Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

SD releasing LB Takeo Spikes today
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Gates is only making 4.5, 5, and 5.9 million. Really nothing wrong with those if he's putting up 50/700/8 on average, something I think he can very well do.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
game3525

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
Wilkieray wrote:
Not sure I like that Spikes was the first one they decided to cut here. I do believe however that we need to be younger/more athletic at that position. The question is can we get a solid starter here at a cheaper price than Spikes. With Weddle/Butler here I think the locker room presence will be alright. Never hurts having a Spikes in the locker room but he was a liability on the field (at times). Im thinking free agency for a starter. That also gives De Williams more negotiating strength to renew his contract. He played well when given the chance. Any names pop into your head as who to look at. Don't burn my house down but what about a Rey Maualuga, Chase Blackburn or Bart Scott. Servicable slightly younger guys, not sure thier price range though. Your thoughts?

All three are tuuuuurible.

Throw onto that that we've been hearing (or I have at least) rumblings from the FO/coaching staff that we may be looking at a "youth movement" (i.e. play the youngins'). And that they're likely to go all-in to fix the OL potentially at the expense of "other positions". Telesco and Griggs last season with the Colts had the luxury of the #1 pick (and Andrew Luck) but largely went out of their way in FA and the draft to nail down one side of the ball specifically (the offense - i.e. the side where they were bringing in their top prospect).

Similarly, I'm expecting that we'll likely see the OL and the offense as the onus of this off-season, possibly at the expense of the defense in several regards (likely either secondary or pass-rush), which isn't all bad considering that if cards are played right this is a deep draft to fill out depth in the secondary, OL, H-Back, and secondary receivers.

Ideally I'd like to see them either nail down Butler long-term or else bring on someone of similar potential-impact in case we don't manage to lock him down (I realize that cap space is limited this year, but I'd actually rather lock him up than re-sign Vasquez... considering that there's potential for the figure to skyrocket with Darryl Washington, Pat Willis- who's already notched one year off his extension and is likely to seek more money, Navorro Bowman, Cushing, and Weatherspoon all up for renewal in the coming 1-2 seasons.

Yup

I think Telesco may be taking the 2010 Pats approach of having the QB carry the team while the young defense learns on the fly.
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am expecting us to do so. We might not win our division this next year but I am excited to see the offense we're going to field.

It's going to be quick, dangerous and Rivers is going to explode. Norv's offense was based on a Troy Aikman quarterback. Play action, play action, play action. It was really just a more aggressive MartyBall.

Now our coaches that started with the Red Gun, Greatest show on turf. The Patriot offense of attacking and exploiting whatever mismatch there is. The philosophy will we can beat you 1 on 1 so we are going to do it. Rivers is going to have a career year in this system because this is the no huddle, quick option offense that his short release will thrive in.

Alexander, Floyd, Gates, Brown, Royal, Matthews, Meachem... it's loaded for a spread option, out run the defense offense.

We need another scat back. I don't care if they can't pass block if they can be a Faulk out of the backfield.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: