subject: NYG Free Agency Rumblings/Thoughts Reply with quote

Instead of having new threads on every single rumor and who everyone thinks we should sign, I figured one thread would do the trick. I figure people could post anything they want about free agency here. Things like rumors of Giants interest, who you think we should go after, how someone got ridiculously overpaid, etc. All official signings deserve their own thread, but this should do well for rumors and whatnot.

Anyways, here is one rumor I saw the other day that is really intriguing:

Adam Schefter wrote:
Seahawks, Giants, Jets and Dolphins are among teams that have called to discuss free agent Safety Charles Woodson per @JosinaAnderson.

I have mixed feelings about this interest. First of all, Woodson has lost all of his coverage skills and would be strictly and early down safety and third down nickel corner. While he would fit perfectly with the three safety look, signing Woodson would essentially mean the end of KP as a Giant. I also don't like the fact that Woodson would be a one or two year stopgap at the position.

Anyways, I figured I'd name a few guys who I would really love to see the Giants to go after. Keep in mind that the Giants are currently $10.5m under the cap after the Webster restructuring, meaning that they may be able to make some moves in free agency, albeit small ones. Or they could elect to bring back a combo of Boothe/Bennett/KP with that extra spending money. Either way, here's who I want to see in Giant blue:

1. Daryl Smith, LB - Giants desperately need a LB, and Smith is an ideal fit with the team. He has tons of experience in a 4-3 and can play pretty much any spot. Would be a great veteran presence for the young LBs on the team. He's probably on the expensive side, but he is 31 and coming off a season-ending injury. Maybe the Giants could get him for a friendly short-term deal to play for a contender.

2. Geoff Schwartz, OL - I just don't understand why this guy never garners interest in free agency. He had a serious hip injury a few years ago, but before and after that he has been a successful offensive linemen. He can play LG, RG, and RT which is great because the Giants need starters at two of those three positions. He will come cheap because he was a rotational player for the Vikings last year. I think you could plug him in at LG and forget all about Boothe. He's got a brother in Cleveland who did very well as a rookie last year. I think this would be a great underrated signing.

3. Ben Watson, TE - Watson is a veteran TE who could come in and be a reliable target for Eli right away. Watson has the ability to work the seam route, Eli's favorite for his TEs (and something Marty B really struggled with last year). Watson is in the latter stage of his career, so I really think he would be a cheap signing. He has seen both sides of the NFL as he was a contender on the Patriots early on and then stuck in Cleveland for the past few years. He needs one more shot at a title. He could also be a great mentor for Adrien Robinson.

4. John Abraham, DE - Abraham is probably seeking more money than the Giants are looking for, but he would be a perfect replacement for Osi. Coming off of a 10 sack, 6 forced fumble season, Abraham can still get it done at his old age. He had trouble staying healthy last year and needs his snaps limited, but what better place to get into a DL rotation with than the Giants? He could fill the void Osi left right away. Teams would definitely fear the JPP-Tuck-Kiwi-Abraham lineup coming at them. Also, Abraham was a Jet for most of his career, so I assume he would like to be back in NY to end his career (with the better team this time).

5. Cullen Jenkins, DT - Jenkins already visited the Giants and left without a contract, so this is probably not very likely. But Jenkins is exactly what the Giants should be looking for to replace Canty. Jenkins has had a solid few years with the Eagles and was a key part of the Packers defense before that. He can provide a pass rush and hold his own versus the run. He should be relatively cheap, but who knows.
minutemancl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea with this thread.

I've heard grumblings that link the Giants to nearly every FA, but that's because Coughlin and Reese let nothing slip and beat writers need something to put on paper.

The Woodson rumor is the one I most believe though. Would be nice to have a bonafide nickel corner for a while and he could teach Jayron a thing or 2.

I'd rather the Giants lock up Cruz and Bennett though than go after any other FAs. We have a track record of underpaying our own and overpaying others.

One thing I can guarantee though, it won't be another Boley/Bernard/Canty FA period this year.

Let me give you my personal opinion, on what I think has happened.
It all started with the release of the coke machine in Brandon Jacobs.
Gmen4ev

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brought this up earlier :poutyface: Laughing

as for Woodson I dislike signing him, I feel like he would be a distraction on the field (trying to be the leader we dont need) and he would cost too much where that money could go to someone better, like KP ...

Bolieve in Masai
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how you guys feel about Incarcerated Bob as a source, but he just threw up some rumors on Twitter I figured I'd pass along.

@incarceratedbob wrote:
Kind of under the radar WR Julian Edelman has drawn interest early from multiple teams - NY Giants have called and that's real interesting as they have issues with pending RFA Victor Cruz so maybe they see Julian as a bit of insurance. Redskins very interested in the multi-purpose WR/KR they also have placed a call early. Buffalo Bills placed a call but not serious yet, they seem more focus on defense early but let the agent know they will monitor his situation as FA heats up.

@incarceratedbob wrote:
As IBN reported yesterday, hard hitting Jets - S LaRon Landry would be a target of the Bills and his agent has been contacted and already is in "Serious" talks with Bills to stay in the division and reunite with his D-cord from Jets last year. Three other teams have also expressed interest in Landry --- Giants have called ' Colts made an early call ' SD Chargers also like Landry a bit and IBN is hearing they will call today..

Both passages come from here: http://ibnsportswrap.com/article.php?articleID=120#

Personally, I don't think either of these guys would be wise spending for the Giants. Edelman does absolutely nothing for me. I highly doubt he would be a reliable target for Eli and would provide little more than special teams play. As for Landry, NO thank you. Always injured, always goes for the big hit, can't cover. Not my type of safety. In fact, I'd rather go after his brother, Dawan, who was released by the Jags yesterday.

Things should really get interesting over the next three days of this "legal" tampering period. I don't understand why the NFL would have this, but they do, so let's enjoy it!
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

minutemancl wrote:
Great idea with this thread.

I've heard grumblings that link the Giants to nearly every FA, but that's because Coughlin and Reese let nothing slip and beat writers need something to put on paper.

The Woodson rumor is the one I most believe though. Would be nice to have a bonafide nickel corner for a while and he could teach Jayron a thing or 2.

I'd rather the Giants lock up Cruz and Bennett though than go after any other FAs. We have a track record of underpaying our own and overpaying others.

One thing I can guarantee though, it won't be another Boley/Bernard/Canty FA period this year.

I don't think the Giants should be worrying about Cruz right now. Slap on the RFA tender and if someone wants to throw big money his way, then worry about getting it under the cap. But the Giants have too many other needs to put significant dollars into a player who most likely will be on the team regardless next year.

As for Bennett, I'm about 99% sure he is a goner. Giants don't prioritize the position, meaning they don't spend their money there. Remember, 4 yr/$16m was too much for the Giants to bring Boss back on. Bennett is going to get more than $4m annually. Jared Cook is supposedly getting offers somewhere between $6-10m already, and him and Bennett are the best TEs on the market. Not good. If you saw Bennett's recent tweets on the issue, you would be even more inclined to think he is gone. Although brief, I really enjoyed his time as a Giant. He is a great quote and entertaining person. One of the few (potential) ex-Giants who I will continue to follow on Twitter.

And yeah, I don't see the Giants spending $87m on free agents like they did for Canty/Boley/Bernard. But wouldn't having all that money be nice for the free agents this year...
minutemancl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

incarceratedbob has no more inside information than you or I do. He's a fraud, and has been outed as one multiple times.

That said, I'd be all for bringing in Edelman and Landry, if we can somehow get that done. Edelman is the most versatile player in the NFL. Plus he's got a swagger to him that I really think this team needs. Is he a legitimate WR threat? Not really. And as for Landry, he's a hard hitting, in the box safety- something we'd be missing with KP gone and TT's physicality surrounded with question marks. Stevie Brown is a mid fielder and Rolle is good all around, but not strong enough to play up like Landry can.

ESKY008

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too be 100% honest. I would prefer Cruz to get signed from us and get the first. With this draft I believe we will end up with 4-5 major contributors. Especially with 3 picks in the top 50 picks. Our FFMD plan worked to a tee.
minutemancl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESKY008 wrote:
Too be 100% honest. I would prefer Cruz to get signed from us and get the first. With this draft I believe we will end up with 4-5 major contributors. Especially with 3 picks in the top 50 picks. Our FFMD plan worked to a tee.

I'd be ok with Cruz getting taken from us if we can land Bailey like we did in FFMD. Everyone is doing and has done a phenomenal job on that so far (STH).

Gmen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure why we'd be interested in either Landry. I like him, but I feel pretty comfortable with our safety situation even with KP possibly leaving. We're fine between Rolle, Brown and Hill.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
Save The Hero

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread. I don't think we are going to be agressive this year with free agents. Mostly resign who we can and get a couple of cheap veterans at S, OT, LB and DT imo.

^Stone85 on the sig^
Vulcan_Prime

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately putting a first round tender on cruz alone costs around 3 Million. Signing all or draft picks will also cost us an additional 4 million. That already takes off 7 million from the 10.5. Million, and that is without putting 2nd round tenders on stevie and andre brown which takes away another 4 mil actually putting us over the cap by 500k. We need to make more cap maneuvering moves in order to sign even 1 of our own players such as phillips. Don't think we can afford any other free agents.
ESKY008

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We still have 9 guys in our top 51 who prob won't make the team. That's about another $4mill. Cutting Diehl or restructuring is another nearly $5m. So there's another $9mill on top after RFA.

That's before Snee, Eli, Rolle and Tuck who I think should all take pay cuts. I think financially we are fine to have a go in FA
Kodaraw

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bennett may not actually be gone... Reports are that TB will not resign his brother. Is another team willing to sign both Bennett's or will TBU take that hometown discount to stay in NY? Maybe we can get Michael for cheap too... I still say Diehl needs to go.
Acgott

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not post Bob... It just confuses everyone
NYGiantsman10

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vulcan_Prime wrote:
Unfortunately putting a first round tender on cruz alone costs around 3 Million. Signing all or draft picks will also cost us an additional 4 million. That already takes off 7 million from the 10.5. Million, and that is without putting 2nd round tenders on stevie and andre brown which takes away another 4 mil actually putting us over the cap by 500k. We need to make more cap maneuvering moves in order to sign even 1 of our own players such as phillips. Don't think we can afford any other free agents.

Geez hearing that really puts things in perspective. Oh well free agency isn't the path to the Super Bowl. Ask Philly and Washington Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: