Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Worst Case Scenario Draft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TROJANPANTHER

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Worst Case Scenario Draft Reply with quote

I saw on another website a hypothetical draft scenario where all the favorite Panther prospects were gone in which the draft went like this:

KC: Joekel
JAX: Mingo
OAK: Floyd
PHI: Fisher
DET: Millner
CLE: Patterson
ARI: L. Johnson
BUF: G. Smith
NYJ: Ansah
TEN: Star
SD: Warmack
MIA: K. Allen
TB: S. Richardson

In this scenario, if it is not possible to trade down, who are you taking?

Do you go with the BPA approach with either Werner, J. Jones, or Jordan?

Or do you take the position of need with Vaccarro, Rhodes, or Cooper?

Personally, I think you go BPA with Werner. Gives us another player to rush the passer and a contingency plan if we can't resign Hardy.

Carolina Kitten - Sig God.

NFL - Panthers
College - USC, UNM

Last edited by TROJANPANTHER on Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
brandonray99

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You left out #10. Tenn taking Star Lotulelei

1- Trade down (if possible) - It would be a stretch seeing as how all the seemingly good players are gone, however, there are still many QBs and project stars available for a team that wants to roll the dice.

2- Johnathan Cooper G UNC - Fills a need. Better athlete than Warmack. Stays close to home (Panthers are his fav team actually).

3- Kenny Vaccaro S Texas - Instinctual and can cover the slot. Neutralized Tavon Austin this year. Much better than anything we have right now.

Jordan doesnt really fit our scheme as well as he would in a 3-4. Jones would be an upgrade/insurance to Anderson at SLB. I could almost make a case for DeAndre Hopkins at WR after his bowl performance but it may be a little too early at 14. Would anyone consider Eifert here? Idk.. We have a lot of holes but he would be another weapon for Newton.

I would be glad to see Richardson go ahead of us because I dont see the infatuation. He will get pushed around in the bigs just like Bama did to him. He reminds me of a quicker/more athletic Terrell McClain. We need a serious run stuffer.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brandonray99 wrote:
You left out #10. Tenn taking Star Lotulelei

1- Trade down (if possible) - It would be a stretch seeing as how all the seemingly good players are gone, however, there are still many QBs and project stars available for a team that wants to roll the dice.

2- Johnathan Cooper G UNC - Fills a need. Better athlete than Warmack. Stays close to home (Panthers are his fav team actually).

3- Kenny Vaccaro S Texas - Instinctual and can cover the slot. Neutralized Tavon Austin this year. Much better than anything we have right now.

Jordan doesnt really fit our scheme as well as he would in a 3-4. Jones would be an upgrade/insurance to Anderson at SLB. I could almost make a case for DeAndre Hopkins at WR after his bowl performance but it may be a little too early at 14. Would anyone consider Eifert here? Idk.. We have a lot of holes but he would be another weapon for Newton.

I would be glad to see Richardson go ahead of us because I dont see the infatuation. He will get pushed around in the bigs just like Bama did to him. He reminds me of a quicker/more athletic Terrell McClain. We need a serious run stuffer.

I don't know what you're talking about. Anxious

I agree with you about Richardson. However, I do not about Cooper. Personally, I don't think you should ever take a guard in the 1st round, unless maybe you're among the last few picks. I wasn't even considering Jordan due to him only fitting in a 3-4. Also think it's too early for Eifert/Ertz. If they're there in the 2nd that's a different story. For me it basically boils down to Werner vs. Vaccarro, and I'm a BPA kinda guy so I pick Werner.

NFL - Panthers
College - USC, UNM
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats hardly a bad situation. Vaccaro would be a very easy pick there.
TROJANPANTHER

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james.mcmurry13 wrote:

I guess it just depends whether you think Vaccarro is worth the 14th pick. I personally do not. I would be fine with the pick if it was him, but I'd also recognize that we would be reaching a bit to make it.

NFL - Panthers
College - USC, UNM
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TROJANPANTHER wrote:
james.mcmurry13 wrote:

I guess it just depends whether you think Vaccarro is worth the 14th pick. I personally do not. I would be fine with the pick if it was him, but I'd also recognize that we would be reaching a bit to make it.

Chances are he'll be gone by the time we pick.
brandonray99

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For me it basically boils down to Werner vs. Vaccarro, and I'm a BPA kinda guy so I pick Werner.

Out of all the holes on the team I can't justify taking a DE especially when we traded a 3rd last yr for Alexander. So basically after a breakout year from Hardy you would draft a rotational guy at DE? Werner appears to be a really good player but if he's not a JPP/Ware/Peppers talent, I can't spend a top 15 with the holes we have in the defensive backfield. I'm pretty sure they have to cut Gamble so we have to see what they do in free agency before we really see what we have to address.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james.mcmurry13 wrote:
TROJANPANTHER wrote:
james.mcmurry13 wrote:

Chances are he'll be gone by the time we pick.

Eh, I guess when I think of safeties who went in the first half of the 1st (Berry, Thomas, Taylor, Landry, etc.), I just don't think of Vaccarro as among that group. He's solid, but he's not an elite prospect like they were, IMO.

NFL - Panthers
College - USC, UNM
TROJANPANTHER

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brandonray99 wrote:
Quote:
For me it basically boils down to Werner vs. Vaccarro, and I'm a BPA kinda guy so I pick Werner.

Out of all the holes on the team I can't justify taking a DE especially when we traded a 3rd last yr for Alexander. So basically after a breakout year from Hardy you would draft a rotational guy at DE? Werner appears to be a really good player but if he's not a JPP/Ware/Peppers talent, I can't spend a top 15 with the holes we have in the defensive backfield. I'm pretty sure they have to cut Gamble so we have to see what they do in free agency before we really see what we have to address.

Same could've been said about Keuchly last season, although to a lesser extent. And that's exactly what the Giants did with their picks when Gettleman was there, so I dont think it's unreasonable to think that as more than possible if it were to go down that way. Additionally, the value we would be getting is tremendous. It's not like he would be a guy we thought would be going at 12 and he's there at 14, it's a guy who we thought would be gone top 5 and he's there at 14.

NFL - Panthers
College - USC, UNM
tbrown2699

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TROJANPANTHER wrote:
brandonray99 wrote:
Quote:

Same could've been said about Keuchly last season, although to a lesser extent. And that's exactly what the Giants did with their picks when Gettleman was there, so I dont think it's unreasonable to think that as more than possible if it were to go down that way. Additionally, the value we would be getting is tremendous. It's not like he would be a guy we thought would be going at 12 and he's there at 14, it's a guy who we thought would be gone top 5 and he's there at 14.

Werner is going to have a much higher rating on the Panthers draft board than any Safety, so in this scenario it is smart to draft DE. Also the Panthers need to look down the road and realize that they are going to have to pony up some big bucks for Cam, probably min. 15 million/year. If Frank Alexander continues to improve (along with drafting Werner) I could see the Panthers allowing Hardy to walk. I realize this does not specifically address a glaring need, but you don't pass up on talent just to fill a position of need in the first round.
Silverback47

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case I think we take Dion Jordan and laugh. Gettleman seems like the kind of GM who would take a top-five rated pass rusher and let the coaches worry about what to do with all the excess talent at that position. That would also give him leverage with Hardy's contract ending this year.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silverback47 wrote:
In that case I think we take Dion Jordan and laugh. Gettleman seems like the kind of GM who would take a top-five rated pass rusher and let the coaches worry about what to do with all the excess talent at that position. That would also give him leverage with Hardy's contract ending this year.

Well, there's no way he falls, not sure how the OP forgot him. Laughing

The HORNETS are back. Yes We Cam. Giancarlo <3.
schulman116

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silverback47 wrote:

Jordan is going at #4 or #5.....by some freak chance he is there....clearly he would be the pick....& just figure out how to use him as a rush OLB. Jarvis is quite intriguing but his injury history is way to risky....I would hope we trade down to the mid 20's & pick up more draft picks....just like we did with NYJ when we passed on Revis at#14....ended up with Beason&Kalil. That ultimately would be best for our franchise.

Vaccaro is sooo overrated.....sweet lord. He's a solid player. A similar guy that I project him to is Morgan Burnett.....has great instincts/ball hawk skills....but has average burst/recovery speed & gets toasted in zone coverage often. For a big saftey (6'0 214) he also misses an unacceptable amount of tackles. Both can be corrected but guys like Eric Reid, J.Cyprien, M.Elam, T.Jefferson, & B.Rambo will all have much more productive NFL careers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: