Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chiefs release former Texans OT Eric Winston
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sp6488

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
Gene wrote:
This kind of move is how terrible football teams are built.

He was their best OL last season. Cutting him only saves 700k in cap room.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

For what it's worth it does save nearly $5M in cash.

Winston earned $9.3 million in his one year with the Chiefs.

$1,400,000 hit against the cap in 2013.

2013 base salary of $4,900,000
- escalated signing bonus $6,300,000
= -$1,400,000

I just don't get this move. He was a veteran and brought some stability to the RT spot considering we went with Barry Richardson the year before. I really don't get this because we created a huge hole at RT.

The one benefit is that if he isn't in the LT plans, then the cut in this year isolates the loss so to speak. Won't impact the 2014 cap.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
Don't understand it at all. Did they even try to trade him?

I would be surprised. I am really disappointed by this move. The timing is horrible from a player personnel standpoint. We don't save any money and by my calculations actually take a total hit of $1,400,000 by releasing him.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
Gene wrote:
This kind of move is how terrible football teams are built.

He was their best OL last season. Cutting him only saves 700k in cap room.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

For what it's worth it does save nearly $5M in cash.

Winston earned $9.3 million in his one year with the Chiefs.

$1,400,000 hit against the cap in 2013.

2013 base salary of $4,900,000
- escalated signing bonus $6,300,000
= -$1,400,000

I just don't get this move. He was a veteran and brought some stability to the RT spot considering we went with Barry Richardson the year before. I really don't get this because we created a huge hole at RT.

The one benefit is that if he isn't in the LT plans, then the cut in this year isolates the loss so to speak. Won't impact the 2014 cap.

You are right. Even though the future team salary figures are fluid, the 2014 and 2015 base salaries will never count against the cap. But still, there has to be a major reason why a front office would cut a starter and basically get hit with $1,400,000 in salary cap room losses to have a player NOT play for you. I am really confused. As far as frustration, this is a notch below the Alex Smith compensation package for me.

Gene

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:

I would be surprised. I am really disappointed by this move. The timing is horrible from a player personnel standpoint. We don't save any money and by my calculations actually take a total hit of $1,400,000 by releasing him.
You forgot to factor in the prorated 2.1M of his signing bonus that was already being paid this year. his total 2013 cap hit was 7 mil. Cutting him results in 6.3 mil of dead money = 700k savings against the cap this season.

Still a stupid decision, of course, but it does save them enough to get a freaking journeyman backup. :facepalm:
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:

You forgot to factor in the prorated 2.1M of his signing bonus that was already being paid this year. his total 2013 cap hit was 7 mil. Cutting him results in 6.3 mil of dead money = 700k savings against the cap this season.

Still a stupid decision, of course, but it does save them enough to get a freaking journeyman backup. :facepalm:

No, I added in the escalated signing bonus for all three remaining years (2013, 2014, and 2015) which equals $6,300,000. The prorated signing bonus portions are as a result of spreading out the signing bonus which was paid to the player when they sign the contract. It is just a salary cap accounting allowance. But when a player is cut, all of that money escalates into the year the player is cut. The only money that is wiped off of the books would be the base salary and any workout bonuses/roster bonuses not paid in that year due to being cut.

JBURGE25

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't understand this. I guess the plan is to draft Joeckel and play him at RT for a year, then switch over to LT? So Albert is gone too. Now you need another tackle to recover the loss on the right side. Just making unnecessary holes to me :S

XBL: ShiiNyIV
bulger2holt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rams need a RT. What kind of money is Winston going to look for?
Gene

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
Gene wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:

No, I added in the escalated signing bonus for all three remaining years (2013, 2014, and 2015) which equals $6,300,000. The prorated signing bonus portions are as a result of spreading out the signing bonus which was paid to the player when they sign the contract. It is just a salary cap accounting allowance. But when a player is cut, all of that money escalates into the year the player is cut. The only money that is wiped off of the books would be the base salary and any workout bonuses/roster bonuses not paid in that year due to being cut.
Right, but see 2.1 mil of that 6.3 mil was already counting against the cap this year. 4.9 base salary + 2.1 signing bonus = 7 mil cap. Now the 4.2 mil of signing bonus from the next two years accelerates to join the 2.1 that was already being charged this year for a total dead money charge of 6.3 mil. That's 700k less than was being charged against the cap by having him on the team.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
Gene wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:

Right, but see 2.1 mil of that 6.3 mil was already counting against the cap this year. 4.9 base salary + 2.1 signing bonus = 7 mil cap. Now the 4.2 mil of signing bonus from the next two years accelerates to join the 2.1 that was already being charged this year for a total dead money charge of 6.3 mil. That's 700k less than was being charged against the cap by having him on the team.

I guess I am still thinking that the only money coming off of the books as far as the 2013 cap goes is his base salary which is $4,900,000. So that is the credit but the hit in the escalated signing bonus total of $6,300,000 will be the dead money. So when you combine the credit and the hit you get $1,400,000 that is the difference between the two. Sorry, I have had a long day so if I am off I apologize.

big_palooka

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon Albert:

Quote:
@ChiefsBeef: @Balbert76 Would you be open to playing RT? And they could draft Fisher instead of Joekel who can play RT. nope

Quote:
@brocandfriends: @Balbert76 your strictly a LT is what your implying? You damn right

So there is that.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albert will play where they tell him to play and he better like it
Gene

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulger2holt wrote:
Or what? They withdraw his tender and let him get paid? Ooooooh! Scary!

That's what Reid has done in the past when players didn't sign their franchise tender.
bulger2holt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene wrote:
bulger2holt wrote:
Or what? They withdraw his tender and let him get paid? Ooooooh! Scary!

That's what Reid has done in the past when players didn't sign their franchise tender.

Or he sits the bench
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulger2holt wrote:
This isnt 1980 anymore, The players have plenty enough power to play where they want. Especially a guy like Albert who was just franchised. If they try to put him at RT he will likely sit out and force Andy Reid's hand.

The Reid Era in Kansas City could certianly turn into a cluster---- real fast. Atleast it will be entertaining, hello Hard Knocks 2013
jetfuel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great friend of my dad lives in K.C and had season tickets for 20 plus years. They were great seats 10 yard line 5 rows back. He gave them up last year because of all the stupid moves K.C has made. I was shocked when he told me this. I guess a lot of fans and K.C want a change and his comments might have called for his release. "Never bit the hand that feeds you Eric" Yes we as fans pay for these out rages contracts. He also told me that not many K.C fans are not happy about Reid being head coach. I was shocked on this too because I thought it was a good hire.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: