Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lions moving Reiff to OG??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
detfan782004

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X_Factor_40 wrote:
Reiff needs to start at Tackle or I'm willing to call it a terrible pick on the part of Mayhew and the Lions. They spent a year playing him as an extra OT/TE and now they want to move him to guard? He was the BPA they couldn't pass on but he can't start over Backus or fill the massive hole at RT? Sounds like a pretty big failure to me. Although, we do have to wait and see what happens in training camp and into the season.

Really becoming more apparent by day this regime lacks any vision.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detroitroar wrote:
No knock on Reiff, but I say we draft guys who we know where were gonna put them. We proclaimed we drafted Reiff to be our LT, and not even a year later hes a guard.

We admitted we dont know where to put Ronnell.

We werent sure at first where to put Spievey.

I agree with all of this. In the end if Reiff succeeds and is a probowl RG that's what matters. However it is disturbing that the staff has taken a player multiple times without being sure of their skill set/fit with the team - it doesn't exactly give me a lot of confidence going forward.
LION KING

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow just another bad pick bye Detroit if he's moved to Guard!

YEAH I SAID IT FROM DAY ONE I TAKE A P OVER CALVIN !
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't stand this line of reasoning.

If Reiff can be a solid starter (at the least) at OG, he isn't a wasted pick by any means. We took him because he was a great prospect and BPA, and now we're seemingly in a position to grab a stud OT at the top of the draft this year. If Fisher at OT and Reiff at OG gives us the makings of a great OLine: good. It sounds like a couple of quality picks that are improving this team significantly.

It's almost as if some would rather have drafted DeCastro for OG over Reiff, even if Reiff can be as good or better at the position, because it means our pick didn't "fail" at OT. And that's ridiculous. It's not about "failing" at OT: it's about being the best contributor possible for this team.

Team Stylish
El Duderino

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not like Reiff was a top 10 pick.

I'm not buying this as something that's already decided upon. If He does move to Guard, its probably only a temporary thing until Backus is gone.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El Duderino wrote:
Its not like Reiff was a top 10 pick.

I'm not buying this as something that's already decided upon. If He does move to Guard, its probably only a temporary thing until Backus is gone.

Temporary makes it worse! Ruining him by yanking him all around

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

If Reiff can be a solid starter (at the least) at OG, he isn't a wasted pick by any means. We took him because he was a great prospect and BPA, and now we're seemingly in a position to grab a stud OT at the top of the draft this year. If Fisher at OT and Reiff at OG gives us the makings of a great OLine: good. It sounds like a couple of quality picks that are improving this team significantly.

It's almost as if some would rather have drafted DeCastro for OG over Reiff, even if Reiff can be as good or better at the position, because it means our pick didn't "fail" at OT. And that's ridiculous. It's not about "failing" at OT: it's about being the best contributor possible for this team.

The last part is the killer for me. Most the people saying it is a wasted pick if he plays guard wanted DeCastro. So by that definition, wouldn't DeCastro been a wasted pick from the get-go?

Amazing to me how rules only apply when convenient.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

I think its more the fact he was drafted to be the LT of the future. If they drafted him as a LT and he's not good enough then it draws into question the teams ability to evaluate talent.

If he can be a quality guard then that's great but its secondary to him being a quality left tackle.

With them not seeming to go after Cherilus it would be expected that he would take over at RT but if he goes to guard then that means Fox and Hilliard are better.

Maybe this is just a stop gap measure and they are moving him to guard because they need a guard and he's best suited to play the position.

Only time will tell. To me its just symptomatic of a miss in their evaluation much like Speivey who got moved to safety.

What also bothers me is the apparent lack of interest in Cherilus. I don't know anything about the severity of his injury or what the blood treatment means but he had a great year last year and it would have been great to retain him.

It just raises more concerns about the oline and I was really hoping we would see RR and GC at the tackles. Sims and ? At OG and Dom at center.

Given that scenario they would have a good chance at completing the oline of the future with a guard and center.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all this is is a way to leave drafting BPA open for #5. Because there is a very real chance that will be a better LT prospect than Reiff ever was.
iLovetheLions

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^

I think the feeling at least for me is that i would have had decastro rated higher as an OG, and if we wanted an OG we should have just taken him. If reiff plays OG its cause he failed at tackle, doesnt automatically mean bad pick just means that he needs to be better than decastro or it was the wrong pick

Sllim Pickens wrote:
There should be a thread for UM fans and GB fans to sit and talk about how amazing their teams are with each other.
El Duderino

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had Mayhew or Schwartz ever come out and say they that he was the future franchise LT? I remember when they drafted him Schwartz had said they saw Reiff as someone that could play any position on the o-line.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

The last part is the killer for me. Most the people saying it is a wasted pick if he plays guard wanted DeCastro. So by that definition, wouldn't DeCastro been a wasted pick from the get-go?

Amazing to me how rules only apply when convenient.

It's not a wasted pick because the Lions need a guard. It does potentially draw into question the evaluation abilities.

It's not optimal to have your LT of the future playing guard.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
1King

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a lot of overreaction about something that might happen in the future or did you guys miss the "considering" part?

Not sure why people would consider him a bust if he wound up at OG anyway considering he was a later 1st round pick (the area where OG's typically start being taken). I guess maybe if you guys viewed him as a surefire big time LT only type prospect, but I always felt his best position would be at RT with added value as someone who could fill in at OG or LT occasionally.

Depending on the circumstances, maybe they want to get the best 5 OL out there and get him starting time (and then moving him out to OT next year) instead of him sitting on the bench and then throwing him out at OT with no starting experience. Most OL cross train anyway.

Then again, I'm just pointlessly speculating like the rest of you guys.

Ugh, stupid down time during the offseason.

El ramster wrote:
1king showing why he's one the best posters in this site.

candyman93 wrote:
1king is showing why he's awesome

TEAM STYLISH
Whiffleballtony

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people are looking at this wrong. Reiff playing guard in 2013 does not mean he will be a career guard. It sounds like the staff thinks Jason Fox is ready to start and this would allow them to get Reiff, Fox, and Backus all out on the field in 2013.
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
It does potentially draw into question the evaluation abilities.

It's not optimal to have your LT of the future playing guard.

Well...Hard to say. Did we as fans decide he was the LTOTF or did the staff? All I remember them saying was he was athletic enough to do alot of things.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: