Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lions moving Reiff to OG??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jrugges

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
I can't stand this line of reasoning.

If Reiff can be a solid starter (at the least) at OG, he isn't a wasted pick by any means. We took him because he was a great prospect and BPA, and now we're seemingly in a position to grab a stud OT at the top of the draft this year. If Fisher at OT and Reiff at OG gives us the makings of a great OLine: good. It sounds like a couple of quality picks that are improving this team significantly.

It's almost as if some would rather have drafted DeCastro for OG over Reiff, even if Reiff can be as good or better at the position, because it means our pick didn't "fail" at OT. And that's ridiculous. It's not about "failing" at OT: it's about being the best contributor possible for this team.

It's not the fact if he pans out to be the best guard or not, it's the fact he was drafted to be a OT, and pro-claimed future LT and he can't play either. They'll end up being LUCKY if he pans out as a great guard if he can't paly either tackle rather than looking like pure geniuses.

OF COARSE!!!!! I'm just saying... IF HE CAN'T. Still early, I mean a lot of funny stuff is said before the draft you can't trust much. I think he can be a solid LT, and a very good RT in this league so there isn't much to worry, imo, I'm just saying I'd be SOOO upset and have no faith in the staff.

Last edited by Jrugges on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:20 am; edited 2 times in total
detfan782004

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
It does potentially draw into question the evaluation abilities.

It's not optimal to have your LT of the future playing guard.

Well...Hard to say. Did we as fans decide he was the LTOTF or did the staff? All I remember them saying was he was athletic enough to do alot of things.

Sounds like copout by staff for not being able to evaluate talent.

By not coming out with a true vision they can't be held accountable I guess

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Joeckel or Fisher potentially being there @ #5, this wouldn't be a bad move at all (If they feel Reiff can succeed there). I'm starting to get the feeling Fox will indeed start at RT next season, which is why they brought back Hilliard on a two-year deal as assurance because of Fox's injury history.

My only concern is him being 6'6 would he block Staffords view.
carlande

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FA will completely determine the pick at this point.

Guys (nobody in particular) are trying to guess way to much this off-season. The lions have too many free agents to understand what is an overriding need.

I go on this site to try and figure stuff out sometimes but more and more I just walk away completely confused. Now this speculation on Reiff has me thinking about this man:

Jeff Backus-

I thought he was great last season, and I haven't heard whether or not he wants to play this year. If he does, the Lions won't find a better replacement in this CRITICAL year for the coaching staff and Stafford. The coaching staff has to trust the LT and right now Backus is the Lions largest need IMO.

If Backus can't play and Reiff is out of that equation that sucks. Either Fox if he can play LT or the Lions will have to fill in one of those rookies everyone is clamouring for.

Gosder-

If Gosder and Backus are both gone I've got a bad feeling about this team next season. Gosder has always been a decent pass-blocker. He only had problems against Watt last season

Stafford's pass blocking was only a real problem last year against Watt and Allen. I shudder to think what a healthy Clay Mathews and always problematic Jason Allen will do the rookies next year if that's who the Lions roll with.
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:

Well...Hard to say. Did we as fans decide he was the LTOTF or did the staff? All I remember them saying was he was athletic enough to do alot of things.

I guess you could try to spin it that way if you want. But the bottom line is we can't hold them accountable for our vision. I truly don't believe they ever said he was any more than an Oline.
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlande wrote:
FA will completely determine the pick at this point.

Once again, I disagree. That points to drafting for need. Something this regime has shown completely unwilling to do.
Rockcity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

their just baiting teams with this...they want someone to trade up thinking we will go LT. Atleast thats what i hope... teams have us pegged for either milliner or DE but saying things like this brings u to believe that now LT is a possiblity. even tho it is but we do have 4 on the team..not counting Gozzy.just draft talk imo..i couldn't even see riley being very good at guard, i see him as a RT myself
detfan782004

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:

I guess you could try to spin it that way if you want. But the bottom line is we can't hold them accountable for our vision. I truly don't believe they ever said he was any more than an Oline.

I wouldn't either if I was them. Would show their lack of vision.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:

Quote:
I think if hes a tackle, you play him as a tackle, Linehan said. I personally like guys playing the position theyre (ultimately) going to play.I dont think it hurts guys to get in (at guard) and learn. We have a philosophy of getting our best five out there and sometimes you have to do that. So youre willing to make that adjustment, but I think the preference is to keep him at the position he was drafted at.

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions-insider/article-1/Linehan-says-he-would-prefer-to-keep-rookie-Riley-Reiff-at-tackle-in-2012/69d660ba-f40e-4d1c-a294-2e4115c2a30d
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:

Quote:
I think if hes a tackle, you play him as a tackle, Linehan said. I personally like guys playing the position theyre (ultimately) going to play.I dont think it hurts guys to get in (at guard) and learn. We have a philosophy of getting our best five out there and sometimes you have to do that. So youre willing to make that adjustment, but I think the preference is to keep him at the position he was drafted at.

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions-insider/article-1/Linehan-says-he-would-prefer-to-keep-rookie-Riley-Reiff-at-tackle-in-2012/69d660ba-f40e-4d1c-a294-2e4115c2a30d

Which says he can play guard and be a tackle....

That absolves them more than anything Sad
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:

Quote:

I think the intentions of why they drafted Reiff were clear. In this article Mayhew talks about Reiff not being able to supplant Backus or Cherilous.
http://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions-insider/article-1/Martin-Mayhew-evaluates-the-2012-Detroit-Lions-draft-class/4f90fa89-ffbe-48f9-ab36-3593cf36b876

Schwartz said this following last years draft,

"Riley is a left tackle; he fits the criteria for that position: athletic, former tight end, the guy was a three-time state-champ wrestler. Went to Iowa as a tight end, they moved him. He comes from a great tradition of offensive linemen at Iowa. He's a good run-blocker and he's a good pass-blocker.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
Jrugges

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:

Quote:

Must of missed that first quote, you know, the important one. The one where he doesn't backtrack the whole way. The one that says if he's a tackle he should be playing tackle... ? Wink
YlionsY

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we get someone like Fisher and have a line like this:

Fisher
Sims
Dom/Nagy
Reiff
Cherilus

And that line excels and improves our overall offense and we stick with something like where Reiff becomes all-pro then I don't care if Reiff is a "bust".

However, to me we just go lucky that Reiff fits somewhere. It is concerning that our future LT could only play guard.
YlionsY

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really all speculation at this point. We land Levitre in FA and re-sign Cherilus then I think we go a completely different route in the draft and Reiff will be the LT.

If we don't re-sign Cherilus, put Reiff at LT/RT and draft Fisher. Then we have two potential solid bookends for a long time.
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jrugges wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:

Quote:

Must of missed that first quote, you know, the important one. The one where he doesn't backtrack the whole way. The one that says if he's a tackle he should be playing tackle... ? Wink

Ya, pretty amazing how you can make a quote mean anything you want when taken out of context, isn't it? Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 4 of 13

Jump to: