Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Could Eric Winston be out?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Could Eric Winston be out? Reply with quote

He counts against the cap $4.9MM this year, was selected by the previous regime, and ultimately was very underwhelming this past year.

Daniel Jeremiah on NFL network keeps saying Joeckel is still the pick at #1 because Winston could be out.

Seeing our cap situation, I could definitely see it as an option.

How would you feel if we cut Winston?

And KC_Guy, how much dead money would we eat?

^ryknowssd on the sig
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this somewhere when DT was talking about some media people commenting that Winston might be cut (it might be the same source you mentioned)....I can't find my post right now, but IIRC, we would take a decent hit in 2013 (a couple of million I believe) and a $300,000 hit, again IIRC, in 2014. I will try and look up the numbers. KC_Guy could confirm or correct.

Edit : That was without knowing about any possible guaranteed money in 2013 or 2014.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I couldn't find my original comment to copy and paste, so here is the information :

2013 base salary of $4,900,000
2013 prorated signing bonus of $2,100,000

2014 base salary of $3,900,000
2014 prorated signing bonus of $2,100,000

2015 base salary of $3,900,000
2015 prorated signing bonus of $2,100,000

2013 cap hit for being cut of $1,400,000
2014 cap hit for being cut of $300,000
2015 cap savings for being cut of $1,800,000

wwhickok

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If KC drafts an OT #1 Overall, that's your answer.
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nic, I remember the same thing. What I basically thought we decided was it wouldn't clear ANY money this year, and as such there really is NO reason to cut him.
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
Nic, I remember the same thing. What I basically thought we decided was it wouldn't clear ANY money this year, and as such there really is NO reason to cut him.

Well, based on the above, you could clear roughly $3.5 MM. If that is indeed the case, I wouldn't be opposed to it. That could turn in to at least 2 or maybe even 3 vets along the lines of Terrence Copper.

I also was simply not very impressed with Winston, especially in pass pro, which we knew wasn't his strong suit, but he also was just meh in run blocking.

^ryknowssd on the sig
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ry, yeah not sure why it looks so different today. Maybe cause I asked it last time on a Monday?

The issue I have is, do we then keep Albert, and slide Stephenson over to RT, which doesn't clear as much money. Or do we still try to trade Albert, keep Stephenson and Winston...draft whomever.

OR do we get out of both guys, and let the #1 pick and Stephenson duke it out for both slots?
ryknowssd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
Ry, yeah not sure why it looks so different today. Maybe cause I asked it last time on a Monday?

Eh?

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Oooohhhh YEAHH!!! WOO PIG SOOIE!
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meaning I was not at the top of my game, and must have missed something when I read it. Because I truly thought we would end up negative if we cut him, not clearing any money.

My issue then still remains, we've now cut a guy to create a hole on our team? Would you then advocate to keep Albert and start Stephenson on the right side? Or do we still draft a tackle.

Would there be ANY trade value for Winston? He's got pretty big numbers and didn't have the best season last year. Wonder if we can take the week's worth of meals, and hotel stay that it took to sign him off his contract.

Last edited by DT58_lives_on on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
DT58_lives_on wrote:

Well, based on the above, you could clear roughly $3.5 MM. If that is indeed the case, I wouldn't be opposed to it. That could turn in to at least 2 or maybe even 3 vets along the lines of Terrence Copper.

I also was simply not very impressed with Winston, especially in pass pro, which we knew wasn't his strong suit, but he also was just meh in run blocking.

How would we clear $3.5? As I understand it, the prorated portions of the signing bonus would be escalated into the year he is cut. In this case, if we cut him in 2013, the entire remaining signing bonus would count against the 2013 cap. The savings would come when the prorated signing bonus is lower than the base salary.

Am I missing something?

DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How would we clear $3.5? As I understand it, the prorated portions of the signing bonus would be escalated into the year he is cut. In this case, if we cut him in 2013, the entire remaining signing bonus would count against the 2013 cap. The savings would come when the prorated signing bonus is lower than the base salary.

Ok, so I'm not a crazy person, I just don't understand the cap. Guess we'll have to wait for the Cap Guru to explain in lay terms.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
Quote:

Ok, so I'm not a crazy person, I just don't understand the cap. Guess we'll have to wait for the Cap Guru to explain in lay terms.

DT,
I don't think you are crazy, well not in this case! LOL
KC_Guy could confirm or correct, but this contract seems to be pretty simple because we are only talking three remaining years on the contract and from what I can tell there is no guaranteed amounts in 2013, 2014, or 2015.

So basically when you consider that the signing bonus has been prorated (spread out) over the life of the contract (IIRC, the CBA allows for the signing bonus to be equally spread out over up to 5 years) if you cut a player, the remaining prorated signing bonus amounts that are allocated to future years is then escalated or drawn into the league year that the player is cut in.

As I understand it, obviously the future base salaries are then wiped off of the books in the league years in which they were scheduled.

I probably am not explaining my understanding very well. Sorry for the confusion if I am not making sense.

DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nic, I understand what you're saying. I think I'm gonna tweet Schefter/Mort etc. And see what they think. Not a huge fan of Jeremiah, and this reeks of a story that he is trying to heat up, to say he was on the lead cusp.
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
bigschmadt00 wrote:
DT58_lives_on wrote:

Am I missing something?

It was this that had me seeing $3.5MM in savings:
nicfre2011 wrote:
2013 cap hit for being cut of $1,400,000

So what would we have to eat this year if he was cut?

^ryknowssd on the sig
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what Nic is saying, and I obviously could be wrong is. His understanding is that we'd be charged the 6.3 million for his signing bonuses as well.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: