Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Could it be time to start thinking Collins at 15?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How would you feel if the Saints took Jamie Collins at 15?
Great
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Good
30%
 30%  [ 4 ]
OK
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
Bad
38%
 38%  [ 5 ]
Horriable
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 13

Porter22

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
I can't remember the stat but PFF had a stat stating that both Martez Wilson and Junior Galette were top 15 pass rushers when they saw the field. If they start and stay healthy I could see both of them finishing in the 8-12 sack range; that's more pressure then we've seen since Will Smith and Charles Grant were in their prime 8 years ago...
Yeah Galette was even Top 8 IIRC. Right now we can't predict who our pick will be. We could draft nearly every position on defense and it all depends on our next cuts (maybe Harper, Vilma, Smith) and who add via FA. If we sign one of the corners and release/trade Harper, I could see us targeting a safety in the first. If we keep Harper and resign Galette, corner will be our main need!
Injured Reserve: WR Joe Morgan
Canadian Saint

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, with Bushrod saying he's had no contact with the Saints regarding a new contract, and Rob Ryans past record of picking a player in the secondary with the first pick, I'm not sure we will be picking an OLB in the 1st. Which I'm completely happy with.

NFL: New Orleans Saints
NHL: Edmonton Oilers
MLB: Minnesota Twins/ Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Phoenix Suns/Toronto Raptors
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porter22 wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
I can't remember the stat but PFF had a stat stating that both Martez Wilson and Junior Galette were top 15 pass rushers when they saw the field. If they start and stay healthy I could see both of them finishing in the 8-12 sack range; that's more pressure then we've seen since Will Smith and Charles Grant were in their prime 8 years ago...
Yeah Galette was even Top 8 IIRC. Right now we can't predict who our pick will be. We could draft nearly every position on defense and it all depends on our next cuts (maybe Harper, Vilma, Smith) and who add via FA. If we sign one of the corners and release/trade Harper, I could see us targeting a safety in the first. If we keep Harper and resign Galette, corner will be our main need!

Either way, I think our HC has the right approach to this..

Quote:
On weighing selecting a position of need versus the best player available in the NFL Draft: “You go in, and you begin to clump players. Today we did a few different position groups; we were watching a cross section of pass rushers for instance. Tomorrow will be defensive backs with corners, nickels and safeties. You are looking at those top 15, 16 or 18 players depending on whose board you are looking at.

“I do think you have to pay attention to what the value is how they are graded. That being said, usually you make sure you like 15 guys if you are picking at No. 15 or at least you have rated your board so you are prepared for each scenario. I think you have to be careful you don’t try to invent or create a position. In other words I think sometimes your mistakes are made in your value when you are saying you want a safety and you are trying to create a safety and you tend to grade a little higher so you can pick one. All of a sudden you have passed up on a good football player.

“We are looking at how we have these guys graded but we are also paying attention to what we need. It goes back and forth. I think from my experience here when we have drafted, when there is a player’s magnet that is sitting well above everyone else’s, we discuss it, talk closely about it and we have ended up with some pretty good football players. I think that is the key.”

http://blog.neworleanssaints.com/2013/03/06/sean-payton-talks-draft-free-agency-rob-ryan-with-wwl-radio/

Sounds to me like he won't force a pick simply to fill a need and I feel thats the right approach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
FLOODx

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is absolutely the right approach.

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Worms OP: You read to much Canal St Chronicles.. Laughing

Raves

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically payton has said they worked out all positions in both sides of the ball have an idea on how they grade each player, probably with a number and multiple players could have the same grade/number and come pick time unless they see someone with a significant lead in grade, they will draft need that graded at or about the same as the others in the board. It's like saying, I have a 99 at wr, a 92 at safety and olb, a 91 at ilb, and a 90 at cb, hr would draft the wr. Now if the wr is removed, they would basically draft the player that fills the biggest need as they are all ranked rather close.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
So basically payton has said they worked out all positions in both sides of the ball have an idea on how they grade each player, probably with a number and multiple players could have the same grade/number and come pick time unless they see someone with a significant lead in grade, they will draft need that graded at or about the same as the others in the board. It's like saying, I have a 99 at wr, a 92 at safety and olb, a 91 at ilb, and a 90 at cb, hr would draft the wr. Now if the wr is removed, they would basically draft the player that fills the biggest need as they are all ranked rather close.

Or trade down to a position where they would still land one of the bunch they have clumped together with the same grade if they can find a partner within the range they seek.

whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

Saints had 4 scouts at Southern Miss proday and all eyes fixed on Jamie Collins.

Porter22

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
Update:

Saints had 4 scouts at Southern Miss proday and all eyes fixed on Jamie Collins.
Wow! 4 Scouts and all were watching the same guy? Any informations how he looked?
Injured Reserve: WR Joe Morgan
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porter22 wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
Update:

Wow! 4 Scouts and all were watching the same guy? Any informations how he looked?

Nagh, Sadly just read it on a site talking about the ProDay... May be something, may be nothing but I know Collins is really gaining steam right now similar to the way Chandler Jones did last year.

FLOODx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would rather trade back for him, like I said, but I wouldn't have a problem taking him at 15.

Adopt-a-Saint
sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLOODx wrote:
Would rather trade back for him, like I said, but I wouldn't have a problem taking him at 15.

The problem is that it is a gamble. I say...if you like him enough to get him in the 20s...you have to take him at 15. It is too risky to assume that he will be there by trading back.

I have said from the very beginning the Collins has be EXTREMELY underrated. Ignore the mock drafts...they are wrong. When GMs are ranking the 3-4 OLB prospects...they are going to ask themselves "other than hype what in the world makes Mingo better than Collins?" They are going to have a tough time finding an answer.

With Galette signed to a 3 year contract...I just don't see the Saints going after a 3-4 WOLB unless he is a 15+ sack guy. The only guy from the class that I think can be that guy is Jarvis Jones (but he can also play SOLB). If he is there...the Saints may pull the trigger...but otherwise, the Saints are going to go with SOLB over WOLB.

Mingo is NOT that guy. Ansah is absolutely NOT that guy. I am not even sure that Dion Jordan is that guy. He can fulfill the role of coverage and pass rusher...but he is going to be manhandled on the strong side against the run. I think that Dion Jordans ideal positions are at 4-3 SOLB and 3-4 WOLB. Otherwise, he is going to struggle because of his high center of gravity and lack of strength.

I think that I now have Collins as #2 on my big board from the OLB position (right behind Jarvis Jones). I think that he is worth the #15 selection assuming that the Saints don't pass on a healthy Jones, Star, Floyd, Richardson, Millner, or Rhodes (all assuming the Saints figure their LT situation...which I would be shocked if they do not before the draft).
MPjeffryred

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:

I think this draft is deep and I favor trading down. The prime suspects in my mind are St. Louis and Minnesota, both of whom have two first round picks and have needs they could satisfy earlier rather than later in the first round.
I am leaning toward SMU 's Margus Hunt with the 31st pick after a trade with Minnesota. And with pick 50 from that trade, I would select Brandon Williams, NT from Missouri Southern. Hunt is a freak and would provide a solid RDE, allowing Cam Jordan to stay on the left side. Both of these guys are very strong with 38 reps each at the combine. Let our fourth rounders (2) lean toward the bpa such as Trevardo Williams at LB, Chris Faulk at LT, or a corner/safety if it falls. Or in the fourth I would target JJ Wilcox at safety, Terry Hawthorne at CB, or David Quessenberry LT. With a late pick, I would seek a good TE such as Jake Stoneburner. In my scenario, we also give the Vikings our sixth rounder for their seventh.
I see many needs and a relatively deep draft. With the emergence of Hicks added to Hunt and Williams, I see a much improved D Line. Wilson and Gallette should also flourish. Remember we also have Hawthorne and some others returning from injury. I do see the possibility of cutting Smith, Vilma and perhaps Harper (unless we could restructure and redo his contract). Bushrod is gone, and it is time for others to step up. We did draft and hide two big linemen from last year (RT and G) and still have
Smith and Strief. Hopefully, DE Greg Romeus can also contribute in a rotation this year.
Scheme and some key additions should place us mid pack in defense in 2013. That might be good enough for a Super Bowl run if the offense can continue to perform as they have the last few years!
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunt is VERY RAW. and he's 26. Nononono to him unless it's in the 4th

FLOODx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartica4Real wrote:
Hunt is VERY RAW. and he's 26. Nononono to him unless it's in the 4th

I'm not a fan of hunt

Adopt-a-Saint

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: