Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The I've been here forever but never post mock offseason
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaymiz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: The I've been here forever but never post mock offseason Reply with quote

Been around a long time, but don't post really ever. I'm not even sure if I did these images correctly, but oh well. Thought I'd give this mock offseason thing a try.

Free agency:

I feel the only free agents the eagles have worthy of a new contract are Dorenbos and Colt. These moves are pretty self explanatory, and new ST coach Dave Fipp will approve. I'm hesitant to let Jordan go for this same reason but I don't see how he fits in the defense we plan to run so he has to be moved.

Nnamdi takes his $4 million dead money and leaves and we let DRC find somewhere else to not really care. If you're like me, and have read up on Chip and coaching philosophy, you'll know he will demand tenacity, hustle, and competition from his franchise qb to his practice squad center. Shying away from contact, taking plays off, and not owning up to one's mistakes will not fly on this team anymore. I think Andy let these antics fly in an effort to maximize his perceived talent on the field and the team suffered.

So therefore players, like these two corners, have no spot on this team anymore and Chip's first offseason will implement the type of attitude and direction this team needs to head in. Personally, I'm very excited for it.

As a side note, I'll really only highlight the impact signings here not 4-5 bodies we bring in for ST and depth purposes. Also, cutting Nnamdi would leave us at roughly $45-46 million in cap space meaning we'd have to spend roughly $30 million in cap to achieve the basement 89%, if my calculations are right. I think thats a tall order for free agents and we may end up getting way more "impact" guys than what I have here, let's say for argument's sake this (along with lesser players, resignings, rookies, etc) will get us in the ballpark.

Steve McLendon

6'4 280 or 325lbs (depending who you believe) 27 years old

Though in a small sample, I think McLendon has shown the potential to be a solid rotational end and nose tackle in this league. In my opinion, he vastly outplays the over paid and undeserving starter in Ziggy Hood. He also comes on the field in obvious passing situations when Casey Hampton is sucking wind on the sidelines showing his worth in disrupting the interior pocket, a skill thats quickly becoming vital to NFL defenses. His versatility and stout play make him a key cog and starter in the interior of the defense right away.

Ricky Jean-Francois

6'3 295lbs 26 years old

Losing Cullen Jenkins and Mike Patterson has left this roster bone dry on DL talent outside of Cox. Similarly to McLendon, Jean-Francois is a very versatile player able to play multiple positions on the line and did so giving solid support in albeit minimal playing time on great defenses. I believe Jean-Francois is brought in to really push Cedric Thornton for that #3 spot on DE.

Jared Cook

6'5 248lbs 25 years old

I think this is the key signing of the offseason and one we will really have to pony up for to make. Cook is a hot name right now and deservedly so. His production since entering the league is minimal but it's not for lack of talent or effort but simple misuse by two different coaching regimes that were first enamored with Kenny Britt then by Chris Johnson. I've read in recent weeks that Chip Kelly loves to "stockpile" tight ends, and what better one to add? Perhaps like some of you, I've long held out hope that Clay could take that next step as a #2 TE and I will say he has made strides. But given the opportunity to upgrade, our old friends Andy and Tom have long told us you take that chance. Cook is a massive specimen, and though no one will confuse his as a third blocking tackle on the field, his athleticism down the seam matched with Brent's gritty toughness will make a great 1-2. I say massive, but note he also ran a 4.5 coming out. Chip will be able to move Cook all around the field. Want a mismatch down the seam on short linebackers? You got him. A big bodied redzone threat? Here he is. Cook can help take this offense to a different level.

Tracy Porter

5'11 186lbs 26 years old

I'll admit this was a struggle for me. I'm not really high on Porter but looking around the free agent list, he made the most sense. Talib and Sean Smith are DRC replicas and there's just no way Grimes and Keenan Lewis are allowed to leave their respective teams. I'd like one high end corner through the draft but I think getting two competent rookie starters is a stretch so Porter checks in here to battle it out with Hughes and Marsh. Last season was a wash for Porter. He was red hot in the week 1 then various injuries and a bizarre epileptic disorder trashed his season. When healthy though, I believe Porter can be a solid contributor in the #2 CB spot which is the plan for him here.

The Draft:

So onto the draft.

Round 1:

I'm going to predict a trade down here. While it's stupid to say where or with whom, I feel Howie will be anxiously looking to move down for two reasons: One, Chip, realizing he has a 4-12 team will look to acquire as much talent as possible with extra picks he'll attain. And two, that the player his team really would prefer, Dion Jordan, will go to the Jags at #2. Bradley will come back to bite us, and take arguably the most gifted athlete in the draft to lead his revamped defense. So with that...

Eagles trade #4 to Tennessee for #10 and a 3rd

The Titans motive is to jump the Lions for Dee Milliner. Like I said, take the logistics of this move however you will, but my point is I want to move back to acquire another pick and move towards a prospect I really like since Jordan is gone.

And with the 10th pick..... Sheldon Richardson

6'3 297lbs

It's my strong opinion that the front of Cox, McLendon, and Richardson will be one of the most tenacious and athletic in the league. Richardson not only has the measurables that scream first round pick, but the production and aggression as well. This young man never stops running. The rumors you've heard of him returning fumbles 70 yards and running downfield to tackle receivers on screens are true. This nonstop mentality also led him to gaudy stats in the country's most competitive division. The guy led his team in tackles....from the DT position. He's truly a grinder.

Round 2:

I believe the Elam's, Banks', and Rhodes' will be long gone by now. Actually I think Harbaugh will break our hearts and take Elam in right front of our face to replace Goldson who will walk in free agency. So with that, I believe the guys address their secondary with a very underrated player who I think will fly up draft boards.

Darius Slay

6'0 192lbs

Banks' unheralded compadre and former teammate of Fletcher Cox gets the nod here. Slay has all the ball skills and coverage talent Banks does, but with real athletic ability. His 4.36 forty 35" vert and 10' broad jump show his great lower body power. But perhaps my favorite part about him: He's not shy at all about sticking his nose in to make a tackle. I think this is the route Chip and Davis would like to transition to in their secondary and this young man will be the building block for it.

Round 3:

Jamie Collins

6'3 250lbs

This is our "Dion Jordan Lite". Right off the bat, this guy doesn't have Dion's athleticism, but it's not far off. He posted a 41" vert and over 11' broad jump so his sheer power is evident. His 7.10 3 cone shows his fluid hips and ability to bend after penetration and track down QBs and RBs. Probably the biggest knock on Collins is his strength. He posted only 19 reps at the Combine and his tape shows his susceptibility to being knocked off the ball by bigger linemen. It's my hope with a proper strengthening program and a new DL coach who's trademark saying of "More Violence" will remedy this problem and give us a legit option at the SAM position.

Round 3 Titans pick:

Shamarko Thomas

5'9 213lbs

Like Slay, this is a player I feel shoots up boards. At first glance, Shamarko is eerily similar to former Hawkeye Bob Sanders. Both short in stature but with considerable athleticism. Shamarko is more or less the representative of the Orange defense. He explodes onto ball carriers with no regard for his own body much like Sanders, though the potential difference, I feel, is Shamarko's strength. He repped an amazing 28 times at the Combine and even with shorter arms than the meatballs in the trenches, that's no easy feat at 213lbs. Shamarko's limitations are often in coverage, but more importantly, his inconsistent angles he takes at runners. One play Shamarko will square up and pummel a runner in space and the next over pursue and get juked out of the play. Shamarko also has upstanding character as he's taken it upon himself to raise his younger siblings after their parents passed away while he was in college. It's my opinion, that if Shamarko's extreme tenacity can be harnessed he can become a helluva in the box safety that will punish runners and patrol the middle laying wood when he can. We missed out on Matt Elam but I think this kid can be a great consolation.

From this point, outside of some rare gems, you're looking for solid depth players and ST contributors. And since this post is lengthy as it is, I'll keep this short and offer a players of interest list.

David Quessenberry G/C
6'5 302lbs

Aaron Dobson WR
6'3 210lbs

Cornelius Washington ILB
6'4 265lbs

Steve Williams CB
5'9 181lbs

[/b]Additions:[b]

NT Steve McLendon
DE RickyJean-Francois
TE Jared Cook
CB Tracy Porter

DE Sheldon Richardson
CB Darius Slay
OLB Jamie Collins
SS Shamarko Thomas

So there ya go. Hate it or love it, I can't say I'd be mad if things went down like this come late April. What do you think?

Last edited by jaymiz on Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:32 pm; edited 3 times in total
SiLo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who are you again?

Bird Watch: Brandon Boykin
27 TACKLES 0 SACK 1 FF 2 INT
jaymiz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SiLo wrote:

Who are you again?

My name's Smokey.
ianlewis16

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at the risk of sounding too wordy

i like it.

Blahman88 wrote:
I control the EBB.......except Ian, no body can control him
RandyMossIsBoss

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaymiz wrote:
SiLo wrote:

Who are you again?

My name's Smokey.

WhackyPlague

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, but I don't think Collins lasts that long.
mm6492

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ianlewis16 wrote:
at the risk of sounding too wordy

i like it.
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Different than alot of others, i like the general idea behind it. Revamp the defensive front to fit what we are trying to do.

Would've liked to see you finish the last few rounds and post a depth chart.

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind.

Minor detail: Both Lovett and Davis preferred bigger guys in the secondary, so I doubt we target Sharmarko.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
Kempes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. This was really well thought out and from reading all your explanations, also very logical.
Dr. Philly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need a refresher on the name

simonwayne wrote:
LeBron has done for the NBA what Teen Mom has done for teenage pregnancies

#JDI
willy_law

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, I like the additions of Slay and Thomas
RollEagles

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this a lot. Breath of fresh air from the repetitive mocks that get posted often.

And I think the team that was put together could win a good number of games.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dislike

It's well thought out, you've done research, no body got time fo dat in this forum.

We want magross-esque mocks

jaymiz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainbowCarebear wrote:
I wouldn't mind.

Minor detail: Both Lovett and Davis preferred bigger guys in the secondary, so I doubt we target Sharmarko.

I've read that nugget as well so I know what you mean. My thoughts were that by the 3rd round no safety comes off as talented as Shamarko. Perhaps you could make a case for Eric Reid, but Thomas is just my personal preference. I'd like a gritty enforcer in the secondary and feel Shamarko's strength and athleticism can make up for his lack of height.
oland11

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Both Lovett and Davis preferred bigger guys in the secondary, so I doubt we target Sharmarko.

Shamarko Thomas hits hard though...He isn't afraid to hit.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: