Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What was the redskins worst move all time?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slateman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haynesworth
Heath Shuler
Bruce Smith
Deon Sanders
TheGreeK1973

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think hands down is Synder buying the team. I think finally the guy learned his lesson but if we had an owner that knew he needed football people to run his team is essential to winning we would have done much better starting with 1999.

As moves we didn't sign Champ Bailey to a big contract because we gave the money to Arrington. Terrible move IMO Arrington was the most overated player since Synder took over the team. Then we gave up Pierce and Clark and we got AA to replace Clark. WTF? Imagine having Clark, Bailey, Pierce, and ST on the field at the same time. OMG that D secondary would rock.
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGreeK1973 wrote:
I think hands down is Synder buying the team. I think finally the guy learned his lesson but if we had an owner that knew he needed football people to run his team is essential to winning we would have done much better starting with 1999.

As moves we didn't sign Champ Bailey to a big contract because we gave the money to Arrington. Terrible move IMO Arrington was the most overated player since Synder took over the team. Then we gave up Pierce and Clark and we got AA to replace Clark. WTF? Imagine having Clark, Bailey, Pierce, and ST on the field at the same time. OMG that D secondary would rock.
ahhhh there ya go! That's the answer. To think we were very close to keeping it in the Cooke family and if Jack Kent Cooke had just left it in the family to his son John, we would have never had Snyder.

I don't think Arrington was overrated, he turned around an entire season for us when Marty was here. Champ left for many reasons. He had an affair going on and he wife said they had to get a divorce if he didn't leave and champ was done with the way Snyder was handling the team, he wanted out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
skinsfanLA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the worst decision the Redskins ever made.

The entire Washington Redskins 1992 Draft:

1 - Desmond Howard WR - Possibly one of the worst draft pics the Skins ever made. People who were on the sidelines for his first practice said they knew immediately that he wasn't going to pan out.
2 - Shane Collins DE - Played 30 Games in 3 years, started in 10 - 0 Tackles, 1 Sack, 0 Int, 0 Forced Fumbles.
3 - Paul Siever OG - Played 2 years, played in 0 Games
4 - Chris Hakel QB - Played 2 years in NFL, 1 for Skins. Played in 0 games in his career.
6 - Ray Rowe TE - Played in 4 games over 2 years. 0 catches, 0 yards, 0 rushing
7 - Calvin Holmes DB - This may be my favorite stats page on NFL.com
8 - Darryl Moore OG - Played 12 games in NFL, 0 Catches, 0 yards, 0 rushing. Then played for Amsterdam in NFLE, also 0 catches, 0 yards and 0 rushing.
9 - Boone Powell LB - Played 1 season, didn't see the field. Never played again.
10 - Tony Baker LB - Played in 8 games, started 2. Only in NFL for 1 season. 0 stats.
11 - Terry Smith WR - I literally know nothing about him and can't find a player card on him.
12 - Matt Elliott (Mr. Irrelevant) C - Had the best career of any of the draftees this season except for Desmond Howard. He played 16 Games for us in 1992 and was cut the next offseason. Was then picked up off the street by the Carolina Panthers in their inaugural season and was a starter for 2.5 years.

This is the draft that started the long spiral down the dumper. We only kept Desmond Howard for longer than 2 seasons and he was the only guy to play in more than 16 games for us.

I posit that this draft single handedly crushed the Redskins for the next 4/5 seasons. It's crazy to think that we had 11 picks and only 2/3 of the guys played more than one year for us and only 2 of those guys ever played in the NFL for longer than 3 years. None of them were Redskins for longer than 3 years....CRAZY.

Now, I know the Redskins won the Super Bowl the season before, and they had all of the "tallent" they needed at the time, but to draft 11 guys who were on the team for under 3 seasons each is horrible.

There's noone in this draft who had any major contribution to the Skins at all. In total, this draft added up to these stats (for the Skins):

118 Games Dressed for Skins
35 Starts for Skins

Passing:
0 Comp, 0 Att, 0 Yds, 0 TD, 0 Int, 0 Fum

Receiving:
66 Rec - 1,033 Yards - 5 TD

Rushing:
6 Att - 35 yards - 0 TD

Defense:
Tackles 1 Sack - 0 Int - 0 Forced Fumbles

WHAT??? Those are the COMBINED stats (as Redskins) for all 11 guys we drafted in 1992. We didn't keep anyone for long, we didn't try to develop any of our guys. I guess you could say that we dumped dead weight as soon as we realized they sucked, but it was a horrendous draft all around.

My runner up is the 2003 Draft, mainly because we only had 3 picks. Those three picks:

2 - Taylor Jacobs
3 - Derrick Dockery
7 - Gibran Hamdan

At least our 2nd and 3rd rounders were contributors for a few years and played in the NFL for a few years after the Skins. Neither guy was worth the pick. This is the worst draft in the Dan Snyder Era for sure, and runner up for worst decision the Redskins ever made. We essentially drafted a Bad WR, a Journeyman Backup Lineman and a Career Backup QB.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Ahhhh the old "unnamed source". It's been way too long, my very credible friend!
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skinsfanLA wrote:

My runner up is the 2003 Draft, mainly because we only had 3 picks. Those three picks:

2 - Taylor Jacobs
3 - Derrick Dockery
7 - Gibran Hamdan

At least our 2nd and 3rd rounders were contributors for a few years and played in the NFL for a few years after the Skins. Neither guy was worth the pick. This is the worst draft in the Dan Snyder Era for sure, and runner up for worst decision the Redskins ever made. We essentially drafted a Bad WR, a Journeyman Backup Lineman and a Career Backup QB.
I don't really agree with this. Wasn't this the year we traded our 1st and other picks for The Jets RFAs Laverneus Coles, Randy Thomas and John Hall.

Don't you have to include those 3 as part of that draft? And while Coles didn't stay long, he played well while he was here and we were able to trade him back to the jets in 2005 to get Santana Moss who's still going in the league and Coles has been long gone. Randy Thomas was with us for 7 seasons, playing a major part in 2 playoff runs as our best guard who paved the way for CP, and John Hall had 4 seasons for us.

Also, Dockery was a starter for us for 3 seasons and a starter for the Bills for 2 seasons. I'd hardly call him a journeyman back up lineman when he was in his prime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SeanTayorsaPIMP

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firing Marty after his first season where they finished 8-3 after starting 0-5. He made that team competitive even though they probably had the least amount talent of any Redskins team I've ever watched. Snyder then went on the hire Spurrier and we all know how that went.

mike23md on the sig!
skinsfanLA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
skinsfanLA wrote:

2 - Taylor Jacobs
3 - Derrick Dockery
7 - Gibran Hamdan

I don't really agree with this. Wasn't this the year we traded our 1st and other picks for The Jets RFAs Laverneus Coles, Randy Thomas and John Hall.

Don't you have to include those 3 as part of that draft? And while Coles didn't stay long, he played well while he was here and we were able to trade him back to the jets in 2005 to get Santana Moss who's still going in the league and Coles has been long gone. Randy Thomas was with us for 7 seasons, playing a major part in 2 playoff runs as our best guard who paved the way for CP, and John Hall had 4 seasons for us.

Also, Dockery was a starter for us for 3 seasons and a starter for the Bills for 2 seasons. I'd hardly call him a journeyman back up lineman when he was in his prime.

Dockery was a starter, but he was only a starter for us because our OL was in shambles post Steve Superior. He went to the Bills and was cut the next season, after being massively overpaid in a free agent market with only a few OL available.

I've always liked him, but even in his prime he wouldn't have started on 25 of 32 NFL Teams and definitely wouldn't start on a team with a halfway decent line. Hence "Journeyman" but I can see how someone would disagree with the "Backup" part because he did start for us for a couple of years.

I did say in my post that Dock and Jacobs were starters and played for us for a few years.

I guess you could include the Jetskins in the Draft, but I was talking specifically about the picks. It doesn't help that we only had 3.

But, you can't say our actual draft that year was good just because we traded all of our picks for players. That's similar to people saying we only traded 2 firsts and a second for RGIII when really we traded 3 firsts and 1 second for 1 first.

I wasn't talking about the entire '03 Offseason, just the draft.

If you include those guys the '03 offseason wasn't a bust. Randy Thomas was a great pickup, and Coles did pave the way for Moss. Coles was also the best WR on those Redskins Teams (not saying much) he was a #2 WR playing as the #1, he also was always injured with "turf toe". The best thing Coles ever did for us was get traded back to the Jets. You can't give him props for the play of Moss.

Thomas and Hall on the other hand were great.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Ahhhh the old "unnamed source". It's been way too long, my very credible friend!
skinsfanLA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeanTayorsaPIMP wrote:
Firing Marty after his first season where they finished 8-3 after starting 0-5. He made that team competitive even though they probably had the least amount talent of any Redskins team I've ever watched. Snyder then went on the hire Spurrier and we all know how that went.

True, Firing Marty is a great answer. The firing of Marty paved the way for Danny's Butt Boy Vinnie to come back. It also paved the way for Superior, which led to the dismissal of Stephen Davis. Davis was a solid player for 2/3 more years, we could have kept him and had a really punishing RB Duo in Davis and Portis for Gibbs II.

I think the best answer to this entire thread is "Re-Hiring Vinnie" because the Skins finally got rid of him, we got to 8-8, and things were looking up when BOOM....... Vincenzo is back and we are right back in the dumper.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skinsfanLA wrote:
I posit that this draft single handedly crushed the Redskins for the next 4/5 seasons.

Well, the 1992 draft was really bad. What made it doubly bad was that the salary cap and free agency started started in 1994, when most of these guys were gone.

However, we had horrid drafts for most of the late eighties and early nineties.

Take 1988:
We had eleven picks. We got Chip Lohmiller and Stan Humphries (who we traded 3 years later). We also drafted Mike Oliphant and Jamie Morris (a pair of RBs who combined for 275 carries and 904 yards for their career). The other seven guys? They don't have NFL.com profiles.

So, the only good long term gain out of that draft was a kicker.

1989? Ten picks, and at least six of the guys have a NFL.com page. Surprisingly, the back half of that draft was somewhat fruitful, getting us A.J. Johnson (a 6th round DB, who lasted seven years, six with us), Mark Schlereth (10th round G, twelve years, six with us), and Jimmie Johnson (12th round blocking TE, 10 seasons, three with us). Only problem was that A.J. and "Stink" would be gone once free agency hit. The other three were out of the league by 1992.

I could keep going, but the vast majority of the guys who were hits were either cut too soon (Keenan McCardell, Frank Wycheck) or gone once free agency started. And our hit ratio wasn't that good to begin with.

However, how is it that no one mentioned Andre Johnson? No, not the WR, but the offensive tackle out Penn State. Drafted in the first round in 1996, we traded up to get him at 30th overall (gave up a third round pick). He never played a down for the Redskins, was cut after his rookie season, signed by the Dolphins (didn't play a down for them either), then the Lions and then played three games before bombing out of the league.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andre_Johnson_%28offensive_lineman%29
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
skinsfanLA wrote:
I posit that this draft single handedly crushed the Redskins for the next 4/5 seasons.

Well, the 1992 draft was really bad. What made it doubly bad was that the salary cap and free agency started started in 1994, when most of these guys were gone.

Take 1988:
We had eleven picks. We got Chip Lohmiller and Stan Humphries (who we traded 3 years later). We also drafted Mike Oliphant and Jamie Morris (a pair of RBs who combined for 275 carries and 904 yards for their career). The other seven guys? They don't have NFL.com profiles.

1989? Ten picks, and at least six of the guys have a NFL.com page. Surprisingly, the back half of that draft was somewhat fruitful, getting us A.J. Johnson (a 6th round DB, who lasted seven years, six with us), Mark Schlereth (10th round G, twelve years, six with us), and Jimmie Johnson (12th round blocking TE, 10 seasons, three with us). Only problem was that A.J. and "Stink" would be gone once free agency hit. The other three were out of the league by 1992.

I could keep going, but the vast majority of the guys who were hits were either cut too soon (Keenan McCardell, Frank Wycheck) or gone once free agency started. And our hit ratio wasn't that good to begin with.

However, how is it that no one mentioned Andre Johnson? No, not the WR, but the offensive tackle out Penn State. Drafted in the first round in 1996, we traded up to get him at 30th overall (gave up a third round pick). He never played a down for the Redskins, was cut after his rookie season, signed by the Dolphins (didn't play a down for them either), then the Lions and then played three games before bombing out of the league.

Look at the top post on the 2nd page. He was the first guy I mentioned.

Also I believe we included Oliphant in a trade for Earnest Byner, IIRC.

As for worst move of all time I think I have my winner...

Jack Kent Cooke not passing the team to John Kent Cooke and instead putting it up for the highest bidder after his death.

Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
Woz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:

My apologies for that.

Quote:

Huh. Well, that was definitely a poor move on the Browns part. Still, Byner needed to get out of Cleveland.

Quote:

Jack Kent Cooke not passing the team to John Kent Cooke and instead putting it up for the highest bidder after his death.

*shrugs* We don't know that Cooke the younger would have been any better. The only thing we probably know is that he wouldn't have been as impetuous as Snyder was in the early years (most of the hate/ridicule is from that time frame, with only the Zorn debacle as his later mistake (Haynesworthless is on Cerrato)).
Dashing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worst move:

Dashing and the redskins fans from the 90s-2000 era
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
skinsfanLA wrote:

Take 1988:

you mean after Bethard left town and Casserly was had almost all control of the drafts?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charley_Casserly#section_1

Quote:
Elevated to General Manager in 1989, Casserly sustained the Redskins' history of uncovering high-quality players in the later rounds of the draft.
too me Casserly was a great scout, average general manager. He won the Super Bowl but that was with a lot of the players that Bobby Bethard had brought in when Charlie was a scout or Bethard's assistant
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:

My apologies for that.

Quote:

Huh. Well, that was definitely a poor move on the Browns part. Still, Byner needed to get out of Cleveland.

Quote:

*shrugs* We don't know that Cooke the younger would have been any better. The only thing we probably know is that he wouldn't have been as impetuous as Snyder was in the early years (most of the hate/ridicule is from that time frame, with only the Zorn debacle as his later mistake (Haynesworthless is on Cerrato)).
Yep, that's definitely true. It was after Byner fumbled away the Browns chance to go to the Super Bowl and play for us (I think) or maybe it was the next year. I was 8 or 9 and its when I really started to get into football and realize who the players were and stuff. My grandfather and some cousins were/are huge Browns fans and as the saying goes in ohio ("nothin could be finer than a fumble from Ernest Bynner") Laughing That play sucked for Cle but the trade to get rid of Byner was worse and it seemed the browns started to go downhill after they traded him.

I do have a redskins poster with Mike Oliphant on it, which my dad got me on my first of Many trips to the hall of game from when I was 8 or 9. I remember being so upset when we traded Oliphant, ha! I was young kid, Didn't know any better but I remember Oliphant flashing some on kickoffs as a rookie or second year player and I liked it.

As for John Kent Cooke. The difference between he and Snyder is exactly what you mentioned. Cooke wouldn't have had his hands in the cookie jar, especially not in 99 and 00 when Snyder and Cerrato destroyed a nfce division and playoff winning (nearly nfccg attending team). Casserly (who had finally figured out the new drafting and FA era after a decade of getting a lot wrong) would have been kept, Norv would have been kept for a few more years until he was just not progressing the team after we had won the div in 1999 and then come back with the same team the next two years and not won or something. We would have had continutiy the way we do now and the way we had in 05 after making the playoffs. Everything would have been different.

In 2000 I'm not sure how much would have been different, we had a lot of bad injuries that year like Michael Westbrook tearing his Acl. Still thought Norv wouldn't have been the only coach in NFL history to basically be fired in front of his team by a stuck little prick of an owner basically at a halftime game in Dallas stadium when we still could have won the game and could have made the playoffs. I doubt John Kent Cooke would have went in to our lockeroom and yelled at his coach in front of the players like that at half and make the head coach look like the smallest person on the planet in the biggest game of the year.

I forget what Snyder suggested (Steve Czaban talks about it every once in a while) but I believe he told Norv to bench Brad Johnson our division winning and playoff game winning qb from just the year before and put Jeff George in, make other personnel moves and game plan moves Snyder wanted at half time. Whatever It was, it was effin insane!

With John Kent Cooke at the helm this team would have been much better last decade and would be better today. We would have a lot more respect around the league amongst other owners and I can assure you something like "cap gate" would have never happened NOR the Vinny Cerrato decade long mistake.
Woz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ That all may be true.

Of course, you could ask the Bengals about what it was like to have the son take over for the father about how that can go "well."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: