Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lions moving Reiff to OG??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
Jrugges wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
It does potentially draw into question the evaluation abilities.

It's not optimal to have your LT of the future playing guard.

Well...Hard to say. Did we as fans decide he was the LTOTF or did the staff? All I remember them saying was he was athletic enough to do alot of things.

Sounds like copout by staff for not being able to evaluate talent.

By not coming out with a true vision they can't be held accountable I guess

I guess you could try to spin it that way if you want. But the bottom line is we can't hold them accountable for our vision. I truly don't believe they ever said he was any more than an Oline.
Quote:
I think if hes a tackle, you play him as a tackle, Linehan said. I personally like guys playing the position theyre (ultimately) going to play.I dont think it hurts guys to get in (at guard) and learn. We have a philosophy of getting our best five out there and sometimes you have to do that. So youre willing to make that adjustment, but I think the preference is to keep him at the position he was drafted at.

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions-insider/article-1/Linehan-says-he-would-prefer-to-keep-rookie-Riley-Reiff-at-tackle-in-2012/69d660ba-f40e-4d1c-a294-2e4115c2a30d

Which says he can play guard and be a tackle....

That absolves them more than anything Sad

Must of missed that first quote, you know, the important one. The one where he doesn't backtrack the whole way. The one that says if he's a tackle he should be playing tackle... ? Wink

Ya, pretty amazing how you can make a quote mean anything you want when taken out of context, isn't it? Wink

The quotes are pretty clear. The only way to take it out of context is if someone is trying to. Wink

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
stylish313

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YlionsY wrote:
If we get someone like Fisher and have a line like this:

Fisher
Sims
Dom/Nagy
Reiff
Cherilus

And that line excels and improves our overall offense and we stick with something like where Reiff becomes all-pro then I don't care if Reiff is a "bust".

However, to me we just go lucky that Reiff fits somewhere. It is concerning that our future LT could only play guard.
I don't care if Reiff plays LT or RT, but if they don't believe he could be a starting NFL tackle already, then this is definitely another disturbing failure of prospect evaluation.

Personally, I really can't understand how they'd feel that Reiff couldn't at least be a stud RT. If he can't, then I'd say that I failed in my evaluation as well. Either that, or the Lions failed to develop a rookie with a ton of potential while they were busy playing him at fullback.
YlionsY

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
I don't care if Reiff plays LT or RT, but if they don't believe he could be a starting NFL tackle already, then this is definitely another disturbing failure of prospect evaluation.

Personally, I really can't understand how they'd feel that Reiff couldn't at least be a stud RT. If he can't, then I'd say that I failed in my evaluation as well. Either that, or the Lions failed to develop a rookie with a ton of potential while they were busy playing him at fullback.

Yep. Agreed. While I wouldn't say he busted because he becomes a successful guard in this hypothetical there should be major concerns in the evaluation department concerning prospects.

We were abysmal under Millen and there are some doubts starting to arise under Mayhew.

Something needs to be done if players like Reiff start to fail.
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YlionsY wrote:
stylish313 wrote:

Yep. Agreed. While I wouldn't say he busted because he becomes a successful guard in this hypothetical there should be major concerns in the evaluation department concerning prospects.

We were abysmal under Millen and there are some doubts starting to arise under Mayhew.

Something needs to be done if players like Reiff start to fail.

I mean, if Reiff winds up playing guard and it turns out he's a very good one, I can't really be upset at it. We drafted him at 23, not in the top five, so it's not like he'd be a salvaged bust like Leonard Davis or Robert Gallery (who were poor tackles, but very good guards). He's not earning a ton of money and as long as he's playing, I'm good with it. When they drafted him they did say he can play every position but center.

Of course, that necessitates finding another tackle, but if he doesn't play guard then we have to find a tackle and a guard. It doesn't change much.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
LION KING

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottom line when you draft a TACKLE to play Tackle then move him to Guard its because your guy can't play Tackle don't know why that's considered a good pick lol.

Yeah drafting a position of need then realizing afterwards he can't play the needed position is always a good pick lol. Rolling Eyes

YEAH I SAID IT FROM DAY ONE I TAKE A P OVER CALVIN !
stylish313

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LION KING wrote:
Bottom line when you draft a TACKLE to play Tackle then move him to Guard its because your guy can't play Tackle don't know why that's considered a good pick lol.

Yeah we drafted a Qb but he can't play it so move him to Punter lol. Rolling Eyes
Only reason Reiff wouldn't be a quality NFL tackle is because this staff failed to develop him. If that's the case, just another reason to bounce these clowns out of town.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LION KING wrote:

... no. Not necessarily. If you draft a guy to play tackle, and you feel he can be very good at the position, but find yourself able to draft an elite player at the same position one year later, moving him to guard (and him being a good one and upgrading that position as well) is both common sense and a great decision.

Upgrading this team? Adding quality contributors? Bah... what are these clowns thinking?! After all, Glassford doesn't need protection.

Team Stylish
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
LION KING wrote:

... no. Not necessarily. If you draft a guy to play tackle, and you feel he can be very good at the position, but find yourself able to draft an elite player at the same position one year later, moving him to guard (and him being a good one and upgrading that position as well) is both common sense and a great decision.

Upgrading this team? Adding quality contributors? Bah... what are these clowns thinking?! After all, Glassford doesn't need protection.

The only problem with this scenario is they haven't drafted an elite player yet.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
DrRay11

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suh = not elite. Okay then.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
LION KING wrote:

The only problem with this scenario is they haven't drafted an elite player yet.

I couldn't agree more. Most of this criticism is clearly premature. (And I said "find themselves in a position to draft one", which is more than likely.)

Team Stylish
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:

He's referring only to my statement, and the possible LT prospect(s) we'll be looking at with the #5 pick.

Team Stylish
DrRay11

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:

He's referring only to my statement, and the possible LT prospect(s) we'll be looking at with the #5 pick.

Ah. Hence all the "considering" talk, and not actually being done yet.
LION KING

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL I wouldn't be shocked if we drafted a Left tackle at 5 a few years down the road they move him to the other guard spot!

That's how much faith I have in the Lions front office making picks right now!

YEAH I SAID IT FROM DAY ONE I TAKE A P OVER CALVIN !
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LION KING wrote:
LOL I wouldn't be shocked if we drafted a Left tackle at 5 a few years down the road they move him to the other guard spot!

If we had an upgrade at LT, and he upgraded the "other guard spot", why would that be an issue?

Team Stylish
carlande

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
LION KING wrote:

If we had an upgrade at LT, and he upgraded the "other guard spot", why would that be an issue?

1) Guards aren't as valuable as OTs. The Lions and everyone thought Reiff would be groomed for the spot. If he can't be an OT he's devalued in terms of importance. Some guys argued that Reiff's being drafted in the latter half of the 1st makes it alright. Is Reiff a Ben Grubbs? I would have rather the team drafted Janoris Jenkins if that's the mentallity.

2) Who is this upgrade at LT? Some rookie...great. I doubt these rookies would be better than Backus. Even if one is better than Jeff Backus isn't it ashame that the Lions had to keep drafting OTs with the 1st pick back to back especially with all these FA's possibly leaving the team. The pick could have gone elsewhere. If Reiff could have been the guy? That never sounds good no matter how you sugar coat it.

3) Good Guard prospects have always been available in the mid-rounds of the draft. OTs not as much. So another large gap has possibly opened. A guard is an easier gap to fill. It would have been much easier to fill that gap in FA or the mid rounds of this draft.

4) Uncertainty about both Backus and Cherilus makes this an even greater blow.

5) Glassford was well protected last season. It's ridiculous that I'm having to waste my breath and focus of the draft on this position due to the Lions continual dismal circumstances.

Instead of the Lions correcting the real problems they had last year with the team, they are going to have to possibly hope to break even this FA and draft. If Backus is done, hopefully they re-sign Avril and Houston at the very least. If this ordeal of a completely inexperienced OL takes shape this team is taking a step back.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 5 of 13

Jump to: