Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chiefs release former Texans OT Eric Winston
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MARIO MANGELINI

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
I don't understand why Albert is so against moving. He played LG in college.

I know he gets paid more as a LT but that won't change either ways, he's already proven he can play LT.

He's just been franchised, so he wants to play tackle and get a long term deal as a tackle. If he plays guard this year then he'll get a long term deal more likely as a guard, and there's a big money difference between those deals.

aceinthehouse wrote:
Redskins need a RT and then are set on O-Line--
--Eric Winston (chiefs) is a former Houston Texan--
--Kyle Shanahan is a former OC with Houston Texans--
--Kyle Shanahan is now OC for the Washington Redskins--

See the writing on the wall, gentleman?

Eric Winston=Signed by the Washington Redskins soon...

(Soon as they get this cap stuff figured out which they will, cause Bruce Allen is the best in the business)

Your team is cap strapped, so shelling out big bucks to a RT, of all positions, does not make much sense. And I don't believe Allen is anywhere near the best in the business, wasn't it him who tried to take advantage of the uncapped year and got a massive cap penalty from the league because of it?
49ersfan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought he was a solid player making a manageable salary?

If they were rebuilding i would kind of understand it...but they re-signed Bowe, tagged Albert, and traded for Alex. They clearly think they can compete this year so it seems odd to cut a guy who could still produce for them.
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
Brian23

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MARIO MANGELINI wrote:
jrry32 wrote:

I know he gets paid more as a LT but that won't change either ways, he's already proven he can play LT.

He's just been franchised, so he wants to play tackle and get a long term deal as a tackle. If he plays guard this year then he'll get a long term deal more likely as a guard, and there's a big money difference between those deals.

aceinthehouse wrote:
Redskins need a RT and then are set on O-Line--
--Eric Winston (chiefs) is a former Houston Texan--
--Kyle Shanahan is a former OC with Houston Texans--
--Kyle Shanahan is now OC for the Washington Redskins--

See the writing on the wall, gentleman?

Eric Winston=Signed by the Washington Redskins soon...

(Soon as they get this cap stuff figured out which they will, cause Bruce Allen is the best in the business)

Your team is cap strapped, so shelling out big bucks to a RT, of all positions, does not make much sense. And I don't believe Allen is anywhere near the best in the business, wasn't it him who tried to take advantage of the uncapped year and got a massive cap penalty from the league because of it?

He and many others, just the others didn't have 2 high profile front offices rise a fuss about it...who just so happened to be in their division.
jrry32

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MARIO MANGELINI wrote:
jrry32 wrote:

You're misunderstanding. I mean playing RT. Not LG.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
MARIO MANGELINI

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
MARIO MANGELINI wrote:
jrry32 wrote:

Ahh, that clears something up. Still applies thought, LT money is about 2x RT money. If he proves he can play LT again this season he might get the long term LT deal. RT's are soooo expendable too, it's not even funny. The good ones that command the big deals are never safe, because they are simply RT's and if your team is looking to free up cap space that is one of the first places to clear some space. Another reason he wouldn't want to play RT.
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Levitre + Eric Winston in Seattle please...

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
jrry32

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MARIO MANGELINI wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
MARIO MANGELINI wrote:
jrry32 wrote:

Ahh, that clears something up. Still applies thought, LT money is about 2x RT money. If he proves he can play LT again this season he might get the long term LT deal. RT's are soooo expendable too, it's not even funny. The good ones that command the big deals are never safe, because they are simply RT's and if your team is looking to free up cap space that is one of the first places to clear some space. Another reason he wouldn't want to play RT.

He's already proven he can play LT.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
FootballProdiG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems stupid to get rid of a solid player who is used to blocking for Jamaal Charles. Charles hasn't had any problems putting up numbers running to Winston's side. And whether they are changing their offensive style remains to be seen. You can only do much with an inept game manager checkdown QB like Alex Smith throwing the ball. They are still an offense that is going to rely heavily on the run game and would have likely benefitted more by keeping Winston, drafting a WR in the early 2nd like Keenan Allen or Connor Vernon from Duke and signing Vince Young and running the zone read/option game with Young and Charles. Hope Andy knows what he's doing. getting 2-3 more wins is hardly an improvement, and unless they plan to break even this will still be a failure of a season.
kenney

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballProdiG wrote:
Seems stupid to get rid of a solid player who is used to blocking for Jamaal Charles. Charles hasn't had any problems putting up numbers running to Winston's side. And whether they are changing their offensive style remains to be seen. You can only do much with an inept game manager checkdown QB like Alex Smith throwing the ball. They are still an offense that is going to rely heavily on the run game and would have likely benefitted more by keeping Winston, drafting a WR in the early 2nd like Keenan Allen or Connor Vernon from Duke and signing Vince Young and running the zone read/option game with Young and Charles. Hope Andy knows what he's doing. getting 2-3 more wins is hardly an improvement, and unless they plan to break even this will still be a failure of a season.

Winston's one of the best run-blockers in the league but a decidedly mediocre pass-blocker the last couple of years. Best read of the situation says that Reid wants a line that can pass-block reliably first, given his latest years in Philadelphia.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:

OMFG YES!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:

What about Okung...?
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian23 wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:

What about Okung...?
Well... Levitre is a guard and Winston still plays RT, so... I'd probably keep Okung at LT

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
mteward

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can see the Bears having a big interest in Winston.
Sign Winston + Draft Interior OL = happier days (hopefully)
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winston will get interest from a few teams.....he seems like a very good team player and could upgrade plenty of lines in the league. Houston and Miami seem most likely landing spots (previous relationship with Houston, Lives in Miami in the off-season, brother worked for Ireland)....I guess we will see how it plays out.

Free Agency get get here soon enough....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to clear more money to sign Albert long-term somehow. The money they wanted to spend is now tied up in Bowe.

So now either they are forced into a tackle at #1, or they take someone else and have the right side of their line take a hit, particularly in the run game, which will hurt JC and transversely, Alex Smith who relies on having a strong run game.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

If a police officer offered me a warning, no, I would not take it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: