Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lions moving Reiff to OG??
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Lions moving Reiff to OG?? Reply with quote

Quote:
@RapSheet: Interesting to hear how strongly #Lions are considering playing 2012 1st Riley Reiff at guard.

Would solidify our OGs. Nagy is supposed to be a good project C IIRC.

This would scream OT at #5 and remove OG. My mock is real! Cool

Sig bet
DrRay11

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anything's set in stone or predetermined at this point. I think Reiff is versatile enough to play either tackle or guard spot, and ultimately you need to get your best five up there. That very well could be Backus/Sims/Raiola/Reiff/Fox. It might also be Fisher/Sims/Raiola/Reiff/Backus. Lots of things still up in the air at this point, and if anyone's got the versatility to easily plug in at guard, it's probably Reiff.
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:
I don't think anything's set in stone or predetermined at this point. I think Reiff is versatile enough to play either tackle or guard spot, and ultimately you need to get your best five up there. That very well could be Backus/Sims/Raiola/Reiff/Fox. It might also be Fisher/Sims/Raiola/Reiff/Backus. Lots of things still up in the air at this point, and if anyone's got the versatility to easily plug in at guard, it's probably Reiff.
I agree. Their minds should be open. I still think Reiff is best as a RT but is more than capable as a LT. I think he can be an elite RT and decent-good LT. If we can get an elite LT here we are set for a long time IMO.

Sig bet
YlionsY

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:

I disagree. Put him in the spot he should be (either T) and keep him there so he can learn the position.

This isn't one of those no name projects to plug into the line and hope for the best. He is one of our bookends for the future and he should be starting there. Not jumping all around the line. Plug Backus into guard for all I care.

If he is best suited for G and that is his future spot then put him there and keep him there. I love his versatility and all but he isn't a backup Oline.

I want to see what we have in him and if it isn't tackle sobeit.
DrRay11

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YlionsY wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:

I disagree. Put him in the spot he should be (either T) and keep him there so he can learn the position.

This isn't one of those no name projects to plug into the line and hope for the best. He is one of our bookends for the future and he should be starting there. Not jumping all around the line. Plug Backus into guard for all I care.

If he is best suited for G and that is his future spot then put him there and keep him there. I love his versatility and all but he isn't a backup Oline.

So he's ruined? He barely played any tackle this year, but still played a lot of snaps.
YlionsY

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:
YlionsY wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:

So he's ruined? He barely played any tackle this year, but still played a lot of snaps.

Why is he ruined?
DrRay11

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, he's not. But you're saying it's wrong to "move him all around the line" without a lot of reason.
stylish313

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:
No, he's not. But you're saying it's wrong to "move him all around the line" without a lot of reason.
If he's gonna be a tackle they should play him at tackle.
DrRay11

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you play the lineup that gives you best chance to win.
YlionsY

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:

I think Reiff is/could be better than Backus.
I don't see a scenario where it makes sense to put Reiff at OG unless we take someone like Fisher in the first round and bring back Cherilus.

Fisher/Sims/C/Reiff/Cherilus

But that would be a permanent move.

I don't believe in playing Reiff at RG one year with washed up Backus getting another year at T. If the plan is having Reiff as a bookend.

Let him play his drafted spot and develop now. If he doesn't work out at T then move him to G and get another T ala Robert Gallery.

No sense in bouncing him around because he is versatile. I say stick him at his position and play him. I think he will do good at either T spot. I don't think he is ruined or wasted. I also think playing him at the T spot gives us the best chance to win if we don't draft a T in the first round.
LionsFan630

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they already have determined he's a OG then tough not to call him a bust right now considering they hyped him essentially as LT of the future.

Probably regret not taking DeCastro as well now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YlionsY wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:

I think Reiff is/could be better than Backus.
I don't see a scenario where it makes sense to put Reiff at OG unless we take someone like Fisher in the first round and bring back Cherilus.

Fisher/Sims/C/Reiff/Cherilus

But that would be a permanent move.

I don't believe in playing Reiff at RG one year with washed up Backus getting another year at T. If the plan is having Reiff as a bookend.

Let him play his drafted spot and develop now. If he doesn't work out at T then move him to G and get another T ala Robert Gallery.

No sense in bouncing him around because he is versatile. I say stick him at his position and play him. I think he will do good at either T spot. I don't think he is ruined or wasted. I also think playing him at the T spot gives us the best chance to win if we don't draft a T in the first round.

Backus might not be receptive to playing guard, in which case Reiff could still be the best option there for one year.

My point is there's a lot of ifs and buts that could put Reiff in as starter at guard temporarily rather than permanently, and I think Rapoport's/rotoworld's analysis is junk.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFan630 wrote:
If they already have determined he's a OG then tough not to call him a bust right now considering they hyped him essentially as LT of the future.

Probably regret not taking DeCastro as well now.
?

They haven't "determined he's a OG" yet because he's hasnt got a fair chance at LT. All it is saying is that if they retain Backus and feel confident in either Fox or Cherilus at RT that they will consider him at OG this year. It would also mean that Backus would have won the LT spot.

This is pure speculation.

R.I.P. Stylish
YlionsY

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't want to see him at OG on a temporary basis. I don't think it would be good for his development.

I don't care what Backus does. He needs to move (backup, RT if no Cherilus maybe, or G).

I think its time to see what we have in younger players and move on. I want to see what we have in Fox, Nagy, Reiff, etc rather than Dom and Backus.

We know what he have in them and their talent is diminishing due to age.
Jrugges

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about to say what Lions360 said. He's got to be considered another "bust" by this staff if he's moved to guard, especailly since DeCastro was starring them in the face with the same selection(though he got a fluke ACL injury). Cutting Peterman LAST year was prolly the right move after drafting DeCastro when we had the chance.

Whatever, #NoFaith #CleanHouse2013.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: