Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

If we could . . . Which "big" free agent do you wa
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who would you rather have?
Reggie Bush
36%
 36%  [ 18 ]
Andy Levitre
18%
 18%  [ 9 ]
Jake Long
32%
 32%  [ 16 ]
Cliff Avril
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Charles Woodson
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Other
10%
 10%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 49

RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: If we could . . . Which "big" free agent do you wa Reply with quote

We know right now that the Lions don't have a ton of room under the cap, so they'll probably be pretty limited with regards to what they can pull off in free agency. Even so, there are a number of fairly big-deal free agents that we might pursue if we can get this Stafford extension done and relieve the cap by a few million.

Let's assume that the following free agents are interested in signing and we can sign only one. Who do you want?

1) Reggie Bush, RB, Miami - Bush is 28 years old and has spent most of his career as a speedy complement to sturdier backs in New Orleans. He might not have many good years left, but he is coming off two relatively productive seasons in Miami and probably won't command a heavy salary. He could take the role that was meant for Jahvid Best.

Positives - Speed, receiving ability, likely a moderate salary, ability to contribute in the return game.

Negatives - Durability concerns, questionable ability to run between the tackles, may not be able to handle a full workload, fairly old for a RB

2) Andy Levitre, OG, Buffalo - Levitre is 26 and generally considered a very good--albeit not elite--guard. He's paved the way for Fred Jackson and CJ Spiller in Buffalo and played under new Lions' RB coach Curtis Modkins last year.

Positives - Balanced guard who provides a significant upgrade over Peterman and probably also Rob Sims, is in his prime, has started 64 consecutive games since entering the league.

Negatives - Likely expensive, probably not quite as good as last year's top free agent guards (Carl Nicks and Ben Grubbs) although he might command similar salary numbers

3) Jake Long, OT, Miami - Long is 27, a local product (Lapeer West HS, University of Michigan), and former #1 overall pick. He's spent his career to this point at left tackle, though he may switch to right tackle depending on who signs him.

Positives - Elite size/strength, tons of experience, great run blocker, four time Pro Bowler and one-time All Pro, is in his prime

Negatives - Better run blocker than pass blocker, there's been talk about him moving to right tackle, has struggled with injuries over the last two years that may have hampered his ability, is reportedly looking for $11 million a year

4) Cliff Avril, DE, Detroit - Avril is 26 and has spent his entire career with . . . well, the Lions. He has shown steady improvement during his career until he apparently peaked in 2011 and regressed somewhat in 2012.

Positives - We know he can thrive in our system, has made a habit of forcing fumbles, has excellent top speed for getting upfield to make tackles

Negatives - Undersized, not great against the run, regressed from 2011-2012 (although 2012 was roughly in line with his 2010 production), doesn't log workhorse-type snap counts

5) Charles Woodson, S, Green Bay - Woodson is a possible future Hall of Famer, but he's 36 years old. He's spent most of his career at CB but made the switch to safety last year.

Positives - Multi-faceted player who can help against the run and the pass, hits hard, has great experience and leadership capabilities

Negatives - Will probably want to play for a contender, has lost a step in his old age, spent most of last year injured

There are several others out there, but these are just five I thought I'd throw in for the sake of opening discussion. Who do you want?

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for three years running!)
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bush for me.

Can't afford Long. Avril isn't worth what he wants. Woodson is too old for anything longer than 2 years. Levitre would be great, but Bush would have a greater impact and it's harder to get a player like Bush than a player like Levitre.

R.I.P. Stylish
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for me, I want Bush. I wasn't too high on the idea at first, but I don't think his market value is going to be super high--probably somewhere in the same range as his $5 million salary over the last two years--and I think that the role he plays is one that's vital to our offensive gameplan. We've really missed having Jahvid Best, Mayhew has admitted that not replacing him was probably his worst mistake of last offseason, and bush is the perfect way to rectify that situation. We could always try to draft someone in the middle rounds to fill that role, but Bush is a known quantity. Our running back chart is really cheap right now with Leshoure counting less than $1 million against the cap and Bell almost certainly getting $630K (he's an ERFA, so he has to take whatever we offer him or retire, and $630K is the vet's minimum for a 3rd year player). Bringing in Bush for $5 million gives us three RBs that, I think, would form a good platoon for about $2.16 million apiece on average.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for three years running!)
LION KING

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would sign Jake Long why risk looking for a good tackle in the draft when you can sign one of the best in the Game.

Out of these players I would take Long over all of them I would take Steven Jackson over Reggie Bush anyway and Woodson is to old rather have 1st round Corner with Long no one would scream we should take a Offensive Tackle first round.

YEAH I SAID IT FROM DAY ONE I TAKE A P OVER CALVIN !

Last edited by LION KING on Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
DetroitWhat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bush 4 more years!
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take LeVitre.

Improving the oline allows other players to maximize potential.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
EhJae

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted Long but I was thinking money wasn't an issue. If I thought about that I would have voted Bush.
davisblack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EhJae wrote:
I voted Long but I was thinking money wasn't an issue. If I thought about that I would have voted Bush.

Same here. If money wasn't an issue I would love to have Long on the team.
2013 Adopt-A-Lion: #92 DE Devin Taylor
LionsFan630

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bush just makes the most sense.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Bush.

OL needs help, but I think we could address it from not only within the team, but in the draft. Wouldn't want to pay top dollar in that area right now. If levitre comes decently priced, i wouldn't complain.

I'd like to see Avril back with the team, but not for anywhere near what he's asking for. We need passrushers, but he's not elite. He looks better next to Suh. This is also an area I think we could address cheaper through the draft.

Charles Woodson has been one of my favroite players since college. but he's a shell of his former self and I'm not sure he'd even want to play here.

My order would be:

1. Reggie Bush
2. Andy Levitre
3. Cliff Avril
4. Jake Long
5. Charles Woodson
nagahide13

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
I would take LeVitre.

Improving the oline allows other players to maximize potential.

I agree. I think you can get your Bush type back in the mid rounds of the draft. A Jacquizz Rodgers type of guy.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Levitre

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would prefer Bush or Woodson not for sure which one over the other at the moment. Bush fullfills an element that our O needs. On the other hand Chuck is the type of leader that this young undiciplined team needs, he might or someone like him might just be what our team needs to turn the corner.
YlionsY

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bush or Levitre.
delmasthebeast

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to vote Chuck over, Reggie... I don't think there is more than a 5% chance of the signing unlike Bush, but I think the locker room presence and leadership is the biggest need. And a lot harder to find than an elusive receiving running back. With that said, Reggie is the top in that category.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: