Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jaguars release Safety Dawan Landry
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bad meets Evil

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
Yeah but here's the biggest issue with that

TJ sucks

As a center fielder, I would agree, I think he is a good in the box safety.

Credit to IPwn for da sig
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad meets Evil wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:

TJ sucks

As a center fielder, I would agree, I think he is a good in the box safety.

I still would rather have those "smaller" guys. Give me the better player.

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II

Nobody cares about Big Brother III...
MoJo122-b-21

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:

TJ sucks

Taylor Mays is a free agent Think

"We're not trying to win the AFC South, we're trying to own the AFC South."
- Gus Bradley
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait what? Confused

I thought Landry-Lowery was a very good duo Sad

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoJo122-b-21 wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:

TJ sucks

Taylor Mays is a free agent Think

Taylor Mays is ............ Disappointing?
Physically.. He is possibly top 5 player to ever play safety in the NFL, but that is not enough.

When it comes to the mental ad coverage aspect.... He is COMPLETELY lacking.

Mays needs INCREDIBLE coaching and to be put in the proper scheme so it can be made sure he is in the right spot at the right times limiting his mistakes. He COULD play the thumper Safety role, but we would need great coordinating (he had that in San Fran) and also a great coverage (FS, CBs ) behind him (what he did not have as of yet) to make up for what he lacks in coverage.

He is definitely a enter at your own risk type of player. Not to sure if he is worth the headache.

DarthDavis wrote:
I tell you I respect the Jags forum nothing but classy posters. They got a good group over there.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idk if even coaching can fix Mays though

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoJo122-b-21 wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
MoJo122-b-21 wrote:
Definitely surprising, if true. I thought he fit very well in the new system.

I'd assume this would put us in the market for Goldson since there's nobody on the roster who doesn't present a significant gap in ability.

D.J. Swearinger or Matt Elam

I like Elam, but I'm afraid his frame can't handle his style of play.

I think this is a fair concern. Personally, I prefer Swearinger given that he is still a high quality player who will be available later than Elam...terrific value IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
If all these rumors are true, this defense is going to be so bad year one.

Terrance gone, Mincey gone, Daryl gone, Cox gone, Mathis gone, Ross gone, Landry gone

There's just not enough selections in the draft to fill these holes on top of the ones we already had.

I get that they were bad last year, and only had one year good as a group, but this seems like overkill. Hopefully that means they're going to resign a couple guys or be a bit active in free agency.

Free agency only yields band-aids. The better long-term strategy is a heavy reliance on the draft. Given the good depth this year, I'd hope for a trade back from #2 to no later than the early teens to get additional 2nd or 3rd round picks this year or even another 1st next year. I think there are several teams who would consider moving up for Geno (including my Bills) and more and more I get the feeling you guys won't be targeting him.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yibbyl wrote:
iPwn wrote:

Terrance gone, Mincey gone, Daryl gone, Cox gone, Mathis gone, Ross gone, Landry gone

There's just not enough selections in the draft to fill these holes on top of the ones we already had.

I get that they were bad last year, and only had one year good as a group, but this seems like overkill. Hopefully that means they're going to resign a couple guys or be a bit active in free agency.

Free agency only yields band-aids. The better long-term strategy is a heavy reliance on the draft. Given the good depth this year, I'd hope for a trade back from #2 to no later than the early teens to get additional 2nd or 3rd round picks this year or even another 1st next year. I think there are several teams who would consider moving up for Geno (including my Bills) and more and more I get the feeling you guys won't be targeting him.
I know all of this. I wasn't asking for top tier free agents, but guys who can be had on the cheap and bandaid players. We only have 7 draft selections and we have arguably 8-9 holes on the defense alone. And that's just starters on the defense. Either the draft needs to be supplemented with some other players or that defense is going to be horrid. That was my only point.

- Best since day one -
It may not be easy, but we ain't riding no tire fire merry-go-round.
- Gus Bradley
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
Yibbyl wrote:
iPwn wrote:

I know all of this. I wasn't asking for top tier free agents, but guys who can be had on the cheap and bandaid players. We only have 7 draft selections and we have arguably 8-9 holes on the defense alone. And that's just starters on the defense. Either the draft needs to be supplemented with some other players or that defense is going to be horrid. That was my only point.

Ah...I gotcha. So you'd probably agree with me that the actual turnover process will take 2 off-seasons then. BTW, not trying to mock the quality of the team, just pointing out that there are several positions that need a legitimate upgrade. Just like the Bills. I'm still excited about what the Jags can become though. I think with some creative trading of draft picks and MJD, you guys could compete for a playoff spot 2 seasons from now.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taylor Mays rocks my socks.

Coaches just need to stop trying to make him Ed Reed and just let him go hurt people.

"We're not trying to win the AFC South, we're trying to own the AFC South."
- Gus Bradley
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yibbyl wrote:
Ah...I gotcha. So you'd probably agree with me that the actual turnover process will take 2 off-seasons then. BTW, not trying to mock the quality of the team, just pointing out that there are several positions that need a legitimate upgrade. Just like the Bills. I'm still excited about what the Jags can become though. I think with some creative trading of draft picks and MJD, you guys could compete for a playoff spot 2 seasons from now.
Probably, yes. It'll really depend on how the draft and everything shake out.

I think it's possible that we could be competitive this next year, but that would take several things. We'd have to retain the 5 guys we're in discussion with (Greg Jones, Brad Meester, Daryl Smith, Terrance Knighton, Derek Cox), fix the QB position (Gabbert developing or Geno or some wild card), get a starting quality LB in the draft, a starter and probably nickel corner (via draft most likely), a starter at RT, a pass rusher and a safety. And then we're in decent shape. We won't be winning a bunch of games, but we would be able to compete.

That seems like a lot, but I don't think it's impossible with this draft class.

Realistically though, I think we're on a 2-3 year plan. We'll probably address RT in Free Agency and add some defensive depth there as well, then everything else is lately to be draft related. If we let those three on defense walk, then we're probably looking at needs of OL depth, RB depth, QB competition, DE starter, DT starter, 2 LBs, 2-3 corners, a safety and some depth on the D as well. That seems like a 2-3 year plan, and even if we retains couple of the three guys on defense, it's still likely a two year plan.

- Best since day one -
It may not be easy, but we ain't riding no tire fire merry-go-round.
- Gus Bradley

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: