Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

FA DB's
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly . . .

I could care less who the Raiders Cbs are. Fix the trenches. Weak on both sides. This will take more than a season. I just want to see "smart" signings a la 2012 even they don't pan out. ex- Mike Jenkins.

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
DarthDavis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
Sadly . . .

I could care less who the Raiders Cbs are. Fix the trenches. Weak on both sides. This will take more than a season. I just want to see "smart" signings a la 2012 even they don't pan out. ex- Mike Jenkins.

The problem with the "I just want to fix the trenches" position is it doesn't follow that this years crop of FA, our abilities in FA, and this years draft fit the fix the trenches mentality. Even if this is a defensive line heavy draft, I think its a LE, UT, and 3-4 DE heavy draft. Which is what the Raiders team has been stuck with the last 6 years. We need some NT's and pass rushers. If the players warrant the price and the draft position then so be it. But its not wise to chase the big nasty's at all expense, both in cost and attention to other positions. You could have a studded line with Ross and Chekwa as your CB's and Matt Cassel would look like Peyton. Well maybe not that extreme Laughing But something along those lines.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthDavis wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
Sadly . . .

The problem with the "I just want to fix the trenches" position is it doesn't follow that this years crop of FA, our abilities in FA, and this years draft fit the fix the trenches mentality. Even if this is a defensive line heavy draft, I think its a LE, UT, and 3-4 DE heavy draft. Which is what the Raiders team has been stuck with the last 6 years. We need some NT's and pass rushers. If the players warrant the price and the draft position then so be it. But its not wise to chase the big nasty's at all expense, both in cost and attention to other positions. You could have a studded line with Ross and Chekwa as your CB's and Matt Cassel would look like Peyton. Well maybe not that extreme Laughing But something along those lines.

That may or may not be the case, but either way that makes an OT a viable option. Fisher or Joeckel seem like reliable picks. I assume that is what he meant by "both sides" of the trenches as opposed to both sides of the defensive line.
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justwinbaby81 wrote:
DarthDavis wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
Sadly . . .

That may or may not be the case, but either way that makes an OT a viable option. Fisher or Joeckel seem like reliable picks. I assume that is what he meant by "both sides" of the trenches as opposed to both sides of the defensive line.

Yes, exactly. In addition obviously Darth is higher on Bryant than I am.

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
Big Rob

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Adams is an unknown. He played well, but seriously? Some are ready to start him?

Adams, Chekwa, Ross - these guys are not starters IMO. Not now.

Get me at least 1 solid CB. I like Kennan Lewis in FA personally.

Adams got better with PT as young players do, truth is he's probably our best CB on our roster...give me a solid CB and I'd be fine with Adams starting...We can only fill so many holes and unless we take Milliner or throw money at the position, Adams will be a big piece in our secondary
Big Rob

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
Sadly . . .

Mike Jenkins at the right price would be nice...
DarthDavis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
justwinbaby81 wrote:
DarthDavis wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
Sadly . . .

Yes, exactly. In addition obviously Darth is higher on Bryant than I am.

Alright but you are just talking about one pick at one position. The defensive line was an example to your position to "fix the trenches at all cost" mentality. Mainly because well this is a thread about DB's not OT's. Further your statement started by talking about CB's.

Bryant?[

Last edited by DarthDavis on Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:44 am; edited 3 times in total
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Joe Nobody wrote:
Can't rely on rookies at CB anymore than you can rely on them at DE/rush LB.

So...how can we best address one hole while masking others? Upgrade the pass rush as best you can. Tried and true.

Draft and FA. Pass rushers first, followed by CBs. I'm fine with that.

Problem is, I don't see an impact pass rusher in the draft. And the FA class is going to price Oakland out of their market.

I thought you were so in love with Bjoern Werner? What happened with that?

Raider X hooked me with the sig
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Adams is an unknown. He played well, but seriously? Some are ready to start him?

Adams, Chekwa, Ross - these guys are not starters IMO. Not now.

Get me at least 1 solid CB. I like Kennan Lewis in FA personally.

+1

I crack up when I read posts that tout these guys as possible starters next season. I have to wonder if people really believe that this group of CB's is good enough to go into battle with next year. One bad game and they will all be calling Reggie out for not upgrading the position when he had the chance early in free agency.

Darkness

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOCLEW 28 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Joe Nobody wrote:
Can't rely on rookies at CB anymore than you can rely on them at DE/rush LB.

So...how can we best address one hole while masking others? Upgrade the pass rush as best you can. Tried and true.

Draft and FA. Pass rushers first, followed by CBs. I'm fine with that.

Problem is, I don't see an impact pass rusher in the draft. And the FA class is going to price Oakland out of their market.

I thought you were so in love with Bjoern Werner? What happened with that?

Werner's a base end. We already have Lamarr Houston playing there.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind having two Lamar Houstons as book ends. The kid has proven that he can get to the passer. I find it funny that DE's are labeled like this when they are obviously pass rushers. In 19 years of coaching I have never pulled a kid off the field because we already had a "base" DE on the field if they were both adept at getting to the passer.

I'm just sayin. Confused

Rolni

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOCLEW 28 wrote:
I wouldn't mind having two Lamar Houstons as book ends. The kid has proven that he can get to the passer. I find it funny that DE's are labeled like this when they are obviously pass rushers. In 19 years of coaching I have never pulled a kid off the field because we already had a "base" DE on the field if they were both adept at getting to the passer.

I'm just sayin. Confused

10 sacks in 3 years...not what I'm looking for in a pass rusher...
Darbsk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With this FA class and a decent draft class there is no reason why we can't bolster both the pass rush and the DB situation.

If, for example we could draft a guy like Werner, Carradine or Moore (I'm thinking we stay in a 4-3 and if the above work out Smile ) then add a guy like Porter who has links with Dennis Allen and has a lot to prove or Greg Toler of Arizona who i like a lot with plenty of upside we could with a bit of luck have a big effect on the pass defence.

Pass rusher is obviously first priority when addressing the pass defence but there is plenty of scope for multiple moves. I wouldn't want Mike Jenkins, really bad fit for what we're trying to do IMO.
Dreadymatt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after seeing Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie go for a 1 year $5m deal, this sets a fairly low bar for the other CB's. Indeed the depth in this years CB class may be playing to our advantage. As we have a young (imo high potential) group already in Ross, Chekwa, Adams, Francies, Taiwan Jones, maybe we should just go for a 1-year high experience guy like Quentin Jammer or Nnamdi (remember how Eric Allen showed even aging CB's can hold it together sometimes). Thos two guys are certain to command less than Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (who was a great signing by the dangerous looking Broncos by the way)
DarthDavis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreadymatt wrote:
after seeing Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie go for a 1 year $5m deal, this sets a fairly low bar for the other CB's. Indeed the depth in this years CB class may be playing to our advantage. As we have a young (imo high potential) group already in Ross, Chekwa, Adams, Francies, Taiwan Jones, maybe we should just go for a 1-year high experience guy like Quentin Jammer or Nnamdi (remember how Eric Allen showed even aging CB's can hold it together sometimes). Thos two guys are certain to command less than Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (who was a great signing by the dangerous looking Broncos by the way)

I miss Eric Allen. One of my favorite Raider CB's. We haven't had a player like him since,.....well.....him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: