Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Broncos will ask Dumerville to restructure.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 30, 31, 32  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad spellers of the world...UNTIE!
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great move. He is worth no more than 7-8 million. We have a bit of leverage it would seem with players of similar production being cut this offseason (Freeney, Abraham).
jolly red giant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donut wrote:

Ian Rappoport was tweeting his money becomes guarenteed the 5th day in league yr(17th if IRC) so they have to figure it out by then.

I suspect that Elway and Doom's agent have been talking about this for a while (probably since the end of the season) - the issue is just coming to a head now. There is probably a game of chicken going on but I expect that Elway has a top line that he is not willing to go beyond and if anyone is to fold it will be Doom.

The end of this will be based on whether Doom thinks he can get more money somewhere else than the Broncos are willing to offer - there might be a premium if he really wants to remain a Bronco - but at the end of the day the NFL always comes down to the numbers on offer in the contract. We can bandy around numbers on here about what we might think he's worth - the real question is what another team thinks he is worth (especially one that doesn't have any pass rushers).
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully we'll also ask him to stop sucking.

I don't want Dumervil or Freeney on this team.
jolly red giant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncsDominate wrote:

I think thats a pretty good number. If he gets cut I believe he would still cost us almost 5 mil in dead money. So pay him a base of 5 mil and a 2 to 3 mil signing bonus. He would still be a little overpaid but would be fair to both sides IMO. This would free up 5 to 6 mil in cap space.

From my reading of the contract information I believe that if Doom is released there will be zero salary cap hit for the Broncos. I may be wrong - so someone with greater knowledge than me can correct me if I am.

From when he signed the deal -
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/424177-what-denver-broncos-elvis-dumervil-will-actually-get-paid
Quote:
The contract is made up of rolling guarantees from year to year, meaning if Dumervil is still on the roster each year, he receives a guaranteed bonus. However, if he is released by the team before these points in time, he does not receive any of it...if Dumervil under-performs or gets injured, all the Broncos have to do is release him before the annual bonuses are given out.

Again - it appears that Doom has a base salary, a portion of which is paid in advance (march 17th this year) - i.e. its not a siging bonus - he received a signing bonus in the first year of $2.5million. If this is the case the Broncos hold all the cards.

rotoworld is reporting that the cap hit for 2013 is $15.6million - does this mean that if he is cut the cap hit is $2.4million?

Last edited by jolly red giant on Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:32 pm; edited 3 times in total
elwayfan07

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
Hopefully we'll also ask him to stop sucking.

I don't want Dumervil or Freeney on this team.

Anti,
You are way too intelligent and insightful a poster to make a comment like this. Dumervil doesn't suck. He is one dimensional. He is good at his one dimension. However, he is not worth 12 million. Saying that he sucks is a classic overreaction. However, he will most likely be cut. And I don't think Denver will miss him too much.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jolly red giant wrote:
BroncsDominate wrote:

I think thats a pretty good number. If he gets cut I believe he would still cost us almost 5 mil in dead money. So pay him a base of 5 mil and a 2 to 3 mil signing bonus. He would still be a little overpaid but would be fair to both sides IMO. This would free up 5 to 6 mil in cap space.

From my reading of the contract information I believe that if Doom is released there will be zero salary cap hit for the Broncos. I may be wrong - so someone with greater knowledge than me can correct me if I am.

From when he signed the deal -
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/424177-what-denver-broncos-elvis-dumervil-will-actually-get-paid
Quote:
The contract is made up of rolling guarantees from year to year, meaning if Dumervil is still on the roster each year, he receives a guaranteed bonus. However, if he is released by the team before these points in time, he does not receive any of it...if Dumervil under-performs or gets injured, all the Broncos have to do is release him before the annual bonuses are given out.

Again - it appears that Doom has a base salary, a portion of which is paid in advance (march 17th this year) - i.e. its not a siging bonus - he received a signing bonus in the first year of $2.5million. If this is the case the Broncos hold all the cards.

On the other end of the scale - rotoworld is reporting that the cap hit if Doom was released is $15.6million - if this is the case then Doom has the upper hand.

Rotoworld is 100% wrong. If he is released before March 17th his cap him will be small.

Thanks, Tzimisce
jolly red giant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:

Rotoworld is 100% wrong. If he is released before March 17th his cap him will be small.

You are right 67 - I read it wrong - the cap hit is $15+million if he stays on the team - it looks like maybe a million if cut.
Winder23

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jolly red giant wrote:
broncos67 wrote:

You are right 67 - I read it wrong - the cap hit is $15+million if he stays on the team - it looks like maybe a million if cut.
I find this site to be very reliable.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/elvis-dumervil/
jolly red giant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winder23 wrote:

I saw that one - from that it looks like $1.5million is the cap hit.
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elwayfan07 wrote:
Anti,
You are way too intelligent and insightful a poster to make a comment like this. Dumervil doesn't suck. He is one dimensional. He is good at his one dimension. However, he is not worth 12 million. Saying that he sucks is a classic overreaction. However, he will most likely be cut. And I don't think Denver will miss him too much.

Rubbish. Most of Dumervil's sacks this season have been fluke plays(like the Safety against the Texans was a play where he was untouched, or the sack against New England came because of someone else's work where all Dumervil did is clean up the play etc) or they've come against the Chargers who had the worst pair of Tackles in football last year. On most passing plays, Dumervil is a non-factor. That he sucks against the run is only fuel to the fire at this point. Elvis Dumervil sucks. He was not a good pass rusher or run defender last year. I don't want him on the team.
AKRNA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll find out a lot about the man shortly and what motivates him. He's already made a fortune. No way can he be so self delusional that he feels he's worth the money he's scheduled to make this year.

His best chance to get a ring or two is right here as a situational pass rusher. We'll see.
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He better take whatever the Broncos offer him to be honest. The market is full of one trick ponies this year; Doom, SP95, Abraham, Freeney, Pace, Scott, rumour a of one of the Steeler LB's this is going to be an odd year of FA & I don't think it's a good one. Better to take a paycut and stay where you know you're going to look better then average.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No to Freeney, his run D is even worse than Dumervil's.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jolly red giant wrote:
Winder23 wrote:

I saw that one - from that it looks like $1.5million is the cap hit.

Where are you finding this number? I am looking at the 2013 cap hits. There is a column titled "Dead Money." I believe this is the cap hit (because this is the balance of the guaranteed money on his last contract) if he were to cut him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 2 of 32

Jump to: