Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Free Agent News - Card Related - Targets etc
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a little bit

Probably clearing house of all the players with attitudes and who could cause problems.

Clearing cap space for next year.

Myriad of reasons
DirtyDez

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuckyNumber11 wrote:
Do you think that the reason we cut Rhodes and signed Bell might be becaus Arians and co really like Bethel and want to see him be the starter in the near future?

Rhodes wanted out according to MJ.

The Rebuild Has Begun...
love2theOLINE

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDez wrote:
LuckyNumber11 wrote:
Do you think that the reason we cut Rhodes and signed Bell might be becaus Arians and co really like Bethel and want to see him be the starter in the near future?

Rhodes wanted out according to MJ.

said Rhodes was not looking for an extension ad wanted to test the market next year.

thanks to sandwhich on the sig
SuperFlyTNT

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the moves it looks like we've at least got an eye toward major improvement not this season but next. With that in mind does anyone see any harm in cutting both Daryn Colledge and Adam Snyder going into this season? Would that just be too much of a void of veteran leadership for the younger players this year?
DirtyDez

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperFlyTNT wrote:
With all the moves it looks like we've at least got an eye toward major improvement not this season but next. With that in mind does anyone see any harm in cutting both Daryn Colledge and Adam Snyder going into this season? Would that just be too much of a void of veteran leadership for the younger players this year?

Veteran leadership means little when those veterans are terrible. In the end I think we keep Snyder around cause he can backup multiple positions including center. Colledge off the books would be huge for 2014. That'd total about 20m of "dead money" for the team as a whole right DJ/Khodder?

Hopefully a OG is taken in 1 or 3 and a center in the 3rd. Pass-rusher with the other.

The Rebuild Has Begun...
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havent done the sums on it, but you wouldnt be too far off

One year of pain, both on and off the field, clean slate in 2014 going forward.
DirtyDez

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/arizona-cardinals/cap-hit/

109M without the contracts for Alexander, Brinkley and Rashad Johnson. Cap is around 123M so those 3 unlisted guys plus our draft picks should fill up that remaining 14M left...

The Rebuild Has Begun...
SuperFlyTNT

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just thinking of veteran leadership mostly in terms of off the field stuff - for example Daryn Colledge's taking Nate Potter under his wing - I believe they actually worked out together before Nate was even drafted.

Just the need to have a veteran showing the young guys how to conduct themselves off the field - how to work and prepare. Clearly you're right though, they were not showing leadership with good play on the field.

So the pain this year if we cut both of them is trying to fill both of their slots on the roster with 450K of savings and what we have left under the cap - right now 123M - 108.7M = 14.3M - and like Dez said most of that should be filled by rookies and our 3 unlisted contracts.

Realistically to me that means we fill those spots with rookies or young players this year - I'd like to think we get at least one very good guard prospect to fill one side and there's a battle for the other spot. Kelemete will be getting his first full round of offseason activities and could challenge.

So what that buys us vs. the other options is the following:

1. Salary cap 2014 - dead money for Colledge = 4.55M, Snyder = 3M - so if we held onto both of them this year then decided to cut them next year, we'd be holding onto 7.55M of dead money needing to be disposed of then.

2. We get to see young guys prove themselves under fire the way we did last season. We all know this can be ugly - but in the end this was a great situation for Nate Potter and Bobbie Massie.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperFlyTNT wrote:
I was just thinking of veteran leadership mostly in terms of off the field stuff - for example Daryn Colledge's taking Nate Potter under his wing - I believe they actually worked out together before Nate was even drafted.

Probably because they are both Boise State guys.
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beat me to it, probably as NZ is 2 hrs ahead in the time zones
SuperFlyTNT

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes - that makes sense - man, why didn't we end up with Doug Martin too Razz . Potter should be fine if we cut Colledge - A-dub actually was the bigger positive influence mentoring young guys that we're going to miss. Rashad Johnson made a lot of progress using A-dub's off-season workout routine.

If it was up to me I'd cut both of these guy's and be happy going into next year with an extra 7.55M. See what we've got in Kelemete and others.
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on draft and other roster cuts, it could still happen.

I am sure it has been discussed at FO level, take a bath in 2013, start afresh.

If we draft 1 Guard or 2, then I think Synder is definately gone, College might stay another year, $4 mil is not that much dead money.
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are slim pickings in the FA pool that help us, really we are stuck with what we have unless we either draft them or make a trade that works for us.
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read a few things that say that IF the Raiders cut Palmer we are HIGHLY likely to try and sign him. I haven't seen any of our mainstream Cards guys (Jurecki and Somers) say anything about it, but its just a rumor at this point

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuckyNumber11 wrote:
I've read a few things that say that IF the Raiders cut Palmer we are HIGHLY likely to try and sign him. I haven't seen any of our mainstream Cards guys (Jurecki and Somers) say anything about it, but its just a rumor at this point

I don't see the team going that way, already paying enough to Hoyer/Stanton without having the likes of Skelton and Lindley still on the roster and a likely rookie to be added to the mix.

Either way he is still nothing but a stopgap.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 19 of 20

Jump to: