Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Crosstown Chatter - 2013 Cubs/Sox Talk
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chisoxguy7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Crosstown Chatter - 2013 Cubs/Sox Talk Reply with quote

It's getting to that time of the year when this thread becomes relevant again.

Sox extended Chris Sale today, 5 years, 32.5M. If the Sox don't contend this year, I could see he or Peavy being dealt at the deadline.
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Crosstown Chatter - 2013 Cubs/Sox Talk Reply with quote

chisoxguy7 wrote:

Sox extended Chris Sale today, 5 years, 32.5M. If the Sox don't contend this year, I could see he or Peavy being dealt at the deadline.

Sale is not going to be dealt. You can cross that off on your list.

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26
CBears019

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Crosstown Chatter - 2013 Cubs/Sox Talk Reply with quote

chisoxguy7 wrote:

You think they'd really deal Sale? He seems like someone you could build a rotation around.

I'm a Cubs fan, so here's my take on the offseason so far:

- I loved all the signings they made, and the ones they didn't make. The pitchers they signed are all relatively cheap and guys who could rebound in a great way this season and become valuable trade chips at the deadline. Pitching has been a huge problem, especially depth, for several years and that should be greatly improved this year. Last year the starting 5 had Garza, Dempster (who everyone thought would suck), Shark (who everyone thought would suck), Chris Volstad (who started out 0-8 or something atrocious like that), and I think Travis Wood. Now we've got Garza (once he's healthy), Shark (who had a very good season last year), Jackson (who has numbers very similar to Garza over the last few years), then a combo of Baker, Villanueva, Feldman, and/or Wood. It's not an all-star cast, but light years better than last year.

- I'm real happy they didn't got after Hamilton or any other big named guys like that, that would kill us a few year from now. I would have liked Michael Bourn, however.

- As much as I like Soriano, his trade value won't get higher than it is now so I expect him to be shipped out before the deadline provided he doesn't get seriously injured. Same goes for Marmol, and possibly Garza.

- Our young guns have been stepping up - Soler and Baez especially. I think we may see Soler late this season, which is way earlier than anyone expected him when they signed him last summer. Seeing these guys doing so well definitely makes these atrocious seasons a little bit more bearable.

Overall I'd expect a season only marginally better than last year, with them finishing last in the division (now that the Astros are gone). That said, I can't wait for the season to begin. There's just something really sweet about the baseball season.

Adopt-a-Bear: Martellus Bennett, TE
Rec: 36 Yds: 364 TD: 4

AZBearsFan wrote:

He's a playmaker though, and we can use more of those in the Devin.Fart
chisoxguy7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Crosstown Chatter - 2013 Cubs/Sox Talk Reply with quote

GOGRIESE wrote:
chisoxguy7 wrote:

I don't see why not. He could easily fetch much, much more than Zack Greinke did last year.
CBears019

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Crosstown Chatter - 2013 Cubs/Sox Talk Reply with quote

chisoxguy7 wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
chisoxguy7 wrote:

I don't see why not. He could easily fetch much, much more than Zack Greinke did last year.

He's 23 and coming off a great season in his first season as a full-time starter in the bigs - why trade someone as valuable and, likely, proven as that for a bunch of prospects who might be good?

AZBearsFan wrote:

GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Crosstown Chatter - 2013 Cubs/Sox Talk Reply with quote

CBears019 wrote:
chisoxguy7 wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
chisoxguy7 wrote:

He's 23 and coming off a great season in his first season as a full-time starter in the bigs - why trade someone as valuable and, likely, proven as that for a bunch of prospects who might be good?

Which is exactly why its not going to happen. You dont trade talent you just locked up for little money for a good amount of years. Its not going to happen. Hahn isnt stupid enough to do something like that.

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Crosstown Chatter - 2013 Cubs/Sox Talk Reply with quote

chisoxguy7 wrote:

No way will they trade Sale barring injury. This kid could be a dominant pitcher during the next five years and he is signed up dirt cheap. Peavy perhaps.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Crosstown Chatter - 2013 Cubs/Sox Talk Reply with quote

CBears019 wrote:
chisoxguy7 wrote:

You think they'd really deal Sale? He seems like someone you could build a rotation around.

- I loved all the signings they made, and the ones they didn't make. The pitchers they signed are all relatively cheap and guys who could rebound in a great way this season and become valuable trade chips at the deadline. Pitching has been a huge problem, especially depth, for several years and that should be greatly improved this year. Last year the starting 5 had Garza, Dempster (who everyone thought would suck), Shark (who everyone thought would suck), Chris Volstad (who started out 0-8 or something atrocious like that), and I think Travis Wood. Now we've got Garza (once he's healthy), Shark (who had a very good season last year), Jackson (who has numbers very similar to Garza over the last few years), then a combo of Baker, Villanueva, Feldman, and/or Wood. It's not an all-star cast, but light years better than last year.

- I'm real happy they didn't got after Hamilton or any other big named guys like that, that would kill us a few year from now. I would have liked Michael Bourn, however.

- As much as I like Soriano, his trade value won't get higher than it is now so I expect him to be shipped out before the deadline provided he doesn't get seriously injured. Same goes for Marmol, and possibly Garza.

- Our young guns have been stepping up - Soler and Baez especially. I think we may see Soler late this season, which is way earlier than anyone expected him when they signed him last summer. Seeing these guys doing so well definitely makes these atrocious seasons a little bit more bearable.

Overall I'd expect a season only marginally better than last year, with them finishing last in the division (now that the Astros are gone). That said, I can't wait for the season to begin. There's just something really sweet about the baseball season.
From what I understand there is no market for Soriano. It looks to me like he would be perfect for the American League as a DH but apparently not.

As for the "something really sweet about the baseball season" just getting out of the damn ice would be really sweet. My friend's husband slipped and broke a leg a month ago, my son just called from Green Bay to tell me he fell and broke a wrist. Enough already.
CBears019

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Crosstown Chatter - 2013 Cubs/Sox Talk Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
CBears019 wrote:
chisoxguy7 wrote:

From what I understand there is no market for Soriano. It looks to me like he would be perfect for the American League as a DH but apparently not.

As for the "something really sweet about the baseball season" just getting out of the damn ice would be really sweet. My friend's husband slipped and broke a leg a month ago, my son just called from Green Bay to tell me he fell and broke a wrist. Enough already.

Yeah baseball starting being concurrent with spring certainly helps, but I still get that feeling when I hear pitchers and catchers are reporting in AZ while I'm still in the snowy midwest. It's nature's way of saying winter is coming to a close.

EDIT: As for Soriano, yeah his market isn't great. That coupled with the fact that he has a full no-trade clause doesn't help the chances of him being moved. But it sounds like he is willing to accept a trade. The Yankees' recent injuries certainly bode well, but doesn't sound like NYY are too thrilled about trading for him. Tigers are another team he's been linked to, but that's about it on that front.

AZBearsFan wrote:

JPeppers90

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Crosstown Chatter - 2013 Cubs/Sox Talk Reply with quote

CBears019 wrote:
chisoxguy7 wrote:

Saw a couple days ago that marmol will be dealt before opening day.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Crosstown Chatter - 2013 Cubs/Sox Talk Reply with quote

CBears019 wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
CBears019 wrote:
chisoxguy7 wrote:

Yeah baseball starting being concurrent with spring certainly helps, but I still get that feeling when I hear pitchers and catchers are reporting in AZ while I'm still in the snowy midwest. It's nature's way of saying winter is coming to a close.

EDIT: As for Soriano, yeah his market isn't great. That coupled with the fact that he has a full no-trade clause doesn't help the chances of him being moved. But it sounds like he is willing to accept a trade. The Yankees' recent injuries certainly bode well, but doesn't sound like NYY are too thrilled about trading for him. Tigers are another team he's been linked to, but that's about it on that front.
I don't know how the Tigers could afford him but it would be bad if they got him. Their offense is going to be amazing next season.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am the only guy who wants to keep Soriano?

I think the Cubs need him to protect Rizzo and make sure that his star keeps climbing.

And when we go to interleague play he can DH and Jackson can get an audition and see if the swing is fixed.
CBears019

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
I am the only guy who wants to keep Soriano?

I think the Cubs need him to protect Rizzo and make sure that his star keeps climbing.

And when we go to interleague play he can DH and Jackson can get an audition and see if the swing is fixed.

I did read an article the other day about how Soriano has taken Javy Baez under his wing and is mentoring him, which is awesome. I have no worries about Rizzo, he seems like the consummate pro.

I just think that since the Cubs won't be competing for a few years, they may as well get rid of Soriano while his value is as high as it'll get and help themselves for the future. Ideally he would be sent to a contender so he can go out with a WS ring.

AZBearsFan wrote:

CBears019

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool

AZBearsFan wrote:

chisoxguy7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBears019 wrote:
Cool

Cubs' slide starts today!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: