Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Greatest Ravens #7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

#7 Greatest Raven
Peter Boulware
36%
 36%  [ 11 ]
Haloti Ngata
20%
 20%  [ 6 ]
Jamal Lewis
23%
 23%  [ 7 ]
Ray Rice
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Todd Heap
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Derrick Mason
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Chris McAlister
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Jermaine Lewis
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Michael McCrary
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Adalius Thomas
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 30

sp6488

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Greatest Ravens #7 Reply with quote

So, the list as it currently stands:
1. Ray
2a. JO
2b. Reed

4. Suggs
5. Joseph Vincent Flacco
6. Matt Stover

I have included the top 10 guys that I imagine could be argued for in the poll, but if for any number 'Other' receives a significant portion of the vote, then I will start a new poll including the 'other' answer(s) as well as a few of the top vote-getters.

Note: Let's keep this to their Ravens contributions. So, a guy like Rod Woodson would be considered for the years he played in Bmore, not Pitt or Oak.

Peter Boulware
Statistics
126 GP / 102 GS, 295 Tackles, 1 INT/ 6 yards/ 0 TD, 70 Sacks, 14 FF/ 5 FR/ O TD
Post-season Statistics
6 GP, 0 Tackles (I think this must be a fluke), 3 Sacks
Accolades/Leaderboards
4x Probowler
1x Second-team All-Pro
1997 Defensive Rookie of the Year

Haloti Ngata
Statistics
109 GP / 106 GS, 242 tackles, 3 INT/ 68 yards/ 0 TD, 22 Sacks. 4 FF/ 5 FR/ 1 TD
Post-season Statistics
13 GP, 29 Tackles, 2.5 Sacks
Accolades/Leaderboards
4x Probowler
2x First-Team All-pro
2x Second-Team All-pro

Jamal Lewis
Statistics
91 GP / 88 GS, 1,822 rushes/ 7,801 yards/ 4.3 YPC/ 45 TD, 160 Receptions/ 1,365 yards/ 2 TD
Post-season Statistics
6 GP, 130 Rushes/ 426 Yards/ 3.3 YPC/ 4 TD, 6 Receptions/ 32 Yards/ 0 TD
Accolades/Leaderboards
1x Probowler
1x First-Team All-Pro
2003 Offensive Player of the Year
Holds the #3 most prolific rushing season of all-time (2003)
Second-Team All-Decade Team (2000's)

Ray Rice
Statistics
77 GP / 65 GS, 1,216 rushes/ 5,520 yards/ 4.5 ypc/ 33 TD, 311 Receptions/ 2,713 yards/ 6 TD
Post-season Statistics
11 GP, 191 rushes/ 750 yards/ 3.9 ypc/ 5 TD, 37 Receptions/ 296 yards/ 1 TD
Accolades/Leaderboards
3x Probowler
2x Second-Team All-Pro

Todd Heap
Statistics
133 GP / 128 GS, 467 receptions/ 5,492 yards/ 11.8 ypc/ 41 TD
Post-season Statistics
11 GP, 32 receptions/ 385 yards/ 12 ypc/ 2 TD
Accolades/Leaderboards
2x Probowler
1x Second-Team All-Pro

Derrick Mason
Statistics
96 GP / 94 GS, 471 Receptions/ 5,777 yards/ 12.3 ypc/ 29 TD
Post-season Statistics
6 GP, 19 Receptions/ 278 yards/ 14.6 ypc/ 1 TD
Accolades/Leaderboards
All-Time Ravens Leader in Receptions/Yards

Chris McAlister
Statistics
135 GP / 127 GS, 382 Tackles, 26 INT/ 486 yards/ 5 TD, 0 Sacks, 1 FF/ 7 FR/ 1 TD
Post-season Statistics
8 GP, 3 INT/ 22 yards/ 0 TD
Accolades/Leaderboards
3x Probowler
1x First-Team All-Pro
1x Second-Team All-Pro

Jermaine Lewis
Statistics
88 GP / 30 GS, 136 Receptions/ 1,984 Yards/ 14.9 YPC/ 16 TD, 231 PR/ 2,730 Yards/ 6 TD, 139 KR/ 3,153 Yards/ 0 TD
Post-season Statistics
6 GP, 5 Receptions/ 42 Yards/ 8.4 YPC/ 0 TD, 16 PR/ 224 Yards/ 1 TD, 11 KR/ 293 Yards/ 1 TD
Accolades/Leaderboards
2x Probowler
1x First-Team All-Pro
1x Second-Team All-Pro

Michael McCrary
Statistics
78 GP / 75 GS, 238 Tackles, 1 INT/ 1 yards/ 0 TD, 51 Sacks, 4 FF/ 6 FR/ 0 TD
Post-season Statistics
4 GP, 0 Tackles (I think this must be a fluke), 6 Sacks
Accolades/Leaderboards
2x Probowler

Adalius Thomas
Statistics
96 GP / 73 GS, 292 Tackles, 6 INT/ 120 yards/ 2 TD, 38.5 Sacks, 13 FF/ 6 FR/ 3 TD
Post-season Statistics
2 GP, 0 Tackles (I think this must be a fluke), 1 Sacks
Accolades/Leaderboards
2x Probowler
1x First-Team All-Pro
[/quote]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still going with Chris McAlister as the best player/longevity/impact guy left on the board. He's comparable to Ngata and Boulware... from a talent perspective and what he allowed us to do schematically. I think he was more irreplaceable for our defense- with Rex running the show and being such an integral part of the team. Ngata can run stop with the best of them. But his pass rushing skillset wasn't always very good, and is still inconsistent. Boulware could do it all pretty much, but his prime wasn't as long as you'd want IMO. And I don't believe he peaked quite as high as either Ngata or McAlister. Though I could be mistaken.

So until Ngata can fix his durability issues and prove to me that he can play a season with his level of dominance, I can't trust him to provide a better impact than McAlister.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamal Lewis for me, although I love me some Chris McAlister!
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boulware. Can't believe he keeps falling.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ngata
McCalister
Boulware

All 3 of these guys should have a sizable margin over Jamal Lewis, who had 1amazing year and 3 good ones.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
Ngata
McCalister
Boulware

All 3 of these guys should have a sizable margin over Jamal Lewis, who had 1amazing year and 3 good ones.

Agreed. The other three players were great players IMO, Lewis had a great peak, but I don't think his prime years were long enough.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. He's a guy that gets overshadowed by some of the big personalities that were on the roster during his career.

EDIT: I can't believe that Adalius Thomas and Jermaine Lewis are on the list but Rod Woodson, Shannon Sharpe, and Michael Jackson (yes, I said it) aren't.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gooselovechild wrote:
BaltimoreTerp wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. He's a guy that gets overshadowed by some of the big personalities that were on the roster during his career.

EDIT: I can't believe that Adalius Thomas and Jermaine Lewis are on the list but Rod Woodson, Shannon Sharpe, and Michael Jackson (yes, I said it) aren't.

Well it's limited to just Ravens accomplishments. Those guys made their legends elsewhere, so I'm sure that factors in.

But in defense of the guys listed, Thomas with us was one of the most versatile, unstoppable forces in the league. And Jermaine Lewis is the best returner in Ravens history. So that gives him an added sense of importance.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very close between these two so ill say 7a)Boulware, 7b) McAllister.

I think McAllister and Boulware are both higher than Ngata because they were on the worlds best defense. Ngata is great but he needs like 5 more healthy seasons or another SB for me to put him ahead of McAllister and Boulware.
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

janky wrote:

I think McAllister and Boulware are both higher than Ngata because they were on the worlds best defense. Ngata is great but he needs like 5 more healthy seasons or another SB for me to put him ahead of McAllister and Boulware.

I wouldn't argue it (all should be in the top 7 imo). But, by that logic shouldn't we downgrade Jamal Lewis for being on terrible offenses? Jamal Lewis had 6 seasons with the Ravens. By next year, Rice in his 6th season should pass him in total yards, TD's, and on better efficiency. This, despite something like a redshirt rookie season. Yet Jamal Lewis was leading this poll for a while.
gooselovechild

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
gooselovechild wrote:
BaltimoreTerp wrote:

Well it's limited to just Ravens accomplishments. Those guys made their legends elsewhere, so I'm sure that factors in.
But in defense of the guys listed, Thomas with us was one of the most versatile, unstoppable forces in the league. And Jermaine Lewis is the best returner in Ravens history. So that gives him an added sense of importance.

I suppose that makes some sense, but even with that I would argue that Woodson accomplished more with the Ravens than Adalius Thomas, and was nearly as impactful as Jermaine Lewis.

He was our Ed Reed before there was an Ed Reed, a mentor for Ray Lewis during his troubles, and the veteran leader of the greatest defense I have ever seen play. That he started his legend elsewhere shouldn't minimize his status as an all time great Raven.
janky

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
janky wrote:

I wouldn't argue it (all should be in the top 7 imo). But, by that logic shouldn't we downgrade Jamal Lewis for being on terrible offenses? Jamal Lewis had 6 seasons with the Ravens. By next year, Rice in his 6th season should pass him in total yards, TD's, and on better efficiency. This, despite something like a redshirt rookie season. Yet Jamal Lewis was leading this poll for a while.

There's a great argument for Jamal being higher than Ngata, Boulware and McAllister. The man was an abusive runner. He had an all time great rushing season with an all time great rushing game and was our best offensive weapon in our first SB run. He was our best offensive weapon his entire career and that holds a lot of value. But to me I think the "greater" Ravens are Boulware and McAllister just because I value the GOAT defense and Boulware specifically being a vital piece. They're all almost equally great IMO and could all be 7abc. I think Ray Rice however is a step below these guys though, I haven't seen him have an impact close to what Jamal did or what that defense did.
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

janky wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:
janky wrote:

There's a great argument for Jamal being higher than Ngata, Boulware and McAllister. The man was an abusive runner. He had an all time great rushing season with an all time great rushing game and was our best offensive weapon in our first SB run. He was our best offensive weapon his entire career and that holds a lot of value. But to me I think the "greater" Ravens are Boulware and McAllister just because I value the GOAT defense and Boulware specifically being a vital piece. They're all almost equally great IMO and could all be 7abc. I think Ray Rice however is a step below these guys though, I haven't seen him have an impact close to what Jamal did or what that defense did.

So, in summary: being on a great group helps, being on a terrible group helps, and the guys on a medium group get the shaft. Laughing

I'm just teasing at this point. Laughing

Rice gets knocked down a peg in my book for being so uncltuch in the postseason, after that great opening against the Pats in 09.
sp6488

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gooselovechild wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
gooselovechild wrote:
BaltimoreTerp wrote:

I suppose that makes some sense, but even with that I would argue that Woodson accomplished more with the Ravens than Adalius Thomas, and was nearly as impactful as Jermaine Lewis.

He was our Ed Reed before there was an Ed Reed, a mentor for Ray Lewis during his troubles, and the veteran leader of the greatest defense I have ever seen play. That he started his legend elsewhere shouldn't minimize his status as an all time great Raven.

He'll make his way on here. I didnt realize that he actually played four years for us, thought it was less than that. Anyway I don't think he's got a great case to be above Mcallister Lewis boulware etc. as an all time great raven, but he and sharpe will probably be coming on shortly. You can always vote 'other' too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: